• 10,681,464 Posts
• 418,468 Topics
• 24,565 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Redbird Rundown XII  (Read 8978 times)

pigture perfect

Re: Redbird Rundown XII
« Reply #150 on: May 01, 2018, 10:58:39 pm »

We got one back tonight. Still way too sluggish on offense. If Ozuna keeps that one in front of him, we win 1-0. this team is starting to get to me again. I'm not blaming Matheny anymore for players that don't execute well. This team belongs to Mozeliak. ugh.

The Hogfather

« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2018, 09:24:23 am »

This team belongs to Mozeliak. ugh.

Ugh.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hoghappy

« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2018, 03:52:02 pm »

They won today and the Cubs lost.😎

jrulz83

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2018, 05:28:05 pm »

Mikolas vs Quintana tonight. Hoping Iím wrong, but Iím afraid Mikolas may get knocked around by the Cubs. The offense sure ainít doing nothing with Quintana, so Iím betting the Cubs win this opener.

hoghappy

« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2018, 07:12:13 pm »

Wong guy right time!!! Knocked out the Cubs in the 10th.  Love it.

pigture perfect

« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2018, 11:46:09 pm »

We took the series from the sCrubs. That is huge. Even this early in the season. I am concerned about Phamís health, but Bader seems to be everywhere.

jrulz83

« Reply #156 on: May 06, 2018, 09:12:57 am »

We took the series from the sCrubs. That is huge. Even this early in the season. I am concerned about Phamís health, but Bader seems to be everywhere.

Big series win. I want the sweep. Iím concerned about losing Molina though, he had surgery last night and is out at least a month is what I saw. Itís time for Carson Kelly or Andrew Knizner to step up.

McKdaddy

« Reply #157 on: May 06, 2018, 10:46:55 am »

Hated to hear that Yadi needed surgery.

McKdaddy

« Reply #158 on: May 06, 2018, 10:47:56 am »

Look forward to CK getting his shot.

jrulz83

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2018, 01:49:29 am »

clutch

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2018, 01:56:13 pm »

Just saw where Piscotty's mother died last night as a result of her ALS. Glad the Cardinals let him go so that he got to spend a little more time with her before he passing.

pigture perfect

« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2018, 03:26:41 pm »

Yeah, I know that he wasnít traded solely for that reason, but that was a classy move by the front office boys. Rip, Mrs. Piscotti.

pigture perfect

« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2018, 03:28:01 pm »

How happy am I that we swept the Cubs the way we did? It is off the charts.

jrulz83

« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2018, 03:43:13 pm »

Just saw where Piscotty's mother died last night as a result of her ALS. Glad the Cardinals let him go so that he got to spend a little more time with her before he passing.

Sad to hear. The Cardinals and Aís did right to get him home to be with his mother.

McKdaddy

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2018, 06:02:02 pm »

How happy am I that we swept the Cubs the way we did? It is off the charts.

absolutely

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Simba HOF 2019
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2018, 03:13:31 pm »

Hot-cold, hot-cold

Cards suddenly look cold again.

jrulz83

« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2018, 09:31:11 am »

We ought to start a pool, when will the offense heat up?  ;D

The good new is the Cardinals are winning without receiving even average contributions from a large portion of the offense. Imagine what the record would be if Fowler, Carpenter, and Ozuna were all at career norms right now. Hopefully the rubber band springs back to at least the median for all of them.

Weaver needs a good outing tonight in the worst way. The offense needs to take some pressure off of him by putting up some runs.

pigture perfect

« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2018, 01:13:20 pm »

Our pitching has been carrying us for sure. But how in the world do we manage only 6 hits against the twins? We have to beat these inferior teams too.

jrulz83

« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2018, 04:29:09 pm »

Our pitching has been carrying us for sure. But how in the world do we manage only 6 hits against the twins? We have to beat these inferior teams too.

Totally agree, that Twins set was inexcusable. Need to return the favor in Milwaukee next week. What I do like is the team is winning without hitting. That bodes well if youíre like me and optimistic about the offense. Tommy Pham and Jedd Gyorko are the only ones in the lineup that I have any confidence in doing anything positive at the plate right now.

pigture perfect

« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2018, 09:49:07 pm »

Well, Carp proves again that he is expendable until he learns how to beat the shift. Very aggravating to see us not trading him somewhere.

jrulz83

« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2018, 11:14:07 pm »

Well, Carp proves again that he is expendable until he learns how to beat the shift. Very aggravating to see us not trading him somewhere.

The way he looks right now I donít think anybody would want him.

jrulz83

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2018, 10:17:56 pm »

I feel like itís over for Wainwright. Heís been a great pitcher for the Cardinals, but I think itís time to move on.

McKdaddy

« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2018, 10:18:30 am »

The way he looks right now I donít think anybody would want him.

Anyone want Mabry?

jrulz83

« Reply #174 on: May 14, 2018, 10:49:59 am »

Anyone want Mabry?

Apparently Matheny does. Iím not happy with the offense, but what Iím seeing is players not executing. Ozuna showed some life in San Diego. Heís hitting the ball hard, itís just on the ground too much. I continue to think think that heís coming around. Wong has stirred too. Carpenter and Fowler look completely lost though.

One question, if we blame Mabry for the failures do we not applaud him for the successes? Pham, Gyorko, Martinez and Bader have all been pretty good. Mabry get an ounce of credit?

To me the bottom line is this, hitting coaches are overrated. Players have to execute.

McKdaddy

« Reply #175 on: May 14, 2018, 07:15:45 pm »

Apparently Matheny does. Iím not happy with the offense, but what Iím seeing is players not executing. Ozuna showed some life in San Diego. Heís hitting the ball hard, itís just on the ground too much. I continue to think think that heís coming around. Wong has stirred too. Carpenter and Fowler look completely lost though.

One question, if we blame Mabry for the failures do we not applaud him for the successes? Pham, Gyorko, Martinez and Bader have all been pretty good. Mabry get an ounce of credit?

To me the bottom line is this, hitting coaches are overrated. Players have to execute.

Nope, no credit. Stop being rational.  >:(

I gave Mabry a lot of credit for that season a few years back where the hitters were tearing up some crazy stats (I canít remember the year or the stats, maybe OBP or RISP, etc). I donít expect those results again, obviously, and Mabry got full praise.

He gets credit for the good batters as well. Letís see where Pham & Martinez end up over the next couple of years. Itís more likely they fall off, just as it is likely Ozuna picks it up.
It happens in baseball.

Too many have been dissatisfied w/ the Cards O the last few years, to a point where even the media (admittedly, only lightly) has begun to question Mathenyís loyalty to Mabry. At some point Matheny might make a change. Until then Mabry will continue to keep the naked pics of Mikeís wife handy, or whatever heís holding over him.

jrulz83

« Reply #176 on: May 14, 2018, 08:40:45 pm »

Nope, no credit. Stop being rational.  >:(

I gave Mabry a lot of credit for that season a few years back where the hitters were tearing up some crazy stats (I canít remember the year or the stats, maybe OBP or RISP, etc). I donít expect those results again, obviously, and Mabry got full praise.

He gets credit for the good batters as well. Letís see where Pham & Martinez end up over the next couple of years. Itís more likely they fall off, just as it is likely Ozuna picks it up.
It happens in baseball.

Too many have been dissatisfied w/ the Cards O the last few years, to a point where even the media (admittedly, only lightly) has begun to question Mathenyís loyalty to Mabry. At some point Matheny might make a change. Until then Mabry will continue to keep the naked pics of Mikeís wife handy, or whatever heís holding over him.

Thereís one thing I doubt and itís Matheny making a change. The changes to the coaching staff last offseason were front office initiated and thatís what will happen anytime thereís need for change. At least it appears that way to me anyway.

Itís clear to me that Oquendo makes a huge difference on (among other things) the infield defense. Wong is arguably a top three defender at 2b and I think itís attributable to Oquendoís presence. Oquendo wasnít a Matheny instituted change. My understanding is that Oquendo had to have assuarances from the front office that heíd be left alone by Matheny. Thatís probably a simplistic way to term it, but Iím a simplistic man with simplistic understandings, so excuse my naÔvetť.

Matheny has a reputation for playing favorites and itís well earned, but the front office isnít afraid to tell him what to do if it comes to it. Thatís how it seems to me anyway. 

McKdaddy

« Reply #177 on: May 14, 2018, 09:17:23 pm »

Thereís one thing I doubt and itís Matheny making a change. The changes to the coaching staff last offseason were front office initiated and thatís what will happen anytime thereís need for change. At least it appears that way to me anyway.

Itís clear to me that Oquendo makes a huge difference on (among other things) the infield defense. Wong is arguably a top three defender at 2b and I think itís attributable to Oquendoís presence. Oquendo wasnít a Matheny instituted change. My understanding is that Oquendo had to have assuarances from the front office that heíd be left alone by Matheny. Thatís probably a simplistic way to term it, but Iím a simplistic man with simplistic understandings, so excuse my naÔvetť.

Matheny has a reputation for playing favorites and itís well earned, but the front office isnít afraid to tell him what to do if it comes to it. Thatís how it seems to me anyway. 

I like your thinking.

pigture perfect

« Reply #178 on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:03 pm »

Newsflash!!! Twins have an All-Star pitching staff! Or the Cards offense sux. Iíll let you decide.

McKdaddy

« Reply #179 on: May 15, 2018, 10:15:02 pm »

We know who I blame.

pigture perfect

« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2018, 10:19:08 pm »

Brett Cecil again? Then this offense. 8 total hits, 2 runs in 3 games. This smells of a team that is lost, except we swept the Cubs, then we struggle against the Papaís and the Dual Offspring.

McKdaddy

« Reply #181 on: May 15, 2018, 10:22:27 pm »

Hot-cold, hot-cold

Cards suddenly look cold again.

^^^^^

jrulz83

« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2018, 01:31:27 pm »

This team is a lot like last year. Every time they get a big win I think thatís it, this is the one that they reel off a string of wins from and then they face plant.

At some point Carpenter and Fowler have to start hitting. I think Iíd rather see Tyler OíNeill hacking than either of them flailing. I think they (Carpenter and Fowler) both have been ruined, in the short term anyway, by searching for power. I tend to think there will be a corner turn at some point for both of them, but maybe not.

I know one thing, the rising strikeout total across MLB is making it an increasingly boring game to watch. That is attributable to pitchers throwing harder and hitters selling out for the homerun. Something needs to change.

pigture perfect

« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:30 pm »

Iím hoping that the Cards are buyers in the upcoming trading season.

McKdaddy

« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2018, 09:12:46 pm »

This team is a lot like last year. Every time they get a big win I think thatís it, this is the one that they reel off a string of wins from and then they face plant.

Yes, ugh.

jrulz83

« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2018, 02:13:19 pm »

Iím hoping that the Cards are buyers in the upcoming trading season.

They will be, and everybody in here will be underwhelmed with what they acquire. Iíll be one of the few saying letís wait and see. I think we can all agree that there isnít a lot to fix on a team thatís on pace to win 94 games. Maybe a left handed power threat, some bullpen help, maybe clone Norris? Is that legal yet? :)

I think Fowler and Carpenter are coming around and Ozuna should be fine, he just has to get the ball off the ground more. Iím almost like Larussa was about 2006 Molina on Wong. If he keeps playing defense like he has, I donít care if he gets another hit all year. Iím not there yet because 2b isnít a premium defensive position, but Iím close.

I donít really see a place that needs much upgrading. The Cardinals have the same problem they have every season, thereís no glaring needs. Thereís some marginal upgrades that could be made, but I think we all know what Mozeliak and Girsch will feel about the cost of marginal upgrades.

Two things I do think itís time to do is put Bowman on the Memphis shuttle and approach Holland about some time in AAA to get right. Neither of them have been good, but Matheny canít manage without Bowman as a security blanket and Holland probably wonít accept a Memphis assignment. So thatís all moot anyway probably.

pigture perfect

« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2018, 02:40:07 pm »

Wow! Carson Kelly to the 10 day DL and Waino to the 60. We are dropping like flyís around here. Iím hoping Reyes gets a call soon. How soon before Yadi gets back? Yikes.

pigture perfect

« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2018, 02:42:34 pm »

They will be, and everybody in here will be underwhelmed with what they acquire. Iíll be one of the few saying letís wait and see. I think we can all agree that there isnít a lot to fix on a team thatís on pace to win 94 games. Maybe a left handed power threat, some bullpen help, maybe clone Norris? Is that legal yet? :)

I think Fowler and Carpenter are coming around and Ozuna should be fine, he just has to get the ball off the ground more. Iím almost like Larussa was about 2006 Molina on Wong. If he keeps playing defense like he has, I donít care if he gets another hit all year. Iím not there yet because 2b isnít a premium defensive position, but Iím close.

I donít really see a place that needs much upgrading. The Cardinals have the same problem they have every season, thereís no glaring needs. Thereís some marginal upgrades that could be made, but I think we all know what Mozeliak and Girsch will feel about the cost of marginal upgrades.

Two things I do think itís time to do is put Bowman on the Memphis shuttle and approach Holland about some time in AAA to get right. Neither of them have been good, but Matheny canít manage without Bowman as a security blanket and Holland probably wonít accept a Memphis assignment. So thatís all moot anyway probably.
I agree. We need some more help in the pen. My biggest frustration I guess is with Carp not being able to figure out the shift and our high dollar arms of Holland and Cecil just not being consistent.

jrulz83

« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2018, 03:39:03 pm »

I agree. We need some more help in the pen. My biggest frustration I guess is with Carp not being able to figure out the shift and our high dollar arms of Holland and Cecil just not being consistent.

Carpenter looked really good yesterday hitting 7th. Itíll be interesting to see if he settles in batting down there and makes his way back up in the order. Fingers crossed.

Yeah it looks increasingly like Holland is a bust, he canít throw anything for a strike. When he does throw a strike itís really, really fat. He could turn it around though, heís had some good outings. But as you said, consistency has been lacking. I still hope that they just rushed him and heís getting through issues that if it were Spring Training would have gone unnoticed.

Cecil has a better looking curve than heís ever had as a Cardinal, so Iím feeling better about him than Holland.

pigture perfect

« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2018, 05:55:53 pm »

How about a new meaning to Cardinal Care at Cardinal Glennon Hospital!
DeJong and Bowman are todayís entry to the DL. 10 day stint for both. Bowman is retroactive to Wednesday I think. Blisters. DeJong broken left hand.

jrulz83

« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2018, 08:48:21 pm »

How about a new meaning to Cardinal Care at Cardinal Glennon Hospital!
DeJong and Bowman are todayís entry to the DL. 10 day stint for both. Bowman is retroactive to Wednesday I think. Blisters. DeJong broken left hand.

Losing Dejong is going to be tough, with surgery and a plate going in heís going to be out for a while. Heís really the only shortstop the Cardinals have. Nothing against them, but if they try to tread water with Gyorko, Garcia, and Munoz there I think weíre going to see a disappointing season.

I wouldnít be surprised to see a trade coming. Never happen, but Girsch and Mozeliak need to talk about Machado if they can keep from giving the farm away.

jrulz83

« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2018, 04:45:19 pm »

Hicks. Throws. Hard. Fastest five pitches of the year across all of MLB.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23556933/jordan-hicks-st-louis-cardinals-throws-two-105-mph-pitches

I just wish he knew where it was going a little bit more. Still, I do enjoy the smoke.

McKdaddy

« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2018, 04:50:48 pm »

Hicks. Throws. Hard. Fastest five pitches of the year across all of MLB.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23556933/jordan-hicks-st-louis-cardinals-throws-two-105-mph-pitches

I just wish he knew where it was going a little bit more. Still, I do enjoy the smoke.

He caught a dumpster-load of press yesterday for those speedballs, ha.

jrulz83

« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2018, 06:27:45 pm »

He caught a dumpster-load of press yesterday for those speedballs, ha.

Yeah he did. Imagine if he was a Boston or NY player. Never hear the end of it.

popcornhog

« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2018, 09:21:27 am »

Reyes looks to be back next week in a starting role.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23569925/st-louis-cardinals-alex-reyes-start-return-next-week

Cardinals pitching prospect Alex Reyes will return to the majors as a starter and could rejoin St. Louis' rotation as early as next week.

Reyes, 23, has been dominant in three minor league starts this month and is eligible to return from the 60-day disabled list next Monday. Cardinals general manager Michael Girsch told reporters Monday that Reyes could start next Tuesday against the rival Milwaukee Brewers.

"We expect him to be in the rotation," Girsch said, according to MLB.com.

Reyes, who missed all of last season after undergoing Tommy John surgery, was outstanding in his latest minor league rehab start Saturday, when he had 13 strikeouts over 7 2/3 scoreless innings at Double-A Springfield. He has not allowed a run in his three minor league starts this year, striking out 31 over 16 innings.

jrulz83

« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2018, 11:19:07 am »

Well, Fowler got dinged on the knee. Isnít it a good time to DL him and let him work on his swing? A nice little rehab in AAA or such might jump start him.

As an aside I donít understand why the Cardinals are constantly playing with a limited roster. So today Fowler is out, down to 24. Iím sure thereís a reliever thatís untouchable, 23. Also, Matheny has his break glass reliever, down to 22.

I get it on Fowler, they probably couldnít get a move done and a player in Pittsburgh in time for today. But with the Mathenaging of the roster it becomes a problem. Itís pretty ridiculous. The good news is Holland wonít blow a lead today.

hoghappy

« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2018, 03:54:12 pm »

Damn relievers! I would rather lose with low paid Brebbia or Tuivailala than with overpriced Holland and Cecil.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas