• 10,412,470 Posts
• 411,497 Topics
• 23,508 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conference size?  (Read 619 times)

Hawghiggs

Conference size?
« on: June 28, 2014, 02:37:35 pm »

Would you prefer a conference of 10 programs that played a round robin schedule or do you prefer one with separate division and not play everyone each year?

zxbeer

• Senior
  • Win or lose still a fan!
Re: Conference size?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »

Like it the way it is.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GolfnHog

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:00:06 pm »

Keep it the current format but move Auburn to the East and Mizzou to the West. It keeps the sanctity of the Iron bowl without causing total reorganization

LRRandy

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 04:11:36 pm »

Would you prefer a conference of 10 programs that played a round robin schedule or do you prefer one with separate division and not play everyone each year?
an sec with 10 teams would likely mean an sec without Arkansas

ncrebel

• Senior
  • Don't touch the trim
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 04:47:34 pm »

I'm happy with the division setup; however the cross division rotation blows.  I would like to see a nine game conference schedule that allows us to play the east schools more often.

Also, losing Tennessee as a permanent east opponent really sucked.

Mike_e

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »

I'd rather have 16 teams with 4 divisions.  The winners of the two western and eastern divisions play a semifinal and then the two winners play the CCG.

Each team would play the three in their own division each year and one from each other division for a total of six conference games (note that four of the teams would play seven conference games and two would play eight) and six ooc games.

Each team would get to play every other team in the conference in a four year rotation and in a true conference playoff to determine a champion the conference should have no trouble getting a team into the national playoffs.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 05:21:37 pm »

I believe a ten team conference makes more sense than any other.  You play everyone annually.  You have 8 conference winners that go to the playoffs annually.  You allow every D1 team to practice until the last D1 game is played.  You allow every team to schedule 12 games and then the playoffs.  During the play offs, you allow non playoff and Bowl teams to schedule games among themselves as they see fit up to a season total of 15 games if they desire.  The current system helps the stronger get stronger and the weak get weaker.  It denies some pretty good teams from competing for anything on a National level with any hope of attaining it.

Hogtimes

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 05:35:21 pm »

Yeah I think 10 teams is ideal.  In footbsll every teams plays every other and you crown a true champion.   The schedule does not favor any team.   In basketball you play every other team home and home. 

I do not like divisions, because they are not always fair and equal

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 05:51:44 pm »

an sec with 10 teams would likely mean an sec without Arkansas

Augustus

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogs fan, and I don't do bandwagon.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »

I liked the current West/East setup of the SEC during the BCS era, with a Championship Game.

But, now that we have the playoff system, a Conf Championship game (or the Semi-Final playoff, depending on how you look at it) is one more game for any given team...  It's better for the fans, but harder on the players.

Even with the playoff system, I still like the SECCG.

JONAS

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 08:15:50 pm »

I liked it they way it was.  12 teams for each conference.  14 is too many.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 09:33:15 pm »

I'd rather have 16 teams with 4 divisions.  The winners of the two western and eastern divisions play a semifinal and then the two winners play the CCG.

Each team would play the three in their own division each year and one from each other division for a total of six conference games (note that four of the teams would play seven conference games and two would play eight) and six ooc games.

Each team would get to play every other team in the conference in a four year rotation and in a true conference playoff to determine a champion the conference should have no trouble getting a team into the national playoffs.

This would be pretty nice.  Would be cool if they made all conferences like this.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 09:47:53 pm »

Set up a sixteen team playoff just like NCAA basketball, composed of major conference champions and at large teams and play some damn football.  Use the existing BCS bowl games as round of eight venues.  Maybe add a northern and an eastern indoor venue for fairness sake and move the semifinals and finals around to different sites.

redeye

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 10:36:22 pm »

It was 10 teams before we joined, so I have no interest in that.  And IIRC, they didn't play a round-robin back then and I'm not sure they would in a 10-team SEC today, either.

I thought it was perfect before adding A&M, when we had 12 teams and separate divisions.  Specifically after 2002?, when we switched to a single cross-division opponent.  I think A&M was the best team to add, but I would have preferred not adding any teams.  The disparity between conference schedule difficulty is going to be huge in the future and I don't like that at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas