General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

Chris Bosh Re signs with the Heat 5 year $118 million dollars

Pages: (1/2) > >>

ThrillaHog:

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11204568/chris-bosh-miami-heat-finalizing-new-contract

Houston gets completely screwed...

McKdaddy:

This warms my heart, for really no rational reason.

Pork Twain:

Houston got screwed?

ThrillaHog:

--- Quote from: Pork Twain on July 11, 2014, 05:28:48 pm ---Houston got screwed?

--- End quote ---
They sent Jeremy Lin and a first round draft pick to the Lakers thinking Bosh would sign with them. Bosh signed with the Heat leaving their plans completely screwed. They may go after Chandler Parsons....

Dr. Starcs:

No sympathy for Houston. They landed harden and Howard last two off seasons. Build your franchise. But they do need to now re-sign parsons.

Kevin:

Heat got screwed. Bosh is not worth that

Hawg Red:

Houston didn't get screwed. Bret Hart got screwed. Houston took a risk and lost (it appears). Not entirely devoid of options yet, though.

TomasPistola:

Miami overpaid. They panicked.

Boston RedHogs:

--- Quote from: Kevin on July 11, 2014, 06:55:10 pm ---Heat got screwed. Bosh is not worth that

--- End quote ---

^This

-Blu:

My first thought when I seen this is Houston should make a hard push for Pau Gasol after missing out on Bosh. Only thing about that though, is Pau is 34, and he's declined a 2-year deal with the Lakers, I would be hesitant to give him anything past 2-years at that age, but being realistic, with OKC and Chicago really interested in Pau, it may take a 4-year contract that's at least 15 million a year to get him, because one of them may be willing to give him close to that or more and they've been on him longer.

Not getting Bosh was a HUGE loss for the rockets.  They've moved Asik and Lin with assumptions that they were making room for Bosh, and those 2 players that are fairly valuable.  Now if they aren't able to get someone of a Love/Bosh/Melo/Gasol quality they've lost 2 quality players and going to have to end up paying Parsons a little more than he's worth IMO.  It wouldn't have been so bad to pay Parsons that much knowing your keeping him and got another high caliber player to go along with it.

Hawg Red:

Lin can be replaced fairly easily. Asik, not so much. But if they match Parsons, they'll still have the MLE and a couple of other exceptions to use to upgrade their roster. But the core remains the same, and that might not be a bad thing. Houston's an extremely young team and guys like Parsons and Terrence Jones will keep getting better. Might be a blessing in disguise to "strike out." But losing Asik without getting a big fish is the only think that really hurts.

Dr. Starcs:

Just read that the bulls and spurs are now the front runners to land Gasol.

That would be a huge get for either. I could see him fitting in well with the international culture of the spurs. A little surprised okc isn't getting a serious look with fellow spaniard ibaka being there.

Big Nasty 34:

OKC doesn't have money to I don't think.

-Blu:

--- Quote from: Hawg Red on July 11, 2014, 09:34:42 pm ---Lin can be replaced fairly easily. Asik, not so much. But if they match Parsons, they'll still have the MLE and a couple of other exceptions to use to upgrade their roster. But the core remains the same, and that might not be a bad thing. Houston's an extremely young team and guys like Parsons and Terrence Jones will keep getting better. Might be a blessing in disguise to "strike out." But losing Asik without getting a big fish is the only think that really hurts.

--- End quote ---

I'm talking more about "value" than their actual contributions.  Lin has a nice "value" because he's a guy that can start and/or come off the bench and put up points.  Plus he's very popular in the Asian market, he's good for helping with merchandise sales and all that good stuff.  Houston basically just gave him away in order to quickly make room for Bosh.  He's a guy they could have held on to and maybe traded to the sixers or bucks or some other team that isn't going to be very good that needs to help fill some seats and get some scoring.  I'm sure they could have at least got some young pieces or future draft picks, instead they lost Lin and a draft pick, and all they got was cash consideration.

hoglady:

--- Quote from: Kevin on July 11, 2014, 06:55:10 pm ---Heat got screwed. Bosh is not worth that

--- End quote ---

Heat screwed themselves.
No sympathy.

husker71:

If Gasol gets to OKC watch out.  Ibaka to protect the rim so he can play out a little   his passing would give more wide open shots to KD and Rw  question is if RW would give up the ball a little more if he knew it was coming back to him in a more open shooting position   I have no doubt KD would love for the to get Gasol.

Dr. Starcs:

I think Gasol would get pretty frustrated with the lack of offensive complexity of okc.

jry04:

--- Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 11, 2014, 05:48:39 pm ---They sent Jeremy Lin and a first round draft pick to the Lakers thinking Bosh would sign with them. Bosh signed with the Heat leaving their plans completely screwed. They may go after Chandler Parsons....

--- End quote ---
May go after Parsons? They are going after Parsons...

The whole point of moving Lin was to help clear space to keep Parsons, not to get Bosh.

-Blu:

--- Quote from: jry04 on July 11, 2014, 11:22:32 pm ---May go after Parsons? They are going after Parsons...

The whole point of moving Lin was to help clear space to keep Parsons, not to get Bosh.

--- End quote ---

That's incorrect, they have Bird rights on Parson's they can sign him no matter what and go over the cap to keep if needed, there was no need to get rid of anyone to keep him.

They moved Lin to make room for the Bosh contract.  If Bosh would have signed with them, then they would have signed Parsons as well, because again, they have Bird rights on him they can go over the cap to keep him.

mboot:

The Spurs don't need to sign anyone. They just need to keep who they have. The East is evening themselves out if Carmelo doesn't sign with Chicago.

The_Bionic_Pig:

--- End quote ---

He has been taking pay cuts the last 4 season's....his loyalty is being rewarded.   We will probably add Luol Deng & Trevor Ariza to finish off our roster of starter's. ..

hoglady:

--- Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on July 12, 2014, 07:21:59 am ---He has been taking pay cuts the last 4 season's....his loyalty is being rewarded.   We will probably add Luol Deng & Trevor Ariza to finish off our roster of starter's. ..

--- End quote ---

Never looked at it that way but you are right.

jry04:

--- Quote from: -Blu on July 12, 2014, 12:08:10 am ---That's incorrect, they have Bird rights on Parson's they can sign him no matter what and go over the cap to keep if needed, there was no need to get rid of anyone to keep him.

They moved Lin to make room for the Bosh contract.  If Bosh would have signed with them, then they would have signed Parsons as well, because again, they have Bird rights on him they can go over the cap to keep him.

--- End quote ---
Regardless, they will match the offer sheet.

HF#1:

My god.  What were they thinking?  118 million?  Why give that to Bosh?  He's terrible.

CDBHawg:

--- End quote ---

Not really. Roughly 57.1 mil has to be spent this year. That's the minimum. Who else was available to sign that would make them a better team?

There wasn't a better player they were going to get other than Bosh after James left. It took the max to get him because of Houston's offer. In two to three years if Wade/Bosh aren't contending you then trade them like Boston did to Pierce/Garnett and rebuild.

CDBHawg:

--- Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on July 12, 2014, 07:21:59 am ---He has been taking pay cuts the last 4 season's....his loyalty is being rewarded.   We will probably add Luol Deng & Trevor Ariza to finish off our roster of starter's. ..

--- End quote ---

Get Deng and Ariza and you're not a bad team at all.

CDBHawg:

--- Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 12, 2014, 10:07:06 am ---My god.  What were they thinking?  118 million?  Why give that to Bosh?  He's terrible.

--- End quote ---

They were thinking let's compete in a weak eastern conference rather than rebuild with Shabazz Napier only.

Signing Bosh enables them to trade him and rebuild in a few years if they wish.

When did 16/6 and 19/8(career numbers) become terrible? His numbers will climb this year as well. Before he went to Miami he averaged over 20/10 for 5 straight seasons.

The_Bionic_Pig:

When Lebron isn't on the court his pts per game jumped up dramatically because he assumes the role of focal point of the Offense (runs through him)

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on July 12, 2014, 01:16:29 pm ---When Lebron isn't on the court his pts per game jumped up dramatically because he assumes the role of focal point of the Offense (runs through him)

--- End quote ---

The heat now need a board banger bad.  This would put Bosh in his natural stretch 4 position.  They have nappier who I think will be great and then they need a couple jump shooters. 

Bosh is not worth that contract though, funny thing if you think about it, bosh got more than James was ever offered by the heat.  Let that settle in. 

Dr. Starcs:

What did the heat offer James?

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 12, 2014, 01:46:53 pm ---What did the heat offer James?

--- End quote ---

We will never know, but it would not be 23+ by using context that was reported.  Heat weren't going to go into luxury tax, Lebron demanded wade and bosh stay, he wanted a max.  That would mean James's offer would be 20.7, wade and bosh somewhere together in the 30 mill range, giving them about 10 mil left to resign or sign new people(I.e. Allen or those two new guys)

I don't understand all this crap though.  Max salary is 20.7 I thought, yet Kobe and bosh are now more than that.  Bosh was give. A max offer by Houston but was less than the heat offered, so why is it called te max a player can earn in one year given his years in the league

CDBHawg:

--- Quote from: onebadrubi on July 12, 2014, 02:24:18 pm ---We will never know, but it would not be 23+ by using context that was reported.  Heat weren't going to go into luxury tax, Lebron demanded wade and bosh stay, he wanted a max.  That would mean James's offer would be 20.7, wade and bosh somewhere together in the 30 mill range, giving them about 10 mil left to resign or sign new people(I.e. Allen or those two new guys)

I don't understand all this crap though.  Max salary is 20.7 I thought, yet Kobe and bosh are now more than that.  Bosh was give. A max offer by Houston but was less than the heat offered, so why is it called te max a player can earn in one year given his years in the league

--- End quote ---

Max contract is 35% of salary cap or 105% of previous contract.

trashcan maN:

--- Quote from: HogFan#1 on July 12, 2014, 10:07:06 am ---My god.  What were they thinking?  118 million?  Why give that to Bosh?  He's terrible.

--- End quote ---
Bosh is a 9X All-Star who has gotten 19 pts and 9 rebounds over the course of his 11 year career.

If he makes a few more all star games, he'll probably be a hall of famer.

nwahogfan1:

--- Quote from: ThrillaHog on July 11, 2014, 05:17:13 pm ---http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11204568/chris-bosh-miami-heat-finalizing-new-contract

Houston gets completely screwed...

--- End quote ---

No Houston did fine because Bosh is no where worth that kind of money. 

CDBHawg:

--- Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 12, 2014, 05:39:08 pm ---No Houston did fine because Bosh is no where worth that kind of money.

--- End quote ---

No, but he's better than Ariza. Either way, Rockets were only signing one or the other.

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: -Blu on July 11, 2014, 10:13:11 pm ---I'm talking more about "value" than their actual contributions.  Lin has a nice "value" because he's a guy that can start and/or come off the bench and put up points.  Plus he's very popular in the Asian market, he's good for helping with merchandise sales and all that good stuff.  Houston basically just gave him away in order to quickly make room for Bosh.  He's a guy they could have held on to and maybe traded to the sixers or bucks or some other team that isn't going to be very good that needs to help fill some seats and get some scoring.  I'm sure they could have at least got some young pieces or future draft picks, instead they lost Lin and a draft pick, and all they got was cash consideration.

--- End quote ---

Well, trading Lin away allowed him to sign Ariza. He's no Bosh or Carmelo Anthony (or even Loul Deng), but he's better and more valuable than Jeremy Lin. So that is an upgrade. It was a gamble moving Asik and Lin with no guarantees but that's part of the game. I like Morey's gambling style. It's gotten him Harden and Dwight Howard so far. I figure they'll sign Ariza and then match Parsons. That's an upgrade on the wing. I wouldn't be shocked to see Terrence Jones average close to a double double this year (averaged 12 and 7 last year). If Minnesota waits until closer to the trade deadline to deal Love, a package starting with Parsons, Jones and the NO pick acquired for Asik could get them at the table (assuming Parsons and Jones continue to get better).

Also, Jeremy Lin's value as a money-maker (merchandise) has died down tremendously since his Linsanity New York days.

root_hawg:

Houston will get Gasol, which for that team is a better fit

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: root_hawg on July 12, 2014, 06:53:57 pm ---Houston will get Gasol, which for that team is a better fit

--- End quote ---

He's confirmed to be heading to Chicago.

cosmodrum:

My God that's a lot of money to play a kid's game.

root_hawg:

Well that will put Chicago in a good position

Dr. Starcs:

I doubt it helps all that much. Really all depends on rose and his health and I'm not sure you can count on that.

root_hawg:

Loved how Melo talked about winning championships and went back to NY for the $$$

HawgAdvocate:

--- Quote from: Hawg Red on July 12, 2014, 06:48:35 pm ---I figure they'll sign Ariza and then match Parsons.

--- End quote ---

I'll be surprised if they commit roughly $15 million/year in cap space to a good, but not great, player like Parsons (15.39 PER) each of the next three seasons. The 2015 NBA FA pool will offer better options.

root_hawg:

Who will be the big FA in 2015?

HawgAdvocate:

--- Quote from: root_hawg on July 12, 2014, 08:36:42 pm ---Who will be the big FA in 2015?

--- End quote ---

Rondo, Love, Leonard, Dragic, Young, Jefferson, etc

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 12, 2014, 09:00:54 pm ---Rondo, Love, Leonard, Dragic, Young, Jefferson, etc

--- End quote ---

Leonard surely won't hit free agency. And if he did, San Antonio would just match anything offered (would cost them less than extending him at the max).

HawgAdvocate:

--- Quote from: Hawg Red on July 12, 2014, 09:21:02 pm ---Leonard surely won't hit free agency. And if he did, San Antonio would just match anything offered (would cost them less than extending him at the max).

--- End quote ---

That'll also be when Parker, Ginobli, and Duncan become FAs. It'll be interesting to see what the '15-'16 Spurs look like.

Dr. Starcs:

Pretty amazing that the Spurs have done all they have in a small market and with only 1 lottery pick in the last 16 years.

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 12, 2014, 09:37:59 pm ---Pretty amazing that the Spurs have done all they have in a small market and with only 1 lottery pick in the last 16 years.

--- End quote ---

Helps when it's the best or second best lottery pick in that period of time, though.

OnTheHillHogFan:

--- Quote from: Hawg Red on July 12, 2014, 09:41:28 pm ---Helps when it's the best or second best lottery pick in that period of time, though.

--- End quote ---
2nd only behind Lebron

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version