General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

Phil's take on MJ vs. Kobe

Pages: (1/2) > >>

dsims2k3:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/phil-jackson-compares-michael-jordan-kobe-bryant-book-162512969.html

Phil Jackson compares Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant in new book

Dan Devine

Hey, did you know that people like to compare Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant? Fans do it, video editors do it, Kelly Dwyer does it (and Ernie Johnson told me Wednesday night that KD's a "good dude"), Larry Bird does it, and even Jordan himself does it. Seriously, it's basically the absolute favorite thing of everyone who likes basketball. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

One basketball lover, however, has largely been reticent to compare the two legendary shooting guards Phil Jackson, the man who coached Jordan and Bryant through their respective championship-winning, Hall-of-Fame-securing primes with the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers. In his forthcoming book "Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success," however, the Zen Master opens up and shares his thoughts on the tale of the tape between two of the greatest players the game has ever seen.

From Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times, who got an advance look at "Eleven Rings" and is sharing the wealth:

"Michael was more charismatic and gregarious than Kobe. He loved hanging out with his teammates and security guards, playing cards, smoking cigars, and joking around," Jackson said [...]

"Kobe is different. He was reserved as a teenager, in part because he was younger than the other players and hadn't developed strong social skills in college. When Kobe first joined the Lakers, he avoided fraternizing with his teammates. But his inclination to keep to himself shifted as he grew older. Increasingly, Kobe put more energy into getting to know the other players, especially when the team was on the road." [...]

"Jordan was also more naturally inclined to let the game come to him and not overplay his hand, whereas Kobe tends to force the action, especially when the game isn't going his way. When his shot is off, Kobe will pound away relentlessly until his luck turns. Michael, on the other hand, would shift his attention to defense or passing or setting screens to help the team win the game."

Jackson also gives M.J. the nod as the "tougher, more intimidating defender," whereas Bryant would "rely more heavily on his flexibility and craftiness," along with (occasionally ill-timed) gambles, on the defensive end.

The coach's evaluations all seem pretty evident and reasonable, emphasizing the slight but importance differences in applied physicality between the two 6-foot-6, 200-pound guards. It's interesting to note, though, that Jackson's analysis of the differences in teammate interaction don't totally dovetail with the experience expressed by trainer Tim Grover, who famously worked with both stars, in his recent book, "Relentless."

Here's how Grover describes it:

A lot of gifted people will lower their skills to close the gap between themselves and those around them, so others can feel more confident, involved, and relatively competitive. I've seen Kobe do that briefly when he has to, as a way to bring his teammates into the action and keep them engaged. It can work well depending on the other players, and as soon as Kobe sees his teammates stepping up, he'll revert to his natural game. It's a conscious decision to make the other guys feel as if they were one team, not one superstar surrounded by a second-rate supporting cast.

Michael went the other way and came right out and said it: that's my supporting cast.

His message was clear and unrelenting: Hey, I'm not bringing my game down so you can look better; you bring your game up so you can look better. He refused to put his own game in the backseat just to give other guys more action, unless you proved to him you could handle the responsibility.

Grover does note, however, that Jordan "never showed frustration on the court" and "always stayed positive, always had fun out there," only flipping his lid on underperforming teammates after the final buzzer. He also lends credence to the distance Bryant at times places between himself and his teammates, noting that Kobe "shoots along before the game, never on the same basket as the other guys," and that his teammates often stay away and "would never encroach on his space" out of "respect."

All told, we're talking about such small degrees of differentiation on the court, off the court, in the locker room that while the Zen Master's breakdown does seem to favor Jordan overall, it in no way denigrates Bryant's status as one of the greatest players of all time and arguably the second-greatest shooting guard in NBA history.

It does, however, appear to entrench Jordan as the greatest of all time in the mind of the man who'd know best. That measurement will likely sound about right to most of us, and probably will only fuel Bryant's fire as he rehabilitates from Achilles surgery in pursuit of a return to the court, a Jordan-equalling sixth ring and more buckets to chase down M.J. on the all-time scoring list.

That urge to measure up and prove himself was apparent in Bryant even in his early years, according to Jackson, who also relates a great story about a face-to-face meeting between Kobe and M.J. during Jackson's first year in L.A.:

"Kobe was hell-bent on surpassing Jordan as the greatest player in the game. His obsession with Michael was striking," Jackson said. "When we played in Chicago that season, I orchestrated a meeting between the two stars, thinking that Michael might help shift Kobe's attitude toward selfless teamwork. After they shook hands, the first words out of Kobe's mouth were, 'You know I can kick your ass one on one.'"

Yep. Sounds like the shy, reserved, shrinking violet Kobe we've all come to know and love over the years.

Whoopigsooie:

Definitely two of the best to play the game! I enjoyed watching MJ from his rookie season on and have done the same with KB. Only thing i hate is that i didn't get THE rookie card for MJ. I did not make that mistake on KB. I hope KB gets him one more ring before he hangs it up and retires as a Laker.

The Divine Swine:

Had Jordan not pursued a baseball career he would have more rings and more career points to which Kobe might not have a chance to equal. Kobe is great i admit, but he is not Jordanesque or anywhere near his equivalent.

Pulled(PP)pork:

apples to oranges

PP

hoglady:

All sounds about right to me.
Jordan learned the importance of team at North Carolina - not sure Kobe ever has or will.
In my eyes no one will surpass Jordan and it sure in the heck isn't Kobe (who I've grown to like - kinda)

Deeznutts:

Who cares. the NBA is the equivalent of my garbage pickup. Love college. End the garbage NBA> Nobody cares.

Breems:

--- Quote from: Deeznutts on May 18, 2013, 07:04:35 pm ---Who cares. the NBA is the equivalent of my garbage pickup. Love college. End the garbage NBA> Nobody cares.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for that valuable input.

HiggiePiggy:

--- Quote from: Deeznutts on May 18, 2013, 07:04:35 pm ---Who cares. the NBA is the equivalent of my garbage pickup. Love college. End the garbage NBA> Nobody cares.

--- End quote ---

Actually the nba game is better as far as players being able to score. College there is just so many terrible players that make the game look kinda bad. 

pigture perfect:

We are still talking about MJ's greatness 20 years after the fact. Kobe will hardly be mentioned anymore than Karl Malone in 20 years.

Deeznutts:

The NBA sucks. Period. 5 guys that can't spell cat or guard anybody. Just like Charles Barkley said. "God couldn't guard me."  Apparently everyone else could, fatboy. The League is a refuge for those that can't put mustard on a burger. Seriously.

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: Hogcrates on May 18, 2013, 12:55:46 am ---Had Jordan not pursued a baseball career he would have more rings and more career points to which Kobe might not have a chance to equal. Kobe is great i admit, but he is not Jordanesque or anywhere near his equivalent.

--- End quote ---

I disagree with this. I think had Jordan not taken the break for baseball he wouldn't have reached 6 rings. That break from basketball allowed him to become reenergized and get his legs back for another 3-Peat.

I also think it's important to look at the level of swing men in the NBA in the 1990's when comparing the two. Kobe has spent his career guarding guys like Iverson, Tmac, Paul Pierce up through the LeBron James, Carmello Anthony. MJ spent time guarding smaller guys like Gary Payton or slower guys like Reggie Miller.

Breems:

--- Quote from: pigture perfect on May 18, 2013, 07:48:29 pm ---We are still talking about MJ's greatness 20 years after the fact. Kobe will hardly be mentioned anymore than Karl Malone in 20 years.

--- End quote ---

That's ridiculous. In any case, Karl Malone is still mentioned quite a bit.

Lawrence Lecroy:

--- Quote from: Breems on May 18, 2013, 09:36:17 pm ---That's ridiculous. In any case, Karl Malone is still mentioned quite a bit.

--- End quote ---

mentioned for not winning a title.  Jordan 1. Kobe 1A.

pigture perfect:

--- Quote from: Breems on May 18, 2013, 09:36:17 pm ---That's ridiculous. In any case, Karl Malone is still mentioned quite a bit.

--- End quote ---
Why is that? Kobe isn't the same caliber as MJ.

sunalmighty79:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 18, 2013, 09:13:51 pm ---I disagree with this. I think had Jordan not taken the break for baseball he wouldn't have reached 6 rings. That break from basketball allowed him to become reenergized and get his legs back for another 3-Peat.

I also think it's important to look at the level of swing men in the NBA in the 1990's when comparing the two. Kobe has spent his career guarding guys like Iverson, Tmac, Paul Pierce up through the LeBron James, Carmello Anthony. MJ spent time guarding smaller guys like Gary Payton or slower guys like Reggie Miller.

--- End quote ---
LOL, you can't be serious. You can't even cough on a player without getting whistled for a foul.

Imminent Rueage:

I'm a Lakers fan, but this is pretty funny.

hardtimes79:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 18, 2013, 09:13:51 pm ---I disagree with this. I think had Jordan not taken the break for baseball he wouldn't have reached 6 rings. That break from basketball allowed him to become reenergized and get his legs back for another 3-Peat.

--- End quote ---
Now you are just make stuff up.  How often do you think Kobe is guarding Mello or Lebron?  Here are some names when Mj was in the league...Penny Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Clyde Drexler, Alan Houston, Glenn Rice, Grant Hill, Jimmy Jackson, Bernard King, Chris Mullin.. The players as a whole for the league were about the same size back then and Mj actually played at a heavier weight than Kobe.  You named those two players as if they aren't Hall of fame players.  I think the opinion of the man who has coached both probably holds a lot of weight.

Pulled(PP)pork:

--- Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 19, 2013, 08:11:52 am ---Now you are just make stuff up.  How often do you think Kobe is guarding Mello or Lebron?  Here are some names when Mj was in the league...Penny Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Clyde Drexler, Alan Houston, Glenn Rice, Grant Hill, Jimmy Jackson, Bernard King, Chris Mullin.. The players as a whole for the league were about the same size back then and Mj actually played at a heavier weight than Kobe.  You named those two players as if they aren't Hall of fame players.  I think the opinion of the man who has coached both probably holds a lot of weight.

--- End quote ---
you had me until Chris Mullen.....oh boy

PP

Pulled(PP)pork:

here's the only difference between then

Kobe is selfish

PP

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 19, 2013, 08:11:52 am ---Now you are just make stuff up.  How often do you think Kobe is guarding Mello or Lebron?  Here are some names when Mj was in the league...Penny Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Clyde Drexler, Alan Houston, Glenn Rice, Grant Hill, Jimmy Jackson, Bernard King, Chris Mullin.. The players as a whole for the league were about the same size back then and Mj actually played at a heavier weight than Kobe.  You named those two players as if they aren't Hall of fame players.  I think the opinion of the man who has coached both probably holds a lot of weight.

--- End quote ---

The guys you just named validated my point. In Jordans era there were no other elite 2/3 players to compete against.

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: sunalmighty79 on May 18, 2013, 11:10:51 pm ---LOL, you can't be serious. You can't even cough on a player without getting whistled for a foul.

--- End quote ---

What does that have to do with anything?

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 19, 2013, 08:17:57 am ---here's the only difference between then

Kobe is selfish

PP

--- End quote ---

Probably the most accurate analysis

Cure:

--- Quote from: sunalmighty79 on May 18, 2013, 11:10:51 pm ---LOL, you can't be serious. You can't even cough on a player without getting whistled for a foul.

--- End quote ---
Which player do you think had the most influence on that?

This thread is a big hint.

hardtimes79:

--- Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 19, 2013, 08:17:21 am ---you had me until Chris Mullen.....oh boy

PP

--- End quote ---

You mean hall of famer Chris Mullen.   That's more than can be said for some of the people he named.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 19, 2013, 07:55:02 pm ---You mean hall of famer Chris Mullen.   That's more than can be said for some of the people he named.

--- End quote ---

Hall of Famer. Dream Teamer.  5 time all star, 2 olympic gold medalist.      Yeah, that guy could barely ball at all.

hardtimes79:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 10:52:35 am ---The guys you just named validated my point. In Jordans era there were no other elite 2/3 players to compete against.

--- End quote ---

And what's your elite list of 2/3's in Kobe's era? Two of the guys that were named are closer to 4's and Kobe doesn't guard them.

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 19, 2013, 08:02:14 pm ---And what's your elite list of 2/3's in Kobe's era? Two of the guys that were named are closer to 4's and Kobe doesn't guard them.

--- End quote ---

Kobe guarded every one of those guys. Since Artist joined LAL he takes on the bigger guys but before that Kobe guarded them all. Shut down LBJ for the first several years of his career

hardtimes79:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 08:25:41 pm ---Kobe guarded every one of those guys. Since Artist joined LAL he takes on the bigger guys but before that Kobe guarded them all. Shut down LBJ for the first several years of his career

--- End quote ---
There's a difference from guarding someone and occasionally jumping on them from time to time.  Kobe has even been quoted in saying melo is too big for him to guard and if that's the case lbj is much bigger.  Mj has a defensive player of the year trophy and that trumps Kobe anyday.  I would actually put d wade ahead of Kobe as a defender.

hardtimes79:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 08:25:41 pm ---Kobe guarded every one of those guys. Since Artist joined LAL he takes on the bigger guys but before that Kobe guarded them all. Shut down LBJ for the first several years of his career

--- End quote ---
Your shut down comment is just made up.  Lebron has the head to head lead while playing on lesser teams!  Here is a list of the gms to back that up.  http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=bryanko01

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 19, 2013, 08:33:02 pm ---There's a difference from guarding someone and occasionally jumping on them from time to time.  Kobe has even been quoted in saying melo is too big for him to guard and if that's the case lbj is much bigger.  Mj has a defensive player of the year trophy and that trumps Kobe anyday.  I would actually put d wade ahead of Kobe as a defender.

--- End quote ---

I have never seen an interview where Kobe says that and it isn't in his nature to concede to anybody so I'm going to CALL BS on that one

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 19, 2013, 08:47:45 pm ---Your shut down comment is just made up.  Lebron has the head to head lead while playing on lesser teams!  Here is a list of the gms to back that up.  http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=bryanko01

--- End quote ---

Playing on lesser teams? It's funny to me LBJ Dans say his teams were so bad in Cleveland and ignore that he is on his 3rd season on the most superstar bred team in NBA history.

LBJ never had to play with a team with a lineup like this

Smush Parker
Kobe Bryant
Luke Walton
Lamar Odom
Kwame Brown

HiggiePiggy:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 10:21:37 pm ---Playing on lesser teams? It's funny to me LBJ Dans say his teams were so bad in Cleveland and ignore that he is on his 3rd season on the most superstar bred team in NBA history.

Smush Parker
Kobe Bryant
Luke Walton
Lamar Odom
Kwame Brown

--- End quote ---

LBJ was the team for Cleveland for all the years there.  That was proven the next year after he left when they won 14 games or something close to that.   He was the reason they were in the playoffs.  He was the reason they were considered a good team. 

Imminent Rueage:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 10:21:37 pm ---Playing on lesser teams? It's funny to me LBJ Dans say his teams were so bad in Cleveland and ignore that he is on his 3rd season on the most superstar bred team in NBA history.

Smush Parker
Kobe Bryant
Luke Walton
Lamar Odom
Kwame Brown

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I suffered through all of that. It was UGLY.

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on May 19, 2013, 10:29:08 pm ---LBJ was the team for Cleveland for all the years there.  That was proven the next year after he left when they won 14 games or something close to that.   He was the reason they were in the playoffs.  He was the reason they were considered a good team. 

--- End quote ---

No, they were considered a good team because they were a good team. The reason their record fail so badly was not only did they lose LeBron but they lost a majority of their roster which included their 2nd best option Mo Williams (which showed this year that dude can ball), Shaq, Delonte West... In fact the best player left was a 35 year old Antawn Jamison (who is a fine player but no superstar, especially on the end of his career)

Sorry for the vent but I get irritated with LBJ fans who act like those Cleveland rosters were garbage and only LeBron greatness carried them to the finals...

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 19, 2013, 10:44:47 pm ---Yeah, I suffered through all of that. It was UGLY.

--- End quote ---

Me too man. That's why Kobe had that crazy scoring year. Yeah kobe can be really selfish but back in those days his selfishness was the Lakers only chance

Imminent Rueage:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 11:09:52 pm ---Me too man. That's why Kobe had that crazy scoring year. Yeah kobe can be really selfish but back in those days his selfishness was the Lakers only chance

--- End quote ---

I still laugh at that 81 point game. I have never seen anybody more "on" than he was.

Hog Fan...DOH!:

I can't quite figure out what this thread has devolved into...

Are we bashing the NBA now vs. then?  Kobe now vs. then?  Seeing how far our whiz travels?

BigD94:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 11:08:35 pm ---No, they were considered a good team because they were a good team. The reason their record fail so badly was not only did they lose LeBron but they lost a majority of their roster which included their 2nd best option Mo Williams (which showed this year that dude can ball), Shaq, Delonte West... In fact the best player left was a 35 year old Antawn Jamison (who is a fine player but no superstar, especially on the end of his career)

Sorry for the vent but I get irritated with LBJ fans who act like those Cleveland rosters were garbage and only LeBron greatness carried them to the finals...

--- End quote ---

Trying to compare the Cavs team to a Laker team is laughable. Kobe won championships with Shaq in his prime and then again with another stacked team, all with Phil. Kobe will not win another championship. Saying that Lebron had Shaq in Clevelenad? Please

cmpledger:

MJ and Kobe argument is only valid because they are both SGs. Lebron is the player to most likely surpass MJ, not Kobe.

cmpledger:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 11:08:35 pm ---No, they were considered a good team because they were a good team. The reason their record fail so badly was not only did they lose LeBron but they lost a majority of their roster which included their 2nd best option Mo Williams (which showed this year that dude can ball), Shaq, Delonte West... In fact the best player left was a 35 year old Antawn Jamison (who is a fine player but no superstar, especially on the end of his career)

--- End quote ---

Mo Williams was a terrible 2nd option which says something about how terrible those teams were. Mo Williams played worse in the playoffs than JR Smith did this year

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: BigD94 on May 20, 2013, 09:18:29 am ---Trying to compare the Cavs team to a Laker team is laughable. Kobe won championships with Shaq in his prime and then again with another stacked team, all with Phil. Kobe will not win another championship. Saying that Lebron had Shaq in Clevelenad? Please

--- End quote ---

No no you're misunderstanding. Those Lakers teams from 00-02 were great. He teams from 08-10 were also very good. (albeit neither roster is more stacked on paper than Miami today). What I'm trying to say is when people say the Cavs didn't have any but LeBron is that Kobe's low point roster was much worse than any James played on

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: cmpledger on May 20, 2013, 09:19:50 am ---MJ and Kobe argument is only valid because they are both SGs. Lebron is the player to most likely surpass MJ, not Kobe.

--- End quote ---

Styles make the comparison sure. I've always thought LeBron vs Magic was a better comparison. Both big versatile playmakers who basically play gigantic point guard

BigD94:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 20, 2013, 10:03:05 am ---No no you're misunderstanding. Those Lakers teams from 00-02 were great. He teams from 08-10 were also very good. (albeit neither roster is more stacked on paper than Miami today). What I'm trying to say is when people say the Cavs didn't have any but LeBron is that Kobe's low point roster was much worse than any James played on

--- End quote ---

I still disagree

hardtimes79:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 20, 2013, 10:03:05 am ---No no you're misunderstanding. Those Lakers teams from 00-02 were great. He teams from 08-10 were also very good. (albeit neither roster is more stacked on paper than Miami today). What I'm trying to say is when people say the Cavs didn't have any but LeBron is that Kobe's low point roster was much worse than any James played on

--- End quote ---
The point is that Kobe came into to the league playing for a stacked team and one of the top 2 organizations in nba history.  You saw what it was like when he didn't have top level talent around him.  The cavs talent was on par with the lakers down years and this year he had a bunch of talent and they sucked.  Kobe is a great player but those rings don't tell the whole story when comparing him to other players.

hardtimes79:

--- Quote from: hvsupastar on May 19, 2013, 10:15:12 pm ---I have never seen an interview where Kobe says that and it isn't in his nature to concede to anybody so I'm going to CALL BS on that one

--- End quote ---
Read it for yourself.  It's not conceding when it's common sense.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/13/kobe-says-carmelo-is-hardest-player-for-him-to-guard/

1highhog:

--- End quote ---

Your as high as a kite if you're saying that the 2001-02 Lakers squad was not as stacked as the Miami Heat are now, go look that Roster up as I just did as compare it, Shaquille was in his prime as was several other key members and Kobe was just beginning to dominate as well. 

popcornhog:

--- Quote from: Hogcrates on May 18, 2013, 12:55:46 am ---Had Jordan not pursued a baseball career he would have more rings and more career points to which Kobe might not have a chance to equal. Kobe is great i admit, but he is not Jordanesque or anywhere near his equivalent.

--- End quote ---

Agree, Kobe us amazing but not Jordan.

Kobe not only didn't take 2 years off to play baseball in his :0's, but he also started playing in the NBA 3 years earlier than Jordan.

That's 5 bonus years in his prime that Kobe got that Jordan didn't.

MJ's average remained over 30ppg even with all of that. Kobe won't average 30 for his career.

popcornhog:

--- End quote ---

You know, I quit watching the NBA because I felt the same way between about 1998-2008 or so.

But the NBA is great again.

Memphis is an old school grit/grind, win with D and great post play kind of team, and they're in the Western Conference finals against the Spurs -- one of the most fundamentally sound teams ever to play the game. There is nothing sloppy about these teams.

Also, the NBA is currently experiencing some of the best point guard play of all time. Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Daron Williams, Steve Nash, Mike Conley, Tony Parker -- these are truly great point guards who can facilitate AND score.

Finally, LeBron, D Wade, Durant, Kobe, TD, Carmello, and D Rose are all among the best 30 or so players of all time. And there's a ton of young talent too.

The NBA has gotten really good again.

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: hardtimes79 on May 20, 2013, 02:06:12 pm ---Read it for yourself.  It's not conceding when it's common sense.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/13/kobe-says-carmelo-is-hardest-player-for-him-to-guard/

--- End quote ---

You said "kobe has been quoted as saying Melo is too big for him to guard" which is conceding and not anything that Kobe has ever said.  Kobe say's Melo being so big is what makes him the hardest person for him to guard, never does he say he is too big to guard because Kobe would guard him as good as anyone too. 

hvsupastar:

--- Quote from: 1highhog on May 20, 2013, 02:08:28 pm ---Your as high as a kite if you're saying that the 2001-02 Lakers squad was not as stacked as the Miami Heat are now, go look that Roster up as I just did as compare it, Shaquille was in his prime as was several other key members and Kobe was just beginning to dominate as well. 

--- End quote ---

Really?......  When LBJ joined Miami Wade was considered the 3rd best player in the NBA although he has dropped in opinion as of late.  This is off the top of my head but here goes

Derek Fisher                               Norris Cole
Kobe Bryant                               Dewayne Wade
Rick Fox                                    Lebron James
Robert Horry                              Chris Bosh       
Shaq                                        Chris Anderson

Benches:

Brian Shaw                                Ray Allen
Devean George                          Mike Miller 
Samaki Walker                           Rashard Lewis
Lindsey Hunter                          Udonis Haslem
Slava Medvedenko                     Mario Chalmers

Look at the names on that list and tell me the 2001-02 Lakers were a better roster than today's miami team.  The Lakers just had the greatness of the Kobe/Shaq duo but the roster top to bottom is not even close.

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version