• 10,748,626 Posts
• 420,049 Topics
• 24,696 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: All Things Kelly Bryant MERGED — No New Threads  (Read 212447 times)

HogPharmer

Re: Kelly Bryant Threads**Merged**
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2018, 02:49:29 pm »

I think it means Cult of Gus.

Maybe that's it. I guessed Child of Gus (as a backhanded nickname for Morris) in the past but that doesn't always make sense so I scratched that one.

My next best guess was that maybe it meant Cousin of Guvhog...

Hawginj

« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2018, 02:49:41 pm »

I'm beginning to think it doesn't actually mean anything. I've asked before what it means and I've seen others ask... But no one has ever clarified.
i apologize for not see where you have asked.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hawginj

« Reply #302 on: October 11, 2018, 02:50:53 pm »

Maybe that's it. I guessed Child of Gus (as a backhanded nickname for Morris) in the past but that doesn't always make sense so I scratched that one.

My next best guess was that maybe it meant Cousin of Guvhog...
  ;D ;D

HAWG MAFIA

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I'm banging this chick^^^^^
« Reply #303 on: October 11, 2018, 02:54:35 pm »

This thread is starting to remind me of some of the classic Norvell coaching search threads.
and DBG

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #304 on: October 11, 2018, 03:00:10 pm »

I'm beginning to think it doesn't actually mean anything. I've asked before what it means and I've seen others ask... But no one has ever clarified.

Well the internet is your friend so doing a little research I discovered CoG COULD mean the following:

Communion of Gurhal
Congress of Gamers
Cluster of Orthologous Groups

or my favorite Club Omnisports Gargenville (French sports club)

Take your pick.

HogPharmer

« Reply #305 on: October 11, 2018, 03:04:15 pm »

Well the internet is your friend so doing a little research I discovered CoG COULD mean the following:

Communion of Gurhal
Congress of Gamers
Cluster of Orthologous Groups

or my favorite Club Omnisports Gargenville (French sports club)

Take your pick.

Are you searching with your safe search on or off? I'm at work... Don't want to get myself fired just trying to figure this out.

Hogbit

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #306 on: October 11, 2018, 03:07:19 pm »

Saw that post earlier. Have no clue what CoG means apart from Center of Gravity.
Crusty old guys i think.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #307 on: October 11, 2018, 03:10:40 pm »

All we need is PIP to tell us to pop dem bottles.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #308 on: October 11, 2018, 03:37:40 pm »

Are you searching with your safe search on or off? I'm at work... Don't want to get myself fired just trying to figure this out.

I work from home and don't have a "safe search" protocol but any NSFW site is automatically blocked.  That didn't happen when I searched for "CoG".

Hogcore

« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2018, 03:47:58 pm »

Need to pack the house for KB.

checkraiser88

« Reply #310 on: October 11, 2018, 03:54:29 pm »

Need to pack the house for KB.

I doubt that he expects the house to be packed, much less for Tulsa

kp72204

« Reply #311 on: October 11, 2018, 03:57:08 pm »

I am pretty confident that we can beat out Mizzou, Louisville, and UNC for Bryant
I was pretty confident we could beat Mizzou on the field last couple of years, but guess what!!! However, i really feel confident we'll start soon (like really soon).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:16:53 pm by kp72204 »

kp72204

« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2018, 04:00:04 pm »

QB - Bryant
RB - Boyd, Whaley, Hayden, Hammonds
WR - Burks / Pettway / Coleman
WR - Woods / Nash / Jones
WR - Knox / K.Jackson / Warren
TE - O'Grady / Henry

Dang...that offense will be EXPLOSIVE!
Please show me the offensive line with that. I'm trying to temper my excitement.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:17:13 pm by kp72204 »

Silent

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #313 on: October 11, 2018, 04:32:17 pm »

My man still thinks we'll get him......

Possible OC? 🤔

jbcarol

David†

« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2018, 06:36:40 pm »

You are still the only person on here that uses CoG. And I think you're still the only person that knows what it means.

cult of Gus

Pigcrazy

« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2018, 06:52:10 pm »

Bryant isn’t going to Louisville. Who knows who their coach will be at this point. Same goes with North Carolina.

checkraiser88

« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2018, 08:13:38 pm »

Bryant isn’t going to Louisville. Who knows who their coach will be at this point. Same goes with North Carolina.

I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn comes calling at some point. That's why getting this first OV might do the trick.

