• 10,328,367 Posts
• 408,894 Topics
• 23,358 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is GE a bargain yet?  (Read 4120 times)

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
Re: Is GE a bargain yet?
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2018, 09:30:14 pm »

Fresh 52 wk low today at $12.32 and managed to close just above at $12.35.  Put contracts have picked up as well, particularly with one bear buying up 75k contracts at $.225, expiring in 66 days.  340ish percent upside potential to this trade. I could be wrong but I suspect this is an insurance play by either a previous call buyer or a decent sized shareholder that is tired of seeing growing losses.

Might see a little bounce of the new low in the short run but I think this thing sniffs $11 as part of bottom finding before anything remotely resembling resistance sniffing in the $14s. Of course, this is all assuming no news breaks. Still too hard to find a reason to invest and my discipline prevents me from trying to trade this thing a third time right here. I might jump back in below $12. Iím curious to see if takeover rumors creep up the lower this thing goes...

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2018, 11:49:52 am »

Somewhat surprising to see that Flannery was replaced with Larry Culp today, at least in the way it was executed.  Flannery really inherited a shart sandwich and Culp isn't exactly walking into a much better situation, especially with the power division issues. This move really gives off the aroma of the board saying enough of the slow bleed, for the love of the world, let's get all the crap on the table right now so we can finally move forward instead of continuing to chase bad news.

While the stock is getting a pop today based mainly on hope, I have to think capital redeployment/guidance restatement/dividend slashing are on the table heading into/coming out of the 10/25 earnings call. I don't think this thing bottoms until it's under $10 given the realization that EPS will likely underachieve $1. I suppose the "good news" might be a takeover bid but given the balance sheet, what's the takeover price?  $11-$12/share feels about right, lol.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2018, 07:21:21 pm »

After revisiting GE, especially looking at the call options trends after the CEO change, I may have been too bearish on GE. The trading sentiment looks good going into earnings on 10/25 and further out.

I donít believe the dividend is safe. I do believe there is more upside days ahead than down, though itís still a stock needing patience. My thesis is that the $11.29ish 52 wk low was the final shakeout of large institutional exit strategies and the shift into value could have legs for a stock like GE.

If I was targeting owning say 100 shares of GE, Iíd buy 25 here and the rest on weakness, below your cost basis, preferably below $13. If it doesnít break below $13 or your basis in this scenario, itís a nice problem to have.

The fundamentals are still messy but I think peak negativity was already priced in at the 52 wk low. Itís not a pound the table buy. I think itís bottomed though and worth gambling on with LONG intentions and within the speculative portion of your funds. The new CEO will need to provide compellingly details to warrant pound the table buy rating as there are better fundamentals in this space.

My 12 month, rough (missing the new CEOís strategy) price target is $15.25, which is around 15% upside from here.

Like anything else, invest at your discretion.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 10:40:29 am »

Somewhat surprising to see that Flannery was replaced with Larry Culp today, at least in the way it was executed.  Flannery really inherited a shart sandwich and Culp isn't exactly walking into a much better situation, especially with the power division issues. This move really gives off the aroma of the board saying enough of the slow bleed, for the love of the world, let's get all the crap on the table right now so we can finally move forward instead of continuing to chase bad news.

While the stock is getting a pop today based mainly on hope, I have to think capital redeployment/guidance restatement/dividend slashing are on the table heading into/coming out of the 10/25 earnings call. I don't think this thing bottoms until it's under $10 given the realization that EPS will likely underachieve $1. I suppose the "good news" might be a takeover bid but given the balance sheet, what's the takeover price?  $11-$12/share feels about right, lol.

This first read, as it turns out, appears to be the much more accurate read.

After revisiting GE, especially looking at the call options trends after the CEO change, I may have been too bearish on GE. The trading sentiment looks good going into earnings on 10/25 and further out.

I donít believe the dividend is safe. I do believe there is more upside days ahead than down, though itís still a stock needing patience. My thesis is that the $11.29ish 52 wk low was the final shakeout of large institutional exit strategies and the shift into value could have legs for a stock like GE.

If I was targeting owning say 100 shares of GE, Iíd buy 25 here and the rest on weakness, below your cost basis, preferably below $13. If it doesnít break below $13 or your basis in this scenario, itís a nice problem to have.

The fundamentals are still messy but I think peak negativity was already priced in at the 52 wk low. Itís not a pound the table buy. I think itís bottomed though and worth gambling on with LONG intentions and within the speculative portion of your funds. The new CEO will need to provide compellingly details to warrant pound the table buy rating as there are better fundamentals in this space.

My 12 month, rough (missing the new CEOís strategy) price target is $15.25, which is around 15% upside from here.

Like anything else, invest at your discretion.

Now this read, was simply atrocious from trying to out think the room and getting too technical vs staying with the fundamentals. 

JPM price target for GE is now $6.  Simply amazing and none of that in a good way.

BENTON PIGGEE

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 11:26:57 am »

Yes, and it's getting bargainier.   :-[

BENTON PIGGEE

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2018, 08:33:56 am »

GE CEO's interview on CNBC this am wasn't very positive. He sounded like a coach describing a "rebuilding" process.

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, Hey!? Whereís my hammer?
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2018, 09:44:26 am »

Yeah, Jim Cramer wasn't impressed by that at all.

BENTON PIGGEE

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2018, 11:18:04 am »

Their customer service is terrible. Bought a washer/dryer combo in July, it broke in September, and their warranty contractor is still waiting on the part. No wonder their stock is below $8.

ricepig

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2018, 11:47:29 am »

Their customer service is terrible. Bought a washer/dryer combo in July, it broke in September, and their warranty contractor is still waiting on the part. No wonder their stock is below $8.

Damn, your clothes are starting to pile up, I imagine.

BENTON PIGGEE

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2018, 10:24:26 pm »

Damn, your clothes are starting to pile up, I imagine.
Nah, it's at a vacation condo.

AFWarrior83

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2018, 02:03:11 pm »

Hoping to buy in at $7.40 per share. I donít think the stock can go much lower than it has already dropped. Fingers crossed.

Pat Goss

• Hogvillian
  • СДЕЛАТЬ АМЕРИКИ БОЛЬШОЙ СНОВА
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2018, 09:49:10 am »

Of course the company has already been dropped from the DJIA. It was one of the original companies in the DOW 30 in the 1880s and had been on it since 1910. Obama's jobs czar did to GE what Obola was hoping to do to the US. My friend's cousin's wife worked there and said there was sign where they clocked in every day that read. "There is nothing exceptional about GE" so now you know why Barry "There is nothing exceptional about America" Obama would gladly hire Immelt, the other ass who along with Obama giggled that they didn't find any shovel ready jobs after giving away 800 billion dollars. Ken Langone, founder of Home Depot, said GE was at junk bond status.

Pat Goss

• Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2018, 12:44:03 pm »

The Wall Street Journal
In GE probe, ex-staffers say insurance risks were ignored
Published: Nov 30, 2018 9:40 a.m. ET
Former GE employees tell SEC the company failed to acknowledge worsening results in insurance business

Federal investigators are questioning former employees of General Electric Co. about intricate details in a legacy insurance business that led to accounting problems at the conglomerate in the past year.

The insurance business failed to internally acknowledge worsening results over the years, according to several former GE  employees who said they have been interviewed by government lawyers. They described in interviews for this article examples of what they call lax managerial oversight and buried risks that ultimately kept the company from booking bigger reserves.

The investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission started, the company said, after GE earlier this year disclosed that a shortfall in those reserves for long-term-care policies would require more than $15 billion in funding. That surprise was part of a series of problems that have pushed GE shares to their lowest levels in years and prompted GE to decide to break itself apart and oust its chief executive.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/in-ge-probe-ex-staffers-say-insurance-risks-were-ignored-2018-11-30-91034044

It's probably not a buying opportunity yet

HawgWild

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2018, 02:22:40 pm »

Hoping to buy in at $7.40 per share. I donít think the stock can go much lower than it has already dropped. Fingers crossed.

I had similar thoughts about Lucent back in the late 1990ís. It was the most widely held stock at the time. Look around and see if you can find it today.

ricepig

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2018, 03:27:21 pm »

I had similar thoughts about Lucent back in the late 1990ís. It was the most widely held stock at the time. Look around and see if you can find it today.

Lol, almost ended up with a train load of sugar one time with the "it can't go any lower" thoughts. It can go to $0.00, or close enough!

HawgWild

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2018, 03:32:48 pm »

Two years of contributions to my Traditional IRA vanished. Same thing happened to SD. Only good thing about my SandRidge investment is that I can deduct that from my taxes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:20:03 pm by HawgWild »

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2018, 06:40:33 pm »

My advice on GE at this point is, let it find footing before buying. Yes, youíll likely pay a premium from current levels but Iíd rather pay for a better fundamental story later than invest in hope now.

AFWarrior83

« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2018, 12:40:21 pm »

My advice on GE at this point is, let it find footing before buying. Yes, youíll likely pay a premium from current levels but Iíd rather pay for a better fundamental story later than invest in hope now.

Too late. Locked in $1K @ $7.40 per share. If GE goes belly up Iím out a grand but if it makes a decent comeback Iíll double my money. Itís a crap shot but thatís how the game is played. I just donít see GE failing but thatís art of investing.

Pat Goss

• Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2018, 02:21:49 am »

GE's stock fails to hold another lead, heads for 20th decline in 23 sessions. General Electric Co.'s stock keeps falling to fresh 9 1/2-year lows, as Monday's attempt at a bounce was abandoned

Performance
5 Day  -5.94%

1 Month    -20.87%

3 Month    -42.04%

YTD       -58.28%

1 Year    -58.78%

Pat Goss

• Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2018, 12:59:42 pm »

General Electric: More Turbine Woes Could Be The Tipping Point
Dec. 10, 2018 12:21 PM ET

Summary

Market chatter suggests certain of GE's newest gas turbines are being shut down for repair.

Moody's recently downgraded GE's debt. Moody's cited the impact of Power's deteriorating performance on GE's cash flows.

If Power deteriorates again in Q4 it could be the tipping point for another ratings downgrade.

Sell GE.

General Electric (GE) touched another 52-week low last week amid declining revenue, waning cash flows and a $115 billion debt load. Market chatter now suggests 18 of its newest gas turbines are being shut down for repair:

More power problems? Utilities are shutting down at least 18 of General Electric's newest gas turbines for repairs at power facilities from Taiwan to France, according to interviews with plant operators and industry experts.

GE is setting aside $480M to repair its 9HA, 7HA and 9FB models, but has declined to say how many have been shut down, or when it would replace parts - if needed - in as many as 130 such turbines it has produced.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4227446-general-electric-turbine-woes-tipping-point

Pat Goss

• Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2019, 11:32:56 pm »

Too late. Locked in $1K @ $7.40 per share. If GE goes belly up Iím out a grand but if it makes a decent comeback Iíll double my money. Itís a crap shot but thatís how the game is played. I just donít see GE failing but thatís art of investing.
it hit 8.18 today at noon, hope you sold

aristotle

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2019, 02:56:03 pm »

Bought GE at upper 6 handle. Plan on writing covered calls if it gets above $10/share.

Pat Goss

• Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2019, 02:00:18 pm »

General Electric Co
GE as of Mar 14 2:41 PM ET
10.32 0.30 2.99%
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas