General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

NBA Playoff Time

Pages: (1/6) > >>

downsouthhawg72:

Ok, the regular season is over & now it's time for the rough & tough playoffs to start. What team do you all think might pull the upset in the 1st round & who wins it all. I think the Blazers end it for Houston & the Spurs win it all, they been the best team all year.

hvsupastar:

I'll take warriors, Blazers, Nets as my first round upsets. I'll take Heat in 7 over Spurs like last year

popcornhog:

--- Quote from: EASYBONE1 on April 16, 2014, 11:01:18 pm ---Ok, the regular season is over & now it's time for the rough & tough playoffs to start. What team do you all think might pull the upset in the 1st round & who wins it all. I think the Blazers end it for Houston & the Spurs win it all, they been the best team all year.

--- End quote ---

The West is so good from top to bottom.

The Grizz are going to be an incredibly tough first round out for OKC.

Don't get me wrong, OKC should be favored. But if the Grizz had been healthy all year (like they are now), they'd be a 4 or 3 seed. This team was nearly in the NBA finals last year.

They can D up Durant and Westbrook as well as anyone (which is relative, I know).

MatCauthon:

--- Quote from: EASYBONE1 on April 16, 2014, 11:01:18 pm ---Ok, the regular season is over & now it's time for the rough & tough playoffs to start. What team do you all think might pull the upset in the 1st round & who wins it all. I think the Blazers end it for Houston & the Spurs win it all, they been the best team all year.

--- End quote ---

Spurs are always the best team in the regular season. They won't win the title though, last year was their final chance with their "big 3" IMO and  Ray Allen ruined that. But I don't think any series in the West should be considered an upset if the lower seed wins. Sure by seeding it is but all those teams are quality. Memphis is only so low because Gasol was out for like 20 games and they suck without him.  Well if Golden State beats the Clippers I'll consider it an upset since Bogut will be out for the series.

Hawg Red:

As a Rocket fan, definitely not looking past Portland. That series could go either way. Should be a good one.

I'm also looking forward to the Warriors/Clippers series, though it blows that Bogut fractured a rib right before the playoffs. Should be a high-scorig affair.

Not really a whole lot to look forward to in the East. Hope the Nets go far for Joe's sake. Kind of interested to see what the Raptors and Bobcats do in the playoffs, too. So I guess I'm most looking forward to the Raptors/Nets series (did I just say that?).

popcornhog:

--- Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2014, 09:29:05 am ---As a Rocket fan, definitely not looking past Portland. That series could go either way. Should be a good one.

I'm also looking forward to the Warriors/Clippers series, though it blows that Bogut fractured a rib right before the playoffs. Should be a high-scorig affair.

Not really a whole lot to look forward to in the East. Hope the Nets go far for Joe's sake. Kind of interested to see what the Raptors and Bobcats do in the playoffs, too. So I guess I'm most looking forward to the Raptors/Nets series (did I just say that?).

--- End quote ---

There's often a random team that I like in a given year. This year, the Raptors are that team.

Other than that, I'm a Grizz fan first and foremost. OKC should win that series but it seriously sucks for the Thunder that they've got to play a team that is much better than 7 quality.

So my favorite teams this year are:

1) Grizz
2) Raptors
3) Heat (just because I think the LeBron haters are idiots and I like seeing them cry).

The West is gonna be fun to watch. There are 8 very good teams. I like the Thunder to win it, but literally any of those teams is good enough to win it all.

I look for the Pacers to be the most disappointing team of the playoffs. The Wichita State of the NBA playoffs, if you will.

trashcan maN:

Surprise team that could win it all - Clippers

Likely finals matchup - Thunder/Heat (would probably get highest ratings since Jordan era)

My pick to win it all - Thunder. It's Durant's time. The Spurs aren't athletic enough for the Thunder. Thunder have toughest road to Western Finals.

Upset Pick - Look for IND to get knocked off in the 2nd round

Best 1st round matchup - Portland/Houston. I'm taking Houston.

Hawg Red:

If Houston gets bounced, I'll be pulling for Durant to a get a ring. There is not a more deserving player in the league without one right now.

popcornhog:

--- Quote from: Hawg Red on April 17, 2014, 10:47:27 am ---If Houston gets bounced, I'll be pulling for Durant to a get a ring. There is not a more deserving player in the league without one right now.

--- End quote ---

Very true. If OKC stays together they'll definitely win one in the next 2-3 years. The Heat need D Wade and I don't know how much time he has left.

In the West, the Spurs can't last forever, right?

Hell, who knows? LeBron has made it clear that winning is more important than money to him (unlike Kobe). Maybe LeBron will team up with Durant one day.

apcapri:

If the Rockets get past Portland I think they'll take out SA too. OKC & Houston in the West finals.

Big Nasty 34:

Should have a round by round pick em or something!

ErieHog:

It is hard to see a scenario that isn't OKC-Miami in the Finals right now;  it would take a truly odd set of outcomes for even a flagging Pacers team to not square off against Miami in the ECF, and every aspirant in the West has some serious problems with beating out OKC, if the teams are healthy-- the Spurs are the best matchup,  but also are very susceptible to being bounced before the WCF.

I think it'll be an entertaining Finals, but barring a pretty serious injury,  I will take the Heat over the Thunder in 6, on the premise they can continue to save Wade for the biggest moments, and will get a lot less 1st and 2nd round playoff wear and tear.

popcornhog:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on April 17, 2014, 12:26:51 pm ---It is hard to see a scenario that isn't OKC-Miami in the Finals right now;  it would take a truly odd set of outcomes for even a flagging Pacers team to not square off against Miami in the ECF, and every aspirant in the West has some serious problems with beating out OKC, if the teams are healthy-- the Spurs are the best matchup,  but also are very susceptible to being bounced before the WCF.

I think it'll be an entertaining Finals, but barring a pretty serious injury,  I will take the Heat over the Thunder in 6, on the premise they can continue to save Wade for the biggest moments, and will get a lot less 1st and 2nd round playoff wear and tear.

--- End quote ---

Seriously?

OKC is my pick as well, but come on, man!

The Grizz are good enough to have a small but realistic shot at beating them in the first round. Not to mention the Spurs.

There are 9 teams in the West that would've easily finished 3rd in the east. Any one of those teams is good enough to get to the finals.

hawgwild child:

The Grizz at home aint no joke.  I'll be going for the winner of the Warriors or Clips, I think the west takes it easy this year.  As a fan of the Phoenix Suns I cant help at shake my head how awful the East is and what a shame it is that Phoenix cant even compete in the playoffs after wining 48 games

hawgwild child:

Don't be surprised if Brooklyn makes some noise in the East either, since the All Star break they have been tough and swept the Heat in regular season

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: popcornhog on April 17, 2014, 07:29:23 pm ---Seriously?

OKC is my pick as well, but come on, man!

The Grizz are good enough to have a small but realistic shot at beating them in the first round. Not to mention the Spurs.

There are 9 teams in the West that would've easily finished 3rd in the east. Any one of those teams is good enough to get to the finals.

--- End quote ---

Seriously.  I'll be surprised if the OKC-Memphis series even goes 6 games.

Hogz87:

The Thunder are the only non-Arkansas sports team I get as fanatical about as the Hogs.  Guess I get close with the Braves and Colts, but they're just not on the same level for me for some reason.  Maybe it's because the Thunder are more "local", and because I can actually make it to a Thunder game or two or three every season and get every Thunder game on a TV station without having to buy League Pass (although I buy it anyway).  Whatever it is, I live and die with the Thunder to about the same extent as I do the Hogs.  And given Arkansas' recent lack of success in football and basketball, I've actually probably become more vested in the Thunder.  Over the last four seasons I haven't missed more than 3-5 regular season games each season -- soa bout 12-15 in total). 

Anyway, I'm a little nervous about the Grizzlies but I do think we'll win that series in 6.  They present match-up problems, sure, but it is what it is.  Dallas, for several reasons, would've worried me more than the Grizzlies.  Dirk has had a "turn back the clock" season and has been magnificent; Monta Ellis is a Westbrook-lite in that with his incredible speed and quickness he puts a ton of pressure on your defense even when his shots aren't falling; they've got shooters to spread the floor and if the regular season is any indicator those shooters never miss when they play the Thunder.  I don't know, they just present more match-up problems to OKC than the Grizzlies do in my opinion.

I think the 1/8 and 2/7 match-ups worked out well for the Spurs and Thunder.  The Spurs match-up better with the Mavs than OKC does, and I think the Thunder match-up better with the Grizzlies than the Spurs.  I know the Spurs swept the Grizzlies last year in the WCF, but every game went down to the wire and two of them went into OT. 

Really excited that the playoffs are here and I really hope Durant can cap-off his amazing MVP season with a championship and Finals MVP.  While I still think LeBron's A game is better than Durant's A game, Durant was the best player in the league this year and it'd be nice to see him get his first ring at 25 years old.  But if they meet Miami in the Finals, I'm just not sure I see it happening.  OKC matches up better with the Spurs and Pacers than the Heat, but the Heat are the worst possible match-up for the Thunder.  But given how awful the Pacers were down the stretch, I don't expect OKC to see anyone else in the Finals but the Heat if they are able to get through the loaded West. 

I'd be really excited about the Clippers/Warriors series if Bogut wasn't hurt, but I don't think the Clippers will have too many problems, now.  No Bogut completely changes the Warriors defensively.  Should be some high scoring games, but I expect the Clippers to win in 5 or 6.  A part of me was kind of hoping OKC would end up falling to the 3-seed because I thought the Warriors (without Bogut) would be an easier first round opponent that the Grizzlies or Mavs.  But, at the same time, I'd probably rather them have HCA in round two so I'm ultimately glad it worked out the way it did. 

Hawg Red:

Just saw Nick Calathes has been suspended for 20 games for a supplement he used. Huge blow to the Grizz to lose their back-up PG right before the playoffs start. That Beno Udrih pick-up will have to come through for them here.

chiefhawg:

I like the play cannot take Jalen Rose and Bill Simmons.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya:

Dirk's going to put the Mavs on his back and upset the hated Spurs!!

Dr. Starcs:

Are you gonna man up if/when that prediction doesn't happen?

--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 19, 2014, 07:33:48 pm ---Are you gonna man up if/when that prediction doesn't happen?

--- End quote ---

Not a prediction...more like a prayer...

Dr. Starcs:

Lol. Ok

CDBHawg:

Heat in 7 over Thunder.

I've been watching today, and this is some of the ugliest basketball I've ever seen.

Only thing that has made watching bearable was the comeback by Memphis.

Turnovers, missed free throws, driving to the basket out of control, phantom fouls..

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: Notshavin on April 19, 2014, 10:35:42 pm ---I've been watching today, and this is some of the ugliest basketball I've ever seen.

--- End quote ---

I'm going to have to come in at some point again; the problem isn't the basketball-- the basketball is just fine.

Dr. Starcs:

Don't worry notshavin. The spurs play today :)

popcornhog:

--- Quote from: Hogz87 on April 18, 2014, 03:57:09 pm ---The Thunder are the only non-Arkansas sports team I get as fanatical about as the Hogs.  Guess I get close with the Braves and Colts, but they're just not on the same level for me for some reason.  Maybe it's because the Thunder are more "local", and because I can actually make it to a Thunder game or two or three every season and get every Thunder game on a TV station without having to buy League Pass (although I buy it anyway).  Whatever it is, I live and die with the Thunder to about the same extent as I do the Hogs.  And given Arkansas' recent lack of success in football and basketball, I've actually probably become more vested in the Thunder.  Over the last four seasons I haven't missed more than 3-5 regular season games each season -- soa bout 12-15 in total). 

Anyway, I'm a little nervous about the Grizzlies but I do think we'll win that series in 6.  They present match-up problems, sure, but it is what it is.  Dallas, for several reasons, would've worried me more than the Grizzlies.  Dirk has had a "turn back the clock" season and has been magnificent; Monta Ellis is a Westbrook-lite in that with his incredible speed and quickness he puts a ton of pressure on your defense even when his shots aren't falling; they've got shooters to spread the floor and if the regular season is any indicator those shooters never miss when they play the Thunder.  I don't know, they just present more match-up problems to OKC than the Grizzlies do in my opinion.

I think the 1/8 and 2/7 match-ups worked out well for the Spurs and Thunder.  The Spurs match-up better with the Mavs than OKC does, and I think the Thunder match-up better with the Grizzlies than the Spurs.  I know the Spurs swept the Grizzlies last year in the WCF, but every game went down to the wire and two of them went into OT. 

Really excited that the playoffs are here and I really hope Durant can cap-off his amazing MVP season with a championship and Finals MVP.  While I still think LeBron's A game is better than Durant's A game, Durant was the best player in the league this year and it'd be nice to see him get his first ring at 25 years old.  But if they meet Miami in the Finals, I'm just not sure I see it happening.  OKC matches up better with the Spurs and Pacers than the Heat, but the Heat are the worst possible match-up for the Thunder.  But given how awful the Pacers were down the stretch, I don't expect OKC to see anyone else in the Finals but the Heat if they are able to get through the loaded West. 

I'd be really excited about the Clippers/Warriors series if Bogut wasn't hurt, but I don't think the Clippers will have too many problems, now.  No Bogut completely changes the Warriors defensively.  Should be some high scoring games, but I expect the Clippers to win in 5 or 6.  A part of me was kind of hoping OKC would end up falling to the 3-seed because I thought the Warriors (without Bogut) would be an easier first round opponent that the Grizzlies or Mavs.  But, at the same time, I'd probably rather them have HCA in round two so I'm ultimately glad it worked out the way it did.

--- End quote ---

How can you not be a Grizz fan? They're damn near in Arkansas -- and you love our heated rivals?!

Blasphemy!

I kid, there's a lot to like about the Thunder. Still, grit, grind bitch.

Dr. Starcs:

Mavs making a good showing today.

*edit. And boom goes the dynamite

hawgwild child:

Thought they would hold on when they got up by 10, they went in like a 4-5 min scoring drought.  Its always huge to split that first two away games if your the road team

hoglady:

I'm pulling for OKC, Fisher is supposed to retire when the season ends. I know the players are trying to talk him out of it, but I bet this will be his last season

--- Quote from: hoglady on April 20, 2014, 09:15:47 pm ---I'm pulling for OKC, Fisher is supposed to retire when the season ends. I know the players are trying to talk him out of it, but I bet this will be his last season

--- End quote ---

Who'd a thought, from little ol' UALR...

ErieHog:

Today sort of was a microcosm of why I don' t see Memphis challenging OKC seriously;  they don't have crunch time scoring, and they don't get markedly more effective defensively in crunch time situations.   It isn't to say they aren't good-- they just lack that take-over element at the end of close games.

rzrbackramsfan:

--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 20, 2014, 02:07:30 pm ---Mavs making a good showing today.

*edit. And boom goes the dynamite

--- End quote ---

Yea they are terrible late in games. I won't get excited for that w till it's official.

P bev is having a huge impact in his game tonight and definitely will continue to be a factor over the series guarding lillard

rzrbackramsfan:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on April 20, 2014, 10:49:03 pm ---Today sort of was a microcosm of why I don' t see Memphis challenging OKC seriously;  they don't have crunch time scoring, and they don't get markedly more effective defensively in crunch time situations.   It isn't to say they aren't good-- they just lack that take-over element at the end of close games.

--- End quote ---

Yea next game they know they just need to pound it inside all game.  Memphis realized that too late in game 1 and Randolph got in foul trouble.  I don't see them winning though either.

onebadrubi:

Pbev is having a huge impact in the game tonight! 

Portland and Houston still battling it out right now..

What a block by Beverly!

But then he fouls out giving up an "And 1"...

rzrbackramsfan:

--- Quote from: Notshavin on April 20, 2014, 11:55:11 pm ---What a block by Beverly!

--- End quote ---

Yea he could contain Lillard for only so long on that possession. 

thebignasty:

He gets under dudes skin.  Arkansas bball would have been more fun if he could've stuck around.

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: Notshavin on April 20, 2014, 11:55:11 pm ---What a block by Beverly!

--- End quote ---

From the replay it looked like he never touched the guy?  Did I miss an angle?  Also Howard got called on a BS 6th foul. 

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 21, 2014, 12:01:25 am ---He gets under dudes skin.  Arkansas bball would have been more fun if he could've stuck around.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: onebadrubi on April 21, 2014, 12:28:25 am ---From the replay it looked like he never touched the guy?  Did I miss an angle?  Also Howard got called on a BS 6th foul. 

--- End quote ---

Agreed on both.

It didn't look like he got much of him, but unless he gets the ball like he did on the first one, they are going to call it.

The 2nd play Beverly should have just played him straight up.

Imminent Rueage:

--- Quote from: Notshavin on April 20, 2014, 09:20:39 pm ---Who'd a thought, from little ol' UALR...

--- End quote ---

There's a silly segment of Lakers fans who are clamoring for him to be the next head coach when 'Antoni(No D) is shown the door.

hoglady:

--- Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 21, 2014, 01:18:19 am ---There's a silly segment of Lakers fans who are clamoring for him to be the next head coach when 'Antoni(No D) is shown the door.

--- End quote ---

Actually, the announcers were talking the other night during the OKC game that his name is being mentioned for the Knicks job (Steve Kerr is being talked about for the job, too). They were giving Fish lots of love - great teammate, real leader on and off the floor, clutch shooter, great defender and someone who can run your team for you.

Fatty McGee:

I know we are supposed to love him because he's an Arkansas guy, but these last few years as he's slowed significantly his game's gotten pretty heavy on the grabbing and cheap shots on defense.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 21, 2014, 08:28:09 am ---I know we are supposed to love him because he's an Arkansas guy, but these last few years as he's slowed significantly his game's gotten pretty heavy on the grabbing and cheap shots on defense.

--- End quote ---

Fisher was a defensive liability 5 years ago.    That he's still contributing to a contender is nothing short of remarkable.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on April 21, 2014, 08:30:20 am ---Fisher was a defensive liability 5 years ago.    That he's still contributing to a contender is nothing short of remarkable.

--- End quote ---

I'm not saying he's not still contributing - he's fine on a second unit to bring the ball up and hit the occasional open 3.  I just don't enjoy watching him play anymore because of all the cheap shots and whining on defense. 

But we'll always have this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdZHffwOF8

--- Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 21, 2014, 08:37:48 am ---I'm not saying he's not still contributing - he's fine on a second unit to bring the ball up and hit the occasional open 3.  I just don't enjoy watching him play anymore because of all the cheap shots and whining on defense. 

But we'll always have this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdZHffwOF8

--- End quote ---

That warms my heart to see that look on the Spurs' faces...

Dr. Starcs:

I'm sure that look was more to their own clock operator. No way that shot (should have) got off in time.

But it's ok, the spurs have plenty of titles to help console themselves. Lol

Pages: (1/6) > >>

Go to full version