• 10,473,900 Posts
• 413,248 Topics
• 23,631 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intentionally Vanilla  (Read 5947 times)

LZH

Re: Intentionally Vanilla
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2018, 12:08:31 am »

As to run blocking, does 'crab crawling' not work anymore? Fire off the ball and hit em around their waist with your shoulder pads and push/crawl as fast and as hard as you can - stay on all fours if you have to. Easier said than done, I know.....but:

Maybe it was a HS thing...worked for us (undersized OL). Pad level my ass. Get low and all you need is to move your man out of the way a bit.

RebelW

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2018, 12:49:20 am »

Jordan Jones did say “we didn’t even open up anything in our offense”

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2018, 12:54:11 am »

Agree, but that certainly doesn't explain zero run blocking.  Maybe that doesn't get covered until page 3.

Clearly EIU geared up to stop the run. So we en turn burn em all day through the air.No need to bust out more of the run game to an FCS team on day one.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2018, 08:51:29 am »

As to run blocking, does 'crab crawling' not work anymore? Fire off the ball and hit em around their waist with your shoulder pads and push/crawl as fast and as hard as you can - stay on all fours if you have to. Easier said than done, I know.....but:

Maybe it was a HS thing...worked for us (undersized OL). Pad level my ass. Get low and all you need is to move your man out of the way a bit.

Does anyone coach the technique anymore? Heck, they don't get in a proper stance half the time now to get there from. You fire off into their legs a few times and it sure as heck slows them up.

Sivad

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2018, 06:58:12 pm »

Intentionally Vanilla should look like Salted Caramel against an opponent the status of Eastern Illinois.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2018, 07:01:01 pm »

Clearly EIU geared up to stop the run. So we en turn burn em all day through the air.No need to bust out more of the run game to an FCS team on day one.

I get the whole...take what they give you.  But surely an SEC is capable of running it better than we did against an inferior opponent.  Surely.  Didn't have to be dominant.  Just competent.

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2018, 09:29:53 pm »

I’d agree it was somewhat vanilla, but looked like to me it had less to do with hiding anything and more to do with trying to get the team to play solid mistake free football.  We didn’t see much tempo either, probably for the same reason.  Get them settled in, and then hammer down.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2018, 09:34:59 pm »

The pass blocking was the best we’ve seen in several years.  And we got good push on goal line situations.  I think it was a number of factors that caused the run game to struggle, but there are reasons to be hopeful if one is so inclined.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2018, 10:04:36 pm »

Guys, Morris is one thing for certain, methodical! He has a plan, remember the rainy practice and how he said that he had scripted that day as a wet ball day, 4 months earlier?

Game 1 feed the team no more than they can handle and handle well. Maybe a little less tempo and fewer plays to just let the players settle-in to the new schemes.

Game 2 will probably be more of the same with another 5-10% added. Learn how to travel and play on the road as a Morris team. Add enough to make the game flow better but not so much as to overwhelm the players. Get better and get more comfortable.

Game 3 is where we should see a bit more of the package. Time to work in more of the playbook because we are back home and have 2 solid games under our belt. But, we WILL hold back a few things to maybe give us a spark in our first big test.

Dionysos25

« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2018, 02:11:09 pm »

Jordan Jones did say “we didn’t even open up anything in our offense”

That felt like a strange thing for a player to say to me.. Idk why. It just felt weird.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2018, 02:48:22 pm »

I get the whole...take what they give you.  But surely an SEC is capable of running it better than we did against an inferior opponent.  Surely.  Didn't have to be dominant.  Just competent.

Many moons ago I recall us playing Chatanooga at WMS, and it was one of DMAC's last times to play at Little Rock.  Everyone was expecting him to run for a cozillion yards, but they sold out to stop the run, and it wasn't until late when they were softened up that DMAC was able to do much of anything. 

If you put enough players in the box and completely sell out, stopping the run becomes a lot more feasible for even overmatched teams.  It's specifically why CBB was able to lose, or nearly lose, to FAR inferior opponents.  He REFUSED to take what the defense would give, and stubbornly kept trying to run with 9 in the box, and man on the outside, and it always befuddled me. 

I'm not going to knock us not being able to run, if we are able to throw 40+ yard bombs on their corners, with safeties that cheated up to the LOS.  I'd LOVE to think our WR's can do that to SEC teams, but I doubt it.  I still think you take what the defense gives you.  Running into the teeth of a 9 man front isn't going to prove anything.  I'm WAY more worried about our inability to stop the run.... :-\   

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2018, 02:50:41 pm »

The overwhelmingly most positive thing to take from that game was the improvement in pass blocking.  Our QB's were taking hits from every team last year.  I'm cautiously optimistic that we focused on that, and our run blocking will improve in the coming weeks when we play teams that aren't going to be willing to let us throw over the top while they sell out to stop the run. 

010HogFan

• "Wait Till Next Year!"
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2018, 03:22:41 pm »

That felt like a strange thing for a player to say to me.. Idk why. It just felt weird.

where did you see this? I watched his postgame press conference with McClure and Calloway and I never heard him say it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:53:18 pm by 010HogFan »

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2018, 03:26:58 pm »

The staff is working stuff in slowly.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2018, 03:35:32 pm »

No. That would be bc our offensive line is not good
Not to mention the running backs did miss some reads.

OkieBack

• Hogvillian
  • Everybody Love Everybody
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2018, 03:42:33 pm »

The pass blocking was the best we’ve seen in several years.  And we got good push on goal line situations.  I think it was a number of factors that caused the run game to struggle, but there are reasons to be hopeful if one is so inclined.

Vanilla?  Or is it just not functioning on all cylinders yet?  Coach CM even implied that the lack of running wasn't the O-Line's fault completely.  Timing, following your blockers, finding the gaps.  I was happy with the defensive turnovers and at least offensively we did one thing right and could pass a bit. 

But overall, yeah...we gonna have to figure out how to improve the run game for SEC play.  But man, how refreshing is it to see if one phase of the game isn't working...we actually try something different?  Should be fun by game #5 or #6.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2018, 03:47:13 pm »

Intentionally Vanilla was my rap name in college. Thanks for the shout out.

Uncle Remus

• Varsity
  • Whatya hear...whatya say?!?
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2018, 03:55:54 pm »

While I also didn't want to hear anything about it being "plain Vanilla" I truly believe that is what we got Saturday.  Every single running play was pretty much a zone, a basic speed option, or a pitch.  We didn't really see much deception such as counters, speed sweeps, jet sweeps, or anything else that would raise any eyebrows.  Anyone with any knowledge of this type of offense knows that these things are pretty much staples in the running game.

Also, I am not going to wail on a kid on here, but our ball carrier vision among our running backs was poor this weekend.  I understand that some of their holes they were looking for were not there at times, but there were several times I watched the ball carrier run up the back of our lineman and wanted to scream at the TV and ask why they couldn't slide over 3 feet and hit the hole that was there.  We also don't come out o the backfield like the Bama, Georgia, and LSU backs.  They hit the seam at full speed...we dance and hope that something opens up to get further down the field.  Was really disappointed in the rushing effort Saturday, but I think everyone was from the HC on down.  Here is hoping it becomes more impactful this weekend as I don't see CSU loading the box as heavily as they have seen if you make us, we will pass the ball.

010HogFan

• "Wait Till Next Year!"
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2018, 04:02:07 pm »

While I also didn't want to hear anything about it being "plain Vanilla" I truly believe that is what we got Saturday.  Every single running play was pretty much a zone, a basic speed option, or a pitch.  We didn't really see much deception such as counters, speed sweeps, jet sweeps, or anything else that would raise any eyebrows.  Anyone with any knowledge of this type of offense knows that these things are pretty much staples in the running game.

I have been saying the same thing. We didn't do anything creative in the slightest, which leads me to believe it was very much by design, knowing the type of offense Chad runs. That would be like Gus calling straight dives all game. It might be because our offense is only "30% installed" or whatever the number was that was being spread around, but I bet we at least have a few flashy calls that we haven't seen yet.

OkieBack

• Hogvillian
  • Everybody Love Everybody
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2018, 05:12:42 pm »

It might be because our offense is only "30% installed" or whatever the number was that was being spread around, but I bet we at least have a few flashy calls that we haven't seen yet.
Exactly.  55 points ain't bad if it was a vanilla offense or a partially-installed offense.  Let's let this team figure a few things out and then see what happens.  Defense play was optimistic.  Offense showed some life.  Let's tighten the bolts a little and see how good we can be this season. 

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2018, 09:34:57 pm »

I read where T.J. Hammonds is getting some first team reps this week.  I remember one play where he planted a foot and then shot through a hole like we will need our backs to do in this scheme.

secthumper

• Senior
  • 2005 Hogville College Football Pickem Champion
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2018, 08:35:43 am »

I hear ya on this....the "vanilla today, all is really awesome and we will bring it out to fruition next week" stuff from the past few years got really really old.
Agreed!

010HogFan

• "Wait Till Next Year!"
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2018, 08:38:58 am »

I hear ya on this....the "vanilla today, all is really awesome and we will bring it out to fruition next week" stuff from the past few years got really really old.

The difference is, the past few years, that's all we really had in the playbook that the coach was actually willing to run. I don't think that's the case right now.

liljo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2018, 08:54:23 am »

Exactly.  55 points ain't bad if it was a vanilla offense or a partially-installed offense.  Let's let this team figure a few things out and then see what happens.  Defense play was optimistic.  Offense showed some life.  Let's tighten the bolts a little and see how good we can be this season.

Opportunistic.

Being THAT is key to winning a lot of games. Five turnovers and a defensive score really aided our point production. Big plays on offense, especially in that 2nd quarter blitzkrieg, were good to see.

The team gave the coaches a lot to study, and the coaches will give the team a lot to work on. Time management, situational punting, field position, mid-game adjustments, etc. all seemed MUCH improved, and considering that was the first game, we should all find encouragement as Hog fans.

This team is a long ways from being where it is headed. In the meantime it is great having smart, capable coaches, who can actually TEACH the players to execute properly.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2018, 08:55:18 am »

where did you see this? I watched his postgame press conference with McClure and Calloway and I never heard him say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW1oiHGQ4NU

010HogFan

• "Wait Till Next Year!"
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2018, 09:42:11 am »

Opportunistic.

Being THAT is key to winning a lot of games. Five turnovers and a defensive score really aided our point production. Big plays on offense, especially in that 2nd quarter blitzkrieg, were good to see.

The team gave the coaches a lot to study, and the coaches will give the team a lot to work on. Time management, situational punting, field position, mid-game adjustments, etc. all seemed MUCH improved, and considering that was the first game, we should all find encouragement as Hog fans.

This team is a long ways from being where it is headed. In the meantime it is great having smart, capable coaches, who can actually TEACH the players to execute properly.

adjustment? what's that? the only adjustment the last coach knew how to make was his belt loop after dinner
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas