It's the NBA draft and you have the number one pick

Pages: (1/2) > >>

JonClaudeVanHam:

Who do you take?

I'm taking either Olidipo or Porter.

Kevin:

trade it

Dogtown Donkey:

Are we operating under the assumption we're starting a team from scratch?

If so, I'm probably going with Nerlens Noel. Future DPOY and very athletic center. Not so much concerned about the knee. I'm just not as sold on the potential of anyone else in the draft to have the impact Noel will, IMO. I'm not saying guys like Porter, Oladipo, Burke, McLemore can't. I just I'm just much more sold on Noel due is to gift for blocking shots and that combined with his hustle and athleticism. I think there's a lot to work with here and he has a very high ceiling. He's also unlike Oden in that he really doesn't have a prior injury history (that I'm aware of).

Dogtown Donkey:

--- Quote from: Kevin on May 08, 2013, 11:40:20 am ---trade it

--- End quote ---

Why? Because the draft sucks?

Well, how much do you think you're going to get for it, if that's the case?

cmpledger:

Oladipo is probably one of the most overrated players of all time. I would go ahead and use it on Nerlens Noel. I think he's going to be a Tyson Chandler type player who can anchor the defense on a championship team.

Cure:

Ben McLemore.

JonClaudeVanHam:

--- Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 08, 2013, 11:43:08 am ---Are we operating under the assumption we're starting a team from scratch?

If so, I'm probably going with Nerlens Noel. Future DPOY and very athletic center. Not so much concerned about the knee. I'm just not as sold on the potential of anyone else in the draft to have the impact Noel will, IMO. I'm not saying guys like Porter, Oladipo, Burke, McLemore can't. I just I'm just much more sold on Noel due is to gift for blocking shots and that combined with his hustle and athleticism. I think there's a lot to work with here and he has a very high ceiling. He's also unlike Oden in that he really doesn't have a prior injury history (that I'm aware of).

--- End quote ---

Definitely from scratch. I took Oladipo simply because he was viewed as a first round pick last year simply because of his lockdown defense, now he has added a superb offensive game and has proven to have the clutch gene and "it" factor. I would build my team around him. The worst he could turn out is a shorter version of Luol Deng, and I'll take that.

Kevin:

is there anyone in the draft that makes an impact on the roster.

i think you let someone else draft them, groom them, then sign them as free agents

Dogtown Donkey:

--- Quote from: cmpledger on May 08, 2013, 11:45:00 am ---Oladipo is probably one of the most overrated players of all time. I would go ahead and use it on Nerlens Noel. I think he's going to be a Tyson Chandler type player who can anchor the defense on a championship team.

--- End quote ---

Completely agree on Noel. I like him as better version of Chandler (Chandler's career block average is only 1.3 - Noel's will be at least 2).

I'm not sure how I feel about Oladipo. Definitely has the potential, but like Porter, I'm not completely sold on him. Definitely can't justify the #1 pick on him.

JonClaudeVanHam:

--- Quote from: cmpledger on May 08, 2013, 11:45:00 am ---Oladipo is probably one of the most overrated players of all time. I would go ahead and use it on Nerlens Noel. I think he's going to be a Tyson Chandler type player who can anchor the defense on a championship team.

--- End quote ---

What makes you think that about Oladipo?

Dogtown Donkey:

--- Quote from: Kevin on May 08, 2013, 11:47:09 am ---is there anyone in the draft that makes an impact on the roster.

i think you let someone else draft them, groom them, then sign them as free agents

--- End quote ---

Yes, absolutely, there players that will make an impact on their roster. Noel (once he shakes the rust off), C.J. McCollum (same thing), Oladipo, Porter, Burke, even McLemore. Now, I'm not sold that there's a Damien Lillard-type player in this draft that will come in and produce like that right away, but there's some solid players in this draft that will help a team move forward. Star power is not apparent, though.

Kevin:

i can get vets to be solid players.

who got the most out of jermaine o'neal, portland or indiana

Dogtown Donkey:

--- Quote from: Kevin on May 08, 2013, 12:17:53 pm ---i can get vets to be solid players.

who got the most out of jermaine o'neal, portland or indiana

--- End quote ---

Exception that proves the rule.

Also, veterans don't have the upside/potential that draft picks do.

Kevin:

potential is a dangerous word

ErieHog:

From scratch,   Noel.

Dogtown Donkey:

--- Quote from: Kevin on May 08, 2013, 12:24:01 pm ---potential is a dangerous word

--- End quote ---

Give me a realistic trade for the #1 then. You say you'd rather have vets. Well, what vets? What veteran players would be worth the #1 pick, even in a weak draft?

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 08, 2013, 12:25:53 pm ---Give me a realistic trade for the #1 then. You say you'd rather have vets. Well, what vets? What veteran players would be worth the #1 pick, even in a weak draft?

--- End quote ---

As a Wolves fan,  I'd be happy to see my team offer Derrick Williams and one of their 1st round picks for the #1.       

RazorPiggie:

--- Quote from: Cure on May 08, 2013, 11:46:40 am ---Ben McLemore.

--- End quote ---

cmpledger:

--- Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 08, 2013, 11:48:01 am ---What makes you think that about Oladipo?

--- End quote ---

I just watched a lot of Indiana games this year and never came away impressed with him or that entire team.

k.c.hawg:

This is one of those drafts that I think in 5 years you will look back and the best player selected will come from that 5 to 15 range.  I think I might rather be picking at 10 to 15 and be able to take a high ceiling guy like Michael Carter Williams or 5 to 10  and go with Anthony Bennett or Trey Burke than being stuck with the #1.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: Kevin on May 08, 2013, 12:24:01 pm ---potential is a dangerous word

--- End quote ---

No kidding, Just ask Frank!

NeverYield:

--- Quote from: Kevin on May 08, 2013, 11:40:20 am ---trade it

--- End quote ---

Dr. Starcs:

Rotnei Clark

GatorsGators:

I'd try to trade down, but if that wasn't a legitimate possibility, I think I'd go with Burke. No way I'd even consider taking Oladipo.

Smithian:

Depends on what team. There is some talent in this draft, just no player above all the rest.

If Magic get first pick, I am going McLemore. They have some talent on the frontline in Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic(sp?). Bobcats I would say Otto Porter. Cavs should go Porter or McLemore (maybe Muhammed?).

In this draft I think many teams would have an easier choice at the #3 or #4 spot. No clear #1 pick but any team would be happy with McLemore, Muhammad, Burke, or one of those players in the top 5.

bcdeputy:

I'd take that Derrick Williams trade with thier highest 1st rounder this year and a future #1. Otherwise I'd take Cody Zeller or the kid from Georgia

GoHogs1091:

If the main need is a PG, then Michael Carter-Williams.

If the main need is not a PG and not a Forward, but a SG, then Ben McLemore.

If the main need is not a PG and not a SG, but a Forward, then Otto Porter.

Speedsmith:

Micheal Carter-Williams

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: bcdeputy on May 08, 2013, 07:21:39 pm ---I'd take that Derrick Williams trade with thier highest 1st rounder this year and a future #1. Otherwise I'd take Cody Zeller or the kid from Georgia

--- End quote ---

That 2nd #1 is way too much to ask without some serious pick protection for future years.     As it stands,  you'd be getting a former #2 pick and most likely the 9th pick this year--  you might also pick up the #26 or #52 and #59 picks.       it's very easy to overvalue the top pick in the draft, particularly when your potential trading partner can get almost as much value at 3 or 4 as they might at 1.

cmpledger:

--- Quote from: Smithian on May 08, 2013, 07:20:05 pm ---Depends on what team. There is some talent in this draft, just no player above all the rest.

If Magic get first pick, I am going McLemore. They have some talent on the frontline in Tobias Harris and Nikola Vucevic(sp?). Bobcats I would say Otto Porter. Cavs should go Porter or McLemore (maybe Muhammed?).

In this draft I think many teams would have an easier choice at the #3 or #4 spot. No clear #1 pick but any team would be happy with McLemore, Muhammad, Burke, or one of those players in the top 5.

--- End quote ---

Why would Cavs go guard? They've drafted guards in the top 5 the last two years

songofthesword:

probably trey burke.

very very very safe pick. will be a starter and avg 15 pgs / 7 assists / 3-4 rebounds a game. won't be a super star but will be a good building block

this is a very weak draft

mbgrulz:

I'm taking Otto porter. Really like his game. Hate the system he played in at gtown.

The_Iceman:

Trade down for a team that has 2 first round picks. There isn't any clear future all stars in this draft, but there is value mid to late 1st round.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: cmpledger on May 09, 2013, 07:51:32 am ---Why would Cavs go guard? They've drafted guards in the top 5 the last two years

--- End quote ---

The NBA has this thing called TRADES.....................................If you have too many at one position trade them.

Dogtown Donkey:

Can't believe people are suggesting Michael Carter-Williams as the #1 pick. He's a nice player and all, but come on.

cmpledger:

--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 09, 2013, 11:16:48 am ---The NBA has this thing called TRADES.....................................If you have too many at one position trade them.

--- End quote ---

What a pointless post. hurr durr the NBA has trades, really? hurr durr The cavs have shown no interest in trading the two guards they've drafted the last two years. Waiters was in the running for rookie of the year and Kyrie Irving was the rookie of the year his rookie year, no reason to trade. And no reason to draft Mclemore

mbgrulz:

--- Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 09, 2013, 11:22:27 am ---Can't believe people are suggesting Michael Carter-Williams as the #1 pick. He's a nice player and all, but come on.

--- End quote ---
My thoughts exactly

WooPig90:

--- Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 09, 2013, 11:22:27 am ---Can't believe people are suggesting Michael Carter-Williams as the #1 pick. He's a nice player and all, but come on.

--- End quote ---

Agree, especially when a lot of experts have him as the 3rd rated PG in the draft..

Oliver:

Jim Buss says, "Whoever fits best in Mike Dantoni's system!"

secfan30:

--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 08, 2013, 03:17:11 pm ---Rotnei Clark

--- End quote ---

Just don't let him near the equipment room.

yraciv:

If you need a safe pick and PG - I'd go Trey Burke.  Upside I'd go with Shabazz Muhammed.

GoHogs1091:

--- Quote from: WooPig90 on May 09, 2013, 02:58:19 pm ---Agree, especially when a lot of experts have him as the 3rd rated PG in the draft..

--- End quote ---

Here is the difference between Carter-Williams and Burke. 

Carter-Williams is 6'5" and Burke is 6'0".  Carter-Williams also has long arms.  With all of the length that is currently in the NBA (and will continue to go into the NBA) it will probably eventually get to the point that a 6'0" to 6'2" PG won't be able to make it unless a 6'0" to 6'2" PG is extremely quick.  Also, the NBA looks for players who can finish at the rim.  A 6'5" PG is more apt to be able to finish at the rim in the NBA.   

GatorsGators:

--- Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 09, 2013, 10:06:14 pm ---Here is the difference between Carter-Williams and Burke. 

Carter-Williams is 6'5" and Burke is 6'0".  Carter-Williams also has long arms.  With all of the length that is currently in the NBA (and will continue to go into the NBA) it will probably eventually get to the point that a 6'0" to 6'2" PG won't be able to make it unless a 6'0" to 6'2" PG is extremely quick.  Also, the NBA looks for players who can finish at the rim.  A 6'5" PG is more apt to be able to finish at the rim in the NBA.   

--- End quote ---
Carter-Williams is a nice player, but what did he do in college to make you think that he's worthy of going #1 overall?

There are plenty of solid 6'0/6'1 PGs in the NBA. Burke was the best player in college basketball this past season and is easily the safest choice in this year's draft imo. He'll be a solid starter in the league, and the value of a solid PG can't be underestimated.

If I were going on upside, I'd take Noel or Porter. McLemore wouldn't be a bad choice if you need a SG, either. But Carter-Williams? No...

GoHogs1091:

--- Quote from: GatorsGators on May 09, 2013, 10:48:42 pm ---Carter-Williams is a nice player, but what did he do in college to make you think that he's worthy of going #1 overall?

There are plenty of solid 6'0/6'1 PGs in the NBA. Burke was the best player in college basketball this past season and is easily the safest choice in this year's draft imo. He'll be a solid starter in the league, and the value of a solid PG can't be underestimated.

If I were going on upside, I'd take Noel or Porter. McLemore wouldn't be a bad choice if you need a SG, either. But Carter-Williams? No...

--- End quote ---

Carter-Williams completely controlled the game when we played them in Bud Walton this past season.  Right after we played them, someone posted here on Hogville that Syracuse was in cruise control for the entire game.  That is correct, and it was because Carter-Williams was in complete control of the game in Bud Walton.  That is what an elite PG does.  An elite PG completely controls the game.   

When Burke and Michigan came into Bud Walton, we defeated Burke and Michigan. 

GatorsGators:

--- Quote from: GoHogs1091 on May 09, 2013, 10:56:50 pm ---Carter-Williams completely controlled the game when we played them in Bud Walton this past season.  Right after we played them, someone posted here on Hogville that Syracuse was in cruise control for the entire game.  That is correct, and it was because Carter-Williams was in complete control of the game in Bud Walton.  That is what an elite PG does.  An elite PG completely controls the game.   

When Burke and Michigan came into Bud Walton, we defeated Burke and Michigan.

--- End quote ---
One game, lol...

RazorMack:

Noel, or Muhammad, or trade down and get Hardaway Jr

The Hogfather:

--- End quote ---

Completely agree on Oladipo.  I have never got all of the hype.  He's decent, but not a superstar-type.

The Hogfather:

I'd go with Otto Porter or Noel (I'd have to give his knee a major check).

H0GGYSTYLE:

Anthony Bennett, UNLV

GoHogs1091:

--- Quote from: GatorsGators on May 09, 2013, 11:14:29 pm ---One game, lol...

--- End quote ---

It was just one game, but Carter-Williams did something that Burke couldn't do, and that was lead his Team to a win over us in Bud Walton.

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version