General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

With the Big names coming up in Free Agency in the NBA this year,

Pages: (1/2) > >>

1highhog:

Where do y'all see it all playing out?  The really big name Lebron James, where does he land?  Miami can't afford to keep the big 3 together after this year.  Houston is on the rise, but they don't have enough money under the salary cap to really make a huge move for a free agent.  The Lakers are horrible, and there's no way they land Lebron, he wants nothing to do with winning alongside Kobe.  So what do y'all think about as far as who might go where?

Dr. Starcs:

Lebron goes back to Cleveland.

1highhog:


--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 10, 2014, 06:16:46 pm ---Lebron goes back to Cleveland.

--- End quote ---

Hmmm, I've thought of this, but besides Irving, who do they have?  The Cleveland owner has never been willing it seems to really open up his pocketbook, and to get Lebron plus a couple more quality players, I just done see it.

husker71:

they better sign Irving 1st because LeBron will never go back without another all star or 2 on the roster.  They have wasted some high draft picks in the last 4 years otherwise they would be in a great position even without James.   Dan Gilbert  probably blew all hope of getting back LeBron ever in the 1st week after James signed with Heat.  Gilbert probably should have been quieter at that time.

Dr. Starcs:

They have Irving and this years number one pick.

Big Nasty 34:

I would love to see that

Boston RedHogs:

I long for the days when the poster children of the league were a Celtic, Laker, Piston, Bull, Knick, etc. for their careers.  Didn't need to go join forces with another star.  In fact, they would have just assume lose than win on a stacked team.

LeBron is phenomenal.  No debate from me on that one.  But his move to Miami, and how he went about it, will always place him a peg or two lower on my all-time list.

Dr. Starcs:

^^^^

Yep.

yraciv:

Lebron isn't going anywhere, at least not this offseason.  All the big 3 have player options, so they can all come back at relatively the same price.  Miami only has Birdman and Cole locked into contracts next year costing all of 3.6 million, so needless to say they have a lot of options.  I could see him leaving after 2015 when Wade continues aging and injuries may start taking more of a toll. The Mike Miller amnesty opened up some options.

Dirk, Pau, and maybe Melo are going to be the big name free agents.



Murr:

The Lakers would be complete fools to got go all in on Lebron.  Kobe's career is done.  It's time for a rebuild and if the Lakers don't at least try to get Lebron, then they'll just concede LA to the Clippers for the next ten years.

ErieHog:

All of the Big 3 are most likely going to opt-in, and I think it is reasonable to say that Dirk is going to stay in Dallas;  the real premium UFAs on the market are all at very different points in their career;   Pau is likely in search of his last big contract; Kyle Lowery is an emerging superstar who plays in NBA Nowheresville, and is going to get *paid*.   

The wild card is going to be Lance Stephenson-- he plays a position where quality NBA talent is at a premium.  Arguably, while being a 3rd or 4th option on his own team, he has grown into a Top 5 player at his position.     Is he a max guy?  Someone out there may well take that bet.   Say you are the Lakers, looking at at least one more year of absolute Hell, with your lottery pick, a recovering Kobe, and a cast otherwise yet to be assembled.  Why not offer Stevenson a 2 year $18 per deal?   You aren't in cap hell yet, and its not like you fear the luxury tax.  If you can roll over that contract into a longer term deal for under max money, as he continues to grow as a player with a bigger role, you can come out way ahead.

The RFA crop may have a few fascinating cats who will be available;  Evan Turner is the Pacers version of Lance Stephenson insurance-- he can expand his role, if the meager space the Pacers can scrape together isn't enough to bring Lance back.   Jordan Crawford could make a team like the Bobcats very happy.   Chandler Parsons is the poster child for  Pretty Darn Good NBA player,  but that no one seems sold on buying.    Most of the other higher profile RFAs are likely to resign, or to be dealt (see Bledsoe,  Monroe,  Hayward, Thomas)--  I just don't see a big splash here, just a bunch of guys who can turn a 8th seed into a 7th seed.

Guys who are going to sign for money that makes you do a double take this offseason, among UFAs:

Spencer Hawes and Trevor Ariza are going to demand a ton of money.

SixtySecondsOfPitino:

I'd jump all over Hawes. He's efficient, young, versatile, and steadily improving.

1highhog:


--- Quote from: Murr on June 11, 2014, 12:50:19 am ---The Lakers would be complete fools to got go all in on Lebron.  Kobe's career is done.  It's time for a rebuild and if the Lakers don't at least try to get Lebron, then they'll just concede LA to the Clippers for the next ten years.

--- End quote ---

Kobe has handcuffed the Lakers with his contract, so I don't see how the Lakers can go all in on a big free agent.  If so, the rest of the team would be nothing but scrubs.

latrops:


--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 10, 2014, 08:45:12 pm ---They have Irving and this years number one pick.

--- End quote ---

And last year's #1 pick, too.  Except that they picked Anthony Bennett, who managed to average 4 points a game on 35% shooting as a rookie.  I think Lebron left because he didn't trust management to build enough around him, and the last 4 years have pretty much proven him right.  I'd love to see him go back, but I'd be absolutely shocked if he did so this year.

1highhog:


--- Quote from: yraciv on June 11, 2014, 12:09:45 am ---Lebron isn't going anywhere, at least not this offseason.  All the big 3 have player options, so they can all come back at relatively the same price.  Miami only has Birdman and Cole locked into contracts next year costing all of 3.6 million, so needless to say they have a lot of options.  I could see him leaving after 2015 when Wade continues aging and injuries may start taking more of a toll. The Mike Miller amnesty opened up some options.

Dirk, Pau, and maybe Melo are going to be the big name free agents.



--- End quote ---

I disagree, I see Lebron leaving southbeach, he feels it's time to get paid.  He sacrificed a lot of money to play in the big three system in order to win Championships.  If he fails to win this years Championship, he can do the math.  Wade is going downhill fast, Bosh is not an elite player, their cast has always really hampered them, even though they've been to 4 straight Finals.  This Miami team is getting old, and I don't see James hanging around.

k.c.hawg:


--- Quote from: 1highhog on June 11, 2014, 06:47:58 am ---I disagree, I see Lebron leaving southbeach, he feels it's time to get paid.  He sacrificed a lot of money to play in the big three system in order to win Championships.  If he fails to win this years Championship, he can do the math.  Wade is going downhill fast, Bosh is not an elite player, their cast has always really hampered them, even though they've been to 4 straight Finals.  This Miami team is getting old, and I don't see James hanging around.

--- End quote ---

LeBron makes $45m a year in endorsements. Championships will make him more money than any NBA contract. The difference in what he makes on his team friendly deal in Miami and a max deal with another team is negligible as far as his overall earning power. He left $15m on the table on a 6 year deal and in the first 4 years of that he has made $150m in endorsements. He will have endorsement money coming in no matter where he plays but winning Championships and having face time in the Finals every year is keeping the phone ringing. Pat Riley knows this team will need an infusion and I suspect he will give it one somehow, someway to get everyone on board for 2015.

The_Iceman:

Most of the big names will stay where they are (Lebron, Melo, etc.)

Kevin Love will get traded to the Celtics for #6 and #17 picks, Jeff Green, and Jared Sullinger.

Gordon Hayward will sign with the Celtics to play for Brad Stevens, giving them a core of Rondo, Hayward, and Love.

Luo Deng will sign with the Hornets, who will draft either Nik Stauskas or Zach LaVine with the #9 pick.

Pau Gasol will sign with either Pheonix, the Bulls, or the Spurs.

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: The_Iceman on June 11, 2014, 08:42:05 am ---Most of the big names will stay where they are (Lebron, Melo, etc.)

Kevin Love will get traded to the Celtics for #6 and #17 picks, Jeff Green, and Jared Sullinger.

Gordon Hayward will sign with the Celtics to play for Brad Stevens, giving them a core of Rondo, Hayward, and Love.

Luo Deng will sign with the Hornets, who will draft either Nik Stauskas or Zach LaVine with the #9 pick.

Pau Gasol will sign with either Pheonix, the Bulls, or the Spurs.

--- End quote ---

I would think the Wolves would likely not take  #6 and #17;  they're more likely to want a future Nets pick from the Celtics, and drop the Jeff Green aspect to make it more palatable, possibly offering back dead salary to make the deal work out still.

As far as destinations go,  only the Suns of those 3 are likely to be able to offer Gasol more than about $11M a year without entering Tax Limbo, and doing so would cause other issues for teams with additional roster holes. 

I don't think LaVine will still be on the board by #9.

The_Bionic_Pig:


--- Quote from: Boston RedHogs on June 10, 2014, 09:11:50 pm ---I long for the days when the poster children of the league were a Celtic, Laker, Piston, Bull, Knick, etc. for their careers.  Didn't need to go join forces with another star.  In fact, they would have just assume lose than win on a stacked team.

LeBron is phenomenal.  No debate from me on that one.  But his move to Miami, and how he went about it, will always place him a peg or two lower on my all-time list.

--- End quote ---

Pat Riley built the Lakers the same way he did Miami what are you talking about?

yraciv:


--- Quote from: walkingtalkingenigma on June 11, 2014, 05:54:46 am ---I'd jump all over Hawes. He's efficient, young, versatile, and steadily improving.

--- End quote ---

Gortat is going  to be out there as well. That is the big I'd want.

The_Iceman:


--- Quote from: yraciv on June 11, 2014, 12:38:38 pm ---Gortat is going  to be out there as well. That is the big I'd want.

--- End quote ---

Gortat has been vastly underrated for the last 4-5 years now. At 7'0" and averaging 13 pts, 9.5 rebs, and 1.5 blks per game, he should get a nice contract this offseason.

1highhog:


--- Quote from: k.c.hawg on June 11, 2014, 08:04:08 am ---LeBron makes $45m a year in endorsements. Championships will make him more money than any NBA contract. The difference in what he makes on his team friendly deal in Miami and a max deal with another team is negligible as far as his overall earning power. He left $15m on the table on a 6 year deal and in the first 4 years of that he has made $150m in endorsements. He will have endorsement money coming in no matter where he plays but winning Championships and having face time in the Finals every year is keeping the phone ringing. Pat Riley knows this team will need an infusion and I suspect he will give it one somehow, someway to get everyone on board for 2015.

--- End quote ---

Evidently you haven't looked at the luxury tax that Miami will face, they can't keep their 3 stars together and DWade like Kobe has reached the end of his being a true top flight player, while Bosh never has been.  Pat Riley will want to keep Lebron true, but Lebron wants to be on a true title contending team, and next years team, even if it stayed the same, is not it.  Miami cannot add any more good talent to the team, so they are stuck.  Miami is going to have to deal some players away and try to lure some big talent in to play with Lebron, and I simply don't think they'll have the cash to do so.
Watch Chicago try and make a run at Lebron, in the end they won't have the money either, not without trading to many of their star talent away. 

yraciv:


--- Quote from: 1highhog on June 11, 2014, 06:47:58 am ---I disagree, I see Lebron leaving southbeach, he feels it's time to get paid.  He sacrificed a lot of money to play in the big three system in order to win Championships.  If he fails to win this years Championship, he can do the math.  Wade is going downhill fast, Bosh is not an elite player, their cast has always really hampered them, even though they've been to 4 straight Finals.  This Miami team is getting old, and I don't see James hanging around.

--- End quote ---

Yes 2 or 3 years down the road the Big 3 might not work, but as of now it is still working and with the amnesty of Miller and the few contracts on the book.  They could easily reload for another run next year.  This team is not worse than last year, the problem is the Spurs got better and Wade has played a lot less this season. 

Lebron has a great setup in Miami.   Yes Wade is on the decline, but he is still a damn effective wingman when he plays.  Bosh doesn't shoot as much as he used to for obvious reasons, but his FG% has gone up, and he has developed that jump shot, that is important to stretching the D for Lebron.  I don't know what they'll look like next season, but as long as solid old vets keep agreeing to go to south beach for a bargain to win a championship, it will be an ideal place to stay.

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: yraciv on June 11, 2014, 12:38:38 pm ---Gortat is going  to be out there as well. That is the big I'd want.

--- End quote ---

To me, it'd depend on the roster.  I would lean towards Hawes, but Gortat would be ideal for the right situation.

yraciv:


--- Quote from: 1highhog on June 11, 2014, 12:52:26 pm ---Evidently you haven't looked at the luxury tax that Miami will face, they can't keep their 3 stars together and DWade like Kobe has reached the end of his being a true top flight player, while Bosh never has been.  Pat Riley will want to keep Lebron true, but Lebron wants to be on a true title contending team, and next years team, even if it stayed the same, is not it.  Miami cannot add any more good talent to the team, so they are stuck.  Miami is going to have to deal some players away and try to lure some big talent in to play with Lebron, and I simply don't think they'll have the cash to do so.
Watch Chicago try and make a run at Lebron, in the end they won't have the money either, not without trading to many of their star talent away. 

--- End quote ---

You really are underestimating D Wade and Chris Bosh. So D Wade may be a step slower, but he has never shot 54% from the field like he did this season. Same for Bosh, who hasn't hit his decline yet, just has a different role playing 3rd wheel.  When you go over the Luxury Cap, you can still sign players they just have to be reduced to committing to the veteranís minimum, rookie deals, and whatís called the Mini mid-level exception ó about $3 million a season.  As long as the big 3 are still there, player's will crawl down there at bargains for that.

And the Luxury Cap is something like 72 mil.  They carried an 80.6 million team this season.  They've got 69.4 on the book, for 6 players, if all 4 player options are opted back in.  And it's possible that Haslem could opt out or they could restructure contracts again.  It's never been about the money with Lebron and Wade. They've got endorsements for that.


1highhog:


--- Quote from: yraciv on June 11, 2014, 01:07:19 pm ---You really are underestimating D Wade and Chris Bosh. So D Wade may be a step slower, but he has never shot 54% from the field like he did this season. Same for Bosh, who hasn't hit his decline yet, just has a different role playing 3rd wheel.  When you go over the Luxury Cap, you can still sign players they just have to be reduced to committing to the veteranís minimum, rookie deals, and whatís called the Mini mid-level exception ó about $3 million a season.  As long as the big 3 are still there, player's will crawl down there at bargains for that.

And the Luxury Cap is something like 72 mil.  They carried an 80.6 million team this season.  They've got 69.4 on the book, for 6 players, if all 4 player options are opted back in.  And it's possible that Haslem could opt out or they could restructure contracts again.  It's never been about the money with Lebron and Wade. They've got endorsements for that.


--- End quote ---

We will see, to me, it's refreshing to see players make less for the benefit of the team so that the team as a whole can be better in order to chase what many are after, Championships.  Reminds me of MJ, Jordan always took far less so as to make sure he could be surrounded with the role players you need in order to win.  Then you have Kobe that has handicapped the Lakers by his contract, it's the Lakers fault as well, but Kobe wants to be surrounded with good players yet with his salary being as high as it is, he refuses to give up any to make his team a legit contender.  As long as Kobe is on the Lakers, the Lakers will be stuck looking up at the Clippers in La La land.

Breems:

Too bad Ronnie Brewer isn't in the mix, or I'd be paying attention.

Was anyone else aware that he was charged for a DUI recently?

1highhog:


--- Quote from: Breems on June 11, 2014, 06:28:26 pm ---Too bad Ronnie Brewer isn't in the mix, or I'd be paying attention.

Was anyone else aware that he was charged for a DUI recently?

--- End quote ---


I wasn't aware that Ronnie had been charged.  By the way Breems, I had already mentioned Brewer Jr., along with his old man.  I had talked about them in another thread as a rebuttal to another poster, saying that I'm sure if you asked them, they would be happy to tell you they have enjoyed being Razorback Pro players that made it and enjoy bring recognized as such.  Sorry I haven't yet talked about him in this one.   ;)



k.c.hawg:


--- Quote from: 1highhog on June 11, 2014, 12:52:26 pm ---Evidently you haven't looked at the luxury tax that Miami will face, they can't keep their 3 stars together and DWade like Kobe has reached the end of his being a true top flight player, while Bosh never has been.  Pat Riley will want to keep Lebron true, but Lebron wants to be on a true title contending team, and next years team, even if it stayed the same, is not it.  Miami cannot add any more good talent to the team, so they are stuck.  Miami is going to have to deal some players away and try to lure some big talent in to play with Lebron, and I simply don't think they'll have the cash to do so.
Watch Chicago try and make a run at Lebron, in the end they won't have the money either, not without trading to many of their star talent away. 

--- End quote ---

Probably won't happen but in today's sports world the teams that are on top always seem to find a way to prolong their run another year or two or 3.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/11068709/miami-heat-discussing-options-target-carmelo-anthony-free-agency

rusvegashog:

I absolutely think he goes back to Cleveland. With Irving, wiggins and Lebron James. Forget about it.

root_hawg:

Lebrun just made $30 mill just from his interest with Beats headphones

jry04:


--- Quote from: 1highhog on June 11, 2014, 06:47:58 am ---I disagree, I see Lebron leaving southbeach, he feels it's time to get paid.  He sacrificed a lot of money to play in the big three system in order to win Championships.  If he fails to win this years Championship, he can do the math.  Wade is going downhill fast, Bosh is not an elite player, their cast has always really hampered them, even though they've been to 4 straight Finals.  This Miami team is getting old, and I don't see James hanging around.

--- End quote ---
Meanwhile, the word is the exact opposite of this. He makes plenty in Miami, and is willing to take less to continue to win there. He has made 4 straight Finals, and won 2 of them. He wants to win. He is set financially. Cleveland was not near as committed to putting pieces around him as Miami is.

root_hawg:

Wade retire or take much less; Lebron and Bosh rework deal and bring in Kevin Love

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: root_hawg on June 14, 2014, 09:22:32 pm ---Wade retire or take much less; Lebron and Bosh rework deal and bring in Kevin Love

--- End quote ---

Wade isn't walking away from $40 million;  they simply lack any trade-worthy assets to acquire Kevin Love, and Minnesota will sell him before they let him hit the open market.    Melo is by far a more realistic option.

root_hawg:

Kevin Love can walk this year.

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: root_hawg on June 14, 2014, 10:10:29 pm ---Kevin Love can walk this year.

--- End quote ---

No, he can't walk until after next season.   

A refresher on his contract, can be found at the bottom:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01.html

hvsupastar:


--- Quote from: rusvegashog on June 14, 2014, 01:20:00 am ---I absolutely think he goes back to Cleveland. With Irving, wiggins and Lebron James. Forget about it.

--- End quote ---

Cleveland had the #1 pick last year and didn't draft a top 10 player. So I wouldn't be surprised if they took Doug McDermott or someone like that

yraciv:


--- Quote from: hvsupastar on June 14, 2014, 10:41:44 pm ---Cleveland had the #1 pick last year and didn't draft a top 10 player. So I wouldn't be surprised if they took Doug McDermott or someone like that

--- End quote ---

True story! McDermott, Stauskas, Adrian Payne, & a couple others have been training at my gym for the last month for the draft.  They all look Top 10 pick worthy to me, but what do I know. Honestly I don't think McDermott will be a bust per say, he'll at least be a Kyle Korver equivalent.  I do question how much potential is left though being a coach's kid and all.

hvsupastar:


--- Quote from: ErieHog on June 14, 2014, 10:40:11 pm ---No, he can't walk until after next season.   

A refresher on his contract, can be found at the bottom:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01.html

--- End quote ---

Being a ucla guy don't be surprised if Love is back in Hollywood before long

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: hvsupastar on June 15, 2014, 07:23:31 am ---Being a ucla guy don't be surprised if Love is back in Hollywood before long

--- End quote ---

The league would certainly like it if he and Durant were Lakers in 3 years.



hvsupastar:


--- Quote from: ErieHog on June 15, 2014, 10:52:53 am ---The league would certainly like it if he and Durant were Lakers in 3 years.



--- End quote ---

I've never thought of that. I've always thought it would be Westbrook and Love having a ucla reunion. That'd be interesting though

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: hvsupastar on June 15, 2014, 11:01:24 am ---I've never thought of that. I've always thought it would be Westbrook and Love having a ucla reunion. That'd be interesting though

--- End quote ---

Contract timing is the difference, to me;  Westbrook might be able to return to the Lakers, but it would be a year later-- and I think that he's got the sort of mentality to where, if he can earn max money and try to prove himself as The Guy,  he might do that.    I think it'd be a case of Durant beating him to the spot.

Dr. Starcs:


--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on June 10, 2014, 06:16:46 pm ---Lebron goes back to Cleveland.

--- End quote ---



Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 11, 2014, 12:32:48 pm ---

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

--- End quote ---

Great call, there.

Dr. Starcs:

I have to take a victory lap, right?  It's not often that I get one right. Lol

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 11, 2014, 12:47:31 pm ---I have to take a victory lap, right?  It's not often that I get one right. Lol

--- End quote ---

Take two!   You called it.

HiggiePiggy:

So where is Kevin Love going?

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on July 11, 2014, 02:31:18 pm ---So where is Kevin Love going?

--- End quote ---

Hopefully to Cleveland.   I think they'd give up Wiggins and another asset for him.

Boston RedHogs:


--- Quote from: The_Iceman on June 11, 2014, 12:49:42 pm ---Gortat has been vastly underrated for the last 4-5 years now. At 7'0" and averaging 13 pts, 9.5 rebs, and 1.5 blks per game, he should get a nice contract this offseason.

--- End quote ---


Really??  I don't seem to remember Kareem, Magic, and Worthy joining forces in LA after being on 3 different teams...

Boston RedHogs:


--- Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on June 11, 2014, 09:50:35 am ---Pat Riley built the Lakers the same way he did Miami what are you talking about?

--- End quote ---


Really??  I don't seem to remember Kareem, Magic, and Worthy joining forces in LA after being on 3 different teams...

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version