LRhawg926

• Senior
Bryant Visit
« Reply #318 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:13 am »

No matter the outcome Saturday, fans need to be in the seats vs. Tulsa. If anything, to show Kelley Bryant a glimpse of what Arkansas can be. You won't impress anyone with empty seats in a beautiful stadium.

FutureMan

Re: Bryant Visit
« Reply #319 on: October 12, 2018, 09:13:26 am »

I'll be there.  Going with my brother who is a TU grad.  It was pretty cool when I learned yesterday that Bryant was going to be at the same game.

Hopefully we have a great showing on the field and a lot of fan support in the stadium.

allredhog

« Reply #320 on: October 12, 2018, 09:31:44 am »

Not that I am worried about UNC, Bleacher report is reporting-“Former Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant is reportedly planning a visit with the North Carolina Tar Heels this weekend as he pursues a new opportunity on the transfer market, according to Inside Carolina's Greg Barnes.”

And my family and will be in attendance as we always are!  Go HOGS!!

Grizzlyfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #321 on: October 12, 2018, 09:37:14 am »

Nothing like a weak non-con game in the heart of the season to bring out the masses.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #322 on: October 12, 2018, 09:39:55 am »

It's between us and Auburn. That's what I hear. Don't know how it'll shake out, but whatever Jared Stidham does at the end of this season will probably play a part. Supposedly he's on the fence if he's going to head to the NFL draft after this year.
Stidham has gotten worse every year since his breakout freshman year at Baylor. Last year he had a stud RB and line that forced the other team to play 8 in the box. This year teams are playing the pass more and his percentage is around 60 percent. No way he goes high in this draft

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #323 on: October 12, 2018, 09:52:06 am »

Nothing like a weak non-con game in the heart of the season to bring out the masses.
It's one of our last winnable games. Get out and enjoy a possible win while you can

010HogFan

• "Wait Till Next Year!"
« Reply #324 on: October 12, 2018, 09:53:24 am »

It's one of our last winnable games. Get out and enjoy a possible win while you can

Huh? I think we have a chance in every game left outside of maybe LSU

dsf

« Reply #325 on: October 12, 2018, 09:56:45 am »

QB - Bryant
RB - Boyd, Whaley, Hayden, Hammonds
WR - Burks / Pettway / Coleman
WR - Woods / Nash / Jones
WR - Knox / K.Jackson / Warren
TE - O'Grady / Henry

Dang...that offense will be EXPLOSIVE!

Problem is his 67% completion rate is 90% flare passes to the backs or wideouts.  I don't believe he can get the ball to the studs.  If he were as good as most on here think he is, why isn't he playing ahead of a raw, talented frosh at Clemson?

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #326 on: October 12, 2018, 10:25:16 am »

Even if Bryant and Kelly are equal in everything... their is one thing that they absolutely arent equal at and thats running the football. So if Ty isnt a lot  better passer than I dont see how anyone wouldnt want Bryant.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #327 on: October 12, 2018, 10:34:15 am »

Huh? I think we have a chance in every game left outside of maybe LSU
Well maybe things will turn freezing in Fayetteville like they did back several years ago. I well remember that fact that the Tigers only wanted to huddle around the sideline warmers. They looked miserable and ready to head back to the bayou as soon as possible.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #328 on: October 12, 2018, 11:07:43 am »

You can analyze this to death from every angle, but it really boils down to one salient point in my mind. 

Is Chad Morris willing to potentially upset the apple cart by bringing in a grad transfer with the hope of winning a few more games next season, at best, when he has just started to get buy in from the players? 

Every upper classmen is just a stud Fr. away from riding the pine.  I'm not sure how bringing in a grad transfer or a stud JC player is any different, if they come in and displace the people who have been with the program for awhile.  When you look at it objectively, in some ways it would speak to the faith that CCM would be able to instill in Kelly Bryant that he could come in, make a difference, and potentially make it to the NFL. 

I don't see the downside, if you are serious about setting up a culture where you are going to play the kids who give you the best chance to win...period.  Forget seniority, legacy, and all of those factors...just field the best 22 regardless, provided they are all following the rules and doing their jobs.  From that perspective, I don't see how you complain as a player.  I think the issues start when players feel coaches are "playing favorites," because the players know who the best players are, and when they're not on the field, THAT is what causes dissention faster than anything else.   

Michael D Huff AIA

• Senior
  • Calling the Hogs since 1974.
« Reply #329 on: October 12, 2018, 11:08:15 am »

2017 QBR from SEC QB's

#6     Jake Fromm  @ GA. - 84.1
#7     Jalen Hurts @ ALA. - 83.4
#10    Danny Etling @ LSU - 80.8
#14    Nick Fitzgerald @ MSST - 78.5
#17    Kelly Bryant  @ Clemson    TOTAL QBR = 77.6
#20    Drew Lock @ MIZ - 74.4
#25    Jordan Ta'amu @ MISS - 72.8
#39    Jarrett Stidham @ AUB - 67.2
#43    Stephen Johnson @ UK - 66.3
#45    Jake Bentley @ SC - 65.1

Drafted QB's from that year -

#1 Baker Mayfield @ OU - 92.3
#3 Mason Rudolph @OSU - 86.7
#4 Lamar Jackson @ LOU - 85.4
#24 Sam Darnold @ USC - 73.2
#48 Josh Rosen @ UCLA - 64.1
#58 Josh Allen @ WYO - 60.1

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #330 on: October 12, 2018, 11:13:19 am »

2017 QBR from SEC QB's

#6     Jake Fromm  @ GA. - 84.1
#7     Jalen Hurts @ ALA. - 83.4
#10    Danny Etling @ LSU - 80.8
#14    Nick Fitzgerald @ MSST - 78.5
#17    Kelly Bryant  @ Clemson    TOTAL QBR = 77.6
#20    Drew Lock @ MIZ - 74.4
#25    Jordan Ta'amu @ MISS - 72.8
#39    Jarrett Stidham @ AUB - 67.2
#43    Stephen Johnson @ UK - 66.3
#45    Jake Bentley @ SC - 65.1

Drafted QB's from that year -

#1 Baker Mayfield @ OU - 92.3
#3 Mason Rudolph @OSU - 86.7
#4 Lamar Jackson @ LOU - 85.4
#24 Sam Darnold @ USC - 73.2
#48 Josh Rosen @ UCLA - 64.1
#58 Josh Allen @ WYO - 60.1

Pretty compelling story, BUT it is worth noting that it matters who you have around you...which explains a lot with regard to Rosen and Allen's numbers, versus the receivers Bryant has to throw to. 

If Bryant comes in, I think it sends a message that CCM is committed to WINNING.  Not to coddling players, or worrying about hurting feelings.  It's still early enough that if that offends some players, then maybe they're not the ones you want on the field that are committed 100% to winning.  In this offense, even with Bryant, you're ONE play away from a second string QB being "the man."  We just saw how true that can be at Clemson with a close call to a season or career ending play.   

Michael D Huff AIA

• Senior
  • Calling the Hogs since 1974.
« Reply #331 on: October 12, 2018, 11:33:57 am »

Pretty compelling story, BUT it is worth noting that it matters who you have around you...which explains a lot with regard to Rosen and Allen's numbers, versus the receivers Bryant has to throw to. 

If Bryant comes in, I think it sends a message that CCM is committed to WINNING.  Not to coddling players, or worrying about hurting feelings.  It's still early enough that if that offends some players, then maybe they're not the ones you want on the field that are committed 100% to winning.  In this offense, even with Bryant, you're ONE play away from a second string QB being "the man."  We just saw how true that can be at Clemson with a close call to a season or career ending play.

It undoubtedly matters who you have around a QB.  I also think that a talent like Bryant would be a great teaching tool for the younger QB's on the roster given he would only be there for one season.  Over those games he would mentor and break in the new WR's that are on the way.  I would consider CCM's rebuilding process to be in effect this season AND next season, so if we are rebuilding, why not make the job easier, both for the 'now' and the future? 

Been10Hog

« Reply #332 on: October 12, 2018, 11:46:08 am »

Only school mentioned so far that i worry about is Louisville. He can see what Lamar Jackson did there and also he would get the chance to play Clemson at least once. I would be he would love that opportunity.

Hope end the of the day, we will be able to get him here. Need huge turnout for the Tulsa game to not only show him some love but show this team some love for buying in and giving 100% after week 3.
Only thing about Louisville is that he would have to learn Petrino's complicated sdchemes. He knows our offense! Morris installed the offense at Clemson and when he left they kept it with the same terminology. No brainer. Literally!

Hogmatic

« Reply #333 on: October 12, 2018, 04:31:34 pm »

You can analyze this to death from every angle, but it really boils down to one salient point in my mind. 

Is Chad Morris willing to potentially upset the apple cart by bringing in a grad transfer with the hope of winning a few more games next season, at best, when he has just started to get buy in from the players? 

Every upper classmen is just a stud Fr. away from riding the pine.  I'm not sure how bringing in a grad transfer or a stud JC player is any different, if they come in and displace the people who have been with the program for awhile.  When you look at it objectively, in some ways it would speak to the faith that CCM would be able to instill in Kelly Bryant that he could come in, make a difference, and potentially make it to the NFL. 

I don't see the downside, if you are serious about setting up a culture where you are going to play the kids who give you the best chance to win...period.  Forget seniority, legacy, and all of those factors...just field the best 22 regardless, provided they are all following the rules and doing their jobs.  From that perspective, I don't see how you complain as a player.  I think the issues start when players feel coaches are "playing favorites," because the players know who the best players are, and when they're not on the field, THAT is what causes dissention faster than anything else.   

It could be very productive to have Ty and KB to support each other since the RPO can get your QB beat up.   If I am KB I want to play a lot, show leadership after the PR issue of leaving Clemson and be very productive for NFL scouts.   The best way to play at an optimal level is to walk into an offense you already KNOW.   How many transfers come in and take 1/2 a season or more to learn the scheme and terminology to even play?   KB can be productive in Spring practice because of his comfort level.

The Hawgman

« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2018, 07:08:57 pm »

Is that not what Petrino did with Mallet. Mallet came in and I think the younger Dick brother left. Seem to work out pretty good.
Good players want to win and if getting a better QB adds wins the team will support him IMO.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #336 on: October 12, 2018, 07:15:03 pm »

Is that not what Petrino did with Mallet. Mallet came in and I think the younger Dick brother left. Seem to work out pretty good.
Good players want to win and if getting a better QB adds wins the team will support him IMO.
Or Storey can just beat him out. Storey has this season to build himself up to be able to do that. If he can't, then he needs to go anyways.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #338 on: October 13, 2018, 09:09:36 am »

As far as upsetting the apple cart, it definitely helps if you are bringing in a guy with KB's record and experience.  The record itself gets respect but also the fact that is a 5th year guy and has lead a team should help the transition.

The way you do it is name him the starter from day one.  Let the hurt feelings happen during the off season and spring ball.  It's a non issue by the time the season rolls around.  I would hate it for Ty but I think big picture positives outweigh the negatives. 

imtad16

« Reply #339 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:07 am »

Kelly, we need ya baby we need ya. You, Coach Morris, Rakeem, O'Grady, and our young receivers would make a beautiful marriage.

InHognito

« Reply #340 on: October 14, 2018, 12:34:23 am »

Please show me the offensive line with that. I'm trying to temper my excitement.

There isnt one. Expectations tempered

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #341 on: October 15, 2018, 12:25:28 pm »

Confused by this post.  That's exactly what I said....that the players know when there's a better player not playing, so you're not fooling anyone if you're the coach and playing a lesser talented player for whatever reason.  You lose the team as a coach when you DON'T play the best players, because if they're the right players...they want to win.  If Bryant ends up coming here...you let him compete, prove he's the best, and play him...if he does.  In our particular circumstances, that may weed out some of the players who think seniority matters, because CBB seemed to subscribe to that, but that's just a part of this process.   

But...players and fans don't always know best.  I guarantee you there are still some fans who saw Kelley come and and throw the bomb for a TD right out of the gate, and said..."That's what a strong arm buys you...he should be playing."  Then later in the game, he threw the pick...that killed us.  It's the coaches' job to figure out what gives them the best chance of winning, and it isn't always the player with the best RAW talent, if they make poor decisions or don't give it 100% on every play. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2018, 10:57:32 am »

Confused by this post.  That's exactly what I said....that the players know when there's a better player not playing, so you're not fooling anyone if you're the coach and playing a lesser talented player for whatever reason.  You lose the team as a coach when you DON'T play the best players, because if they're the right players...they want to win.  If Bryant ends up coming here...you let him compete, prove he's the best, and play him...if he does.  In our particular circumstances, that may weed out some of the players who think seniority matters, because CBB seemed to subscribe to that, but that's just a part of this process.   

But...players and fans don't always know best.  I guarantee you there are still some fans who saw Kelley come and and throw the bomb for a TD right out of the gate, and said..."That's what a strong arm buys you...he should be playing."  Then later in the game, he threw the pick...that killed us.  It's the coaches' job to figure out what gives them the best chance of winning, and it isn't always the player with the best RAW talent, if they make poor decisions or don't give it 100% on every play.

Nicely done and spot on.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2018, 11:45:53 am »

Hopefully the Hogs will show up and try to impress KB.

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2018, 02:35:16 pm »

Sure, we don't have the tools he had at Clemson, but at Arkansas he would be able to run the whole offense. That would accelerate the offensive install and shorten the rebuild by half a season, giving us a better chance to start 2018 strong.

His ability to make plays with his legs would immediately make our offense more productive.

He got fired at Clemson with stats that would have him as the #3 or #4 QB in the SEC.
Trevor Lawrence was/is considered a once in a generation type QB.  Dabo saw that Lawrence could handle the situation and he gave the starting reps to him to get him more experience since he is the future of Clemson football until he leaves to go pro. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Lawrence_(American_football)

KB simply.....well.....got screwed.  In KB's words when this was going down, he didn't feel he had done anything to NOT be the starting QB.  Sometimes you just get beat out by someone who is better or has more upside and that is Trevor Lawrence. 

It would be such a perfect situation for KB to come and teach KJ Jefferson the offense then leave and soph KJ will be all the better for it.  My hope is that KB will want to be a part of building a program and will relish running the offense with the weapons that CCM is recruiting right now.  Sure, the road will be bumpy for him and I can certainly understand if he chooses another program, but by God its time for something good to happen for the Hogs.  Its time that we get that recruit that we weren't supposed to get that starts it all. (Like Ron Huery in basketball for Nolan out of Memphis)  KB coming to Ark would bring more spotlight on the program and get other recruits to think that it was good enough for KB to come there for his last year.  Something must be special up on the Hill.  I hope CCM can pull this off. 

I feel for Ty if KB comes.  But its whats best for the program.  This program needs talent talent talent and KB has talent even if it is just for one year

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2018, 03:37:09 pm »

Trevor Lawrence was/is considered a once in a generation type QB.  Dabo saw that Lawrence could handle the situation and he gave the starting reps to him to get him more experience since he is the future of Clemson football until he leaves to go pro. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Lawrence_(American_football)

KB simply.....well.....got screwed.  In KB's words when this was going down, he didn't feel he had done anything to NOT be the starting QB.  Sometimes you just get beat out by someone who is better or has more upside and that is Trevor Lawrence. 

It would be such a perfect situation for KB to come and teach KJ Jefferson the offense then leave and soph KJ will be all the better for it.  My hope is that KB will want to be a part of building a program and will relish running the offense with the weapons that CCM is recruiting right now.  Sure, the road will be bumpy for him and I can certainly understand if he chooses another program, but by God its time for something good to happen for the Hogs.  Its time that we get that recruit that we weren't supposed to get that starts it all. (Like Ron Huery in basketball for Nolan out of Memphis)  KB coming to Ark would bring more spotlight on the program and get other recruits to think that it was good enough for KB to come there for his last year.  Something must be special up on the Hill.  I hope CCM can pull this off. 

I feel for Ty if KB comes.  But its whats best for the program.  This program needs talent talent talent and KB has talent even if it is just for one year
Under your analysis, if KB comes to Arkansas then Ty gets screwed.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
« Reply #346 on: October 16, 2018, 03:51:13 pm »

What if Casey Dick had been a Jr BPs first year and you’ve got Ryan Mallett ready to start the next year. Yeah you feel bad for Casey but do you let that in any way influence your decision to start RM?

HotlantaHog

« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2018, 04:16:24 pm »

In sum:
1. This is not about TS
2. This is not about KB
3. This is about what is best for Arkansas
4. The coaching staff has evidently decided that bringing in KB would be good for Arkansas or at least that it is worth exploring.

hog of steele

• Taxi, Take to Arkansas!
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2018, 04:25:28 pm »

Under your analysis, if KB comes to Arkansas then Ty gets screwed.

I don't think "screwed" is a fair word. But if he loses out to a transfer its a bad deal. Ty has his chance to win the job now. And he will have a chance next year if he doesn't transfer. Thats just how it goes sometimes.

And this is why players should be able to leave. A guy should have a chance to make his name. If Ty gets beat out and wants to go, let him go.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 75   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas