• 10,467,686 Posts
• 413,056 Topics
• 23,627 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 74   Go Down

Author Topic: All Things Kelly Bryant MERGED ó No New Threads  (Read 201508 times)

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Let me buy you lunch
Re: Kelly Bryant Threads**Merged**
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2018, 12:04:54 pm »

Um. Yeah.  We are 0-11 vs Saban?  Pretty good sample size.

Woosh. My God, woosh.

What's Morris' record against Saban?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2018, 12:11:25 pm »

Um. Yeah.  We are 0-11 vs Saban?  Pretty good sample size.

Actually we beat him in the Miracle on Markham. He simply was at a different school.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2018, 12:32:21 pm »

The Comprehensive List of SEC Head Coaches who have beaten Nick Saban at Alabama:
Gus Malzahn

I know one whose beaten him twice and could be brought in immediately. Not to replace Morris but as an assistant. Give him what ever title you want. OC, assistant OC, assistant HC, assistant TO the HC, special assistant so we can possibly have a chance to compete with Bama, or whatever else you wanna call him. Just sayin there's a really cold (see what I did there) brother out there just waiting for a second chance.

Swinelake

« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2018, 02:22:54 pm »

The Comprehensive List of SEC Head Coaches who have beaten Nick Saban at Alabama:
Gus Malzahn

So? Bret owned Les Miles and Hugh Freeze. You gonna sit there and tell me that he's a better coach than either of them?

Alabama is Auburn's superbowl and Alabama has well documented motivation problems late in the season. That's why Saban is always harping on "rat poison"

zebradynasty

« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2018, 02:37:17 pm »

Sad so many of you want Bryant...he is a very poor passer...his 67% completion rate is almost entirely very short passes...he is a good runner, but can not read an option very well...he was successful because he was protected by a host of really good players...at Arkansas, he would have to be a star...and, that is not very probable.

If you watched the Houston vs Tulsa game last night I think Houston's offense is where Morris is headed. In that type of offense, if a truly dual threat QB can complete 67% of his passes....you'll win a lot games.

31to6

« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2018, 03:39:58 pm »

So? Bret owned Les Miles and Hugh Freeze. You gonna sit there and tell me that he's a better coach than either of them?

Alabama is Auburn's superbowl and Alabama has well documented motivation problems late in the season. That's why Saban is always harping on "rat poison"
My point is that the definition of a good or even great coach does not necessarily include being able to beat Nick Saban and the machine he has built at Alabama because he has a winning record against almost every coach he has ever faced and the vast majority of coaches he has faced at Alabama have an 0-fer record against him.

I agree that part of the equation for Gus having won is the rivalry game effect. I don't even particularly like Gus.

But Alabama has only lost 13 games to 10 different coaches since he got them up and running in 2008: Sumlin, Freeze, Swinney, Meyer, Malzahn, Spurrier, Miles, Chizik (sorta), Whittingham, Stoops.

Of those, the only coaches that have beaten him without top-10 recruiting are Spurrier and Whittingham (and even Spurrier had taken USCe's recruiting up a couple notches to do so).

That's it.

Florida just gave Dan Mullen a ton of money to go coach the Gators and he is 0-9 against Nick Saban.

We don't know if Chad Morris will ever be able to build a team here that beats Alabama. Certainly that has to be the goal.

But it will take more than just coaching. It will require substantially better recruiting. It will require time to build the needed depth. And it will probably require no small amount of luck.

31to6

« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2018, 03:41:57 pm »

I know one whose beaten him twice and could be brought in immediately. Not to replace Morris but as an assistant. Give him what ever title you want. OC, assistant OC, assistant HC, assistant TO the HC, special assistant so we can possibly have a chance to compete with Bama, or whatever else you wanna call him. Just sayin there's a really cold (see what I did there) brother out there just waiting for a second chance.
The good part about that is that we could pay him with untraceable Visa gift cards and a free Boost mobile plan.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2018, 04:25:28 pm »

The good part about that is that we could pay him with untraceable Visa gift cards and a free Boost mobile plan.

Whatever works.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2018, 05:06:14 pm »

Alabama has motivation problems late in the season? You mean when they're a few wins away from winning a national title? Also, where is this well documented?

Pigcrazy

« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2018, 06:47:27 pm »

I thought this was a Bryant thread. Please stay on topic.

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2018, 08:45:44 pm »

This is page 3. You're lucky we're still talking about football lol.

Letsroll1200

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2018, 11:18:58 pm »

There is high level talent at Clemson and Bryant struggled in some areas. What will Bryant do at Arkansas that he couldn't do for Clemson?

Hopeful Hog

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2018, 11:42:03 pm »

There is high level talent at Clemson and Bryant struggled in some areas. What will Bryant do at Arkansas that he couldn't do for Clemson?

Well seeing how Clemsons realistic goals are a NC and ours are more in the lane of 8 to 9 wins (not the end goal but what we should be shooting for next year) I would say he could do that for Arkansas.

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2018, 12:23:31 am »

Winning is the only thing that will make me. I don't intend to give up football. We may someday hire a coach that can do that without being fired. I did  not say we couldn't find a coach that could beat Saban, I just we don't have one. I have as good a right to my opinion as you do.
Having ďthe right to an opinionĒ does not preclude said opinion from being absolute, pants-on-head, helmet wearing, window licking, asininely stupid.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2018, 12:29:20 am »

OK...Gus was never coming here. Gruden was never coming here. AND... Bryant is never coming here. Move on.

LZH

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2018, 04:28:29 am »

OK...Gus was never coming here. Gruden was never coming here. AND... Bryant is never coming here. Move on.

Hater.

King Kong

« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2018, 06:50:17 am »

Yeah and sitting NFL HC would never leave for this job twice, Ryan Mallet isnít transferring, and we canít land a P5 HC that has won 3 Conference Championships.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2018, 05:53:15 pm »

Yeah and sitting NFL HC would never leave for this job twice, Ryan Mallet isnít transferring, and we canít land a P5 HC that has won 3 Conference Championships.

And how has that worked out for us? Most here have said that Bryant doesn't have a chance of being drafted, yet he is the heir apparent to lead us to the promised land. Get an O-Line that doesn't force a quarterback to run for his life, or move the pocket every play, and the QB's we have can make things happen. Any QB with our current O-Line would have to be related to Houdini to be effective.

King Kong

« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2018, 08:36:57 pm »

And how has that worked out for us? Most here have said that Bryant doesn't have a chance of being drafted, yet he is the heir apparent to lead us to the promised land. Get an O-Line that doesn't force a quarterback to run for his life, or move the pocket every play, and the QB's we have can make things happen. Any QB with our current O-Line would have to be related to Houdini to be effective.

3 of 4 things worked out very well. Leading to multiple 10+ wins seasons.

And no poster has said Bryant will lead us to the promise land. Just back to a decent bowl

31to6

« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2018, 09:19:18 pm »

Sure, we don't have the tools he had at Clemson, but at Arkansas he would be able to run the whole offense. That would accelerate the offensive install and shorten the rebuild by half a season, giving us a better chance to start 2018 strong.

His ability to make plays with his legs would immediately make our offense more productive.

He got fired at Clemson with stats that would have him as the #3 or #4 QB in the SEC.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2018, 09:27:51 pm »

Sooooooo.....is Kelly Bryant coming to Arkansas?

Hogbit

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2018, 10:16:58 pm »

Question is, can he win the starting position if he does?

imtad16

« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2018, 11:07:46 pm »

Yes. Perfect 1 year bridge to Noland, JSJ, or Jefferson.

InHognito

« Reply #123 on: October 06, 2018, 11:13:32 pm »

Nah. An upperclassman doesnt transfer to help a team rebuild. He's looking to win now.

Auburn, LSU, Oklahoma, etc

OLEJACKETFAN

« Reply #124 on: October 06, 2018, 11:18:29 pm »

I say Bryant is a HOG next year! 

King Kong

« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2018, 03:36:11 am »

You canít be serious with this question. He is clearly better than anything we have

grayhawg

« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2018, 06:46:37 am »

You canít be serious with this question. He is clearly better than anything we have
And lost his job to a freshman

Letsroll1200

« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2018, 06:48:20 am »

And lost his job to a freshman

A 5 star freshman!

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2018, 09:38:56 am »

Am I the only one who saw that we literally could not tackle the Bama players?  Bad news...we aren't going to beat them 63-62 just by adding Bryant.  The could have scored over 80 on us if they had wanted. 

This is a top to bottom rebuild to ever be close to competitive with the SEC elite.  I will say that I think Bama can do that to anyone in the country right now, so I don't take a lot of stock in that lopsided defeat, but the fact that we were bouncing off their guys like popcorn trying to tackle them...was pretty deflating, and showed how far off we are more than anything else in that game. 

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2018, 09:42:46 am »

Am I the only one who saw that we literally could not tackle the Bama players?  Bad news...we aren't going to beat them 63-62 just by adding Bryant.  The could have scored over 80 on us if they had wanted. 

This is a top to bottom rebuild to ever be close to competitive with the SEC elite.  I will say that I think Bama can do that to anyone in the country right now, so I don't take a lot of stock in that lopsided defeat, but the fact that we were bouncing off their guys like popcorn trying to tackle them...was pretty deflating, and showed how far off we are more than anything else in that game. 

Our recruiting on the defensive side of the ball is pretty damn strong right now. Help is on the way.

Hogbit

« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2018, 09:54:08 am »

I think you discount the talent of our young quarterbacks.

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2018, 10:16:16 am »

You're raining on the parade here- we now take lopsided defeats as "victories" because how else can you deal with this reality? You have to make lemonade out of lemons. No, it is beyond unlikely that we can or will ever match the kinds of recruiting classes Alabama has, even when Saban is gone. They will just reload with another 11 million dollar coach- and really Saban doesn't win any games-he just recruits the studs that do from the very fertile football recruiting grounds in Alabama and then bootstraps success with those recruits into national recruits. Arkansas can't do that.

What needs to be asked is can Arkansas be competitive with the second tier of the SEC west on a regular basis? Maybe- with the right coach i.e. a great recruiter who can entice real SEC level players to come from neighboring states. So the two relevant questions now are- 1) in the short term- can Morris get Storey to be SEC quality, say a Brandon Allen type quarterback (and I for one do expect Storey to be the quarterback next year- he will need to show continued improvement but he really still has very few game reps under his belt) and 2) for the long term- is Morris the guy who can develop the kind of sustained year to year recruiting necessary to be competitive with second tier SEC west teams? The answer to both those questions is blowing in the wind so for now it's all hands on deck to cheer whatever positives can be made out of a 30+ point defeat at home. You need to hop on the band wagon. That will be 10 Woo pigs and go and sin no more.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2018, 10:25:44 am »

You're raining on the parade here- we now take lopsided defeats as "victories" because how else can you deal with this reality? You have to make lemonade out of lemons. No, it is beyond unlikely that we can or will ever match the kinds of recruiting classes Alabama has, even when Saban is gone. They will just reload with another 11 million dollar coach- and really Saban doesn't win any games-he just recruits the studs that do from the very fertile football recruiting grounds in Alabama and then bootstraps success with those recruits into national recruits. Arkansas can't do that.

What needs to be asked is can Arkansas be competitive with the second tier of the SEC west on a regular basis? Maybe- with the right coach i.e. a great recruiter who can entice real SEC level players to come from neighboring states. So the two relevant questions now are- 1) in the short term- can Morris get Storey to be SEC quality, say a Brandon Allen type quarterback (and I for one do expect Storey to be the quarterback next year- he will need to show continued improvement but he really still has very few game reps under his belt) and 2) for the long term- is Morris the guy who can develop the kind of sustained year to year recruiting necessary to be competitive with second tier SEC west teams? The answer to both those questions is blowing in the wind so for now it's all hands on deck to cheer whatever positives can be made out of a 30+ point defeat at home. You need to hop on the band wagon. That will be 10 Woo pigs and go and sin no more.
There is no other Saban.  When he is gone they will still be strong, but likely back to the level of LSU/GA strong.

rzrbk4life

« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2018, 10:39:00 am »

There is no other Saban.  When he is gone they will still be strong, but likely back to the level of LSU/GA strong.

Iíve thought about this as well. Once saban leaves they will still be great, but I donít see them being as dominant as they are now. Canít imagine trying to be the coach to follow in sabanís shoes

Hogbit

« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2018, 10:47:16 am »

Iíve thought about this as well. Once saban leaves they will still be great, but I donít see them being as dominant as they are now. Canít imagine trying to be the coach to follow in sabanís shoes
Ive wondered many times what makes him sooo much better than everybody else.

imtad16

« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2018, 11:30:31 am »

Nah. An upperclassman doesnt transfer to help a team rebuild. He's looking to win now.

May be true, but again I just doubt he goes to compete with a former 5-star multiple year returning starter at Auburn. The offense is a good fit so its possible. It just seems risky for a guy that wants to start his final year of eligibility. I don't think that means he's afraid of competition it's about was is the wise move that gives you a mix of playing time, probably at least a bowl and an offense that allows you to showcase your skills for a shot at the NFL. LSU runs a spread that is different enough that he probably won't want that learning curve. Not all spreads are created equal. If Matt Canada was still the OC at LSU that might be different. OU could be a landing spot, but I think in the end he goes to a team capable of going to a bowl where he has a relationship and runs a similar offense that he has been running. I would love him to come here and could see us making a bowl with him, but of course, I have no clue if he will. I agree he may not want to take a risk by coming here to fall short of a bowl at 5-7. My point is I just don't think its going to be all about program prestige with the biggest name.

tusksincolorado

• I will teach you Italian....the fun way.
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2018, 11:48:42 am »

The Clemson DC who is buddies with CCM, isn't he coming  to coach at Arkansas???

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2018, 11:53:15 am »

Ive wondered many times what makes him sooo much better than everybody else.

The players he recruits- success breeds success. He is also, I think, a "no excuses type of coach" and sort of ruthless as evidenced by his treatment of Jalen Hurts. Nothing gets in the way of the ultimate goal of winning-but it still comes down to the players he gets, the ones the Arkansas players were "bouncing off. . . (of) like popcorn".

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2018, 11:54:23 am »

Whatever works.
Think I might get me a couple tshirts made up with freeze's  face on it that says "Get a stripper on your zipper."

Hogbit

« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2018, 12:03:28 pm »

The players he recruits- success breeds success. He is also, I think, a "no excuses type of coach" and sort of ruthless as evidenced by his treatment of Jalen Hurts. Nothing gets in the way of the ultimate goal of winning-but it still comes down to the players he gets, the ones the Arkansas players were "bouncing off. . . (of) like popcorn".
There is more to it than that. Lots of D1 coaches are azzholes. None of them have success like he does.

rtr

« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2018, 12:06:47 pm »

Good grief, what a bunch of horse fertilizer.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2018, 12:16:31 pm »

There are a number of reasons that can go into why someone does/doesn't decide to transfer to a particular program. And while possible win/loss totals are certainly a consideration, it isn't necessarily the end-all, be-all. For instance, makes very little sense for a kid to move to another program, no matter how good, if it doesn't run a similar/familiar type of offensive scheme. Doesn't mean the young man will eventually call the Hogs; however, it also  doesn't mean he won't either. BTW using your reasoning Bryant would obviously only want to move over to 'Bama, tOSU, UGa or some other such program that already have well entrenched starters. Yep, the opportunity of PLAYING TIME and/or the ability to start has NOTHING to do with such considerations. Brilliant!!!

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2018, 12:45:58 pm »

There is more to it than that. Lots of D1 coaches are azzholes. None of them have success like he does.

The burden of proof is on you here since no one has the players he does. Also when he doesn't have a quarterback like he does now he is much more vulnerable even with the great defenses, wide receivers and running backs that are almost always there in bulk.

Also I wouldn't call him an a**hole- more like a hardass. I don't think he does anything differently than anyone else except demand accountability and focus on what works without a lot of emotion and personal involvement with players. Petrino is probably similar in that regard- he just can't get the talent Saban can because players want to play for a proven winner in a program given extra attention by the NFL.

The fumble into the end zone was a great example of players not quitting even when there didn't appear to be any benefit in it and I would guess that is what Saban expects- go the extra mile on the little things and use your talent to the utmost.  If those wide receivers hadn't been in position in the end zone to recover I imagine there would have been real consequences when they looked at the film on Monday- as it was Saban's expression when they came off the field was priceless- as in "Gddamn- they did what they were supposed to and what I expect them to do".

redneckfriend

• Senior
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2018, 12:55:34 pm »

Good grief, what a bunch of horse fertilizer.

Which part? If it was the poor attempt at humor then I agree. You'll have to forgive my suspicion that that wasn't it however since there are so many sunshine pumpers on this site trying to turn a 30+ point loss into a highwater mark for Arkansas football. If that's your problem you need help- and a little reality testing.

yraciv

« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2018, 01:01:03 pm »

I don't get the fascination with KJ. Time and time again we fall in love with the FR QB recruit, and if i'm not mistaken Rafe and Noland were higher rated recruits.

The way I see the QB race panning out next year, is Storey, Noland, Jones, and KJ redshirting. I think Cole Kelley and Daulton Hyatt will likely transfer out. All those returners will be improving, so it is possible Storey could get jumped on the depth chart.

That being said I know what Kelly Bryant is. He is a proven, high level, dual threat that Morris seems to like controlling his offense. I also believe he is a better QB than Ty Storey, so I'd be happy to sign him up for a year. Unless you are a can't miss QB recruit, such as Trevor Lawrence, I don't want us to ever be in a position again where a true FR should be expected to play as soon as he steps on campus.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 04:00:09 pm by yraciv »

Hogbit

« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2018, 01:08:27 pm »

I think people will be shocked at how good  jsj and cn are next year.

yraciv

« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2018, 01:08:44 pm »

FYI - KJ's numbers this year aren't record shattering. He has thrown 13 TD and 5 INT in 7 games. Now maybe his WR aren't as strong this year, and they aren't all his fault, but if you were to look at just HS production, I'm pretty sure JSJ, Noland, and Storey all had better numbers their SR year.

checkraiser88

« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2018, 01:09:43 pm »

FYI - KJ's numbers this year aren't record shattering. He has thrown 13 TD and 5 INT in 7 games. Now maybe his WR aren't as strong this year, and they aren't all his fault, but if you were to look at just HS production, I'm pretty sure JSJ, Noland, and Storey all had better numbers their SR year.

Good thing college has nothing to do with high school production. Nice try though

Hogbit

« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2018, 01:14:40 pm »

Good thing college has nothing to do with high school production. Nice try though
Stupid logic.
If you dont produce at that level, the deck is damn sure stacked against you at this one.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »

I've been to Bama games down at their place where dozens of tickets were on the ground everywhere. Houston Nutt was going down there and beating them. Its always after they get caught cheating and come back down to earth. Shortly after the Albert Means ordeal they were a regular team. Do you not think they have the same Albert Means situation going on right now? Heck yes they do! Have come close to going down several times lately. DJ Fluker, Julio(the suit ) Jones, A couple  of Heisman type running backs were exposed with impermissible benefits situations. Some smoke but lots of cash and bama privilege made them go away but they will slip up and the USC/Reggie Bush thingy where Pete Carroll just happened to go to Seattle (coincidence wink wink). Will happen there again(forrest gump), and then again, and again cause that's what they do.Buy championships. Them and their fans are just fine with it.
I apologize for the rant and derail.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 74   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas