General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

Beverly is acting like he's proud of having hurt a superstar

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Hawgfan5:

In tonight's game he acted like he was proud of his role of having hurt a big time NBA player when he got in Westbrook's face. I usually have hog colored glasses, but Beverly needs to act like he's been in the big leagues before. Right now he's acting like a want to be and it's tasteless.

popcornhog:

I totally disagree. He'd have a place on the bench of the 89-90 Pistons.

Trm123:

Def not the case he just plays like he isn't scared of any player and not going to let "superstars" do whatever they want. He annoys them and doesn't treat them like they are superstars.

Iwastherein1969:

--- Quote from: Hawgfan5 on March 12, 2014, 01:16:39 am ---In tonight's game he acted like he was proud of his role of having hurt a big time NBA player when he got in Westbrook's face. I usually have hog colored glasses, but Beverly needs to act like he's been in the big leagues before. Right now he's acting like a want to be and it's tasteless.

--- End quote ---
couldn't disagree more....the NBA is a yearly game of "pecking order" and if you treat teams that are supposedly better than you like royalty, they'll just roll right over you in the playoffs....all Beverly was doing was letting Westbrook know he was going nowhere....you must be playing too much golf because you think there should be etiquette in basketball, etiquette will happen in the NBA the same day it occurs in the NHL

IronMountainHog:

Superstar? That term gets tossed around too liberally. There are may be a handful of superstars in the NBA, but Westbrook ain't one. Durant yes, Kobe yes, LeBron yes, Westbrook no.

twistitup:

--- Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 12, 2014, 06:14:07 am ---Superstar? That term gets tossed around too liberally. There are may be a handful of superstars in the NBA, but Westbrook ain't one. Durant yes, Kobe yes, LeBron yes, Westbrook no.

--- End quote ---

Westbrook is up there....the league has more than 3 top players

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 12, 2014, 06:14:07 am ---Superstar? That term gets tossed around too liberally. There are may be a handful of superstars in the NBA, but Westbrook ain't one. Durant yes, Kobe yes, LeBron yes, Westbrook no.

--- End quote ---

Westbrook is arguably one of the five or six best players in the league.   Superstar is the right term.

Beaverfever:

--- End quote ---
Westbrook is the third best player in the NBA when healthy IMO.  Unbelievable player. 

RazorPiggie:

--- Quote from: Beaverfever on March 12, 2014, 07:14:42 am ---Westbrook is the third best player in the NBA when healthy IMO.  Unbelievable player. 

--- End quote ---

IDK about 3rd but definitely top 3 at his position whether it be as a SG or PG.

McKdaddy:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 12, 2014, 06:56:59 am ---Westbrook is arguably one of the five or six best players in the league.   Superstar is the right term.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. He's no worse than a top-10 player in the league. A superstar indeed.

McKdaddy:

--- Quote from: popcornhog on March 12, 2014, 01:19:40 am ---He'd have a place on the bench of the 89-90 Pistons.

--- End quote ---

Agreed

McKdaddy:

--- Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on March 12, 2014, 03:21:08 am ---the NBA is a yearly game of "pecking order" and if you treat teams that are supposedly better than you like royalty, they'll just roll right over you in the playoffs....all Beverly was doing was letting Westbrook know he was going nowhere

--- End quote ---

Agreed. PV simply lets him know it isn't going to be an easy night.

IronMountainHog:

How many times has he been on the All-Star 1st team?  I'll answer. Zero

-Blu:

I agree the term superstar does get used loosely.  Westbrook is more of an All-Star than a superstar. I can name at least 10 guys off the top of my head that would be considered superstars before Westbrook.

Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Nowitzski, Carmelo, Chris Paul, Paul George, James Harden, Dwight Howard, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose (when healthy), Stephen Curry , and Dwayne Wade (when healthy).  These guys are superstars, and have all proven that by carrying teams and just reaching a ridiculous level.  Westbrook is a very good player, but superstar, that's pushing it, until he can take the Thunder to the next level, and show he can carry the team when Durant is struggling.

The next tier of All-Stars would be guys like Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Chris Bosh, LeMarcus Aldridge etc.

YouCrawl_IQuall:

Russell Westbrook isn't even a top 10 player in the league, yall are ridiculous. He's athletic sure

Top 3 players in the leagues goes as follows then it's everyone else.

1) Lebron
2) Kevin Durant
3) Kevin Love

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: -Blu on March 12, 2014, 08:00:20 am ---I agree the term superstar does get used loosely.  Westbrook is more of an All-Star than a superstar. I can name at least 10 guys off the top of my head that would be considered superstars before Westbrook.

Lebron, Durant, These guys are superstars, and have all proven that by carrying teams and just reaching a ridiculous level.  Westbrook is a very good player, but superstar, that's pushing it, until he can take the Thunder to the next level, and show he can carry the team when Durant is struggling.

The next tier of All-Stars would be guys like Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving, John Wall, Chris Bosh, LeMarcus Aldridge etc.

--- End quote ---

To me, the test is, if someone calls and offers player B for A,  does A's team at least sit down and think about it.

OKC hangs up on anyone offering anyone but LeBron, Durant, George, or maybe Chris Paul in that scenario, for Westbrook.

jry04:

--- Quote from: Hawgfan5 on March 12, 2014, 01:16:39 am ---In tonight's game he acted like he was proud of his role of having hurt a big time NBA player when he got in Westbrook's face. I usually have hog colored glasses, but Beverly needs to act like he's been in the big leagues before. Right now he's acting like a want to be and it's tasteless.

--- End quote ---
So because he gets in the face of a player a year later it means he was proud of hurting him? That makes absolutely no sense.

By the way, Westbrook does the exact same thing Beverley did to him. Westbrook has done it to every player he has ever guarded, it just happened to be the way he got hurt.

RazorPiggie:

--- Quote from: YouCrawl_IQuall on March 12, 2014, 08:03:38 am ---Russell Westbrook isn't even a top 10 player in the league, yall are ridiculous. He's athletic sure

Top 3 players in the leagues goes as follows then it's everyone else.

1) Lebron
2) Kevin Durant
3) Kevin Love

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

--- End quote ---

So you're willing to say that DeMarcus Cousins, Brook Lopez, and Brandan Wright are top 10 players?

He is 12th on that list so so if you take the 3 above out he'd be in the top 10.

-Blu:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 12, 2014, 08:04:44 am ---To me, the test is, if someone calls and offers player B for A,  does A's team at least sit down and think about it.

OKC hangs up on anyone offering anyone but LeBron, Durant, George, or maybe Chris Paul in that scenario, for Westbrook.

--- End quote ---

All those guys I listed have either done more of have better stats than Westbrook.  You guys must be OKC fans, I don't think I've heard too many people refer to Westbrook as a superstar.

And using who OKC would trade or let go is not the best example.  They let James Harden get away, for Kevin Martin lol.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: -Blu on March 12, 2014, 08:15:21 am ---All those guys I listed have either done more of have better stats than Westbrook.  You guys must be OKC fans, I don't think I've heard too many people refer to Westbrook as a superstar.

And using who OKC would trade or let go is not the best example.  They let James Harden get away, for Kevin Martin lol.

--- End quote ---

Any objective team wouldn't make the trade, except for those 3-4, maybe 5 scenarios, Blu (without contracts being considered).    There is little doubt the guy is a Top 5ish player-- and I can't stand Westbrook and generally don't like the Thunder.   

I've been terribly surprised by how good he's been coming off the surgeries this year. 

Hogarusa:

--- Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 12, 2014, 07:57:40 am ---How many times has he been on the All-Star 1st team?  I'll answer. Zero

--- End quote ---

What is the All Star 1st team?  I don't know why you guys have a limit of the number of superstars in the NBA but Westbrook is certainly 1 of them, whether you think he is top 5 or top 20.  The guy averages 20 pts, 7 assists, 2 steals, and 5 rebs a game in his career.

-Blu:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 12, 2014, 08:22:13 am ---Any objective team wouldn't make the trade, except for those 3-4, maybe 5 scenarios, Blu (without contracts being considered).    There is little doubt the guy is a Top 5ish player-- and I can't stand Westbrook and generally don't like the Thunder.   

I've been terribly surprised by how good he's been coming off the surgeries this year.

--- End quote ---

Who on this list is Russell Westbrook better than?  Lebron, Durant, Carmelo, Chris Paul, Paul George, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Dwayne Wade, James Harden, and  Stephen Curry? 

And I'll let you off easy and not even mention Kobe Bryant or Derrick Rose since they are hurt right now.

Russell Westbrook is maybe top 5 in his position... but top 5 NBA player, that's highly laughable, no analyst or expert would agree with that.

PGs right now it's - Derrick Rose (when healthy), Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Stephen Curry, then MAYBE Russell Westbrook.... You could argue Deron Williams and Kyrie Irving ahead of him as well.

And I bet you if OKC could go back in time and they had to choose between Harden and Westbrook, they would choose Harden in a minute.

Just because somebody can run and jump high, doesn't make him a top 5 player.  Top 5 athlete maybe.

YouCrawl_IQuall:

--- Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 12, 2014, 08:12:13 am ---So you're willing to say that DeMarcus Cousins, Brook Lopez, and Brandan Wright are top 10 players?

He is 12th on that list so so if you take the 3 above out he'd be in the top 10.

--- End quote ---

Brook Lopez you can make the argument for. But I was mainly using that for why I put Kevin Love third. Just look at this numbers, they are unreal

DOGALUM:

Westbrook is no superstar IMO.  Superstars hang 40 when people get in their faces like that.

Good for Beverly. 

RazorPiggie:

--- Quote from: YouCrawl_IQuall on March 12, 2014, 08:36:24 am ---Brook Lopez you can make the argument for. But I was mainly using that for why I put Kevin Love third. Just look at this numbers, they are unreal

--- End quote ---

Lopez wouldn't be in my top 15 or possibly 20. You do realize that he's only played 17 games this year right?

Dirty:

--- End quote ---

He is playing like he should. 

b_stackhouse:

Pretty good article here on what type of player PB is.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-patrick-beverley-appreciation-thread/

Tooth:

--- Quote from: IronMountainHog on March 12, 2014, 07:57:40 am ---How many times has he been on the All-Star 1st team?  I'll answer. Zero

--- End quote ---
Ummm.... he's a 3-time All-Star and 3-time All NBA. So should I believe the opinion of some scrub on a message board, or NBA representatives?

hogsanity:

Westbrook is not a superstar.  Superstars are players that people come to watch.  Westbrook is a very good player, BUT no one is buying a ticket saying " Man I have got to go see Westbrook play ", however, they would do that for Lebron, Kobe ( maybe not anymore ), and a few other players.

And I dont think he is acting like he is proud of having hurt Westbrook, he is just showing he is not afraid to play him.

b_stackhouse:

--- Quote from: b_stackhouse on March 12, 2014, 09:12:52 am ---Pretty good article here on what type of player PB is.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-patrick-beverley-appreciation-thread/

--- End quote ---

My fault, just saw there was a thread about this article.

bolo1010:

3 x Allstar. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Westbrook

Even though I don't like Westbrook that much you can't deny that he's good. One of the all time greats? No but def an allstar. With that being said I think it's funny as hell how PB gets under his skin.

YouCrawl_IQuall:

--- Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on March 12, 2014, 08:55:22 am ---Lopez wouldn't be in my top 15 or possibly 20. You do realize that he's only played 17 games this year right?

--- End quote ---

So? He's still easily the most offensively talented Center in the league while still averaging the same amount of blocks as any other center. He's clearly been the best player on the Nets for a while even with Deron Williams there

twistitup:

--- Quote from: hogsanity on March 12, 2014, 09:18:37 am ---Westbrook is not a superstar.  Superstars are players that people come to watch.  Westbrook is a very good player, BUT no one is buying a ticket saying " Man I have got to go see Westbrook play ", however, they would do that for Lebron, Kobe ( maybe not anymore ), and a few other players.

And I dont think he is acting like he is proud of having hurt Westbrook, he is just showing he is not afraid to play him.

--- End quote ---

Westbrook has many fans.

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2013/12/19/5227612/nba-jersey-sales-kevin-durant-russell-westbrook-lebron-james

How do you feel about Dirk? Superstar or no- fans pay to see him

Professor Pig:

Westbrook plays "tough" in these games, too. I hate how Pat takes all the blame in these scenarios. Look, these two teams are going to meet in the playoffs and Pat is merely setting the tone -- ie, it's going to be a long 7 games against me.

When asked last night if Beverly crossed the line, Coach McHale replied: "no, that's why you have refs." I, for one, agree.

TexasRazorback:

Westbrook is a star and a great player, but he is not a superstar. He hasnt hit that threshold yet, but dont get me wrong hes one hell of a player.

I couldnt disagree more with what you said about Beverly. He is playing tough hard nose defense and showing Westbrook that he is not afraid of him or anyone for that matter. With that first quarter swipe at the ball that looked very similar to how RW hurt his knee in the first place, was not dirty....he is getting inside RW's head. I would love to see these two teams meet up in the Playoffs, that would be great

texas tush hog:

--- Quote from: Beaverfever on March 12, 2014, 07:14:42 am ---Westbrook is the third best player in the NBA when healthy IMO.  Unbelievable player. 

--- End quote ---

Never, I mean never, watch the TBA(thug basketball assn) so I woud not have a clue. Gangsta rappers.

YouCrawl_IQuall:

--- Quote from: twistitup on March 12, 2014, 09:44:07 am ---Westbrook has many fans.

http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/2013/12/19/5227612/nba-jersey-sales-kevin-durant-russell-westbrook-lebron-james

How do you feel about Dirk? Superstar or no- fans pay to see him

--- End quote ---

Dirk is definitely a superstar considering he's a top 5 PF of all time

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: -Blu on March 12, 2014, 08:32:31 am ---Who on this list is Russell Westbrook better than?  Lebron, Durant, Carmelo, Chris Paul, Paul George, Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Dwayne Wade, James Harden, and  Stephen Curry? 

And I'll let you off easy and not even mention Kobe Bryant or Derrick Rose since they are hurt right now.

Russell Westbrook is maybe top 5 in his position... but top 5 NBA player, that's highly laughable, no analyst or expert would agree with that.

PGs right now it's - Derrick Rose (when healthy), Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Stephen Curry, then MAYBE Russell Westbrook.... You could argue Deron Williams and Kyrie Irving ahead of him as well.

And I bet you if OKC could go back in time and they had to choose between Harden and Westbrook, they would choose Harden in a minute.

Just because somebody can run and jump high, doesn't make him a top 5 player.  Top 5 athlete maybe.

--- End quote ---

You take him straight up over Melo, Dirk, Wade, Harden, and Curry-- all of those are no-doubters.   I personally am a big Tony Parker fan, and wouldn't do it,  but  I would expect most NBA teams would if offered that deal.

The idea that you propose Kyrie Irving or Deron as being in his neighborhood is just flabbergasting.  They're second-tier NBA point guards.    It's Paul-Westbrook, or Westbrook-Paul, in some combination as the two best lead guards in the league.

Hogn1979:

I actually enjoyed his antics. The NBA has become this happy go lucky fraternity of friends who play basketball and are all best friends. I liked it better when the players weren't so nice to each other.

Hawg Red:

Superstars (Combination of popularity and level of play)
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Kevin Durant
Derrick Rose
Paul George
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Paul
Kevin Love
Kobe Bryant
Carmelo Anthony
Rajon Rondo
Tim Duncan
Blake Griffin
Dwight Howard
James Harden

*No particular order

Just my opinion. These seem to be All-Star caliber players that are extremely popular. Honestly, I think it's borderline with Westbrook. He could be in that group (seems like he should be if Rondo is) but he could also be in the Anthony Davis/Damian Lillard, Boobie Cousins/Kyrie Irving/John Wall/Chris Bosh/LaMarcus Aldridge/Steph Curry "2nd tier." I could go either way with it, but he's definitely one of the NBA's top players.

But I do think all this going for the steal when a player is trying to call timeout stuff centers around how Westbrook was wronged when he did the same exact thing to Jeremy Lin last year.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWrjQpNBsA

Reservoir Hogs:

I pay so little attention to the NBA that I didnt know Pbev and Brewer were on the same team.  I love bevs tanacity on D, those two would have both been great in MA's system.
I have an NBA team to root for in the playoffs now!

Adam Stokes:

--- Quote from: texas tush hog on March 12, 2014, 10:01:21 am ---Never, I mean never, watch the TBA(thug basketball assn) so I woud not have a clue. Gangsta rappers.

--- End quote ---

I'm guessing you are at least over 40 and haven't watched the NBA for the past decade.  Not many "gangsta's" anymore.  Howard, Durant, Lebron, Duncan, Wade, Griffin, all of the stars of the NBA are much classier than past players. 

YouCrawl_IQuall:

--- Quote from: Adam Stokes on March 12, 2014, 10:29:08 am ---I'm guessing you are at least over 40 and haven't watched the NBA for the past decade.  Not many "gangsta's" anymore.  Howard, Durant, Lebron, Duncan, Wade, Griffin, all of the stars of the NBA are much classier than past players.

--- End quote ---

this X1000

YouCrawl_IQuall:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 12, 2014, 10:08:50 am ---You take him straight up over Melo, Dirk, Wade, Harden, and Curry-- all of those are no-doubters.   I personally am a big Tony Parker fan, and wouldn't do it,  but  I would expect most NBA teams would if offered that deal.

The idea that you propose Kyrie Irving or Deron as being in his neighborhood is just flabbergasting.  They're second-tier NBA point guards.    It's Paul-Westbrook, or Westbrook-Paul, in some combination as the two best lead guards in the league.

--- End quote ---

disagree. Curry has to be in that conversation

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: YouCrawl_IQuall on March 12, 2014, 10:40:27 am ---disagree. Curry has to be in that conversation

--- End quote ---

Curry can't defend a parked car.  Otherwise, I do think there would be a solid argument.

IronMountainHog:

--- Quote from: bolo1010 on March 12, 2014, 09:26:03 am ---3 x Allstar. 

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Westbrook

Even though I don't like Westbrook that much you can't deny that he's good. One of the all time greats? No but def an allstar. With that being said I think it's funny as hell how PB gets under his skin.

--- End quote ---
3 time second team. Not really superstar.

TexasRazorback:

Westbrook is not even close to the top 5. You cant compare a westbrook to a Howard, or Dirk, or Paul George, Different styles and different positions. The best way to compare RW is too other top PG in the league. If i had to choose a top 5 of best PG's available to start a team i would go (also im not taking current injuries into consideration)
1. D Rose
2. CP3
3. Curry
4. Westbrook
5.K Irving
Lillard, Parker, Wall, close behind

scorekeeper:

This thread would be better if we could agree on a definition of what a superstar is. In my opinion a superstar is a guy that can lead his team WITHOUT the help of a sidekick; meaning a pretty deep playoff run or at least make the playoffs. A superstar is a guy that makes guys around him look better than what they really are; the Robin's to the Batman should benefit in someway. From reading the thread it seems that a superstar should have a pretty good deal of fanfare. Seems like there should be no more than 8 superstars based off the criteria listed above (barring injury, yes I know its hard to quantify, and some superstars are stars of another time period...meaning there star is fading would that player be your top pick for his position right now). There are a lot of allstars.

Pork Twain:

Slow day on Hogville...

-Blu:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 12, 2014, 10:08:50 am ---You take him straight up over Melo, Dirk, Wade, Harden, and Curry-- all of those are no-doubters.   I personally am a big Tony Parker fan, and wouldn't do it,  but  I would expect most NBA teams would if offered that deal.

--- End quote ---

??? ??? ??? ??? Are you kiddin me dude you gotta be trolling.  Your saying Russell.... Russell Westbrook..... is better than Carmelo Anthony, Dirk, Dwayne Wade, James Harden, Stephen Curry and Tony Parker.  Only person on that list that can even be in the same conversation is maybe D.Wade since he hasn't been 100% the past couple seasons. 

Man, I wish you were in my fantasy league, you'd be a guaranteed win every time I played you.  Russell Westbrook would be the best person on your team LOL.  You gotta pm me at the start of next BBall season man and get in the fantasy league, we would love to have you.

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version