Non Sports Forums > RazorVets

Air National Guard - Question.

(1/1)

LSUFan:
Oldest is about to graduate A-State and is thinking about signing up.

He wants to do it mainly to get his student loans paid off.


Dumb question, but, does the ANG get deployed to fight somebody else's wars, or do they stay here.

Any advice?

I admire the job our service members do, I just don't think I could function for a while if he was shipped out and hurt or worse.

Signed,

Confused/Anxious Dad.

Großer Kriegschwein:
The answer to your question is yes, they deploy, but primarily to what we in the army would consider more leisurely places.

But there is always the chance they could get dropped into the grinder (Kandahar, 2001).

My Marine Squadron was relieved by an Air National Guard Squadron in Kandahar in 2003 (much safer place than 2001).

All depends on job really.

Flying Razorback:
All depends on the location and the airframe.  They deploy all the time.  I was in Afghanistan with multiple guard units last year.  And they're still there.  There are guard/reserve units throughout the Middle East and in Afghanistan itself year round. 

But some aren't there because some airframes aren't there.

What locations is he considering?

LSUFan:

--- Quote from: Flying Razorback on December 18, 2015, 09:51:54 pm ---All depends on the location and the airframe.  They deploy all the time.  I was in Afghanistan with multiple guard units last year.  And they're still there.  There are guard/reserve units throughout the Middle East and in Afghanistan itself year round. 

But some aren't there because some airframes aren't there.

What locations is he considering?

--- End quote ---
Not sure. Can he chose one at sign up where he is least likely to be deployed into war?

All he has told me was he would be in OCS.

PS, thank you guys for your help.

The Chief:

--- Quote from: LSUFan on December 18, 2015, 10:31:42 pm ---Not sure. Can he chose one at sign up where he is least likely to be deployed into war?

All he has told me was he would be in OCS.

PS, thank you guys for your help.

--- End quote ---

There is no "signing up to where he's least likely to go to war."  Everybody deploys nowadays.  I've done four years total overseas in "war."  There are certain jobs that deploy more than others, but Flying could tell you more about the ANG than I can.

If he wants to join the ANG, especially as an officer, I sure hope he doesn't have the mentality of evading deployment.  I'm sure it's just your hesitation and nerves considering it's your son.  I get that.

Flying Razorback:

--- Quote from: LSUFan on December 18, 2015, 10:31:42 pm ---Not sure. Can he chose one at sign up where he is least likely to be deployed into war?

All he has told me was he would be in OCS.

PS, thank you guys for your help.

--- End quote ---


Yes, you get hired directly by the unit so you get to choose the Air National Guard unit you're joining.  In the flying world there are some Guard units that just run the school house to teach people to fly that particular airframe.  So their mission is a home station one where they never deploy.  On the flying side that means they only take Instructor Pilots and Instructor Navigators/Engineers/Loadmasters to join the unit.  However, the Intelligence, Maintenance, Logistics Readiness and so on are all part of the Guard Wing and so they can be hired as a brand new guy off the street.

The units that have a combat mission are more willing to hire guys off the street to teach them to fly the plane and join the unit, but then they have to deploy with the unit.  That's your F-16s, A-10s, C-130s (besides Arkansas National Guard because they're a school house), and so on.

But then there are the Unmanned Aircraft Wings (RPA - Remotely Piloted Aircraft) such as Fort Smith's Air National Guard Wing.  They fly a combat mission, but don't deploy unless it's in a launch and recovery capacity, but I think most of those are taken by the active duty guys.

Mississippi Air National Guard has C-17s, so that's Strategic Airlift.  So they hire guys off the street but don't deploy because their job is to do long haul and carry stuff from the States to the theater and come back home.  So they may take off from Mississippi, fly a ring around the Pacific for a week dropping stuff off, and then come back home.  Or Memphis Air National Guard that is C-17s also may fly from Memphis to Germany to Afghanistan to Germany back to Memphis. 

Last year we were out there with the A-10 unit out of Fort Wayne, Indiana and the F-16 unit out of Iowa.  So they brought their own maintenance troops, weapons guys, aircrew, med techs, intelligence, and everyone else who works at the wing and bedded down in Afghanistan for a rotation and then headed home.

So there are lots of options.  And at all those bases there are going to be jobs ranging from working on the medical side to flying airplanes.  The closer you are to the flight line, the more "man days" there are for pay and the more you'll get a hand in the mission.  But that also means the more likely you are to go be part of the combat ops down range if that unit is one that deploys.

Old Tusk:
Until the late 90s, ANG units had to be activated as a unit, but now individuals can activated. Let's say he goes into Security Police. Then his chances of being activated are the same no matter what unit he is in. The same would aply for Services, Intel, etc.. I will assume he is not going to pilot training. You have to realize that many of the officer slots are filled by technicians so most likely he would be assigned to security or Intel. Of course it is totally dependent on what the units need is.

Old Tusk:
S

LSUFan:

--- Quote from: The Chief on December 19, 2015, 01:51:44 am ---There is no "signing up to where he's least likely to go to war."  Everybody deploys nowadays.  I've done four years total overseas in "war."  There are certain jobs that deploy more than others, but Flying could tell you more about the ANG than I can.

If he wants to join the ANG, especially as an officer, I sure hope he doesn't have the mentality of evading deployment.  I'm sure it's just your hesitation and nerves considering it's your son.  I get that.

--- End quote ---
Yup, you get me.

Hell, I worried about your sorry ass when you were over there.  ;)

LSUFan:
I thank you guys tremendously for the advice and your service, I'll share this with him as I think the recruiter was blowing smoke up his ass.

LSUFan:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on December 19, 2015, 07:16:37 pm ---LSUFan,

I have one in the Army Reserve right now and another is active duty Army.  I know your angst.  I can tell you my reservist made a mighty dent in his college bills with the benefits.   

Out of curiosity, has your son considered Army and / or Army Reserve?

--- End quote ---
I don't think so, I think he is just infatuated at the idea of flying a plane/helicopter.

I and my dad have the money to pay off his student loans, I just need to figure out of that is his driving force.

I appreciate your input.

kodiakisland:

--- Quote from: LSUFan on December 18, 2015, 04:12:29 pm ---Oldest is about to graduate A-State and is thinking about signing up.

He wants to do it mainly to get his student loans paid off.


Dumb question, but, does the ANG get deployed to fight somebody else's wars, or do they stay here.

Any advice?

I admire the job our service members do, I just don't think I could function for a while if he was shipped out and hurt or worse.

Signed,

Confused/Anxious Dad.

--- End quote ---

What exactly do you mean by somebody else's war? 

kodiakisland:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on December 19, 2015, 07:16:37 pm ---LSUFan,

I have one in the Army Reserve right now and another is active duty Army.  I know your angst.  I can tell you my reservist made a mighty dent in his college bills with the benefits.   

Out of curiosity, has your son considered Army and / or Army Reserve?

--- End quote ---

As someone with considerable time in the army, active and reserve, I'd say he's looking in the correct area.  My wife was active air force and currently full time air NG.  My son is a marine.  I think everyone in our family would agree the air NG is one of the better services to join. 

LSUFan:

--- Quote from: kodiakisland on December 21, 2015, 04:02:47 am ---What exactly do you mean by somebody else's war?

--- End quote ---
A little place called Kandahar, Helmand - Province - I have been there, it ain't nice.

LSUFan:

--- Quote from: kodiakisland on December 21, 2015, 04:06:54 am ---As someone with considerable time in the army, active and reserve, I'd say he's looking in the correct area.  My wife was active air force and currently full time air NG.  My son is a marine.  I think everyone in our family would agree the air NG is one of the better services to join.

--- End quote ---
Thank You.

This won't be an easy talk or decision on his part.

LSUFan:

--- Quote from: sevenof400 on December 21, 2015, 09:27:48 pm ---Best of luck on this LSUFan.  I hope this turns out for the best.

--- End quote ---
Much love to you and yours. Thank you for your support and help.

Boll Hawg:
I've been in the Air Guard 11 years.  Love it!  I'm very good friends with the 189th Air Guard recruiters based out of LRAFB.  Let me know if I can help with anything.

And I've never deployed.  Certain career fields deploy much more than others.   

LSUFan:

--- Quote from: Boll Hawg on December 27, 2015, 08:30:43 pm ---I've been in the Air Guard 11 years.  Love it!  I'm very good friends with the 189th Air Guard recruiters based out of LRAFB.  Let me know if I can help with anything.

And I've never deployed.  Certain career fields deploy much more than others.   

--- End quote ---
Will do.

I think he may go the grad school route.

Boll Hawg:

--- Quote from: LSUFan on December 28, 2015, 10:18:28 pm ---Will do.

I think he may go the grad school route.

--- End quote ---

I used my GI Bill + kicker.  It was awesome. I was better before off financially in college than I am now.  Only drilling one weekend a month, plus the extra $, I was making more money than most of my friends who worked 20+hrs a week.  I earned 3 degrees with my highest being a masters. I don't owe a penny in student loans thanks to the Guard.

Pork Twain:

--- Quote from: LSUFan on December 19, 2015, 07:11:06 pm ---I thank you guys tremendously for the advice and your service, I'll share this with him as I think the recruiter was blowing smoke up his ass.

--- End quote ---
Have him shoot me a text if he has any questions.  I just retired after 21+ yrs  AD Air Force.

I do find the mindset of reaping military benefits while avoiding deployments, more than a little troubling though and I have seen this with several AD members.

LSUFan:

--- Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2016, 11:40:06 am ---Have him shoot me a text if he has any questions.  I just retired after 21+ yrs  AD Air Force.

I do find the mindset of reaping military benefits while avoiding deployments, more than a little troubling though and I have seen this with several AD members.

--- End quote ---
Will do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version
Mobile View