• 10,394,607 Posts
• 410,894 Topics
• 23,485 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 74   Go Down

Author Topic: All Things Kelly Bryant MERGED ó No New Threads  (Read 197827 times)

The Hogfather

Re: Kelly Bryant Threads**Merged**
« Reply #700 on: October 26, 2018, 09:57:37 am »

Kelly Bryant and Jonathan Nance visiting Mizzou for the Kentucky game this weekend hmmm

Theyíre going to win this weekend, too.

Surely the connection Bryant and Morris and his familiarity with Morrisí offense trumps all, right?

ricepig

« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2018, 09:59:45 am »

So....

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #702 on: October 26, 2018, 10:45:27 am »

Surely the connection Bryant and Morris and his familiarity with Morrisí offense trumps all, right?

Are you picking Mizzou to beat KY?

31to6

« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2018, 10:56:56 am »

They are capable of it. I think Kentucky is a better team.

Snell may have a great day. The Mizzou rushing defense isn't terrible (32nd), but good rushing teams have been able to run the ball on them.

If Mizzou can slow Kentucky's run game down, they will have a chance to win a close one because Kentucky's passing game is wretched.

The Hogfather

« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2018, 10:57:45 am »

By 10 or more.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #705 on: October 26, 2018, 11:00:08 am »

By 10 or more.

I was just curious who you meant by ďtheyíreĒ.

Hogwild

« Reply #706 on: October 26, 2018, 01:42:15 pm »

KC Star edition this morning

Kelly Bryant to visit this weekend
Clemson transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant will take an official visit to Missouri this weekend.  Give credit to Mizzou coach Barry Odom. Bryant could have visited anywhere in the country and yet here he is coming to Columbia.

Missouri is clearly a situation he likes more than others and for good reason. Out of the schools in the mix for him like Arkansas and North Carolina, Missouri is in the most stable shape and he would start for the Tigers the second he steps on campus.

Should Albert Okwuegbunam return, Bryant would be leading an offense with Jalen Knox, all three tailbacks and an offensive line that returns three starters. The defense would return a lot as well. I talked to Bryantís high school coach, Jeff Tate, who told me his former star player is all about fit and isnít going to choose a school for its name or location to home. Arkansas coach Chad Morris recruited Bryant to Clemson and is considered a favorite, but Bryant recently said that Baylor and Louisville are also on his radar.

010HogFan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #707 on: October 26, 2018, 01:53:34 pm »

lol garbage article

31to6

« Reply #708 on: October 26, 2018, 02:04:03 pm »

It remains to be seen whether Mizzou's new offense will be seen as a pro or a con by KB since it is quite different from what is used to running.

Mike Irwin

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #709 on: October 26, 2018, 02:07:19 pm »

Wouldnt that be the most Arkansas thing ever?  Highly desired QB wants to come to Arkansas to help turn this train around but we canít get him enrolled.
John White is no longer in charge.

HeathWimp

• All-American Hogvillian
  • AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #710 on: October 26, 2018, 02:14:01 pm »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Kelly Bryant's commitment is probably the key to Chad Morris lasting more than 3 years here.  If Bryant comes, we have an established, possibly superstar-level QB to take the reigns for a season.  This will give KJ the chance to redshirt and really learn the system.  We have our usual tough schedule, but if Bryant is there, we will be in the running to win 6 games.  He'll have some weapons at his disposal, but we are still losing a lot of players.  The lack of depth doesn't help either.  However, win 6 games and the fans have the all-important commodity needed to sustain interest during a total rebuild:  hope.

If Bryant doesn't come here, KJ will probably be forced into service as true Freshman, unless Morris decides to take it on the chin again with Storey at QB, so that KJ can redshirt.  Regardless of whether it is KJ or Storey, we will be hard-pressed to improve upon this year's 2-10/3-9 record.  This will further depress fan interest, which is already pretty low.  Recruiting will suffer as well, since the shine will be off Morris by that point, and he won't be able to point to on-field progress as a sign of improvement. 

If we have a losing season in 2019, that will be 5 losing seasons out of the last 8.  That would be tough for any coach to overcome.  If we get Bryant, I think we go 7-6 in 2019.  KJ will be ready to take over in 2020, and we may be able to get back to 8 wins most years

What does the board think?  Will Bryant keep us afloat?  Or will his rejection sink us all the way to the bottom?

hogfan14

« Reply #711 on: October 26, 2018, 02:18:31 pm »

Give Storey the receivers we have coming in next year and he would look much better IMO. He's definitely improved from the beginning of the season.

Would love to have Bryant too though. His athleticism would be a big difference in this system.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #712 on: October 26, 2018, 02:23:57 pm »

I donít believe that any one player is the make or break for a new coach. That being said I do think that with the type of offense he wants to play then the QB is critical to success maybe a little moreso than in some other types of offense.

a0ashle

« Reply #713 on: October 26, 2018, 02:24:01 pm »

I think it could make, but it won't break him if we don't get KB.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #714 on: October 26, 2018, 02:25:11 pm »

I think it could make, but it won't break him if we don't get KB.

Agree since he would only get to play one year iirc.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #715 on: October 26, 2018, 02:28:02 pm »

No one year player is going to break CM here. All his being here would really mean is we go into yr 3 with a qb with little experience on the field ( unless he were to bring in yet another grad transfer or get a regular transfer this year that sits out next year ).

HeathWimp

• AKA "Frank's Slap Rendition Camp"
« Reply #716 on: October 26, 2018, 02:30:52 pm »

I don’t believe that any one player is the make or break for a new coach. That being said I do think that with the type of offense he wants to play then the QB is critical to success maybe a little moreso than in some other types of offense.

I would normally agree, but Morris's system is so incredibly QB-Centric, I think it is an exception to the rule.  A QB who has the tools for that type of offense is really important.  I think Ty has done an admirable job, but at the end of the day he is not the threat to run that Bryant is.

SoonerSooie

• Senior
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #717 on: October 26, 2018, 02:32:07 pm »

Seems a pretty rash assessment-- no offense intended. To say that a single player, coming in for one year, will determine the success or failure of a coach in years three-five is a reach. Could Bryant give a tremendous boost to the program? I am satisfied that he could. But, to suggest that Jefferson cannot do the same in year two-four is to totally prejudge his capabilities and as well as the quality of the in-coming recruiting classes that at this time, have the potential to be some of the best in Hog history, thus, enhancing the potential for greater success than even Bryant can bring.

Just my two cents worth

The NewEra

« Reply #718 on: October 26, 2018, 02:33:39 pm »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Kelly Bryant's commitment is probably the key to Chad Morris lasting more than 3 years here.  If Bryant comes, we have an established, possibly superstar-level QB to take the reigns for a season.  This will give KJ the chance to redshirt and really learn the system.  We have our usual tough schedule, but if Bryant is there, we will be in the running to win 6 games.  He'll have some weapons at his disposal, but we are still losing a lot of players.  The lack of depth doesn't help either.  However, win 6 games and the fans have the all-important commodity needed to sustain interest during a total rebuild:  hope.

If Bryant doesn't come here, KJ will probably be forced into service as true Freshman, unless Morris decides to take it on the chin again with Storey at QB, so that KJ can redshirt.  Regardless of whether it is KJ or Storey, we will be hard-pressed to improve upon this year's 2-10/3-9 record.  This will further depress fan interest, which is already pretty low.  Recruiting will suffer as well, since the shine will be off Morris by that point, and he won't be able to point to on-field progress as a sign of improvement. 

If we have a losing season in 2019, that will be 5 losing seasons out of the last 8.  That would be tough for any coach to overcome.  If we get Bryant, I think we go 7-6 in 2019.  KJ will be ready to take over in 2020, and we may be able to get back to 8 wins most years

What does the board think?  Will Bryant keep us afloat?  Or will his rejection sink us all the way to the bottom?

I couldn't disagree more!  Next man up...Ö...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #719 on: October 26, 2018, 02:40:29 pm »

I would normally agree, but Morris's system is so incredibly QB-Centric, I think it is an exception to the rule.  A QB who has the tools for that type of offense is really important.  I think Ty has done an admirable job, but at the end of the day he is not the threat to run that Bryant is.

If Bryant were to come we have no way of knowing how any of the current freshmen or recruits might develop. Heck they could do great by the time Bryant was to be gone. Iím more concerned about developing depth and building the OL.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:15:03 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Erockster20

« Reply #720 on: October 26, 2018, 02:41:37 pm »

Why is the high school senior always thought to be the savior...every year!!  So this time last year, all we were told was Noland would be the greatest QB ever born his freshman year. Oh and I was told that when Storey was slinging it around in Charleston. And it goes on year after year. So now KJ will take us to the playoff next year. Iím pretty sure there are actually people on here that believe if he could have skipped his senior year he would have been better in the SEC than the QBs we already have on campus.

Could he be good?  Yes. But how about we actually let him sign his LOI before we think he will win the heisman.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #721 on: October 26, 2018, 02:43:28 pm »

Why is the high school senior always thought to be the savior...every year!!  So this time last year, all we were told was Noland would be the greatest QB ever born his freshman year. Oh and I was told that when Storey was slinging it around in Charleston. And it goes on year after year. So now KJ will take us to the playoff next year. Iím pretty sure there are actually people on here that believe if he could have skipped his senior year he would have been better in the SEC than the QBs we already have on campus.

Could he be good?  Yes. But how about we actually let him sign his LOI before we think he will win the heisman.

And how about we wait and see if Bryant comes here and if he does what happens after that as well.

Next1_04

« Reply #722 on: October 26, 2018, 02:46:51 pm »

If CM & Staff didn't have the class coming in, other than KB, I might see your point. Fact is we do have the class and we wait and see on KB.

Spektre

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #723 on: October 26, 2018, 02:58:13 pm »

A head coach in his first year on campus with possibly one of the best recruiting classes in school history lined up... and a one year rental QB's choice to pitstop is the tell all for the future of the program and coach? God I hope not.

Paul

« Reply #724 on: October 26, 2018, 03:01:31 pm »

I couldn't disagree more!  Next man up...Ö...
usually I'd agree but it hasn't worked for our QB or OL this year

AugustaHog

« Reply #725 on: October 26, 2018, 03:02:22 pm »

My dog stopped licking its butt last night and looked dead at me and said kelly bryant is going to lead the hogs next year to the CFP where he will be outshined by Trevor Lawrence and Clemson will beat the Hogs 39 to 28.
In before GoHogs comes on here and tells you there's no way in hell the Hogs could score 28 points against a Brent Venables defense.

Cambridge Hog

« Reply #726 on: October 26, 2018, 03:05:39 pm »

Disagree. Ty with a year of starts under his belt will be a big improvement from this year. Letís not forget what he and our offense did vs Bama. We need more depth on D and threats at the WR postion more than we need a one-year QB, IMO

Spektre

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #727 on: October 26, 2018, 03:08:38 pm »

Disagree. Ty with a year of starts under his belt will be a big improvement from this year. Letís not forget what he and our offense did vs Bama. We need more depth on D and threats at the WR postion more than we need a one-year QB, IMO

Someone finally gets it. Throw in a center that can keep from hiking the ball a country mile and we're sprinting the right direction.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #728 on: October 26, 2018, 03:18:27 pm »

I couldn't disagree more.

If anything, KJ Jefferson is more important than Bryant because he is expected to have a big impact on years 3 and 4 and 5 of Chad Morris's tenure here. KB's job is to make us more likely to get bowl eligible in year two, tutor a RSing KJ Jefferson, increase the eyeballs on the program with the splash transfer, give the program a big morale boost for year two, and help show the recruits what the program is moving toward.

Bryant is a one year fill-in player on a team that is not going to compete for the division. He can do a lot of great things for the program, but it's still going to be a big work in progress. Jefferson is guy currently connected to the program that can make or break it. But it doesn't necessarily have to be him. By years 4 or 5, maybe it's Chandler Morris or Jacoby Criswell that is behind center. Who knows? But KB would just be the icing on a really nice recruiting cake. Morris's staff has done an A+ job of recruiting. We are finally filling out a class with players the caliber necessary to compete at the highest levels of this conference. This class will win some football games long after KB has filed for the NFL draft.

hogfansince79

« Reply #729 on: October 26, 2018, 03:26:53 pm »

Yes, but only in moderation.

lol... Gen. Mitchell would be proud of you...

OkieBack

« Reply #730 on: October 26, 2018, 04:05:43 pm »

I'g go with this.  To add, I think KB wants to be with a program that will win 10 games next year.  That said it probably puts him somewhere other than Arkansas.  If KB played 1 year at Arkansas great, but it won't solve any QB issues in years 3 or 4.  I'd rather see Ty start and share time with the younger QB's.

Unless Ty just has a mega meltdown these last few games this season I think he's on track to finish up his Senior year as starting QB next year even though Coach may be grooming one of our young QB's to take over the reins in 2020.  Plus with Ty knowing the system that will go a long way in getting the new receivers on track next year.  Once Morris has 2 or 3 years with the same QB and receiving corp then I think we will see this offense really come to life.

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #731 on: October 26, 2018, 04:16:15 pm »

I cant think of much more less exciting things than to go into next year with either Storey or Kelly at the helm.  Time to thank both for their services and wish them luck elsewhere.

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #732 on: October 26, 2018, 05:03:42 pm »

Probably not a coincidence that Odom is bringing Nance in on the same weekend as Bryant.

Iím sure there will be no ex girlfriend advice on this.

https://twitter.com/nikkichavanelle/status/1055891816241942530?s=21

sickboy

« Reply #733 on: October 26, 2018, 05:30:56 pm »

Probably not a coincidence that Odom is bringing Nance in on the same weekend as Bryant.

Sorry -- what's the coincidence? To have Nance trash talk us or something?

mykidsdad

« Reply #734 on: October 26, 2018, 05:39:16 pm »

Disagree. Ty is tough, great competitor, and leader. However he has a terrible arm. Teams will soon figure that out and take away the short passing game away from us. When that happens we lose our running game as well.

Just play tight on our receivers and make Ty beat them over the top. That will stop our offense cold, this year and next. Watch the last few games and you will see this play out IMO.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #735 on: October 26, 2018, 05:44:49 pm »

Losing KB for next season won't hurt Morris at all, are you smoking crack?  Morris will survive at least 4 year if not 5 here, regardless of the outcome of his seasons.  If KB doesn't come, we will have Storey and Noland competing for the starting QB next season, and both no doubt will do us well under the circumstances, the being of how depleted the Oline will be.  The season of 2020, if Noland doesn't turn totally to baseball which I wish he would personally, then he and Jefferson will probably battle it out for the starting QB position for 2020 with a loaded WR core, and improved Oline, and and overall offense that should be one of the best in the SEC by then and a defense that at least should be middle of the pack in the SEC by 2020.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Dude I was the cool guy back in 76 look at me now
« Reply #736 on: October 26, 2018, 06:39:40 pm »

I'm not going to fret one bit about Jonathan Nance going to Mizzou. I don't recall him standing out in big moments for the Hogs. Also, if Kelly Bryant wants to go to that s-hole of a campus, have at it. We've done all we can do. Enough is enough.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #737 on: October 26, 2018, 06:56:23 pm »

KB visiting Mizzou the week after visiting us is a good thing.  Heíll see the direct contrast between facilities and tradition. 

Also, at least indirectly, Nance attending with him is a ďthis dude wasnít good enough to get catches at Arkansas, but Mizzou now wants himĒ moment.  Not particularly helpful for them.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #738 on: October 26, 2018, 07:01:17 pm »

Sorry -- what's the coincidence? To have Nance trash talk us or something?

I imagine that is what Mizzou is hoping for.

Pigcrazy

« Reply #739 on: October 26, 2018, 07:36:24 pm »

I think a former Juco recruited by the previous head coach will have no difference with KBís decision. Nance has had about the same amount of time around CCM and Craddock as KB has.  If KB doesnít come to Arkansas it will have no difference in KJ redshirting. Storey will be the starter and Nolan will back him up, if KB does come Storey will be the backup and Nolan goes baseball full time.

OLEJACKETFAN

« Reply #740 on: October 26, 2018, 07:38:49 pm »

Nance will not have any influence on KB. As I stated earlier there is about a 75% chance KB will be a HOG.

Cave City Joe

« Reply #741 on: October 26, 2018, 07:43:32 pm »

2 questions.
If KB is so good why doesn't he enter the NFL draft, he's graduating this year.
2nd..why does everyone always talk offense.  The problem with the Hogs is DEFENSE.  They make every QB look like a heisman winner.

ricepig

« Reply #742 on: October 26, 2018, 07:53:59 pm »

Nance will not have any influence on KB. As I stated earlier there is about a 75% chance KB will be a HOG.

I think most on here think he's comng, or definitely favoring us, but until he declares, I wouldn't know a %. I've read on other sites he's 100% coming and has told some he was, but this fan base has read that before.

ricepig

« Reply #743 on: October 26, 2018, 07:56:23 pm »

2 questions.
2nd..why does everyone always talk offense.  The problem with the Hogs is DEFENSE.  They make every QB look like a heisman winner.

We're recruiting a good defensive team, but if you don't think someone very familiar with the RPO offense and a willing runner won't help, then I'd like to know what you want in a QB?

sickboy

« Reply #744 on: October 26, 2018, 07:58:13 pm »

2 questions.

I've mentioned elsewhere, but Bryant isn't being graded by NFL scouts as a QB. He's being graded as a WR. I'm sure with Bryant it's that he either wants one more season of his life to get to play QB at this high a level or he believes he can show NFL scouts that he deserves to be seen as a QB.

Either way, Bryant isn't ready for the NFL this year and if your bar for who should be our QB is that they be good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL, then I got news for ya! There's only 32 of those guys, give or take, on the entire planet. And maybe one or two in all of college football.

King Kong

« Reply #745 on: October 26, 2018, 08:03:44 pm »

2 questions.

1.He isnít an NFL type player. That has nothing to do with ability to impact a program.

2. We have had major problems on offense. Offense is the reason we lost to A&M and Colorado State and North Texas. With a Kelly Bryant type we donít lose to Ole Piss or the previous games mentioned.

Do we have work need on defense? For sure. But this offense needs a Kelly Bryant

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #746 on: October 26, 2018, 09:07:23 pm »

2 questions.

Not sure where to start with this post...

STLhawg

« Reply #747 on: October 26, 2018, 10:08:09 pm »

I wonder if the field surface might have any impact on KB's decision at all?  Mizzou has artificial field turf, and I believe we are going to grass next year.  Clemson's stadium has grass.  I realize it won't be a big factor (if one at all) but it could still be something.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #748 on: October 26, 2018, 10:09:28 pm »

I wonder if the field surface might have any impact KB's decision at all?  Mizzou has artificial field turf, and I believe we are going to grass next year.  Clemson's stadium has grass.
I wonder if he likes coke or pepsi

Hatleyville454

• Varsity
« Reply #749 on: October 26, 2018, 10:14:30 pm »

1.He isnít an NFL type player. That has nothing to do with ability to impact a program.

2. We have had major problems on offense. Offense is the reason we lost to A&M and Colorado State and North Texas. With a Kelly Bryant type we donít lose to Ole Piss or the previous games mentioned.

Do we have work need on defense? For sure. But this offense needs a Kelly Bryant

The defense needs a Kelly Bryant too...all those 3 and outs and short fields kill them
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 74   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas