• 10,560,361 Posts
• 415,902 Topics
• 23,857 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 74   Go Down

Author Topic: All Things Kelly Bryant MERGED No New Threads  (Read 203469 times)

checkraiser88

Re: Kelly Bryant Threads**Merged**
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2018, 01:49:04 pm »

Stupid logic.
If you dont produce at that level, the deck is damn sure stacked against you at this one.

How is that stupid? The guy was making an argument that our QB's on our roster were just as good in high school. Meaning we don't need Bryant. Your logic is pretty dumb in my opinion.

Hogbit

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2018, 01:57:53 pm »

How is that stupid? The guy was making an argument that our QB's on our roster were just as good in high school. Meaning we don't need Bryant. Your logic is pretty dumb in my opinion.
I misinterpreted your post. Sorry.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

yraciv

« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2018, 04:04:41 pm »

Good thing college has nothing to do with high school production. Nice try though

Didn't say it does. Just thinking those who think KJ is the answer, and will come in as a true FR and play are naive . I hope like hell he is all sec caliber from day 1, but I was just stating that we have higher rated recruits with better high school stats he'll have to jump on the depth chart.

yraciv

« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2018, 04:10:05 pm »

I absolutely didn't say we don't need Bryant. Two post prior I said I'd take Bryant in a heart beat because he is better than Ty. My post was just addressing the people that fall in love with the HS QB recruit, and I was stating that I don't think he will come in  Day 1 and beat out whoever is left in our QB room next spring.

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2018, 04:11:41 pm »

OK...Gus was never coming here. Gruden was never coming here. AND... Bryant is never coming here. Move on.
As for the absolute last, nothing is final until it is.

dsf

« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2018, 04:12:09 pm »

Nah. An upperclassman doesnt transfer to help a team rebuild. He's looking to win now.

Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, etc

Bryant is only going where he is promised the starting job...no more, no less.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2018, 04:15:24 pm »

Its this.  Also looking to go somewhere he can have success in his last year- so an offense that he knows or can pick up quickly.

I don't think its likely he ends up here next year, but we have a shot.

Hogbit

« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2018, 04:20:01 pm »

Well if thats the case, i hope its not here.

dsf

« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2018, 04:20:48 pm »

That being said I know what Kelly Bryant is. He is a proven, high level, dual threat that Morris seems to like controlling his offense. I also believe he is a better QB than Ty Storey, so I'd be happy to sign him up for a year.

I believe you totally overestimate KB.  I live in NC and my Clemson (analytical, I might add) friends have told me for over a year how limited they were with him.  He is not a good passer, other than short stuff.  And, he is very poor reading the option.  His saving grace is scrambling.  Very quick and dangerous when scrambling.

checkraiser88

« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2018, 04:37:14 pm »

Well if thats the case, i hope its not here.

Why? So we can rotate QBs to week 4 again?

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2018, 04:42:07 pm »

Unless you know the young man and/or you've spoken to him directly I seriously doubt you know exactly what his criteria is.

thebignasty

« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2018, 04:49:36 pm »

Unless you know the young man and/or you've spoken to him directly I seriously doubt you know exactly what his criteria is.
He announced he was redshirting and transferring from championship contender Clemson the moment he lost his starting gig there. Think that makes it pretty clear what he's looking for.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2018, 05:01:49 pm »

He announced he was redshirting and transferring from championship contender Clemson the moment he lost his starting gig there. Think that makes it pretty clear what he's looking for.
Well.....have you ever considered that may NOT be the absolute ONLY criteria he's checking out? I mean it would make very little sense for him to choose a program that doesn't fit his skill sets merely to be named the starting QB. I'm sure that there a number of programs that would like him as their signal caller next year. However, it also makes perfect sense that in order for him so succeed his abilities would best be put to use by selecting an offense that does. Here's an radical suggestion: he selects a program that runs an offense he's already familiar with/best fits his skill sets AND that doesn't already have a "set in stone, not going to supplant QB" already in place? Not saying this does/doesn't mean he eventually chooses the Hogs; just saying there is likely more than just one factor to consider on his part. So back to your court..........

thebignasty

« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2018, 05:08:46 pm »

Well.....have you ever considered that may NOT be the absolute ONLY criteria he's checking out? I mean it would make very little sense for him to choose a program that doesn't fit his skill sets merely to be named the starting QB. I'm sure that there a number of programs that would like him as their signal caller next year. However, it also makes perfect sense that in order for him so succeed his abilities would best be put to use by selecting an offense that does. Here's an radical suggestion: he selects a program that runs an offense he's already familiar with/best fits his skill sets AND that doesn't already have a "set in stone, not going to supplant QB" already in place? Not saying this does/doesn't mean he eventually chooses the Hogs; just saying there is likely more than just one factor to consider on his part. So back to your court..........

Its this.  Also looking to go somewhere he can have success in his last year- so an offense that he knows or can pick up quickly.

Hogbit

« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2018, 05:12:58 pm »

I dont  know that will happen again. Neither do you.

rtr

« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2018, 08:09:38 pm »

Which part? If it was the poor attempt at humor then I agree. You'll have to forgive my suspicion that that wasn't it however since there are so many sunshine pumpers on this site trying to turn a 30+ point loss into a highwater mark for Arkansas football. If that's your problem you need help- and a little reality testing.
Not trying to turn it into a high water mark, just some evidence that we have finally seen the bottom since Bret Bielema threw our program into the abyss. 

I will say this though, we need to get competitive again, with Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M and Missouri.  You are right about that.

Paul

« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2018, 08:26:28 pm »

It's between us and Auburn. That's what I hear. Don't know how it'll shake out, but whatever Jared Stidham does at the end of this season will probably play a part. Supposedly he's on the fence if he's going to head to the NFL draft after this year.
after last nite's performance he's prolly off the fence.

The Hawgman

« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2018, 08:54:14 pm »

after last nite's performance he's prolly off the fence.
If it is between us and au if he waits until after they play Bama we will probably be in a good position
Bama will mop floor with the Tiggers and the million dollar man IMO
I predict it will look worse than our game.

Dropkick

• I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2018, 09:50:11 pm »

If it is between us and au if he waits until after they play Bama we will probably be in a good position
Bama will mop floor with the Tiggers and the million dollar man IMO
I predict it will look worse than our game.
While I think Bama will easily beat Auburn. They wont score at will against the Tiger defense like they did on us.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2018, 09:53:14 pm »

We need to give KJ a year in my opinion so either Ty keeps growing as a Qb and we roll with him or we take KB for a year. Most of us hope that KJ is the future because he's already and it'd be nice if it were that easy.
I for one hope he's the next Deshaun Watson but I don't expect to see it for about 3 years.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2018, 09:57:28 pm »

While I think Bama will easily beat Auburn. They wont score at will against the Tiger defense like they did on us.

I dunno...if Auburn struggles to move the ball as much as they have recently, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some quit from the defense.  Anything less than 100% effort, and Bama is going to put up video game numbers on any CFB team this season. 

(In before GoHogs101 lectures me on how great Venables' defense is, and that they will stop Bama in their tracks)

PigWig

« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2018, 10:13:18 pm »

FYI - KJ's numbers this year aren't record shattering. He has thrown 13 TD and 5 INT in 7 games. Now maybe his WR aren't as strong this year, and they aren't all his fault, but if you were to look at just HS production, I'm pretty sure JSJ, Noland, and Storey all had better numbers their SR year.
KJs numbers are skewed because he doesnt usually play after halftime. His team has won all but one game this year by 4 TDs or more.

hoglady

« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2018, 10:21:17 pm »

All I know is if Bryant comes here with a promise to start - Storey probably will and should transfer.
Then Bryant better bring it - and be a lot better than Storey.

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2018, 10:26:03 pm »

There will be no promise to start.

Hogbit

« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2018, 10:55:31 pm »

There will be no promise to start.
Lets hope not.

HogCzar1

« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2018, 11:11:16 pm »

All I know is if Bryant comes here with a promise to start - Storey probably will and should transfer.
Then Bryant better bring it - and be a lot better than Storey.

I don't think that Chad would promise Kelly Bryant anything, other than a chance to compete. On the other hand, Chad's job is to make our team better. If Bryant transfers here, and wins the job, then he should be the QB. No questions asked.

Ty is getting better, and has competed well. However, he is not entitled to be the QB moving forward unless he is the best we have at the position. And, we need better players at nearly every position in order to be successful in the SEC.

AugustaHog

« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2018, 11:33:24 pm »

I would say no promise other than a chance.  Id tell him to pop in a Storey highlight reel and figure whether or not he can beat him out.  If no, thanks for the interest.  Winner takes all. 

Hogbit

« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2018, 11:36:39 pm »

It wont be just TS either.

hoglady

« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2018, 08:01:51 am »

I don't think that Chad would promise Kelly Bryant anything, other than a chance to compete. On the other hand, Chad's job is to make our team better. If Bryant transfers here, and wins the job, then he should be the QB. No questions asked.

Ty is getting better, and has competed well. However, he is not entitled to be the QB moving forward unless he is the best we have at the position. And, we need better players at nearly every position in order to be successful in the SEC.

I didn't say Storey was entitiled to start next year.
It was being discussed that Bryant wasn't going to a school without a promise to start.
If he gets that to come here - Storey should transfer.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2018, 09:19:03 am »

At this point I'm not sure a "hired gun for 1 year is the best fix. The recruits coming in seem to be sold on the team comradery and Morris being a fatherlike figure. I know this is totally different from what I've thought before. Just how much will a quick fix at QB change the outcome without a bunch of new O linemen. I'm not lobbying for Storey as he's still missing some big plays but he is getting much better and the team dynamic with him as leader seems to have taken off. So just how many more wins do we think we can achieve with a Kelly Bryant over Ty and is that worth it to disrupt Morris's roll with recruiting? Just thinking out loud here.
What if Ty's performance in the second half of the season gets ridiculously better?

Hogbit

« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2018, 09:34:43 am »

At this point I'm not sure a "hired gun for 1 year is the best fix. The recruits coming in seem to be sold on the team comradery and Morris being a fatherlike figure. I know this is totally different from what I've thought before. Just how much will a quick fix at QB change the outcome without a bunch of new O linemen. I'm not lobbying for Storey as he's still missing some big plays but he is getting much better and the team dynamic with him as leader seems to have taken off. So just how many more wins do we think we can achieve with a Kelly Bryant over Ty and is that worth it to disrupt Morris's roll with recruiting? Just thinking out loud here.
What if Ty's performance in the second half of the season gets ridiculously better?
Exactly. Let this guy come over if he wants to, but no promises.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2018, 09:37:41 am »

Great post.  I've wondered this for awhile.  If you're an incoming Fr., or lets say you've red shirted, and you see a Grad transfer come in from another school with 3-4 years experience take the starting job, I wonder what that does for overall team morale.  I'm not specific to the UA, but to ANY school who takes that avenue.  If you're a Fr. RS Fr., or Soph....maybe that's not a huge deal, because you have time to learn and take over when he leaves.  But...if you're going to be a Jr. or Sr. who has been biding his time, then that's going to be hard to stomach. 

And to echo what you're saying...what does that say to recruits.  "We really need you, and there's a great chance you're going to play very soon in your career," when in the mean time, we just brought in a grad transfer that took the starting job from an upper classmen? 

I see both sides...you HAVE to win to start getting the upper tier recruits on a consistent basis, but at the same time, you risk losing the team when a random grad transfer shows up.  In a perfect world...he would be head and shoulders better, and the team would like him as a person.  But...rarely do things go "perfect world."

I have a feeling we're seeing the last of Conner Noland, and he'll focus on the Baseball diamond following this season.  My rationale for feeling that way is that he will see that his meal ticket is baseball...not football.  I think CK will transfer, and rightfully so....this just isn't a fit for him, and he may do well in a pure pocket passing system with a good O-line.     

Letsroll1200

« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2018, 10:06:07 am »

This. You can't expect a freshman to come in and take over. Noland was thought pretty highly of and he didn't come in ready to be QB1. Other teams have done it, but they did it with an elite QB and better talent around them. We have to take our lumps, redshirt these kids and DEVELOP THEM! Something Bret failed to do. Stop wasting redshirts and years of eligibility. Although we may improve, Bryant most likely won't come here to a team that's not already established, especially with a 5th year Sr who's already on the team. I just don't think it's realistic, despite the connections. Now if Morris doesn't feel Ty can get it done, hooks him up with a place to land, and knows that Bryant does want to come, that's a different story. But more than likely, Storey will battle Noland next year for the starting spot. Kelley will likely transfer, but selfishly I wouldn't mind keeping him for backup and Steamboat package

I was hearing the KJ will be a early enrollee. Noland did not come in early so expecting him to produce was probably too much to ask of him. I think if KJ is here during spring practices than he will have a chance to start.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2018, 02:41:37 pm »

Great post.  I've wondered this for awhile.  If you're an incoming Fr., or lets say you've red shirted, and you see a Grad transfer come in from another school with 3-4 years experience take the starting job, I wonder what that does for overall team morale.  I'm not specific to the UA, but to ANY school who takes that avenue.  If you're a Fr. RS Fr., or Soph....maybe that's not a huge deal, because you have time to learn and take over when he leaves.  But...if you're going to be a Jr. or Sr. who has been biding his time, then that's going to be hard to stomach. 

And to echo what you're saying...what does that say to recruits.  "We really need you, and there's a great chance you're going to play very soon in your career," when in the mean time, we just brought in a grad transfer that took the starting job from an upper classmen? 

I see both sides...you HAVE to win to start getting the upper tier recruits on a consistent basis, but at the same time, you risk losing the team when a random grad transfer shows up.  In a perfect world...he would be head and shoulders better, and the team would like him as a person.  But...rarely do things go "perfect world."

I have a feeling we're seeing the last of Conner Noland, and he'll focus on the Baseball diamond following this season.  My rationale for feeling that way is that he will see that his meal ticket is baseball...not football.  I think CK will transfer, and rightfully so....this just isn't a fit for him, and he may do well in a pure pocket passing system with a good O-line.     
You just have to stay true and honest. IN all honesty we need and should get help at the O line position cause honestly you don't know if those waiting on their turn are gonna be healthy. IE its easy for them (current players) to se and agree that we need the help now and in bunches. Any incoming freshman lineman can be told he's going to redshirt and even the JUCO's,cause depending on their eligibility they prolly need a year too. The JuCo I saw this last weekend had a great frame but need ed 30-40 more pounds to have the SEC look. And if you saw the other team Saturday you saw the SEC look. A QB is a slightly different animal. There is only 1 QB spot, Its the leadership capital of your team. For 1 year, whats the price?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2018, 02:46:30 pm »

Connor LOVES football. It is why he pretty much said " don't draft me " to mlb this past spring, because he was 100% committed to going to college. He has electric stuff on the mound and at some point, I agree that will become his focus.

As for your question on grad transfers, I think it sets up a possible cycle of always having to do that because you bring one in and make a couple underclassmen mad and they leave, and you are stuck again with no experience, so you turn to a grad transfer again, and it just goes on and on. 

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2018, 09:37:24 pm »

I dunno...if Auburn struggles to move the ball as much as they have recently, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some quit from the defense.  Anything less than 100% effort, and Bama is going to put up video game numbers on any CFB team this season. 

(In before GoHogs101 lectures me on how great Venables' defense is, and that they will stop Bama in their tracks)

Well, since Alabama had to utilize holding onto our defensive linemen, then how are they going to block a Clemson defensive line that has 4 probable NFL 1st Round draft picks?

Also, it is looking like Venables is getting his Secondary to be solid.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2018, 10:01:21 pm »

Well, since Alabama had to utilize holding onto our defensive linemen, then how are they going to block a Clemson defensive line that has 4 probable NFL 1st Round draft picks?

Also, it is looking like Venables is getting his Secondary to be solid.

I'm glad you didn't disappoint.   8)

AugustaHog

« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2018, 10:01:34 pm »

I didn't say Storey was entitiled to start next year.
It was being discussed that Bryant wasn't going to a school without a promise to start.
If he gets that to come here - Storey should transfer.
Our staff is smarter than to announce something like that.  You know if somebody is added that it will be sold as an open comp.  With the heart he has shown, Storey deserves an honest chance, no more no less.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2018, 10:09:29 pm »

Connor LOVES football. It is why he pretty much said " don't draft me " to mlb this past spring, because he was 100% committed to going to college. He has electric stuff on the mound and at some point, I agree that will become his focus.

As for your question on grad transfers, I think it sets up a possible cycle of always having to do that because you bring one in and make a couple underclassmen mad and they leave, and you are stuck again with no experience, so you turn to a grad transfer again, and it just goes on and on.

That's good to hear about Noland, and he's one of the few major talents that I was aware of, and didn't go see during his Sr. hear of HS.  Other than his brief appearances, that's all I have seen.  I thought Jones looked really small out there, and I'm guessing he's going to be the holder moving forward, or something like that role...or transfers to UCA or a similar school if he wants to play.   

That's kind of how I view it with grad transfers.  We're seeing Boyd as evidence that if you target the right JUCO players, and they have overcome whatever caused them to land at JUCO in the outset, they can have a major impact.  That seems like a more reasonable approach to filling gaps that recruiting may leave. 

I keep getting gruff about saying we need a dual threat difference maker at QB, and that "that's not really required in CCM's system."  Well...I don't care about that.  I think it is required FOR US TO DO WELL in today's CFB landscape regardless of the coach, because we HAVE to field talent at the positions that make the most impact, with QB being the most.     

Athog

« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2018, 10:22:07 pm »

Having Bryant and playing him no matter???

navyhog24

« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2018, 11:51:37 am »

Rumors are swirling that Penn St, Oklahoma, and Arkansas lead early for Bryant's services

Hogbit

« Reply #191 on: October 09, 2018, 11:53:39 am »

BOOMER SOONER!!!!!

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2018, 11:56:27 am »

Yeah, pretty clear that he wants to play.

King Kong

« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2018, 12:02:07 pm »

Rumors are swirling that Penn St, Oklahoma, and Arkansas lead early for Bryant's services

Cant be true we had several posters state Bryant will have no interest in Arkansas

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2018, 12:06:14 pm »

Never seen so many QB experts as on Hogville. Amazing.

Redhogs

« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2018, 12:59:20 pm »

Yeah, pretty clear that he wants to play.
Then there is absolutely no way OK. is in the mix..they have a great qb...

Sportsnutt9

• Band Nerd
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2018, 01:35:28 pm »

Then there is absolutely no way OK. is in the mix..they have a great qb...

I bet this is his last year in football. The A's just paid him 5+ mil for baseball. I don't see them letting that investment play football again after this season.

Swinelake

« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2018, 01:39:54 pm »

Three of the last four QBs at Arkansas were drafted. Something for a kid who has one year to make the league could consider.

Edit: two of them are still playing in the NFL. (I think. BA made a roster this year, right?)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #198 on: October 09, 2018, 01:54:14 pm »

The good part about that is that we could pay him with untraceable Visa gift cards and a free Boost mobile plan.

With the sanctions we would get from hiring him I would not want him.

Hogbit

« Reply #199 on: October 09, 2018, 01:55:13 pm »

Three of the last four QBs at Arkansas were drafted. Something for a kid who has one year to make the league could consider.

Edit: two of them are still playing in the NFL. (I think. BA made a roster this year, right?)
Only one left.
Mallett is free agent. Probably over for him
A Allen never made a squad
B Allen is 3rd team on rams. Last year of his rookie contrat. Put out or get out next year.
Wilson went nowhere
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 74   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas