• 10,328,401 Posts
• 408,895 Topics
• 23,358 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My thoughts on commits highlights  (Read 10039 times)

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
Re: My thoughts on commits highlights
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2019, 02:43:17 pm »

Most of those guys are gone.. AJB transferred, as did Enlow, Hall. Malone didnít do anything and ended his career after an injury last year, Hobbs also gave up football. Paul Ramirez was not good. Edwards will play a lot more LB this year, as will LaFrance if he can stay healthy. Smith was a bad take. Terrible class overall if weíre being honest. Produced a 5*, but havenít gotten 5* results from him

We've gotten 5* results from Harris for sure. Agim has done a lot more than people think. He doesn't show up on the box score as much, but opposing offenses have to game plan for him.

It's definitely been a class that hasn't lived up to it's potential. Reminds me a lot of the 2011 class from Petrino.

Seebs

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2019, 07:01:15 am »

Digging up your old posts is not the most Narcissistic thing I have seen, but  Henry the VIII said 'Dang'.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:00:11 am by Seebs »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

presidenthog

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2019, 08:27:41 am »

Micah Smith as a 120 tackle guy. Lol.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2019, 09:18:04 am »

We've gotten 5* results from Harris for sure. Agim has done a lot more than people think. He doesn't show up on the box score as much, but opposing offenses have to game plan for him.

It's definitely been a class that hasn't lived up to it's potential. Reminds me a lot of the 2011 class from Petrino.

Yes, Harris has been a stud. And I agree Sosa does a lot, but still not 5* production. Also forgot to mention Heinrich retired due to injuries, as did Boateng, as did Hays. That's absolutely incredible how unprepared the last staff was and how often they missed... Great player in Harris, solid ones in Sosa, Whaley and Gunter, (Hayden Johnson was good early when system fit him, don't understand why he hasn't transferred?) but other than, this class is the epitome of why we are where we are.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2019, 10:44:01 am »

Micah Smith as a 120 tackle guy. Lol.

Your point? Would you like a list of qb's who threw for 4000 yards in a single year in HS but never managed 400 in their college career?

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/micahh-smith/

From his Razorback bio, he had 123 tackles his senior year in HS. I guess you find that funny for some reason?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2019, 10:51:42 am »

Digging up your old posts is not the most Narcissistic thing I have seen, but  Henry the VIII said 'Dang'.

Don't know of many people who make march madness brackets only to then never look at them again even after the results have come in. Is checking your bracket considered narcissistic?

Because that's essentially what I'm doing here. Further, obviously a majority of my recruiting "bracket" predictions were wrong. So, it's clearly not an attempt to toot my own horn.

The only difference b/w this and a march madness bracket is that it takes several years to find out if you made an accurate prediction or not.

Seebs

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2019, 02:20:21 pm »

Don't know of many people who make march madness brackets only to then never look at them again even after the results have come in. Is checking your bracket considered narcissistic?

Because that's essentially what I'm doing here. Further, obviously a majority of my recruiting "bracket" predictions were wrong. So, it's clearly not an attempt to toot my own horn.

The only difference b/w this and a march madness bracket is that it takes several years to find out if you made an accurate prediction or not.

If you are looking your brackets up and sharing them to whomever will listen three years after the fact then yes. Responding numerous times to your own three year old post is also a symptom.

You are tooting something and I fear it is in front of a mirror.

Letting someone else revive your own thread, well, that is a novel idea.

As long as you are having fun Benny - no worries.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2019, 06:45:48 pm »

If you are looking your brackets up and sharing them to whomever will listen three years after the fact then yes. Responding numerous times to your own three year old post is also a symptom.

You are tooting something and I fear it is in front of a mirror.

Letting someone else revive your own thread, well, that is a novel idea.

As long as you are having fun Benny - no worries.

Except this wouldn't be akin to sharing your brackets three years after the fact. This would be akin to starting a thread where you make a bracket. Encourage others to also make their own brackets. Then, once the tournament is still going on but down to the final four (since many of these players still have another year of eligibility), going back up a page or two to see how the brackets turned out.

I don't really care about basketball, but I highly doubt that I'd remember exactly all 127 outcomes predicted over the course of the bracket and would probably  have to reference it if I wished to see how I did or not.

My first thought was to ask you to join, and post about who you were really excited about in that class and who you thought wouldn't pan out. However, most people don't tend to be honest, either to make themselves look good or because they don't actually remember what they thought and will then pretend to have made certain predictions. At least here, my predictions are set in stone for all the world to see. For better or for worse. And in making this year's predictions, curiosity came over me and I wondered if my analysis was any better than flipping a coin.

Seebs

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2019, 12:31:23 am »

Except this wouldn't be akin to sharing your brackets three years after the fact. This would be akin to starting a thread where you make a bracket. Encourage others to also make their own brackets. Then, once the tournament is still going on but down to the final four (since many of these players still have another year of eligibility), going back up a page or two to see how the brackets turned out.

I don't really care about basketball, but I highly doubt that I'd remember exactly all 127 outcomes predicted over the course of the bracket and would probably  have to reference it if I wished to see how I did or not.

My first thought was to ask you to join, and post about who you were really excited about in that class and who you thought wouldn't pan out. However, most people don't tend to be honest, either to make themselves look good or because they don't actually remember what they thought and will then pretend to have made certain predictions. At least here, my predictions are set in stone for all the world to see. For better or for worse. And in making this year's predictions, curiosity came over me and I wondered if my analysis was any better than flipping a coin.

You are truly an amazing and one of a kind. Very special. Don't change Soda Pop. I await your next foray into the unknown prognostications regarding athletic young men. God I hope the world will see it. We need it!

MissippHog

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2019, 07:34:43 am »

You are truly an amazing and one of a kind. Very special. Don't change Soda Pop. I await your next foray into the unknown prognostications regarding athletic young men. God I hope the world will see it. We need it!
Or you could just read what nearly everyone else is saying about a recruit, pretty much the same thing.....

Seebs

« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2019, 08:30:03 am »

Or you could just read what nearly everyone else is saying about a recruit, pretty much the same thing.....
You get it. I like that.

Tick Hog

Re: Breakdown of the 2019 Recruiting Class
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2019, 11:50:18 pm »

I always enjoy reading these and appreciate the time and effort. As far as Spivey goes I keep telling myself that this seems like the guy the staff wanted all along and we got him. I figure that surely we could have went into Texas and got a RB if they were concerned with his speed. His hudl tapes donít exactly just jump off the screen when I watch them either but what I do see is a football player. Like mentioned a big back not afraid of contact with good vision.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2019, 11:52:07 am »

I always enjoy reading these and appreciate the time and effort. As far as Spivey goes I keep telling myself that this seems like the guy the staff wanted all along and we got him. I figure that surely we could have went into Texas and got a RB if they were concerned with his speed. His hudl tapes donít exactly just jump off the screen when I watch them either but what I do see is a football player. Like mentioned a big back not afraid of contact with good vision.

With how this staff has elevated recruiting at Arkansas I have a hard time believing that they would recruit a RB that runs hard, but doesn't possess a breakaway threat. That said, being a RB who blocks, has soft hands when receiving, patience in the backfield and the vision to see the holes/creases opening and be able to make a quick cut to the hole/crease and has a burst of speed to get through the hole before it closes, are all pretty good things. I'd be really happy with a guy who is sufficiently strong willed and talented enough to get me 3-4 yards when I need it, but could also pick up 10 to 15 to 20 yards at times when the opportunity presents itself, even if he doesn't have breakaway speed. Naturally we all love the speedburners who also have these other attributes but I would be pretty happy with the guy I described as long as there was consistency in that performance.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:05:19 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2019, 03:21:16 pm »

Absolutely, I was just curious what the NFL weight would be because I figured that would be easier than looking up what a recruits weight was. 15 pounds is a reasonable amount to put on for a S over the minimum 3 years.

I'm curious on what your take of the new recruits is. If you want, feel free to simply piggy back off of my initial post and point to where you disagree or where you would add something I didn't comment on.

Largely my fault, but this thread has been derailed a bit from the original goal and I would love to get more people's opinions on what they see in our incoming class.

Normally I try not to speculate too much on recruits, how good they are or what I project that they will do. Every once in a while I'll let my fanism/homerism get the best of me and I might project something on a kid because I know some of their HS coaching staff and have gotten the "straight skinny" on a kid from people who know the game and have seen them in the community(character), practice and games for 2-3 years. But most of the time, I'm in a wait and see mode because I have seen far too many "can't miss" kids end up being an absolute miss or simply not performing at the level that everyone expected of them. It's a huge leap from high school to college, let alone the SEC and just the change in the speed of the game can leave some kids wide-eyed. Then there is the strength and physical development as well as the mental development that is required to play at a high level. So that's why I wait and see despite some folks who expect them to just walk on the field and turn in dominate performances against seasoned SEC competition. I think we have a good group of freshmen and transfers, we'll see.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 09:40:53 am »

I thought it was kinda interesting. Benny was right on some and over-optimistic on some.

HogSkywalker

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2019, 11:37:59 am »

Sometimes I like to argue with people who like blue skies and clean air.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2019, 04:21:29 pm »

With how this staff has elevated recruiting at Arkansas I have a hard time believing that they would recruit a RB that runs hard, but doesn't possess a breakaway threat. That said, being a RB who blocks, has soft hands when receiving, patience in the backfield and the vision to see the holes/creases opening and be able to make a quick cut to the hole/crease and has a burst of speed to get through the hole before it closes, are all pretty good things. I'd be really happy with a guy who is sufficiently strong willed and talented enough to get me 3-4 yards when I need it, but could also pick up 10 to 15 to 20 yards at times when the opportunity presents itself, even if he doesn't have breakaway speed. Naturally we all love the speedburners who also have these other attributes but I would be pretty happy with the guy I described as long as there was consistency in that performance.

Objectively, the recruiting isn't that much elevated. Last year's class was very good but at the end of the day, was only a few spots/players/offers different from most of the classes under Bielema. Factor in his first class which was really weak and I'm not sure how one comes to the conclusion that it is near unbelievable that they'd recruit a back w/o breakaway speed.

The rest of the post I agree with, and Alex Collins is the perfect example of that. Here's a 5* RB out of HS who didn't possess breakaway speed, but did the other 97% of the job at a very high level. Being able to turn a 1 yard run into a 4 or a 4 yard run into a 7 is way more important overall than being able to turn a 40 yard run into a 60.

Spivey has a similar running style and displays similar vision to Alex Collins, though at the cost of being a step or two slower.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2019, 09:41:30 pm »

It is simply amazing how critical fans can be of players.  It is equally amazing that so many fans believe that RBs and any other player for that matter with elite speed are out there just waiting to be plucked from the recruiting trails.  Alex Collins didn't have elite speed, but it was good speed.  Combined with all of his other attributes, he was an elite RB.  RBs with elite strength, vision, agility, toughness, ability to read blitzes and pass block effectively, catch the ball out of the backfield, etc that is combined with elite speed is rare.  If Spivey is anywhere in the same ball park as Collins in most areas, he is going to be a productive player for us.

oldfart

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2019, 02:30:13 pm »

thanks for making your original observations/predictions.  Tomhog used to do this for incoming classes but i understand his work load has prohibited this in the last couple of years.  For us who are not that deeply into the recruiting game its always interesting to read these predictions and then later assessing how well they predict the performance. 

Hawgphat

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2019, 04:29:04 pm »

My take on RB's:

Power running is a consideration unto itself.  A powerful RB who can consistently rack up 2 to 4 yards when needed is an extremely valuable asset, - - even if he runs a 4.97 40.

Those RB's whose primary asset is NOT power running need to be able to cover 40 yards in at least 4.6 seconds; - - if or when they find themselves beyond the line of scrimmage with a chance to ramble for a good-sized chunk of yardage, they need to be able to capitalize on foot-speed.  A RB with 4.8 speed is very likely to be quickly overhauled and taken down from behind, - - - even if there is no defender between him and the goal line.

And I don't care to hear about "angles".  A 4.5 DB is going to overhaul a 4.8 RB.  What might have culminated in a huge gain - or a touchdown - can be trimmed to a short yardage gain if a RB does not possess premium quality foot-speed.

Great power backs are a truly wonderful commodity; - - - - but BEAT THE BUSHES FOR THOSE FAST DUDES (who can hang onto the ball)!

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2019, 05:17:07 pm »

Objectively, the recruiting isn't that much elevated. Last year's class was very good but at the end of the day, was only a few spots/players/offers different from most of the classes under Bielema. Factor in his first class which was really weak and I'm not sure how one comes to the conclusion that it is near unbelievable that they'd recruit a back w/o breakaway speed.

The rest of the post I agree with, and Alex Collins is the perfect example of that. Here's a 5* RB out of HS who didn't possess breakaway speed, but did the other 97% of the job at a very high level. Being able to turn a 1 yard run into a 4 or a 4 yard run into a 7 is way more important overall than being able to turn a 40 yard run into a 60.

Spivey has a similar running style and displays similar vision to Alex Collins, though at the cost of being a step or two slower.

Well Collins was a 247 Sports composite 4 star coming out of high school (but I get your point) with just 6 P-5 offers (other than Arkansas) but he was a good RB and learned how to do those other things that are needed of a high quality RB.

Spivey is a composite 3 star who had just 4 other P-5 offers so we will see how he turns out. I hope he develops to a high level quickly. We certainly need him to do so. He is a good sized kid so he should be able to play sooner than later if he can grasp the offense and pick up his blocking assignments quickly. I certainly wish he could have been in for the spring.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:54:27 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2019, 09:51:39 am »

Well Collins was a 247 Sports composite 4 star coming out of high school (but I get your point) with just 6 P-5 offers (other than Arkansas) but he was a good RB and learned how to do those other things that are needed of a high quality RB.

Spivey is a composite 3 star who had just 4 other P-5 offers so we will see how he turns out. I hope he develops to a high level quickly. We certainly need him to do so. He is a good sized kid so he should be able to play sooner than later if he can grasp the offense and pick up his blocking assignments quickly. I certainly wish he could have been in for the spring.

I find superscores to be more useful than composites. Recruiting is all about what somebody is going to do in the future, and not where they are right now. So for me, so long as somebody with a trained eye sees that potential, then that's what counts.

But at the end of the day, it's just semantics.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:43 am »

I find superscores to be more useful than composites. Recruiting is all about what somebody is going to do in the future, and not where they are right now. So for me, so long as somebody with a trained eye sees that potential, then that's what counts.

But at the end of the day, it's just semantics.

I agree, but there is an awful lot of chatter about this kid or that kid and how great they are going to be. A good example is former Hog Will Gragg. Apparently 34 P-5 teams with trained eyes (heck of an offer list) thought he had what it takes to be a high level performer. He never made a lot of noise at Arkansas and ended up transferring out. Wrong place at the wrong time? Not a good fit? Not exactly setting the world on fire at Pitt either.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2019, 02:27:09 am »

My take on RB's:

Power running is a consideration unto itself.  A powerful RB who can consistently rack up 2 to 4 yards when needed is an extremely valuable asset, - - even if he runs a 4.97 40.

Those RB's whose primary asset is NOT power running need to be able to cover 40 yards in at least 4.6 seconds; - - if or when they find themselves beyond the line of scrimmage with a chance to ramble for a good-sized chunk of yardage, they need to be able to capitalize on foot-speed.  A RB with 4.8 speed is very likely to be quickly overhauled and taken down from behind, - - - even if there is no defender between him and the goal line.

And I don't care to hear about "angles".  A 4.5 DB is going to overhaul a 4.8 RB.  What might have culminated in a huge gain - or a touchdown - can be trimmed to a short yardage gain if a RB does not possess premium quality foot-speed.

Great power backs are a truly wonderful commodity; - - - - but BEAT THE BUSHES FOR THOSE FAST DUDES (who can hang onto the ball)!

Fast dudes don't often work out at RB for one reason or another. They are often too frail to carry the ball as a feature back and can be impactful as a backup, change of pace style player. Frequently they too often try to dance around for extra yards or try to always bounce it outside looking for the homerun every carry and frequently lose yards due to their greed.

No. Beat the bushes for the guys who can find and hit the holes, with the patience to let the blocks get set up first. Give me a back that has arguably the most important ability which is availability. Then, from their, if you have choices on who wants to come to your program who fits the above, then give me the faster ones.

I mean, there are more 1k yard rushers in the SEC who have run in the 4.6's due to vision, patience, burst, and durability than you can shake a stick at. In contrast, there aren't too many 4.4 forty backs who lack good RB vision who end up being successful.

Me, I'm not a fan of a RB by committee approach which seems to be what you are talking about? I.e. You seem to want a scat back, a power back, etc...

Side  note, people often have a fundamental misunderstanding of what rb by committee is. RBC is when you several backs all within a reasonable amount of carries of one another. No single back really takes the lead on earning carries. LSU and Arkansas over the past decade have some great examples. Take 2010 vs 2011 Arkansas for example. 2010 had Knile Davis as the feature back. When he went down in 2011, we went by committee with Johnson, Wingo Jr, and Green all having similar loads. Very few teams in the NFL actually use a committee approach. Most have their lead and/or feature back and then a collection of backs who will give their main guy some rest. Even among those that do appear to have committees, often that can actually just be the result of injuries, and if you look at the stats game by game, a single player would dominate the carries in the games he played until injury.

There is of course exceptions to the above. Take some of Bielema's past teams, though other schools have often done this two. You can have two, up to three backs all have similar carries, but not really IMO be a committee if every back is by themselves a "feature back". For instance, when there was or at least almost 3 backs reaching 1000 yards on that Wisconsin team or JWill and Collins both being major (sometimes only) features of the offense. Even back under Nutt Dmac, Felix, and Hillis weren't really a committee either as they were the offense with Marcus Monk virtually the only other threat.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2019, 02:33:36 am »

I agree, but there is an awful lot of chatter about this kid or that kid and how great they are going to be. A good example is former Hog Will Gragg. Apparently 34 P-5 teams with trained eyes (heck of an offer list) thought he had what it takes to be a high level performer. He never made a lot of noise at Arkansas and ended up transferring out. Wrong place at the wrong time? Not a good fit? Not exactly setting the world on fire at Pitt either.

As these threads prove, I'm no ace evaluator myself, but I''m on record way back on not really seeing the hype with Gragg. He reminded me of a more fluid Austin Tate. Don't get me wrong, the ceiling for that type of player is a Jason Witten type of TE, and you can do a lot worse than Witten. However, Witten's a pretty rare outcome for that type of player too.

Coming out of HS, Gragg was a way better blocker than most HS TE's these days. Showed very good hands, and a knack for finding the hole in coverage and sitting in it, and looked very fluid athletically, but in terms of speed and explosion just didn't really show much. I chocked it up to me missing something due to his high level offer sheet. And again, it'd be folly for me to remember an example like this and ignore all the times I didn't see much and was wrong.

Hawgphat

« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2019, 01:57:13 pm »

I'm not in disagreement with your assessment of a large percentage of "scat backs", benny.  It exasperates me for a back to waste precious time dancing, juking and jiving in his own backfield rather than hitting a portending hole as quickly as possible and gaining every bit of yardage possible before the hole closes.

I just don't look at the proposition as an either/or one.  I don't see why we can't find robustly-built power backs who have some bulldozer power AND some elite speed backs who possess an afterburner with which to leave DBs behind when they find an open field in front of them.

Other programs manage to come up with them.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2019, 03:20:03 pm »

I'm not in disagreement with your assessment of a large percentage of "scat backs", benny.  It exasperates me for a back to waste precious time dancing, juking and jiving in his own backfield rather than hitting a portending hole as quickly as possible and gaining every bit of yardage possible before the hole closes.

I just don't look at the proposition as an either/or one.  I don't see why we can't find robustly-built power backs who have some bulldozer power AND some elite speed backs who possess an afterburner with which to leave DBs behind when they find an open field in front of them.

You can count on a single hand the number of programs that have "managed to come up with them" more regularly than the University of Arkansas has. So, for starters, not sure what you gripe is there.

Secondly, if I read your post to a literal level and take what you say exactly as you say it, then we are talking about at best one back every three years or so or perhaps even just one back a generation that truly meets what you say. Todd Gurley and Fournette have the speed and the power you talk about but both have had multiple injuries. Same with Knile Davis. Trent Richardson didn't have the speed. Even McFadden arguably wouldn't make your cut given he had some injuries and wasn't a terribly powerful back. He'd use his speed to compensate for power launching himself full speed, but of course, that led to increased injuries.

From a literal interpretation, Ezekial Elliot and maybe Adrian Peterson are probably the closest two backs that meet your criteria.

If you are willing to add a bit of wiggle room, say, maybe a 90% criteria such that the person is available 90% of possible games, can outrun 90% of DB's, averages 2 yards of gains after contact 90% of the time or something like that, then I mean, that would describe quite a few backs. Probably even Alex Collins and maybe even Jwill. Most DB's don't run 4.4's ya know.

At the end of the day, we simply haven't really been lacking for high quality RB's. We've had poor coaching a team that hasn't put forth high effort the past two seasons, but skill level at RB is hardly the issue.

Hawgphat

« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2019, 04:08:30 pm »

I haven't really registered a "gripe", benny, - - just a preference.  I would rather that our recruiters avoid pursuing those RBs who  - - while they may be FAST in the open field, - - show a marked tendency to dance a protracted jig in the backfield while looking for an opening.  And I would very much like to have a RB with sufficient foot speed to at least make a racing duel of it against a pursuing DB.

I really can't fathom how that quest might be deemed "unreasonable".

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2019, 06:44:49 pm »

I will say that I believe (opinion) that part of your exasperation might lie in the difference between offenses. You are going to get a lot more of power-type RB's hitting holes that are designed to be created in a certain hole or area and require a kid to run directly to that area expecting everyone to do their jobs in blocking in a power-style of offense.

Zone blocking tends to require 2-3 O-linemen and perhaps a TE to all work together in blocking as opposed to each one having their own individual and specific assignment. This certainly requires the o-line to gel and through instinct and familiarity with one another, know what the others will do in any given situation or personnel grouping/movement that they face. More importantly, because the G and C are initially doubling a man, one or the other is going to slide off and pick up a LB. Positioning of the O-lineman who remains with the DT (example) is essential so that even with the other OL sliding off to pick the LB, the remaining o-lineman can contain through leverage and position. The same thing happens with the TE and OT.

This presents a situation where the RB may appear to stutter-step but is merely waiting for the hole to open. The key to the whole blocking scheme is that the O-Linemen cannot allow penetration for this to work and as we all know with the amount of lost yards we sustained last year, we had problems with this.

Now you also have to have a RB with good vision who can see the hole developing even when everyone (OL and TE) caves in that side of the line and the hole ends up being a cut outside. I think of it as a classic "run to daylight" kind of scheme that doesn't always present the traditional "hole" made by the O-Line but instead takes advantage of the reaction of the front 7 to work against them.

Get used to this because I think that we are going to see a lot of this out of the Morris scheme but in utilizing more of a modern triple option that forces the defense to remain more spread out, provided of course that we present a passing threat to opposing defenses. And, most of the time, the blocking schemes may appear to be very similar whether it ends up being a run or a pass.

That's just my thoughts and far from exact or even factual, but that is how I see this working and why there is a difference in the posture, positioning and footwork of the RB's.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:57:29 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

Hawgphat

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2019, 11:31:59 pm »

I will say that I believe (opinion) that part of your exasperation might lie in the difference between offenses. You are going to get a lot more of power-type RB's hitting holes that are designed to be created in a certain hole or area and require a kid to run directly to that area expecting everyone to do their jobs in blocking in a power-style of offense.

Zone blocking tends to require 2-3 O-linemen and perhaps a TE to all work together in blocking as opposed to each one having their own individual and specific assignment. This certainly requires the o-line to gel and through instinct and familiarity with one another, know what the others will do in any given situation or personnel grouping/movement that they face. More importantly, because the G and C are initially doubling a man, one or the other is going to slide off and pick up a LB. Positioning of the O-lineman who remains with the DT (example) is essential so that even with the other OL sliding off to pick the LB, the remaining o-lineman can contain through leverage and position. The same thing happens with the TE and OT.

This presents a situation where the RB may appear to stutter-step but is merely waiting for the hole to open. The key to the whole blocking scheme is that the O-Linemen cannot allow penetration for this to work and as we all know with the amount of lost yards we sustained last year, we had problems with this.

Now you also have to have a RB with good vision who can see the hole developing even when everyone (OL and TE) caves in that side of the line and the hole ends up being a cut outside. I think of it as a classic "run to daylight" kind of scheme that doesn't always present the traditional "hole" made by the O-Line but instead takes advantage of the reaction of the front 7 to work against them.

Get used to this because I think that we are going to see a lot of this out of the Morris scheme but in utilizing more of a modern triple option that forces the defense to remain more spread out, provided of course that we present a passing threat to opposing defenses. And, most of the time, the blocking schemes may appear to be very similar whether it ends up being a run or a pass.

That's just my thoughts and far from exact or even factual, but that is how I see this working and why there is a difference in the posture, positioning and footwork of the RB's.

That's a well-thought-out, rational assessment.  Thanks for your perspective.      :)

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2019, 06:30:04 pm »

I haven't really registered a "gripe", benny, - - just a preference.  I would rather that our recruiters avoid pursuing those RBs who  - - while they may be FAST in the open field, - - show a marked tendency to dance a protracted jig in the backfield while looking for an opening.  And I would very much like to have a RB with sufficient foot speed to at least make a racing duel of it against a pursuing DB.

I really can't fathom how that quest might be deemed "unreasonable".

In any dictionary's definition of the word gripe, saying such phrases as "I don't see why we can't find ____. Other programs manage to come up with them." is by definition a complaint and therefore the act of complaining is by definition also called griping. For example, simply saying "I prefer ___ type of RB" would indeed merely be registering a preference. However, saying "This is the type of back I want and I don't know why we can't get it" is then also complaining.

As for your last part, what you described in this post is night and day different from what you described before. I can't fathom of a regular starter at RB for the hogs over the past at least 15 years that wouldn't meet your brand new quest. Of course, with the goal posts moved all the way across state lines now, it does beg the question of why anyone would complain about us NOT being able to get said type of back when we've struggled to have any regular starters not meet said qualifications.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas