• 10,347,728 Posts
• 409,482 Topics
• 23,409 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 pm games......  (Read 2243 times)

hogz11

8 pm games......
« on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:38 pm »

I know this has been discussed before, but last night was my first one I was able to attend. FYI I live near Cabot.

Let me first say I had a great time at the game and even got to talk to Scotty Thurman for a bit afterwards. Always good to see the Hogs beat Mizzwho as I cannot stand them.

But 8 pm tipoff means 10-10:30 getting out of Bud Walton which means closer to 11 leaving Fayetteville. As much as I love going to games, that will probably be my last 8 pm game to attend. As a family man who now goes to work at 7:30 am, getting home after 2 am isn't going to cut it.

I get it's part of TV deals or whatever, but that's pretty late to being getting out of a game unless you live close to NWA. Wish they started closer to 6 pm but that's just my opinion.

younghog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Keep em coming
Re: 8 pm games......
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 01:21:49 pm »

Living here in Tejas.. If I returned back to my home state and could make a game and still go to work the next day..

Mountain dew is always my friend..

GO HOGS

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:24:47 pm »

FYI I live near Cabot.

You have my sympathy.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 01:25:23 pm »

We sold out our fans for the SEC Network. What a shame. These 8pm games are terrible.

MikePiazza

• Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 01:26:57 pm »

I know this has been discussed before, but last night was my first one I was able to attend. FYI I live near Cabot.

Let me first say I had a great time at the game and even got to talk to Scotty Thurman for a bit afterwards. Always good to see the Hogs beat Mizzwho as I cannot stand them.

But 8 pm tipoff means 10-10:30 getting out of Bud Walton which means closer to 11 leaving Fayetteville. As much as I love going to games, that will probably be my last 8 pm game to attend. As a family man who now goes to work at 7:30 am, getting home after 2 am isn't going to cut it.

I get it's part of TV deals or whatever, but that's pretty late to being getting out of a game unless you live close to NWA. Wish they started closer to 6 pm but that's just my opinion.

NWA fans need to step up and attend more games, but they also need to reduce ticket prices, IMO. The upper deck, or "loft" is only full for big games. Fans think it's a "nosebleeds" seat when in reality, it's a great view of the action. I sat up there for the Mississippi State game for the first time in a few years and loved it.

I think $10 for nonconference games and $20 for SEC games is reasonable for the "loft."

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:28 pm »

We The League sold out our fans for the SEC Network. What a shame. These 8pm games are terrible.

FIFY. But TV $ trumps late start times.

Piggage

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 01:46:05 pm »

We sold out our fans for the SEC Network. What a shame. These 8pm games are terrible.

Right, but what choice did we have? What choice did any SEC team have? The 6-8 / 8-10 TV double-headers happened because most teams in the SEC have small basketball arenas that they don't fill up. So they inconvenience a few thousand people to create TV programming that's designed to reach many thousands more.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 01:52:31 pm »

Right, but what choice did we have? What choice did any SEC team have? The 6-8 / 8-10 TV double-headers happened because most teams in the SEC have small basketball arenas that they don't fill up. So they inconvenience a few thousand people to create TV programming that's designed to reach many thousands more.
So why don't we get 6 p.m. games from time to time?  Not to be a nitpicker, but it is the same old, same old kind of thing:  we always seem to get screwed in scheduling.

Hoggish1

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 02:03:26 pm »

NWA fans need to step up and attend more games, but they also need to reduce ticket prices, IMO. The upper deck, or "loft" is only full for big games. Fans think it's a "nosebleeds" seat when in reality, it's a great view of the action. I sat up there for the Mississippi State game for the first time in a few years and loved it.

I think $10 for nonconference games and $20 for SEC games is reasonable for the "loft."

They aught to lower them, but they are probably tone deaf to the need to do so. 

$10 and $15 seems more than reasonable for those seats.  The team deserves a full house!

TV on the SEC NEtwork had a good shot of a completely empty upper deck.  Wouldn't it be better to get some $ for those seats?

popcornhog

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 02:15:10 pm »

I agree and disagree. The SECN has been awesome for fans because we now get to watch every single game. It's been bad though, because it's harder for those of us who live outside of NWA to attend. It's been great for revenue and bad for attendance.

In the cost/benefit analysis, I have to think it's worth it overall for the fans, the UA, and the SEC.

The biggest loser in the deal is probably Fayetteville. Although I imagine it's negligible.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 02:25:23 pm »

So why don't we get 6 p.m. games from time to time?  Not to be a nitpicker, but it is the same old, same old kind of thing:  we always seem to get screwed in scheduling.

because they usually show a Eastern time zone game at 6pm central. FLA, GA, TN, SC, Ky are all in that zone.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 02:32:18 pm »

because they usually show a Eastern time zone game at 6pm central. FLA, GA, TN, SC, Ky are all in that zone.
What about when we play Tennessee, Florida or South Carolina?  We seem to have more of the 8 than 6 by a longshot this year.

lstewart

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 02:51:52 pm »

I like the 8pm tv road games, as it makes it easy to get in a workout, settle in, and watch the game in primetime. I don't think 8pm home games are a great idea for attendance. We live in Springdale, so are home by 11pm, but by the time you settle in and unwind, even we lose some sleep. In the old days we used to have a few 8:30pm ESPN games, but now it seems most of our games are at 8pm. Makes it unlikely that we will ever have packed crowds again, but that seems to be the way everything is going. I do like being able to watch all the road games.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 03:18:01 pm »

What about when we play Tennessee, Florida or South Carolina?  We seem to have more of the 8 than 6 by a longshot this year.

when we play them here yes, but most games being played in the eastern time zone tip at 6 our time which is 7 there.

ArmyOfnobunaga

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 03:21:20 pm »

Bullet trains people... We must be the first state with them.

ricepig

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 03:23:39 pm »

$10 and $15 seems more than reasonable for those seats.  The team deserves a full house!

TV on the SEC NEtwork had a good shot of a completely empty upper deck.  Wouldn't it be better to get some $ for those seats?

How many seats do you think weren't sold over a $10 difference? I think mid-week late start effects attendance more than price. It would probably help some on the early non-cons, how much, I don't know.

tc_mem

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 03:38:01 pm »

When I lived in Memphis the Grizzlies would have $7.50 seats in the upper decks, if it was a huge game they would be $20 (against the Heat with Lebron).  Even though I could catch the game on tv, I'd walk 6 blocks and grab a ticket with some friends because it was so cheap. I fully understand it's Apple's and oranges as the nba tv contact gives them much deeper pockets, but taking away the "cheap seats" from fans will drive some away.

mizzouman

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 04:24:17 pm »

These games suck if you don't live close.  Same thing at Mizzou.  No one from KC or STL will come to a weekday 8pm game.  But, when do you play them?  6pm games are tough as well.  Many can't afford to skip out of work early to go. 

But, these games have always been played like this.  You can't play every game on a weekend.....but, TV has made it much easier to just sit at home and watch. 

Hogfaniam

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Thirst For Victory
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 04:35:06 pm »

You would think students would fill those seats.  How many are on campus at night at any given time?

phadedhawg

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 04:38:33 pm »

You should move to NW Arkansas to cut down on drive time. 

gchamblee

• Benched along with patience and reason
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 04:44:58 pm »

if 5 bucks is what is keeping you from attending the game, you werent going to go regardless of the price.

gchamblee

• Benched along with patience and reason
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 04:57:42 pm »

on the other side of the argument, i wouldnt have been able to make the game had it started earlier. the late start allowed me to finish my work and still make the drive from fort smith. i didnt mind getting home late, i was just appreciative of it starting late enough to allow me to make the drive, find parking and locate tickets for myself and my son. to whoever sold me the tickets in front of the arena, im sorry my tip wasnt larger because the seats you sold me were directly behind Corlis and his family.

ArmyOfnobunaga

• Varsity
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 04:58:59 pm »

All fans have sold their souls to television... mainly because as fans we never formed a union.

It is what it is.

Make bullet trains.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 05:04:02 pm »

Because the same fans would be griping that 6pm doesn't give them enough time to get off work and travel. There is no pleasing everybody and somebody is always gonna complain about something or another.

Mick Hogger

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 05:20:06 pm »

Being in LR, I wouldn't complain about 6pm games at all. I'd still get home before midnight.

And people wonder why some people start leaving when the game is decided.

regi

• We would owe Bert how much?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 05:33:59 pm »

If game is to late of a tip, do not go. Simple as that. They will fill the seats for Conference games as long as they win. I live on the East Coast. Game doesn't come on until 9pm. but I get a lot done (kids activities and all) and than I can watch a live Hog game on tv. Love it!

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 05:53:22 pm »

Living here in Tejas.. If I returned back to my home state and could make a game and still go to work the next day..

Mountain dew is always my friend..

GO HOGS

550 miles, 8 hours away, with a lot of stuff going on on Saturdays.  No way I could make a home game right now.  I'm thankful for SEC Network, even when the games are at 8:00.  At least I don't have to find a station on TuneIn or bug Jump Ball for links to a broadcast.  And, like it or not, ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

opineonswine

• Global Moderator
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 06:09:31 pm »

I applaud your effort.  A real fan.

bhshawgfan

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 07:21:53 pm »

Absolutely love the 8 oclock games. Makes living on the west coast even more enjoyable when I can catch the hog game after work

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 09:15:59 pm »

I'm BARELY in the eastern time zone, so a those are 9 o'clock games here. They get late just watching on TV. If its a good game, well then I'm keyed up and can't sleep. I need no other sleep issues, but if its staying up thinking about how we just whooped somebody's ass, so be it.

rtr

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 10:21:54 pm »

Bullet trains people... We must be the first state with them.
Really a good idea.

trav1021

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2015, 12:57:20 am »

6pm or 8pm, doesn't matter much to me because I will be in BWA no matter what.  Of course I live in Bentonville, so I'm home by 11.  What's worse than the 8pm start are those "fans" leaving with 7 minutes left in the game. I hate seeing this.  I can be on the interstate from my parking spot in 5 minutes after the game is over.

PennHOG

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2015, 06:12:15 am »

If game is to late of a tip, do not go. Simple as that. They will fill the seats for Conference games as long as they win. I live on the East Coast. Game doesn't come on until 9pm. but I get a lot done (kids activities and all) and than I can watch a live Hog game on tv. Love it!

I understand what you are saying but the games don't end until 11:30 or so and then I have trouble winding down to sleep (especially if it's a close one).   Getting at 5:30 the next morning is rough.  I need my beauty sleep.

Mick Hogger

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2015, 09:30:04 am »

6pm or 8pm, doesn't matter much to me because I will be in BWA no matter what.  Of course I live in Bentonville, so I'm home by 11.  What's worse than the 8pm start are those "fans" leaving with 7 minutes left in the game. I hate seeing this.  I can be on the interstate from my parking spot in 5 minutes after the game is over.

This "fan" didn't get home to LR until almost 1:30 and still had to unwind before going to sleep and go to work the next day. Don't judge people leaving unless you know their situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas