• 10,928,412 Posts
• 425,017 Topics
• 24,854 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mitch will be a summer mystery  (Read 6651 times)

Tomhog™

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Re: Mitch will be a summer mystery
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2006, 09:14:28 pm »

The way Rick and Scott Cain were trying to explain it on DTS is that you can still interview the incoming freshmen, but that you can't set up the interview through the SID or University.  You can set it up on your own.  That's what I got out of their conversation.  Though they did mention what Mike I. had said before their thoughts on the matter...

NATEHOGG216

• All-American Hogvillian
  • now thats a hog fan
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2006, 09:52:07 pm »

NCAA = Not Caring About Athletes

What a bunch of BS

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

mikeirwin

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2006, 10:45:20 pm »

The way Rick and Scott Cain were trying to explain it on DTS is that you can still interview the incoming freshmen, but that you can't set up the interview through the SID or University.  You can set it up on your own.  That's what I got out of their conversation.  Though they did mention what Mike I. had said before their thoughts on the matter...
I have been told you have to go through HDN to get permission to do an interview with the freshmen off campus. But HDN can't set up an interview on or off campus. So it's a catch 22.

FLKeysGuy

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2006, 10:53:06 pm »

I have been told you have to go through HDN to get permission to do an interview with the freshmen off campus. But HDN can't set up an interview on or off campus. So it's a catch 22.

This is the funniest damn thing I've ever seen!  Get permission from HDN, but he can't have anything to do with the interview.  Pay for the kids' tuition, room, and board, but they are still considered "recruitable athletes" rather than "student athletes" so you really can't talk to them or watch them.  You can watch the upperclassmen in the voluntary practices, but you have to close your eyes any time a "recruitable athlete" comes into your eyeline.  Pretty soon the NCAA will say if you are getting gas at a pump next to one of the "recruitable athletes" and say "hi" you will be violating a rule and therefore jeopardize his eligibility.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2006, 11:02:41 pm »

Only if they are getting premium octane gas.

You cannot hold the door for them when entering to pay, either.

hogmary

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2006, 10:20:58 am »

Vanderbilt has already taken advantage of the new rule about football players who still have eligibility left after they graduate...they will have a new quarterback next year, from either Arizona or Arizona State...immediate eligibility.  That's the dumbest rule yet.  If you can transfer and immediately play at another school (supposedly because it has a better program than your current school in your chosen field for graduate work), why can't you change your major to something you like better and not lose eligibility?  That makes as much sense as letting schools sign 25 players per year, but limiting scholarships to 85.

Tomhog™

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2006, 10:47:16 am »

And you definitely can't clean their windshield!  Strictly against NCAA code 173.62 subsection P paragraph 3 sub-part a....  ;)

FLKeysGuy

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2006, 10:53:18 am »

And you definitely can't clean their windshield!  Strictly against NCAA code 173.62 subsection P paragraph 3 sub-part a....  ;)

Yes, you're absolutely right!  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, paragraph 4 of that same section states "...any physical contact with the recruitable athlete's automobile by a fan or booster, whether deliberate or accidental, shall result in an automatic suspension of said athlete's eligibility for a period of no less than one complete season of the athlete's scholarship sport or until such time that the athlete no longer owns the automobile that has been violated."

Tomhog™

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2006, 10:57:42 am »

Yes, you're absolutely right!  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, paragraph 4 of that same section states "...any physical contact with the recruitable athlete's automobile by a fan or booster, whether deliberate or accidental, shall result in an automatic suspension of said athlete's eligibility for a period of no less than one complete season of the athlete's scholarship sport or until such time that the athlete no longer owns the automobile that has been violated."

At first I didn't believe you, but I went back and read it.  Sure enough.  Those NCAA crack heads.  You can't even be a good Samaritan anymore...

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2006, 11:28:04 am »

I'm getting sick.  Time for a revolt..

Tomhog™

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2006, 11:59:28 am »

Is Gus still a 'recruitable' coach?  Can we talk to him yet?  Or will he lose one year of coachability?  I'd just hate for the NCAA to lower the bomb on our revamped offense saying we violated rules since it's not yet fall practice...

hee hee

PigPusher

• Global Moderator
  • Just another day as a Hog!!!
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2006, 06:21:17 pm »

Is Gus still a 'recruitable' coach?  Can we talk to him yet?  Or will he lose one year of coachability?  I'd just hate for the NCAA to lower the bomb on our revamped offense saying we violated rules since it's not yet fall practice...

hee hee

Good one tomcat. Thought of that same thing but your fingers are faster. Could be that Coach Malzahn being a recruitable coach he doesn't have to act like a coach right now.

FLKeysGuy

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2006, 06:34:55 pm »

If Gus is technically a "recruitable coach" shouldn't he be allowed to conduct "unofficial" practices with "recruitable athletes" who "voluntarily" attend and have a "pre-existing relationship" with him?!!  8)

If I were an attorney, I'd be looking for a way to cash-in on the infinite billable hours available in trying to interpret the NCAA! ;)

Calling All Hogs

• Global Moderator
  • Welcome To A Chad Free State!
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2006, 09:10:20 pm »

It is interestng however that Houston Nutt was allowed to discuss Mitch with reporters at the just completed SEC meetings. If Mitch is considered a recruitable athlete by the NCAA then a coach talking about him should be a violation. Of course it is nothing new to have the NCAA interpret it's own rules to suit it's own purposes.

I believe the prohibition against a coach talking about a recruit ends on signing day. Otherwise Nutt is in gross violation yearly when he goes on DTS on signing day and declares one at a time that all his recruits that signed are
"something really special"  ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 11:09:10 am by CallMeHog »

chiefsfan

• Gold Hogvillian
  • ASU fan here for laughs and the college baseball.
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2006, 12:42:21 am »

They do watch these things carefully.   In Jonesboro right around this time of year, they have a golf cart that goes around the stadium to keep people from looking in...

Wooisme

• Senior
  • Hooten ith a mighty webble now. Hoo-Way!
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2006, 07:35:29 am »

He may NOT be a "recruitable" coach BUT he evidently is a "resignable" coach as in...  LOL

hee hee

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Whole Hog half ham, Arkansas by damn.....!
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2006, 07:54:38 pm »

I love the idea of dissing the NCAA.  If all the BCS schools were to pull out...I love that idea.  Come up with our own governing body, and they would have nothing but red faces to counter with.  I really do love it.

A self-important organization crashes due to their own BS.  Where do I sign?

Richard_white

• greatness!
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2006, 12:34:13 am »

I just want to know whether or not Markuson has approved the new rule.

Yes, my brakes are working good now

hogtusk

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2006, 03:34:42 pm »

This is a confusing rule. Are they considered a recruitable athlete right after they sign their LOI? Because they are filmed, interviewed and discussed by every coach and wannabe recruiting guru all across the country. Or is this a special dispensation to the rule?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas