• 10,555,036 Posts
• 415,785 Topics
• 23,846 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Website Rates Head Coach Hires: Arkansas A-  (Read 1818 times)

oldgoat

Website Rates Head Coach Hires: Arkansas A-
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:08:00 pm »

I just saw this and do not remember seeing it here:

http://newarena.com/ncaaf/letter-grades-for-every-major-college-football-head-coaching-hire/3/?amxt=yvid2ob_avntp2

New Arena in NCAAF by Jason Fray.

Arkansas gets an A- for hiring of Coach Morris.
I think that's about right based on his history and what I saw from him at the spring game.

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Website Rates Head Coach Hires: Arkansas A-
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 12:41:01 pm »

Sorry but what the heck do they know ??? I mean according to SOME on here this was the worst HC hire since Gary Faust back in "the day" at Notre Dame. I mean so far CCM hasn't won a SINGLE game as our HC ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:37:20 pm by Vantage 8 dude »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:29:32 pm »

We will see how this one works out.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:38:31 pm »

We will see how this one works out.
Yes we will. And that's just hope that we don't have to start the cycle of hire, fire, hire, fire, etc. all over again just a few years down the road. Can't take much more of this.  >:(

Rudy Baylor

• "Fire him and I'm coming home." Billy Ferrell
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:58:08 pm »

my eyes glazed over after "Website"

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 07:29:07 pm »

http://newarena.com/ncaaf/letter-grades-for-every-major-college-football-head-coaching-hire/3/?amxt=yvid2ob_avntp2

I think that's about right based on his history and what I saw from him at the spring game.

We will see, I hope they are right.

I also saw where they gave A&M an A- for the hiring of Jimbo Fisher. I know a lot of people think that he is a quality hire but I just feel like, if he couldn't dominate the Atlantic Division of the ACC with the talent levels that he recruited to that team, he sure as heck isn't going to do any better against tougher competition in the SEC West.

Morris is a different breed and more of an innovator, bringing with him some of the skill set of Petrino, though it is yet to be seen if he can scheme on the same level with Petrino. Some believe that he can, some aren't so sure, still others think that he is glorified high school coach and these are perhaps the ones who could be the most wrong. His offense worked at Clemson before they were the "Clemson" of today. So there is hope that he can work the same magic at Arkansas that he did at Clemson and that Chavis finds a way to make our defense better than average. If those two things can be accomplished and recruiting/player development can be improved, we might just have a chance to become a 9-10-11 win team again. We'll see.

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 07:47:37 pm »

We will see, I hope they are right.

I also saw where they gave A&M an A- for the hiring of Jimbo Fisher. I know a lot of people think that he is a quality hire but I just feel like, if he couldn't dominate the Atlantic Division of the ACC with the talent levels that he recruited to that team, he sure as heck isn't going to do any better against tougher competition in the SEC West.

Morris is a different breed and more of an innovator, bringing with him some of the skill set of Petrino, though it is yet to be seen if he can scheme on the same level with Petrino. Some believe that he can, some aren't so sure, still others think that he is glorified high school coach and these are perhaps the ones who could be the most wrong. His offense worked at Clemson before they were the "Clemson" of today. So there is hope that he can work the same magic at Arkansas that he did at Clemson and that Chavis finds a way to make our defense better than average. If those two things can be accomplished and recruiting/player development can be improved, we might just have a chance to become a 9-10-11 win team again. We'll see.

83-23 overall
1 National Championship (2013)
3 ACC (2012–2014)
4 ACC Atlantic Division (2010, 2012–2014)

That’s pretty close to domination, but clearly his extreme success was tied to having an NFL-caliber QB, which is true of any college coach running a pro-style system.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:44:37 pm by hog.goblin »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 07:57:33 pm »

83-23 overall
2 National Championship (2003, 2013)
3 ACC (2012–2014)

That’s pretty close to domination, but clearly his extreme success was tied to having an NFL-caliber QB, which is true of any college coach running a pro-style system.

And 2015-2017 with the rise of Clemson? 10-3, 10-3 and 7-6...with all that talent. My point being, he underachieved when other teams grew to become better.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 08:00:30 pm »

83-23 overall
2 National Championship (2003, 2013)
3 ACC (2012–2014)

Not sure Fisher should get credit as OC for LSU’s 2003 NC. 

It’s hard to tell how much of FSU’s success under Fisher was due to him and how much it was due to what Bobby Bowden built in 33 seasons there. Fisher did return FSU to where it had been after some down years at the end of Bowden’s career. Jameis Winston did help with the NC.

A&M is recruiting well under Fisher so far. I guess we’ll know in a few years whether he is another Saban or just another mortal.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 08:21:00 pm »

Media is out to get us. Obviously a reverse jinx.

hog.goblin

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 09:41:14 pm »

And 2015-2017 with the rise of Clemson? 10-3, 10-3 and 7-6...with all that talent. My point being, he underachieved when other teams grew to become better.

I’m not sure 10 - 3 in consecutive years is underachieving, even with all that talent.  What Dabo has done at Clemson is remarkable, and doesn’t make Jimbo look bad.

Last year was a huge step back, and frankly why he isn’t there anymore.  But it goes to show you what one injury to a QB and a subpar OL can do to any team.

hog.goblin

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 09:44:13 pm »

Not sure Fisher should get credit as OC for LSU’s 2003 NC. 

It’s hard to tell how much of FSU’s success under Fisher was due to him and how much it was due to what Bobby Bowden built in 33 seasons there. Fisher did return FSU to where it had been after some down years at the end of Bowden’s career. Jameis Winston did help with the NC.

A&M is recruiting well under Fisher so far. I guess we’ll know in a few years whether he is another Saban or just another mortal.

Oops, didn’t notice the LSU NC got in there.

Bowden was 38 - 27 his last 5 years.  If he didn’t retire it was going to get ugly.

HognotinMemphis

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 09:49:11 pm »

Shows you how ignorant majority of people posting here are...90% were against his hire and very disappointed at first.

gawntrail

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 10:29:25 pm »

Shows you how ignorant majority of people posting here are...90% were against his hire and very disappointed at first.

Kiffin would have been A+ hire.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 10:35:49 pm »

Sorry but what the heck do they know ??? I mean according to SOME on here this was the worst HC hire since Gary Faust back in "the day" at Notre Dame. I mean so far CCM hasn't won a SINGLE game as our HC ;)
Bull crap.!! He's undefeated.!!  ;)

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:34 pm »

Bull crap.!! He's undefeated.!!  ;)
That's the way I prefer to look at it. However, some obviously don't. But then again, to each his own :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas