• 10,546,366 Posts
• 415,597 Topics
• 23,821 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New rule suggestion for extra innings....  (Read 887 times)

GolfNut57

New rule suggestion for extra innings....
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:47:08 pm »

Did anyone see the suggestion by MLB that in extra inning games, to possibly help end them faster the suggestion is to start each half inning with runners at first and second, beginning with the 11th inning. Obviously the idea being that it would make it easier to likely score the run needed to end the game quicker.

Possibly one of the worst, and stupidest ideas I have seen lately proposed by MLB. I don't figure this one has much chance of being accepted.

clutch

Re: New rule suggestion for extra innings....
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:37:41 am »

Did anyone see the suggestion by MLB that in extra inning games, to possibly help end them faster the suggestion is to start each half inning with runners at first and second, beginning with the 11th inning. Obviously the idea being that it would make it easier to likely score the run needed to end the game quicker.

Possibly one of the worst, and stupidest ideas I have seen lately proposed by MLB. I don't figure this one has much chance of being accepted.

Haven't seen that, but it comes from fastpitch softball. They do something similar in extras. It will never happen in MLB.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jst01

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:49:20 am »

Yea I heard that discussed on the radio. Not a fan of that idea. 

I thought of an equally crazy and bad idea to hurry the game after 9 innings..

Starting in the 10th, each team in the field must play with 1 less fielder each half inning. So 8 fielders in the tenth, 7 in the eleventh and so on.  Eventually you would have to decide if you wanted two outfielders and no third baseman or maybe just one outfielder..haha.  Could be interesting and funny to see a shortstop sprinting to the left-center gap for a ball. 

jrulz83

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 02:27:31 pm »

They need to stop messing with baseball. The runner on second in extras is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. The limited mound visit rule they’re doing this year is dumb. I hate the intentional walk rule too. We’ve all seen games turn on a pitcher screwing up an intentional walk even at the MLB level.

Rob Manfred, if you read this (and I know you do), all you have to do if you want shorter games is widen the strike zone. Forget all these gimmicky rule changes.

pigture perfect

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 08:47:42 pm »

I love free baseball. If I’m paying money to see a game, I most generally could not care less about how long a game lasts.

joeyself

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 11:36:33 pm »

They need to stop messing with baseball. The runner on second in extras is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. The limited mound visit rule they’re doing this year is dumb. I hate the intentional walk rule too. We’ve all seen games turn on a pitcher screwing up an intentional walk even at the MLB level.

I didn't know they were doing that in Double A until I saw it in a September game between the Naturals and the Travelers.  The guy that made the last out in the prior inning started the 10th at second base.   I can understand that the younger arms could get injured if overworked--I would have preferred that the 10th play as usual and then go to the gimmick after that time if needed.   

I will admit that beyond the novelty, it did provide an element of excitement to the extra frame, even beyond what one would normally experience.

JcS
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas