• 10,765,739 Posts
• 420,432 Topics
• 24,710 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grumblings on Norvell  (Read 13444 times)

Hawginj

Re: Grumblings on Norvell
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2019, 07:27:08 pm »

My wild and pessimistic guess about Norvell has to do with the unsubstantiated rumors regarding his background. The talk somewhat earlier in the coaching carousel season was that in '17 the Morris camp at Arkansas let the hurtful rumor out in order to torpedo the chances of his being hired. If that is indeed what happened, Norvell may perceive the PTB at Arkansas as having carelessly damaged his opportunities. In that case, for Norvell, Arkansas might now be a hard pass as a destination.
it wasn't the Morris camp it was the Gus cult they are afraid of Norvell. Morris folks don't have the brains or the backbone for it. Its the Gus folks fault for Morris being here in the first place.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2019, 07:31:08 pm »

it wasn't the Morris camp it was the Gus cult they are afraid of Norvell. Morris folks don't have the brains or the backbone for it. Its the Gus folks fault for Morris being here in the first place.

It was the Ole Miss faithful who put those rumors out. They were ticked off about Norvell refusing to consider their HC job.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hawginj

« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2019, 07:32:23 pm »

It was the Ole Miss faithful who put those rumors out. They were ticket off about Norvell refusing to consider their HC job.
Yes but the Gus clan took them to run interference for the Arkansas job. They are right to fear him

Jonbo

« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2019, 07:33:54 pm »

It was the Ole Miss faithful who put those rumors out. They were ticked off about Norvell refusing to consider their HC job.
That eases my mind some. Thanks.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2019, 08:05:45 pm »

Kiffin never saw the Arkansas job as a detsination job, he's always seen it as a "Stepping Stone" job. As I stated, there is only one coach who sees Arkansas as a destination job.

You have to love how just a few post above this GUv gym he tells another poster that they have no idea what HY wants or is doing.  Guv, however, knows Laneís intentions. 

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2019, 08:08:41 pm »

All we hear about is Kiffin, Leach, Pittman, etc., yet hardly nothing on Norvell. I hope to eventually hear Norvell announced as our coach.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2019, 08:09:06 pm »

I know, I was trying to be nice....itís hard with guv pulling stuff out of his azz.

Ha!  Iím going to add this to my signature

luvmesomehogs

• Varsity
  • IíM ON THE MUSS BUS!
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2019, 08:09:32 pm »

I want him to be hired. Iím hoping itís quiet only bc his team still has two games, and he needs to concentrate on those.

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2019, 08:11:57 pm »

We spoke to MN and it's a no. Can't say for certain which side wasn't interested. Kif is the leader right now and it's basically his to say no to. Gus is still in play but it's not likely .  Leach is not one of the top 5. Clawson is a name I keep hearing as well.
Dave Clawson at Wake Forest?  A tad over 50% win loss, about 125-118 . 
The rest of the information is hit or miss. 

USAFA_Hawg

• Bench Warmer
  • You can observe a lot by just watching. --YB
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2019, 08:14:09 pm »

I believe this.  I live in Oxford.  They were stirring that up in my office two years ago and are saying the same thing now.  When asked for specifics, they never have an answer.

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2019, 08:17:01 pm »

Just went to a ďFriendsgivingĒ out in Collierville with some of my wifeís friends that are all Memphis Alums and I brought up Norvell. They arenít worried about him going to Fayetteville, they are worried about him going to Tallahassee. Also, a few of them said they thought he would fail at a big school.
LOL.  Memphis people are in love with Norvell and scared he will leave for somewhere.  Memphis folks for the most part feel about Fayetteville about like lots of folks here feel about Memphis.  They don't want to see him go to Memphis. 

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #211 on: November 17, 2019, 08:20:57 pm »

We spoke to MN and it's a no. Can't say for certain which side wasn't interested. Kif is the leader right now and it's basically his to say no to. Gus is still in play but it's not likely .  Leach is not one of the top 5. Clawson is a name I keep hearing as well.
So Norvell told you he didn't want to go to Arkansas? And Kiffin told you it was his job?     Clawson is at Wake Forest and about a 50% win/loss in his career, slightly less at WF.

Hogtimes

« Reply #212 on: November 17, 2019, 08:30:49 pm »

So Bob Stoops is not in the FSU mix anymore?

He never was in the mix

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #213 on: November 17, 2019, 08:33:00 pm »

So Norvell told you he didn't want to go to Arkansas? And Kiffin told you it was his job?     Clawson is at Wake Forest and about a 50% win/loss in his career, slightly less at WF.

SpAL isnít the guy to call out.  He has very very solid sources in the baseball program that have shown to be good and accurate. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #214 on: November 17, 2019, 08:41:43 pm »

I think what SPAL might mean is UA spoke to MN and MN said no.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2019, 08:43:16 pm »

I think what SPAL might mean is UA spoke to MN and MN said no.

I doubt it.

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2019, 08:50:57 pm »

SpAL isnít the guy to call out.  He has very very solid sources in the baseball program that have shown to be good and accurate.
Who's baseball program?    I keep hearing the folks in the know aren't saying anything.

Hoggish1

« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2019, 09:38:39 pm »

If any of what you say is true this will not end well.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2019, 09:45:16 pm »

Yes. Mike and I had a few cold ones at Herman's and Joey Freshwater and i use the same barber.

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2019, 09:48:52 pm »

If any of what you say is true this will not end well.
The word is that HY is not sharing information so who has the inside information that HY trust who obviously can't be trusted?   Things were pretty quiet about Musselman and I bet it will be for FB also.

Besides Norvell or any other coach still working isn't going to talk about taking another job at this point, it looks bad, is a negative for his current team with games and bowl games left.  Plus sounding too interested gets in the way of negotiations which mostly are done with agents.

Hoggish1

« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2019, 09:50:29 pm »

The problem that we have now, and I know we don't like to talk about it, is that the situation is Toxic versus just being bad.   Coaches are going to wonder what is going on that sunk both Bielema and Morris.   

What sunk Bielema was not having Barry Alvarez to kick is aas when he wanted to hoist a few to many.  What was wrong with Morris was he couldn't coach at the SEC level. 

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #221 on: November 17, 2019, 09:54:51 pm »

The word is that HY is not sharing information so who has the inside information that HY trust who obviously can't be trusted?   Things were pretty quiet about Musselman and I bet it will be for FB also.

Besides Norvell or any other coach still working isn't going to talk about taking another job at this point, it looks bad, is a negative for his current team with games and bowl games left.  Plus sounding too interested gets in the way of negotiations which mostly are done with agents.

I think your biggest misconception is that the athletic director sits in a room by himself and makes calls, sets up interviews, and has nobody to answer to.. ultimately, he makes the choices on who he wants to hire but there is a board, boosters, and his bosses who like to be kept in the loop.

This isn't some secret society. People outside of HY know what is going on.

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2019, 09:57:15 pm »

What sunk Bielema was not having Barry Alvarez to kick is aas when he wanted to hoist a few to many.  What was wrong with Morris was he couldn't coach at the SEC level.
Bad decision making process in both hires, especially Morris. Wrong folks influencing the hire. That's what ruined he process. I remember some folks getting excited about the Gus tie, the Texas tie.  Just hire a good coach with a proven success story as a head coach.  How hard is that to figure out?

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #223 on: November 17, 2019, 09:58:57 pm »

I think your biggest misconception is that the athletic director sits in a room by himself and makes calls, sets up interviews, and has nobody to answer to.. ultimately, he makes the choices on who he wants to hire but there is a board, boosters, and his bosses who like to be kept in the loop.

This isn't some secret society. People outside of HY know what is going on.
And a majority of those people should be able to stay quiet.  Those who cannot don't need to have the information, because someone who runs their mouth either doesn't know  or can't be trusted.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #224 on: November 17, 2019, 10:06:07 pm »

Who's baseball program?    I keep hearing the folks in the know aren't saying anything.

Ours... Arkansas. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #225 on: November 17, 2019, 10:08:11 pm »

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the main Norvell thread? 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #226 on: November 17, 2019, 10:08:57 pm »

And a majority of those people should be able to stay quiet.  Those who cannot don't need to have the information, because someone who runs their mouth either doesn't know  or can't be trusted.

You been in a cave the last 25 years?  People let things out all the time. 

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2019, 10:15:32 pm »

Sure they do but you don't know who has inforamtion and who thinks they have information and who is BSing the whole thing.   I'm thinking at this point those with a shot are still evaluating their options and what they need to move.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #228 on: November 17, 2019, 10:34:10 pm »

Sure they do but you don't know who has inforamtion and who thinks they have information and who is BSing the whole thing.   I'm thinking at this point those with a shot are still evaluating their options and what they need to move.

What can I say?  You donít have to trust anyone on here, but when some of us tell you SPAL brings solid info and has a great track record for it, you can continue acting as if itís guvhog non sense on your own. 

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #229 on: November 17, 2019, 10:44:41 pm »

What can I say?  You donít have to trust anyone on here, but when some of us tell you SPAL brings solid info and has a great track record for it, you can continue acting as if itís guvhog non sense on your own.

Guv Hog.  LOL.   He knows what he thinks he knows. 

hogbbq

• Hogvillian
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2019, 10:47:48 pm »

Everybody has connections but you never know how good the information is until the other shoe drops.  I've got a couple of very good SEC connections in Memphis and a good one in Tuscaloosa but they only know what they hear and sometimes when it's golden its still is iffy.

Kneph13

• Senior
  • Music; the only religion that delivers the goods
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2019, 11:44:39 pm »

But they shouldn't.  People need to get reacquainted with what it means to keep your mouth shut. 

duckman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Outkicked my coverage
« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2019, 09:04:28 am »

Any update?

Your inbox is full tried to reply to your message and the answer is yes!  Message me back and empty your inbox if you see this.  Thanks...

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2019, 09:06:50 am »

Seems like Norvell is one of the candidates for Florida State, as I just read an article from the Tallahassee Democrat. Seems like Stoops is ďnot a candidateĒ at this time. Wow, what a 180 from all the reports I saw on twitter last night. This explains why my sources were saying Sexton was pushing other coaches, rather than Norvell. Seems that we will have to wait and see what happens at Florida State. Will update as I get more information, but right now insider information has been stagnant. The only definite answer Iíve been told is ďGus is not coming.Ē  Itís a waiting game until that Florida State job gets filled, and if any other blue blood programs open up, like Penn State or Oklahoma if Riley leaves for Jason Garrettís spot. Will update as I get info. Seems like any coaching ďleadersĒ are just smoke until all the jobs open up and the whole landscape is put into perspective. I was told HY prefers no retreads, and I, but most importantly my two sources, still believe that to be true. Iíve heard there has been flirting with Leach, but nothing ďserious.Ē Seems like it has been a very boring week in the coaching search.

Garrett not going anywhere until after the season.  Might as well take that out of the equation.  Riley may indeed fill his spot in Dallas next year.

HF#1

« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2019, 09:25:51 am »

Just wondering about strategy here, but why do we have to wait until FSU hires someone.  seems like we might want to beat them to the punch.  Or is it that noone will accept the arkansas job while they still have a shot at the FSU job?

It's not us that is waiting. It's Jimmy Sexton waiting to see who Florida State wants before he directs his clients to their prospective jobs. He is the puppet master in all this. Doing what is best for his clients.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas