• 10,674,524 Posts
• 418,292 Topics
• 24,543 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Redbird Rundown XII  (Read 8959 times)

pigture perfect

Re: Redbird Rundown XII
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »

I think I would have to agree HH. I have not been thrilled with Cecil since we got him. I donít know what his trouble is.

jrulz83

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2018, 12:24:27 pm »

Watching Reyes pitch on The Facebook. Kind of like the games on Facebook. No commercials, kind of novel.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

pigture perfect

« Reply #202 on: June 01, 2018, 08:04:44 am »

Reyes back on the List something to do with the Lats. Pretty significant evidently.

jrulz83

« Reply #203 on: June 01, 2018, 10:06:08 am »

Reyes back on the List something to do with the Lats. Pretty significant evidently.

Lat strains generally are significant. C-Mart has been down (what?) a month with a minor one. Hate it for Reyes. I read that heís petty dejected, who wouldnít be? Maybe he can be there for the stretch run, but canít count on him. Further illustrates the point that you canít ever have enough pitching.

The good news is Carpenter and Fowler have stirred a little with the bats. The bad news is Pham is scuffling, hope itís not his eyes. That game last night was a lot of fun, at the end anyway.

The Cardinals have to figure out the bullpen problems. Somebody has to step up and be the 8th inning guy. I think itíll get better when Bowman is back. Maybe the 8th inning guy is (dare I say it) Holland if he returns healthy and effective.

pigture perfect

« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2018, 09:26:00 pm »

Gomber looked really good. Another walk off for Wong. I really wish for more consistency from these guys.

ghostzapper

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2018, 03:22:36 pm »

Wacha with a no-no thru 8

jrulz83

« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2018, 03:24:20 pm »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Blamed for jinxing it if he gives up a dribbler.

jrulz83

« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2018, 07:29:56 pm »

Great game by Wacha, heís arguably been the best pitcher the Cardinals have. 8+ one hit baseball was a thing of beauty. Ozuna lashing a Grand Slam was another one, hope we see that about 35 more times.Yadi and C-Mart come back on Tuesday and the schedule softens a bit for a little while. Time to pile up some wins.

McKdaddy

« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2018, 07:37:40 pm »

pigture perfect

« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2018, 09:56:09 pm »

Wacha just got Zapped looks like.

jrulz83

« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2018, 07:40:48 am »

What is wrong with this team? They have gotten destroyed by the Marlins in this series. Itís not just beaten, theyíve been embarrassed. This was a prime time to pick up wins and yet here we are again left to wonder about boneheaded baserunning, a rash of errors, mystifying managerial decisions, and overall repugnant play of the game. Itís disgusting.

McKdaddy

« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2018, 09:54:55 am »

What is wrong with this team? They have gotten destroyed by the Marlins in this series. It’s not just beaten, they’ve been embarrassed. This was a prime time to pick up wins and yet here we are again left to wonder about boneheaded baserunning, a rash of errors, mystifying managerial decisions, and overall repugnant play of the game. It’s disgusting.

Drain the swamp

jrulz83

« Reply #212 on: June 07, 2018, 08:07:05 pm »

pigture perfect

« Reply #213 on: June 07, 2018, 08:43:20 pm »

Frustrating. Even the win this afternoon did little to heal the embarrassment of losing a series to the Marlins at home.

McKdaddy

« Reply #214 on: June 18, 2018, 09:51:24 pm »

At least Holland will be back on Tuesday.  :P

jrulz83

« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2018, 08:56:27 am »

At least Holland will be back on Tuesday.  :P

The shatshow continues.

Cecil is useless.

Holland will be useless.

Thereís basically 2 relievers that can get outs.

Fowler is statistically the worst hitter in all of MLB. Kolten Wong has to be close to the bottom. Molina was out. Pham has scuffled of late and the starting pitching has frayed a bit.

In spite of all of that, they are still in striking distance at 4 games out. Theyíre going to do just enough to cause Mozeliak and Co to trade for relief help and a subpar veteran bat. And they will miss the playoffs yet again.

McKdaddy

« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2018, 09:21:45 am »

Anyone else subscribe to The Athletic?  Really compelling, rationale articles on the Cards the last 3 days by Bernie and Ken Rosenthal.

McKdaddy

« Reply #217 on: June 19, 2018, 09:36:33 am »

1 of the 3 articles was "Friendship with Matheny aside, Cardinals need to consider firing hitting coach John Mabry" article by Bernie.....and if you've read Bernie over the years when he was w/ the SPD, you know he doesn't do "fire him" columns.  I realize this article supports my 2-year old rant that Matheny's fishing buddy should be let go, but my rants are just that.  They are to be dismissed as being from a win-now fanatic that does not take himself too seriously.  But when Bernie mentions it.....well, we've entered rare air and my diatribes are less imaginative.  Or not.

McKdaddy

« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2018, 09:47:52 pm »

Solid 7th by Holland...too soon to celebrate.

jrulz83

« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:47 am »

Solid 7th by Holland...too soon to celebrate.

It was encouraging, but not getting my hopes up. They discussed on the broadcast him getting the eighth too. Iím glad he didnít, he needed a positive outing to go out on. Now he has to build on it.

pigture perfect

« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2018, 12:30:24 pm »

Just not much good today right now. Just not playing good ball. ehhh!

McKdaddy

« Reply #221 on: July 13, 2018, 08:46:56 am »

Bernie has guns a-blazing on Matheny on The Athletic today.  So uncharacteristic of Bernie to call for one's head.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:16:35 am by McKdaddy »

McKdaddy

« Reply #222 on: July 13, 2018, 10:33:16 pm »

Fire the fishing buddies.

McKdaddy

« Reply #223 on: July 13, 2018, 10:34:17 pm »

Per Goold....

With a loss this evening #stlcards will be closer in the standings to the last-place #Reds than they are to the first-place #Brewers, and that includes the Brewers loss tonight to the fourth-place #Pirates.

Records without head to head are even more telling.
STL 38-43
CIN 40-43

McKdaddy

« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2018, 12:27:53 pm »

Mathenyís excuses from last nightís post-game presser have gotten so tiresome. I realize Iíve beaten this drum for his head for 2+ years now and yíall are probably tired of hearing me.

McKdaddy

« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2018, 10:16:10 pm »

Per Cards twitter acct, the witch is dead.

McKdaddy

« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2018, 10:18:59 pm »

Fishing buddy, Mabry, also dismissed, as well as the asst hitting coach, Bill Mueller.

VictoryRedChevy

« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2018, 07:09:06 am »

Early rumor of Joe Girardi.

McKdaddy

« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2018, 09:35:32 am »

The cub canít be any worse, no?

popcornhog

« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:19 am »

Itíll be interesting to see what direction they go next year.

I donít expect a move until the offseason though.

RaisinHog

« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2018, 10:00:31 am »

I wish we could get a proven manager that has won tittles ...

McKdaddy

« Reply #231 on: July 15, 2018, 10:11:49 am »

I wish we could get a proven manager that has won tittles ...

That was my issue from the beginning w/ Mikeís hiring. Not just a lack of titles, but he had not been a manager at any level of ball. This blew me away.

His making the playoffs 2012-2015 made me look like a fool on here for my continued criticisms of him, but his continuing to make the same mistakes during that 4-year run ó not to mention in the following non playoff years ó was something I had trouble overlooking.

McKdaddy

« Reply #232 on: July 15, 2018, 10:17:12 am »

From Bernie this morning....

ďMathenyís firing wasnít nearly as stunning as his hiring before the 2012 season. To replace future Hall of Famer Tony La Russa ó 5,097 MLB games managed, 2,728 career victories ó Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt Jr. and GM John Mozeliak went with Matheny, who had never managed or coached a single game at the professional level.

The inexperienced Matheny was 41 years old, and taking over for La Russa, the legend who had won 1,408 games, three pennants and two World Series for the Cardinals. In handing one of baseballís most prestigious managing jobs over to a novice ó and preferring Matheny over Terry Francona, who was interviewed ó the  Cardinals were willing to make a risky investment in Mathenyís potential.Ē

https://theathletic.com/432508/2018/07/15/miklasz-in-the-end-mike-matheny-simply-never-delivered-on-the-promises-that-led-to-his-hiring-in-the-first-place/

RaisinHog

« Reply #233 on: July 15, 2018, 12:25:51 pm »

But I also put just as much blame on dwitt and Mo until they get us a super star it's gona be hard too win.. average players equal average results

McKdaddy

« Reply #234 on: July 15, 2018, 04:34:35 pm »

But I also put just as much blame on dwitt and Mo until they get us a super star it's gona be hard too win.. average players equal average results

They are receiving their fair share.

pigture perfect

« Reply #235 on: July 16, 2018, 12:12:16 am »

Please let Mo be next. He is the HDN of MLB. And I donít make that statement lightly. I absolutely detest him.

jrulz83

« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2018, 04:05:50 pm »

Kind of surprised the Cardinals did it. Not because Matheny didnít need to go, he absolutely did need to go. Iím surprised because itís not the way the Cardinals have done business. Firing a manager mid season isnít their typical play. Itís going to be an interesting 2 weeks before the trade deadline to see which way the Cardinals go.

pigture perfect

« Reply #237 on: July 24, 2018, 11:35:36 pm »

How about our 2 rookies that have made it to the 7th innings of back to back games with no-hit ball. Iím trying to be positive, but it sure is hard to do hen your team doesnít give you good run support.

Nickle-Pig

« Reply #238 on: July 25, 2018, 11:00:10 am »

How about our 2 rookies that have made it to the 7th innings of back to back games with no-hit ball. Iím trying to be positive, but it sure is hard to do hen your team doesnít give you good run support.

a dubious record 14 no hit innings and two losses
both those young men deserve a better team

pigture perfect

« Reply #239 on: July 25, 2018, 11:27:34 pm »

a dubious record 14 no hit innings and two losses
both those young men deserve a better team
we didnít lose yesterday when Gomber pitched.

jst01

« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2018, 10:06:44 am »

It’s going to be an interesting 2 weeks before the trade deadline to see which way the Cardinals go.

This weekend should put the Cards below the .500 line, where I think they will stay for the rest of the year.  Only exciting thing to come will be coaching hire and which players get dealt.

McKdaddy

« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2018, 12:36:26 pm »

I've got the Cards at 84 wins this year, which is below most "expert" picks of 85-87 wins.

I was perhaps optimistic to start the season.

pigture perfect

« Reply #242 on: July 27, 2018, 11:24:57 am »

I thought we would be good enough to finish 2nd in the Central and even get o e of those wildcards. Injuries have really hurt our chances to do anything. Our Top 3 starters are on the DL and our bullpen needs to be blown up. Iím currently looking for deals where we can trade Fowler and Mozeliak. Do you know anyone in the business that would take those 2 off of our hands?

McKdaddy

« Reply #243 on: July 27, 2018, 12:17:12 pm »

I thought we would be good enough to finish 2nd in the Central and even get o e of those wildcards. Injuries have really hurt our chances to do anything. Our Top 3 starters are on the DL and our bullpen needs to be blown up. Iím currently looking for deals where we can trade Fowler and Mozeliak. Do you know anyone in the business that would take those 2 off of our hands?

It'd be Xmas in July for someone to take Fowler's contract off our hands.

pigture perfect

« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2018, 03:00:22 pm »

Sam Tuivalalla traded to Mariners for a minor league pitcher.  And Holland was optioned.looks like we are selling this year.

McKdaddy

« Reply #245 on: July 27, 2018, 09:06:08 pm »

Right moves to build towards 2019.

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2018, 10:32:32 am »

Just traded Tommy Pham.

"The Rays also received international slot money from the Cardinals, who acquired minor leaguers Justin Williams, Genesis Cabrera and Roel Ramirez, according to the Tampa Bay Times."

McKdaddy

« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2018, 12:23:02 pm »

Always an interesting day in baseball.

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2018, 01:18:48 pm »

didn't see the Pham move coming. There was more talk about them moving Jose Martinez which may still happen. Glad to see they DFA'd Cecil and Holland. Those two were aweful.

Not exactly sure how the money works in all this. Does this look like they are planning a big trade deadline move? or freeing up space for offseason free agent moves? Or worse case, stocking up the minors and planning to grow from within?

It seems like their offseason moves have been blowing up in their faces. The draft and minor league development seems to be the area they do well.

WMHawgfan

• Left Lane Hammer Down!
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2018, 01:18:54 pm »

didn't see the Pham move coming. There was more talk about them moving Jose Martinez which may still happen. Glad to see they DFA'd Cecil and Holland. Those two were aweful.

Not exactly sure how the money works in all this. Does this look like they are planning a big trade deadline move? or freeing up space for offseason free agent moves? Or worse case, stocking up the minors and planning to grow from within?

It seems like their offseason moves have been blowing up in their faces. The draft and minor league development seems to be the area they do well.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas