• 10,306,106 Posts
• 408,350 Topics
• 23,328 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52]   Go Down

Author Topic: GM 70: COLLEGE WORLD SERIES FINALS: GAME 2: #5 Arkansas 48-19 vs #3 OSU 53-12  (Read 32004 times)

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Will the Hogs make it back to Omaha in 2019 ?

This is true, but no fan would consider playing in the championship game a failure.
This guy's favorite golfer is Tiger Woods. Tiger Woods is the first athlete who would say he's not satisfied with second place. Not even in 2018.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie

Did the ball find his glove or did he actually make a good play on it? From the game, it looked like Martin somehow hit it directly into his glove.

I think he just stuck his glove down there and found it.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

JIMMY BOARFFETT

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'M NOT PERFECT, BUT PARTS OF ME ARE EXCELLENT!

When you don't hit and only score 3 runs against OSU - your defense and pitchers have to be near perfect to win the game. We put ourselves in a position where we couldn't afford any mistakes and we made one.

In amongst all this moaning and gnashing of teeth, this is an accurate, succinct summation of last night's game situation.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian

In amongst all this moaning and gnashing of teeth, this is an accurate, succinct summation of last night's game situation.
I agree about the runs, sort of, but when the time of reckoning came 1-2 count, 2 outs for OSU, they had only 2 runs...anyone who takes the above position as an excuse to a loss is saying they would have been just a bit disappointed if we had only won 3-2 instead of say, 8-2

Deep Shoat

• The Artist formerly known as Hong Kong Sooey

It's COULDN'T.  You couldn't care less.  If you could care less, then you do care.  Which is it?
Actually, either usage is considered correct.

HawgTrough

That's the thing...it's ALWAYS something, right?  Game 1 could have been played...SHOULD have been played on Monday.  Wasn't. 

We get lucky last night and win with 4 hits versus 9, and we stranded how many???  Over 10 I know.  Our pitching was stellar, and we benefitted from the 4 run blowup.   

Then tonight we're a strike away even with the foul ball mishap....can't get it done.

I hope that tomorrow...we take advantage of a depleted pitching staff and bat around 4 times in the first inning.  But...

At this point, if I refer back to my 49 years as a Hog fan, I completely expect an ump with a strike zone the size of a peanut, for Campbell to have another 13 pitch outing, and us to be left with more issues than them with regard to pitching. 

I have to HOPE that for once...we rise up and get it done.  DVH deserves it, and so do the fans.  It's just so disheartening to be that close, and snatch defeat from the grasp of victory.  When the foul ball hit the ground...you could tell we were going to lose.  It's just part of being a Razorback fan.   :puke: 

Well, you pretty much said it all. Hats off

hogfan10

Don't you think Cole could have gotten to it - it looked like it dropped about 3 ft in front of him and he had quit running.

I do think Cole could have gotten to it, but Shaddy beat him to the spot and called it. Cole and Gates were on a direct path to a head on collision.

Birminghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net

Only because we have gotten so incredibly sloppy with our language. The logic behind his argument is irrefutable.

Birminghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net

I do think Cole could have gotten to it, but Shaddy beat him to the spot and called it. Cole and Gates were on a direct path to a head on collision.
Itís like Perez said. The outfielder has the right-of-way on that ball. However, Shaddy called it, Cole deferred to Shaddy & didnít call him off, Shaddy overran it, & the ball dropped. Gotta have a short memory.

Letís go out & win it tonight.

hogfan10

Itís like Perez said. The outfielder has the right-of-way on that ball. However, Shaddy called it, Cole deferred to Shaddy & didnít call him off, Shaddy overran it, & the ball dropped. Gotta have a short memory.

Letís go out & win it tonight.
I donít disagree with that, but itís not unusual for an OF to defer to the IF on a ball like that.

Lieutenant Dan

I donít disagree with that, but itís not unusual for an OF to defer to the IF on a ball like that.

The result also isn't uncommon.  A ball hit there sometimes hits the ground at all levels.  Unfortunately, this time it had a huge cost.  Shaddy called it too early.  You have to give the outfielder a chance to determine if he can get there before you call it.  That being said Shaddy was just stepping up trying to secure the win for the team.  He was so pumped he overran it. 

hogfan10

The result also isn't uncommon.  A ball hit there sometimes hits the ground at all levels.  Unfortunately, this time it had a huge cost.  Shaddy called it too early.  You have to give the outfielder a chance to determine if he can get there before you call it.  That being said Shaddy was just stepping up trying to secure the win for the team.  He was so pumped he overran it. 
Agree, don't necessarily fault Shaddy; he was trying to make a play, and he was in position to do so. But, I think infielders should call balls on the infield not balls in mid/shallow outfield, that's the OF's job. Infield gives chase until called off.

And you are right, it happens at all levels.

hoglady

I agree about the runs, sort of, but when the time of reckoning came 1-2 count, 2 outs for OSU, they had only 2 runs...anyone who takes the above position as an excuse to a loss is saying they would have been just a bit disappointed if we had only won 3-2 instead of say, 8-2

Nope.
I was saying we left ourselves no room for error, either defensively or on the pitcher's mound because we batted so poorly.

kodiakisland

No, it's only considered correct by those who don't understand why it's wrong in the first place.  Just because people continue to repeat something wrong doesn't make it right.

Regardless (or should I say irregardless), I'm stoked for tonight.  It's their chance to show what they have. WPS!

porkrindjimmy

Agree, don't necessarily fault Shaddy; he was trying to make a play, and he was in position to do so. But, I think infielders should call balls on the infield not balls in mid/shallow outfield, that's the OF's job. Infield gives chase until called off.

And you are right, it happens at all levels.

That 99% of the time is the 2nd basemans play.

I see it everyday.

PRJ

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland

That 99% of the time is the 2nd basemans play.

I see it everyday.

PRJ

When you have three guys going for it, never turns out well. Two can figure it out. Somebody's gotta be called off.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian

When you have three guys going for it, never turns out well. Two can figure it out. Somebody's gotta be called off.
the outfielder ALWAYS takes charge and makes the call of who's going to take the foul ball in a situation that deep down the field and out of play....look the people who say we didn't have enough time to get there didn't see the same play I saw...the right fielder stopped dead in his tracks when the 2nd baseman came flying out of nowhere splitting the two guys who had the best shot at making the play....truth is, the ball hit not 3 feet in front of right fielder, one more step is a basket catch two more steps and he catches it one handed and Fayetteville is still throwing parties...that's the way I saw it and no one is going to change my mind...I still want to thank deeply, from the pit of my heart, the "drive and want to" of the 2018 version of the Diamond Hogs, they ALL were one of a kind and played as a band of brothers....Will follow next year's team if "the Good Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise"    Always a Hog, pfa

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!

the outfielder ALWAYS takes charge and makes the call of who's going to take the foul ball in a situation that deep down the field and out of play....look the people who say we didn't have enough time to get there didn't see the same play I saw...the right fielder stopped dead in his tracks when the 2nd baseman came flying out of nowhere splitting the two guys who had the best shot at making the play....truth is, the ball hit not 3 feet in front of right fielder, one more step is a basket catch two more steps and he catches it one handed and Fayetteville is still throwing parties...that's the way I saw it and no one is going to change my mind...I still want to thank deeply, from the pit of my heart, the "drive and want to" of the 2018 version of the Diamond Hogs, they ALL were one of a kind and played as a band of brothers....Will follow next year's team if "the Good Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise"    Always a Hog, pfa

I don't know how that normally plays out...but from clear back in the Pony League days, it was ALWAYS the outfielder's ball IF HE CALLED IT.  As a SS, I always knew that, and the minute I heard it called from the outfield...I just tried to get out of the way. 

I think the issue here is...Cole didn't call it.  It's VERY hard to blame Shaddy for trying to get there when he's looking up at the ball, and Cole isn't calling it.  I 100% agree, Cole COULD have caught the ball.   

Also...we wouldn't have had a lead in the first place it it wasn't for Shaddy's clutch hit to go up 3-2.  I feel bad for him, but with the way that played out, it was just one of those plays that happens. 

I don't hear anyone blaming Cronin for giving him a good pitch to hit subsequently, or any of the plays earlier that led to their runs.  It was a team loss on a FLUKE play that will forever haunt Hog fans.  So..nothing new really.   ;D

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
Re: GM 70: COLLEGE WORLD SERIES FINALS: GAME 2: #5 Arkansas 48-19 vs #3 OSU 53-12
« Reply #2568 on: February 05, 2019, 03:14:27 pm »

I am still pissed about the dropped fly ball that would have gave us the National Championship. 

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
Re: GM 70: COLLEGE WORLD SERIES FINALS: GAME 2: #5 Arkansas 48-19 vs #3 OSU 53-12
« Reply #2569 on: February 05, 2019, 03:47:16 pm »

I am still pissed about the dropped fly ball that would have gave us the National Championship. 

It was a tough play

SooievilleSlugger97

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2570 on: February 06, 2019, 11:24:59 am »

On a day I'm trying to be happy about NSD, you bring this up  :-[
Oh well, just a few more days until baseball!

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #2571 on: February 06, 2019, 12:56:09 pm »

No one feels worse about it than the three players converging on it, and no one getting any leather on it. 

What's odd to me is, everyone I've spoken with about it concedes that we had gotten to that point mostly through smoke and mirrors, against a very good team that wasn't playing their best.  They also say that from the minute that ball hit the ground, they knew we couldn't overcome it.  It's just the mentality from being a Hog fan for all these years, and continuously being able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  We don't do it as much as Vandy, but we get more than our fair share of heartbreak.

Sadly...I'm becoming numb to it at this point.   :(   

jabberjawls

« Reply #2572 on: February 06, 2019, 02:28:44 pm »

Hey, i have an idea.  LET IT GO!

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #2573 on: February 06, 2019, 02:31:32 pm »

It was a tough play

How 3 College players around the ball and it hit the ground .  I give them a pass if they were 10-12 in a Little League game.

Call it and catch the ball.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #2574 on: February 06, 2019, 06:34:25 pm »

Hey, i have an idea.  LET IT GO!

, said all three players.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas