• 10,328,445 Posts
• 408,895 Topics
• 23,358 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soccer Thread 3.0  (Read 1046 times)

Cotton

• Hogvillian
  • Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
The Soccer Thread 3.0
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:20:04 am »

Apparently we've lost the soccer thread a couple times now so I'll just go with a clean slate. Would like to get the banter going again this spring and into the world cup this summer.

I actively watch Premier League, La Liga, Liga MX, and some MLS, Bundesliga, CONCACAF/CONMEBOL. I have teams I support, but I'm a fan of the sport in general and enjoy watching any good match-up (or even bad ones if there's not much else on.)

Please refrain from any negative USMNT discussion.  I'm not a mod, but would prefer we just leave that out of this thread. All other international talk is more than welcome.

Have at it Bruvs.

Oliver

Re: The Soccer Thread 3.0
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:02:54 pm »

#WengerOut

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:15:58 am »

#WengerOut
6th place looks good on yall  ;D

ArkyFan2626

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 12:39:08 pm »

6th place looks good on yall  ;D
Trying to fight for that Europa League spot next year.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 10:30:17 am »

Reviving this even if I'm the only one to keep up with it.

Been having fun watching the Gold Cup thus far. Jamaica-Honduras was the most entertaining game thus far.  The Jamaicans are fun to watch.

Mexico by far has the best team in the tourney.

More to come.

McKdaddy

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:03:58 pm »

Liverpool fan since 2003, when I began watching soccer.  My brother-in-law suggested I pick a team to follow from the EPL, that doing so might help me gain traction in this new interest.  I didn't know one team from another or their histories, but chose the Reds simply b/c I've been a Beatles fan since a friend played me Sgt Pepper in 7th grade in 1987.  Thus, Liverpool I chose and my brother-in-law (not a Liverpool fan) rolled his eyes.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 02:24:37 pm »

Liverpool fan since 2003, when I began watching soccer.  My brother-in-law suggested I pick a team to follow from the EPL, that doing so might help me gain traction in this new interest.  I didn't know one team from another or their histories, but chose the Reds simply b/c I've been a Beatles fan since a friend played me Sgt Pepper in 7th grade in 1987.  Thus, Liverpool I chose and my brother-in-law (not a Liverpool fan) rolled his eyes.
I've supported United since I was a kid because it was the only team on tv in the 90s. More recently, I've turned into a Premier League fan in general as well as several other leagues.  I regularly watch almost every premier league game, Liga MX, and various other matches.  Almost all UEFA Champions/Europa and CONCACAF/CONMEBOL Champions. As well as most international teams.

The main teams I closely follow:
Manchester United
Wolves
Everton
Barcelona
Leon (MX)

However I have a good knowledge of all the Prem/MX teams as well as several other major teams.  I usually keep one tv on soccer at all times at the house.

I follow Mexico national team closest, followed by various others. I've given up on USMNT.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 11:08:33 am »

Haiti beat Costa Rica last night and won their group in the Gold Cup.  What an accomplishment for that national team.

Gold cup matches have been fun thus far and we are ready for the knockout stages. Mexico the clear favorite with US not far behind.

USWNT got a gifted penalty to beat Spain and advance to the quarterfinals.

Some comedy in South America as Luis Suarez tried to claim a handball against the keeper in his own area lololol

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 04:10:03 pm »

US Women just advanced to the final of the Women's world cup.  They will face the winner of Sweden vs. Netherlands.

USMNT advanced to the Semi's of the Gold Cup and will face Jamaica.  Mexico and Haiti on the other side of that bracket.

Brazil vs. Argentina in Copa America is what I'm really looking forward to tonight.  Argentina is a weak side with the best player in the world.  Brazil is very talented and probably the favorite to win. Should be entertaining.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 12:57:47 pm »

Messi and Argentina were put out by a much better Brasil side 2-0.

Mexico defeated Haiti 1-0 on a penalty in extra time.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 12:58:45 pm »

Some interesting rule changes have just went into effect. I noticed the new goal kick rule being used by Mexico last night.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2019/06/02/new-handball-goal-kick-and-free-kick-rule-changes-now-into-effect/

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 01:58:11 pm »

The Jamaicans are fun to watch.

I got to sit in their bobsled. Thatís real entertainment unlike soccer.............

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 03:21:11 pm »

I got to sit in their bobsled. Thatís real entertainment unlike soccer.............
Imagine 11 bobsleders chasing a ball around a bunch of Americans for 90 minutes. And probably winning tbh.

GoHogsGo

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 10:46:52 am »

Youíre giving it a good go, Cotton, but it doesnít seem like there are many soccer fans here.  Too deep in the woods I suppose.  Anyway, I love soccer.   Didnít used to, but for the last 9 years or been watching tons.  Mostly EPL, English domestic cups, European cup comps, and some MLS.  Then, of course, the US national teams.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 10:29:33 am »

I normally only watch men's World Cup matches.  This year the American "women" did their job.  That is they have me watching.  For the first time in my life I'm cheering against a U.S.A team.   Been pulling for the opposition in every match.  Don't think the Netherlands can pull off a win, but would thrill me if they did.

Oliver

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 10:48:00 am »

I normally only watch men's World Cup matches.  This year the American "women" did their job.  That is they have me watching.  For the first time in my life I'm cheering against a U.S.A team.   Been pulling for the opposition in every match.  Don't think the Netherlands can pull off a win, but would thrill me if they did.

Not sure if Iíve ever cheered as much for a national soccer team as I have this womenís team

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 11:08:13 am »

Not sure if Iíve ever cheered as much for a national soccer team as I have this womenís team

So you are cheering for?  I'm cheering against.  We don't all have to agree all the time right :)

Oliver

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 11:18:52 am »

So you are cheering for?  I'm cheering against.  We don't all have to agree all the time right :)

I read you correctly.  I was just saying that Iím usually pretty invested in soccer but I canít remember cheering for a team as much as this one.  I wasnít saying that I had a problem with you choosing to do otherwise

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 11:27:29 am »

I read you correctly.  I was just saying that Iím usually pretty invested in soccer but I canít remember cheering for a team as much as this one.  I wasnít saying that I had a problem with you choosing to do otherwise

I certainly didn't take it that way sir.   

I will say this.  I hate the penalty kicks in matches like this.  I really feel like someone should have to lose a body part to be awarded one.

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 11:33:59 am »

That second goal was legit though.

Oliver

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 11:57:38 am »

I certainly didn't take it that way sir.   

I will say this.  I hate the penalty kicks in matches like this.  I really feel like someone should have to lose a body part to be awarded one.

I usually think that it should be a pretty bad foul for it to be awarded a penalty.  But Iíve seen a lot worse get awarded in some EPL matches. 

Oliver

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 11:58:00 am »

That second goal was legit though.

Yeah.  Juked the defender out of her cleats

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2019, 12:06:54 pm »

I usually think that it should be a pretty bad foul for it to be awarded a penalty.  But Iíve seen a lot worse get awarded in some EPL matches. 

Oh I know. If going by the rule a penalty kick was not out of line being awarded.  I just think it should be more like hockey.  Of course I think everything should be a lot more like hockey.

In soccer I would like it to be a player wiping out an opponent that's on an uncontested breakaway.  Not simply being touched in the box.   Is what it is though.

GoHogsGo

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 12:37:09 pm »

In soccer I would like it to be a player wiping out an opponent that's on an uncontested breakaway.  Not simply being touched in the box.   Is what it is though.

This was a bit more than being touched in the box though.  She was kicked high in the side.

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 01:01:03 pm »

This was a bit more than being touched in the box though.  She was kicked high in the side.

Oh I get it.  I guess my point is and I could be wrong, but even if that kick doesn't take place she had no chance of scoring a goal, or making a pass that would result in one being scored.  Just my opinion, and I'm certainly not that knowledgeable a soccer fan.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2019, 08:22:53 am »

Huge day of finals yesterday.

Women win the world cup.

Brazil beats Peru to win the Copa America.

Mexico beats USA to win the Gold Cup.

I watched all three.  The Dutch never looked like they had a chance against our women honestly. Brazil was playing a home game and have way to much talent for Peru, but the Peruvians pressed them hard. Mexico the clearly better team, but USA had plenty of chances to win that game. Some major holes to fix going forward for the USMNT.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:59 am »

Youíre giving it a good go, Cotton, but it doesnít seem like there are many soccer fans here.  Too deep in the woods I suppose.  Anyway, I love soccer.   Didnít used to, but for the last 9 years or been watching tons.  Mostly EPL, English domestic cups, European cup comps, and some MLS.  Then, of course, the US national teams.
Ehhh, If I end up talking to myself at least it's a place to put my thoughts into words.  Hopefully when the domestic leagues get going we can get a few guys in here to talk some footy.

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 08:52:42 am »

If only the coverage of the USWNT would focus on the play on the field instead of off the field......

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 09:44:44 am »

If only the coverage of the USWNT would focus on the play on the field instead of off the field......
Yeah I get tired of the political stuff from Rapinoe and the equal pay agenda.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 03:46:30 pm »

As far as the equal pay conversation, I looked into some of the figures today out of curiosity.

Men's 2018 Revenue: $5,350,000,000

Women's 2019 Revenue: $131,000,000

Men's 2018 Prize Money: $400,000,000

Women's 2019 Prize Money: $30,000,000

Thus, the share rates are 7.5% for the men vs. 22.9% for the women.  Women's salaries also guaranteed while men only paid when they play. 

Oliver

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 05:20:26 pm »

nm

sevenof400

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2019, 06:24:37 pm »

As far as the equal pay conversation, I looked into some of the figures today out of curiosity.

Men's 2018 Revenue: $5,350,000,000

Women's 2019 Revenue: $131,000,000

Men's 2018 Prize Money: $400,000,000

Women's 2019 Prize Money: $30,000,000

Thus, the share rates are 7.5% for the men vs. 22.9% for the women.  Women's salaries also guaranteed while men only paid when they play.

In the end, we have that same old problems still muddying the water - the USSF and FIFA.
Until there is meaningful reform of both of these institutions, soccer development in the USA will never catch up to the rest of the world.   

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 08:45:42 am »

The Rapinoe woman kneeling for the SSB and saying she wasn't going to "no f***ing White House", ruined it for me. At that point I stopped caring and actively hoped France would beat them. I knew the Netherlands had no chance.

I'm not a big fan, as the games seem boring. I guess I'm used to action in games (football, baseball, basketball, tiddly winks). I did watch some of the early games, and began to notice the strategy into trying to score.

sevenof400

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 11:25:48 am »

The Rapinoe woman kneeling for the SSB and saying she wasn't going to "no f***ing White House", ruined it for me. At that point I stopped caring and actively hoped France would beat them. I knew the Netherlands had no chance.

I'm not a big fan, as the games seem boring. I guess I'm used to action in games (football, baseball, basketball, tiddly winks). I did watch some of the early games, and began to notice the strategy into trying to score.

If the USSF had any sense, they would have dismissed Rapinoe from the team. 
There is a time and a place to express one's thoughts and beliefs but not when you are part of a team in pursuit of a title AND you are supposed to be representing your country.   

spe450

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 12:56:55 pm »

She hasn't taken a knee since 2016.  And why does it matter that she answered a question honestly?  Way worse has been said about her.

spe450

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2019, 12:57:28 pm »

If the USSF had any sense, they would have dismissed Rapinoe from the team. 
There is a time and a place to express one's thoughts and beliefs but not when you are part of a team in pursuit of a title AND you are supposed to be representing your country.   

I think she did a damn fine job of representing the US.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 01:05:05 pm »

^^^
I donít.

sevenof400

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 01:11:43 pm »

She hasn't taken a knee since 2016.  And why does it matter that she answered a question honestly?  Way worse has been said about her.

When she takes off the uniform and is NOT a representative of this country, what comes out of her mouth is her choice.

What has been said about her is irrelevant. 

I think she did a damn fine job of representing the US.

Only if you think homosexuality (and worse) should be viewed as normal - which it is NOT. 

spe450

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 01:19:37 pm »

When she takes off the uniform and is NOT a representative of this country, what comes out of her mouth is her choice.

What has been said about her is irrelevant. 

Only if you think homosexuality (and worse) should be viewed as normal - which it is NOT. 

Fortunately, you don't get to dictate any of it or what makes an American.  "Gasp!! A female said the F word and doesn't worship our president! Heavens to Betsy!"  Give me her America over yours.

And there it is.  Live your life in the glass closeted life of a homophobe.

She won and she dominated as a member of the US national team.  She did an amazing job.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 01:42:33 pm »

Rapinoe played an incredible game on the field for the USWNT.  She is a special player.

Once again, I don't condone her off the field statements but I tend to separate the player and the politics. Just wish the media would do the same. There is a major grey area between representing her country to the world and her behavior that distracts from that... unfortunately in my opinion she has done more of the later.

sevenof400

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2019, 02:18:54 pm »

Fortunately, you don't get to dictate any of it or what makes an American.  "Gasp!! A female said the F word and doesn't worship our president! Heavens to Betsy!"

If you can't understand what it means to represent a country, you do not belong in the uniform.

It's that simple.

I doubt you'll understand this.

Give me her America over yours.

Like the race card, the homophobe card has been long overdrawn.
I despise deviant behaviors.
All sorts.
Why?
Because I have to try and clean up the mess they leave behind every day in school. 
I see it in the community at large. 

I am working to help individuals improve - to achieve goals.  To meet (and surpass) standards.

I've seen too much damage as a result of this anything goes attitude. 

That is the American I am working for.

She won and she dominated as a member of the US national team.  She did an amazing job.

And alienated many as she ran her mouth.

And demonstrated how little she knows about being a teammate as opposed to an idiot.

Hogs33

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2019, 03:27:25 pm »

When you put on a jersey you are ONE team. What one person does or does not do represents everyone else. So when one player kneels... everyone kneels... when one showboats... everyone show boats... Because that one person becomes the center of attention and what they do affects everyone on that team and the Media proves/helps that.

People like Rapinoe can be a distraction and I am glad the USA team found a way to overcome that.

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2019, 10:37:17 pm »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2019/03/07/world-cup-soccer-pay-disparity-between-men-and-women-is-justified/#762860ff6da4

I work in utility markets and I hear it every few years about merging markets to form one huge market or several large markets.  Every study shows there being a net benefit but there are winners and there are losers.

What other way would there be to do it?  Combine the revenue from men and women's and then divide it?
Sounds great for one party.....not so much for the other.
Rob Peter to pay Paul (or Rupaul).

Equal rights starts with the toilet seat.

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2019, 08:27:10 am »

I work in utility markets and I hear it every few years about merging markets to form one huge market or several large markets.  Every study shows there being a net benefit but there are winners and there are losers.

What other way would there be to do it?  Combine the revenue from men and women's and then divide it?
Sounds great for one party.....not so much for the other.
Rob Peter to pay Paul (or Rupaul).

Equal rights starts with the toilet seat.
In my opinion, form two separate federations for men and women and let the free market value pay what it is capable of paying.

sevenof400

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2019, 08:31:03 am »

In my opinion, form two separate federations for men and women and let the free market value pay what it is capable of paying.

Are you talking domestically or internationally? 
Or both?

I'd like to see the end of the USSF and FIFA.  Both are structured such that neither is effective when it comes to working for the good of the game (but they are good at lining the pockets of those in positions of power). 

Cotton

• Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2019, 08:32:39 am »

Are you talking domestically or internationally? 
Or both?

I'd like to see the end of the USSF and FIFA.  Both are structured such that neither is effective when it comes to working for the good of the game (but they are good at lining the pockets of those in positions of power).
Ideally it would be both, unfortunately FIFA will never be defeated.  They're like the Catholic Church in terms of power and corruption.

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2019, 09:00:04 am »

Fortunately, you don't get to dictate any of it or what makes an American.  "Gasp!! A female said the F word and doesn't worship our president! Heavens to Betsy!"  Give me her America over yours.

Look my dislike for this team really got heated up when they were doing choreographed celebrations already up 7-0 to Thailand.  The. Rapino doing her thing.  Then not being able to open an article about it without seeing something about the LBGTWXYZ or whatever. 

If we really believe in all those freedoms letís look up the story about the lady that SHOULD have been on that team, but wasnít because her religious beliefs said she shouldnít be wearing the jerseys with the rainbow in the numbers.  What about her.

If you are a guy and you like guys thatís your business.  I donít care. If you are a chick that likes chicks.  Again your business.  I donít care.

Just once however I would like to turn on or read the news and not have the LBGXTYZ, shoved into my face.  I donít care about Rapino like or dislike of the sitting president.  I also donít give two rips about what the Kardashianís think about politics.

When you wear that USA Jersey you are representing our country as a whole.

Oliver

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2019, 06:46:34 pm »

Look my dislike for this team really got heated up when they were doing choreographed celebrations already up 7-0 to Thailand.  The. Rapino doing her thing.  Then not being able to open an article about it without seeing something about the LBGTWXYZ or whatever. 

If we really believe in all those freedoms letís look up the story about the lady that SHOULD have been on that team, but wasnít because her religious beliefs said she shouldnít be wearing the jerseys with the rainbow in the numbers.  What about her.

If you are a guy and you like guys thatís your business.  I donít care. If you are a chick that likes chicks.  Again your business.  I donít care.

Just once however I would like to turn on or read the news and not have the LBGXTYZ, shoved into my face.  I donít care about Rapino like or dislike of the sitting president.  I also donít give two rips about what the Kardashianís think about politics.

When you wear that USA Jersey you are representing our country as a whole.

Iím going to gloss over a lot of this post and just focus on the SHOULD have been on this team point. 

1.  If religions...all religions...stopped ostracizing certain groups of human beings and treated them all like human beings equally, they wouldnít have to worry about wearing any color uniforms.
2.  If wearing rainbow colored whatever was pandering to a specific religion, it probably wouldnít be allowed.  But not only does it not pander to a specific religion, many people with the same religion As that poor woman that should have made the team are fine with sporting rainbows for whatever reason.  Hence no religious discrimination is occurring.  That woman has two choices:  get over it or donít join the team.  She made her choice. 

• Come to the Dark Side
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2019, 10:50:01 pm »

Oh please.  I will say it how it is.  Itís team USA not team gay.  Why must a player have to wear a uniform with the gay pride rainbow on it to be a part of the team.

Thatís such crap. 

If there is ever a straight pride month and it has a Little logo will all the gay women be forced to wear it or not be allowed to play?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas