• 10,761,592 Posts
• 420,340 Topics
• 24,701 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Astros Mgr AJ Hinch and GM Luhnow FIRED!!!  (Read 244 times)

GolfNut57

Astros Mgr AJ Hinch and GM Luhnow FIRED!!!
« on: January 13, 2020, 05:58:00 pm »

Wow........... ???

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-sign-stealing-penalty

I got a feeling more heads are gonna roll across the league. Cora of Boston may be next.....

McKdaddy

Re: Astros Mgr AJ Hinch and GM Luhnow FIRED!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 09:23:54 pm »

Phenomenal.

The wife (a lifelong Rangers fan) asked me....would you take a WS title if it meant cheating (similar or differing circumstances to these by the astros)? Heads roll, maybe the title feels tainted, and your rivals never let you hear the end of it. But the title isn’t stripped.

I responded, “no, the Cards have plenty of titles.” She gave me the 1-finger salute and said she’d take the tainted title for her team.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

CatDuke

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 09:56:36 pm »

Not nearly enough. Houston will simply absorb the $5M in the salaries of the two replacement hires and spend international money to get 1st round talent.

Can’t believe this didn’t involve individual player fines/ bans and the WS title being stripped. Pete Rose’s betting didn’t change the outcome of a WS and that was worth a lifetime ban.

EastexHawg

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 10:40:42 am »

Stealing signs is a tradition in baseball that goes back to before the turn of the 20th Century.  If Ty Cobb and Tony Lazzeri had had electronic devices they would have figured out a way to use them to gain an advantage, too.  I'm surprised at the level of outrage over this.

Well, actually, I'm not surprised.  We're a nation of outrage.

GolfNut57

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 09:16:33 pm »

Boston says CYA to Alex Cora.............who's next?

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/alex-cora-dismissed-as-red-sox-manager

Hinch got a yea suspension by MLB? What are the chances Cora gets the lifetime ban? He was part of the scandal in Houston and continued to cheat in Boston even after being warned after the 2017 year.

As a long time Red Sox fan this grieves me terribly.

EastexHawg

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 04:57:44 pm »

I don't think there was any choice but to fire Hinch and the GM in Houston.  They were both suspended for a season and the team can't go an entire year without someone running things.

jbcarol

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:07:26 pm »

oldman1015

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 02:00:12 pm »

How did the catcher not figure this out?

Oliver

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 11:15:28 pm »

Boston says CYA to Alex Cora.............who's next?

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/news/alex-cora-dismissed-as-red-sox-manager

Hinch got a yea suspension by MLB? What are the chances Cora gets the lifetime ban? He was part of the scandal in Houston and continued to cheat in Boston even after being warned after the 2017 year.

As a long time Red Sox fan this grieves me terribly.

Carlos Beltran.  And I have no idea whether to thank the Astros or not.  I’m sure Beltran will become one of the best managers in baseball at another club

GolfNut57

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 12:59:37 am »

Carlos Beltran.  And I have no idea whether to thank the Astros or not.  I’m sure Beltran will become one of the best managers in baseball at another club

Eventually maybe. Be interesting to see if another club will touch him this year. Even though MLB refused to punish him he is every bit as guilty of cheating as Cora was. Wonder how much of that scheme he passed on to the Yankees last year?

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Listening to corndogs the day after....
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 01:18:23 pm »

How did the catcher not figure this out?

They figured it out occasionally.

I think the Astros switched to a buzzer for the 2019 season instead of beating the trash can with a bat.

They only beat the trash can after a called breaking ball

ucahogfan

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 07:35:55 pm »

They figured it out occasionally.

I think the Astros switched to a buzzer for the 2019 season instead of beating the trash can with a bat.

They only beat the trash can after a called breaking ball
They also probably weren't listening for something like that while the Astros were.

While the Astros got hit hard, I don't think Manfred did enough to dissuade future cheating.  He should have also disallowed their ability to sign international players for the same two years they took away draft picks so that the organization essentially goes two years without adding any perceived high level talents.  That would been huge for an organization which has a lot of home grown offensive talent.

I also think that if Manfred really wants to prove a point, he will ban Cora from the game for life as the mastermind behind it all.  If people know that the penalty for this is a lifetime ban, I feel like it would essentially put it to an end.

GolfNut57

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 09:45:08 pm »

I also think that if Manfred really wants to prove a point, he will ban Cora from the game for life as the mastermind behind it all.  If people know that the penalty for this is a lifetime ban, I feel like it would essentially put it to an end.

While I don't necessarily disagree with banning Cora for life I think it might be hard to do that while not punishing Beltran at all from the MLB side of it. Cora was the head cheater but Beltran was right there beside him advising ways to "improve" the cheating method. Ban Cora for life and Manfred has to go back and at least give Beltran a five year hiatus.

That will NOT happen.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 03:45:08 pm »

They also probably weren't listening for something like that while the Astros were.

While the Astros got hit hard, I don't think Manfred did enough to dissuade future cheating.  He should have also disallowed their ability to sign international players for the same two years they took away draft picks so that the organization essentially goes two years without adding any perceived high level talents.  That would been huge for an organization which has a lot of home grown offensive talent.

His question was “How did the catcher not figure it out?”

My answer was “They did occasionally”

GolfNut57

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 04:11:39 pm »

His question was “How did the catcher not figure it out?”

My answer was “They did occasionally”

"Pompous Dick".............hahaha

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2020, 01:21:23 pm »

"Pompous Dick".............hahaha

Yeah. It’s irritating for me because Bagwell was always fun to watch. Biggio was excellent. Even Mike Scott and Nolan were great due to their work ethic on top of talent.

The whole situation is disgusting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas