• 10,794,537 Posts
• 421,212 Topics
• 24,753 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mid South  (Read 1713 times)

husker71

Mid South
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:11:07 am »

I spend alot of time on Youtube now because TV here in the Philippines is just ok.  Anyway I have been watching alot of wrestling videos on it and I think that Mid South was the best territory of all time.  Boyd Pierce would wear those loud jackets and just introduce Bill Watts and then Watts would go to town and I think he was the most exciting announcer there was.  Then he would be joined by a young Jim Ross (who would also do the ring introductions sometimes) and that may be as good as it gets.  So many angles and so much heat and so many fairly unknowns really giving their best.  Tag teams like Midnight Express and R and R express and Mr Wrestling 1 and 2.   Duggan and JYD and DiBiase and so many more.  Who ever was writing and booking this stuff was really getting over.  I also like Fritz von Erichs Texas operation and Memphis but to me Mid South was the best. By the way over here they bring in WWE once per year but no other wrestling that I can find BUT basketball is the national game and hoops all up and down the streets and on Sunday cock fighting all over in fact just on my block there are fights at 2 different locations that trade off every week.

TNhogfan

Re: Mid South
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 01:10:12 pm »

Mid-South was some of the best episodic TV there was.  I was never a fan of Watts in the ring, but as a promoter he always knew where he wanted the promotion to go and gave great thought to details.  As a commentator he knew what he wanted to get over and he could do it better than about any announcer there was.  Although as good as he was at getting his stories across and as much attention to details as he gave, he could also chase rabbits on broadcasts by talking about his planes, OU football, politics, etc. 

I don't think Watts ever served as book for Mid-South, but he would give his bookers the direction he wanted to go and let them get there.  He also was known to put a bunch of chairs in a circle and get ideas from everyone:  the booker, agents, wrestlers, refs, announcers, camera guys, everybody.    From what I know bookers were:  Buck Robley, Ernie Ladd and I think back to Robley for a short time, Bill Dundee, Dick Slater and Eddie Gilbert.  I think that is all of them.  Just good all around.

You have found something great on YouTube. The WWE Network is slowly releasing more and more Mid-South, I just wish they would put 1980-81 out.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:44:32 pm »

Mid South was the best in my Book.

husker71

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 08:49:38 pm »

Watching the rise and fall of the Von Erichs on Youtube and it was amazing how far ahead they were ahead of everyone technically.  They were smart enough to make the decision that they could not be cutting edge using old wrestlers so to go along with their new shows they went out and found some young talent to make it new and fresh.  Until David died they were worldwide and got huge shares on most tv stations.  I think you should watch this show on Youtube (over 2 hours) if you can find the time.  Saddest parts to me were Davids death and after Mike(who probably should never become a wrestler) coming back from his coma and Fritz pushing him back into the business way to soon.

Junkyard Hog

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 10:44:32 am »

I got my handle from Mid South!!!

rzrbkman

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 04:47:37 pm »

I like to watch some of the older matches on You Tube. I have tried repeatedly to find one of Grizzly Smith wrestling but have been unable to do so.

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 03:21:23 pm »

Does anyone here know if there is a site where Icould watch the video clip Skandar Akbar made introducing Kamala, the Ugandan Giant when he first appeared. Supposedly filmed in Uganda but probably filmed somewhere in the boondocks  of Miss, ARK, or LA. Does anyone remember that video?

jbcarol

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:50:31 am »

https://www.wwe.com/videos/skandor-akbar-introduces-kamala-to-wccw-world-class-championship-wrestling-feb-22-1983

Thanks a lot! Talk about blasts from the past! My brother, cousin, and I lived to watch Mid South Wrestling back in the day.Take care and God bless!

TNhogfan

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 06:28:59 pm »

Does anyone here know if there is a site where Icould watch the video clip Skandar Akbar made introducing Kamala, the Ugandan Giant when he first appeared. Supposedly filmed in Uganda but probably filmed somewhere in the boondocks  of Miss, ARK, or LA. Does anyone remember that video?
James 'Sugar Bear' Harris had been a part of Jarrett/Lawler's Memphis promotion and other TN and MS promotion for years, when Lawler decided he needed a new gimmick.  They taped the Ugandan vignettes in Jerry Jarrett's backyard/farm in middle TN.  When he came to Mid-South, Watts just used what Memphis had used.  There's a great story of Harris' wife seeing him win a $10K Battle Royal on the TV out of Greenville, MS when he wrestled for the Culkins in the late '70s.  He had not smartened her up to the business.  She was very mad when he came home with no $10K. 

Big Boi

• Senior
  • The Rodney Dangerfield of Razorbacks
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 07:38:42 pm »

Mid South was looking for something fresh when Watts visited Jarrett in Memphis. What resulted was a talent trade that sent Rock n Roll, Mid Night with cornette, and superstar bill Dundee as book only. Memphis got a young Rick Rude and others.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 04:09:07 pm »

Fascinating stuff.  I grew up in Florida in the 70's and early 80's and their promotion with Gordon Solie was pretty good.  Saw Mid South for the first time when we moved to Arkansas in the 80's and for a regional they had good production quality and very entertaining.  The young talent that came through was very good and the feuds were great.  Of course back then I thought all that sh** was real.

TNhogfan

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »

Mid South was looking for something fresh when Watts visited Jarrett in Memphis. What resulted was a talent trade that sent Rock n Roll, Mid Night with cornette, and superstar bill Dundee as book only. Memphis got a young Rick Rude and others.
Watts definitely had the best end of the trade.  Jarrett and Lawler received Rude, Neidhart, Ito and Hacksaw Higgins.   Of course, Dundee after about 18 months did start getting involved.  I had gone to a TV taping in May '84 and saw Dundee sitting outside Irish McNeil.  Couldn't figure out why he was there as he never appeared on camera during this time. 
Mid-South did need those guys and Watts changed everything.  It paid off with the success of the Last Stampede.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »

Mid South was the class of them all. I got to see them and Memphis on TV .

husker71

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 04:02:31 am »

Did any of you guys ever meet Bill Watts??  Hard to find anyone that has anything but bad to say about him.  I know he tried very hard to push his son as hard as he could and even though the kid was athletic there was no sizzle there IMHO.

Hoot72

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 03:13:02 pm »

If you have not read "Slobberknocker -- My Life in Wrestling" by Jim Ross, you would really enjoy what he has to say about this era of wrestling.  He started out working for Leroy McQuirk, then Bill Watts, and right on up the line.  You will learn the stories of the stars, the jobbers, and the bums.  If you are the least bit interested in reading about the '70's, '80's, ... you will be glad that you read this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas