General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

Seattle Kings

Pages: (1/1)

The_Bionic_Pig:

I know I'm late to the party but are they really bringing the NBA back to the Emerald City ???

Spider-Pig:

Not determined yet.  Hope they do

mbgrulz:

Fingers crossed...other than NWA, its the best city in the US.

Foshodo:

Almost as stupid a name as NO pelicans...

ErieHog:

Probably.  And Seattle retains the rights to the Sonics name...so I would expect a rebirth of the Sonics.

mbgrulz:


--- Quote from: Foshodo on April 24, 2013, 09:09:45 pm ---Almost as stupid a name as NO pelicans...

--- End quote ---
If you think about it, there are tons of WTH mascot names in pro sports.

Seattle Kings doesn't sound that bad...but I'd love to have the Super Sonics back.

husker71:

Oh it is certain that they will get an existing NBA franchise in Seattle. Not often that you get an owner who will pay $550 million tor a team AND build a stadium with his own money.  Stern will never let this guy get away.  If not the Kings it could be Raptors or Indiana.

Ironhawg:

I loved the Seattle Supersonics.  Marvin Webster, Jack Sikma, Fred Brown, Dennis Johnson!

The_Iceman:

They will be the Sonics, not the Kings

cmpledger:

Be easy to attract players there in free agency with legal marijuana!

latrops:

I spent a number of my formative years in Sacramento, and the Kings became my favorite team back in the days of Reggie Theus and Otis Thorpe...and even Joe Klein for a few years.  I'd be OK with them moving if Sacramento didn't support them, but Sacramento was actually among the better basketball towns in the 80s and 90s, even though the team usually stunk.  It has only been in recent years that support has begun to wane....in direct response to ownership (Maloofs) effectively giving the city and fans the finger.  I'd certainly like for Sacramento to get a fair shot at keeping them...but life usually isn't fair.

The_Iceman:

I loved watching that Kings team with Williams, Christie, Peja, Webber, and Divac.

latrops:


--- Quote from: The_Iceman on April 25, 2013, 09:03:13 am ---I loved watching that Kings team with Williams, Christie, Peja, Webber, and Divac.

--- End quote ---

Williams?  Man, Bibby just gets no respect.  They should have had it in 2002.  That was just their year, but they were jobbed by some of the worst, possibly intentionally one sided officiating to ever occur.  They were deeper and simply better than the Lakers that year...but were denied by slanted officiating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401



The_Bionic_Pig:

I got to admit "White Chocolate" was a beast!!

The_Iceman:


--- Quote from: latrops on April 25, 2013, 09:19:34 am ---Williams?  Man, Bibby just gets no respect.  They should have had it in 2002.  That was just their year, but they were jobbed by some of the worst, possibly intentionally one sided officiating to ever occur.  They were deeper and simply better than the Lakers that year...but were denied by slanted officiating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401

--- End quote ---

I liked the Bibby teams too. Mostly because I was rooting for all things Anti-Lakers. But J-Will was just so much fun to watch, even though Bibby was the much better PG.

The_Iceman:


--- Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 25, 2013, 10:10:49 am ---I got to admit "White Chocolate" was a beast!!

--- End quote ---

I forgot that Jason Williams was the starting PG for the 2006 Miami Heat Championship team. Look at their roster and its easy to see how they won it that year:

PG- Jason Williams
SG- Dwyane Wade
SF- James Posey
PF- Udonis Haslem
C- Shaq
6- Gary Payton
7- Antonie Walker
8- Alonzo Mourning

cmpledger:


--- Quote from: The_Iceman on April 25, 2013, 10:39:19 am ---I forgot that Jason Williams was the starting PG for the 2006 Miami Heat Championship team. Look at their roster and its easy to see how they won it that year:

PG- Jason Williams
SG- Dwyane Wade
SF- James Posey
PF- Udonis Haslem
C- Shaq
6- Gary Payton
7- Antonie Walker
8- Alonzo Mourning

--- End quote ---

9 - Refs

Oliver:


--- Quote from: cmpledger on April 25, 2013, 11:03:13 am ---9 - Refs

--- End quote ---

No joke.  If I were the Mavs, I would have asked the refs if Wade could just shoot his 30 FTs before the start of the game just to get them out of the way.

Dr. Starcs:

Dirk was shooting about as many free throws a few years ago.

HogFaninMemphis:


--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 25, 2013, 12:49:25 pm ---Dirk was shooting about as many free throws a few years ago.

--- End quote ---
Dirk was getting fouled.


Oliver:


--- Quote from: Dr. Starcs on April 25, 2013, 12:49:25 pm ---Dirk was shooting about as many free throws a few years ago.

--- End quote ---

Not even close.


Dwyane Wade shot an absurd 97 FT attempts in the 2006 Finals.

Dirk shot 46 FT attempts in 2011. 

Both of these occurred over 6 games.  You can't even compare them.  You could double Dirk's FT attempts and he'd have less than Wade. 

cmpledger:


--- Quote from: Oliver on April 25, 2013, 03:23:06 pm ---Not even close.


Dwyane Wade shot an absurd 97 FT attempts in the 2006 Finals.

Dirk shot 46 FT attempts in 2011. 

Both of these occurred over 6 games.  You can't even compare them.  You could double Dirk's FT attempts and he'd have less than Wade.

--- End quote ---

Didn't Wade break the record for most number of FT attempts in a playoff (maybe finals) series ever?  Crazy he got more than someone like Shaq

Oliver:


--- Quote from: cmpledger on April 25, 2013, 03:50:54 pm ---Didn't Wade break the record for most number of FT attempts in a playoff (maybe finals) series ever?  Crazy he got more than someone like Shaq

--- End quote ---

I believe so.  And I'm imagining that record will be untouchable. 

But as long as Stern is still the Commissioner, who knows?

Inhogswetrust:


--- Quote from: mbgrulz on April 24, 2013, 09:04:10 pm ---Fingers crossed...other than NWA, its the best city in the US.

--- End quote ---

Well everyone has an opinion.

Inhogswetrust:


--- Quote from: latrops on April 25, 2013, 08:39:11 am ---I spent a number of my formative years in Sacramento, and the Kings became my favorite team back in the days of Reggie Theus and Otis Thorpe...and even Joe Klein for a few years.  I'd be OK with them moving if Sacramento didn't support them, but Sacramento was actually among the better basketball towns in the 80s and 90s, even though the team usually stunk.  It has only been in recent years that support has begun to wane....in direct response to ownership (Maloofs) effectively giving the city and fans the finger.  I'd certainly like for Sacramento to get a fair shot at keeping them...but life usually isn't fair.

--- End quote ---

No it isn't. You know what they say about payback. Especially since Sacramento stole them from Kansas City which got them from Cincinnati, which got them from Rochester.

Inhogswetrust:


--- Quote from: The_Iceman on April 25, 2013, 10:39:19 am ---I forgot that Jason Williams was the starting PG for the 2006 Miami Heat Championship team. Look at their roster and its easy to see how they won it that year:

PG- Jason Williams
SG- Dwyane Wade
SF- James Posey
PF- Udonis Haslem
C- Shaq
6- Gary Payton
7- Antonie Walker
8- Alonzo Mourning

--- End quote ---

Then why couldn't J Will and Posey win it when they were at Memphis? I think you know the answer(s).

The_Iceman:


--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 26, 2013, 12:34:09 pm ---Then why couldn't J Will and Posey win it when they were at Memphis? I think you know the answer(s).

--- End quote ---

I'm confused on why you asked that question?

HogFaninMemphis:


--- Quote from: The_Iceman on April 26, 2013, 12:52:41 pm ---I'm confused on why you asked that question?

--- End quote ---
ha! +1
The 3 or 4 Hall-of-Famers on the team probably had nothing to do with that title...

HogFaninMemphis:

Oh and for the record, J-Will kinda sucked...he was ball hog at times, and at other times forgot how to play defense. Just because he was flashy doesn't mean he was good. That Grizzlies team got better when Damon Stoudamire came in and ran the point.

Inhogswetrust:


--- Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 26, 2013, 04:00:21 pm ---ha! +1
The 3 or 4 Hall-of-Famers on the team probably had nothing to do with that title...

--- End quote ---

THAT was my whole point! J Wil and Posey could have NOT been there and the Heat would have still won it.

Inhogswetrust:


--- Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 26, 2013, 04:02:46 pm ---Oh and for the record, J-Will kinda sucked...he was ball hog at times, and at other times forgot how to play defense. Just because he was flashy doesn't mean he was good. That Grizzlies team got better when Damon Stoudamire came in and ran the point.

--- End quote ---

Ding Ding! We have a winner! You are correct.

HogSophist:


--- Quote from: latrops on April 25, 2013, 09:19:34 am ---Williams?  Man, Bibby just gets no respect.  They should have had it in 2002.  That was just their year, but they were jobbed by some of the worst, possibly intentionally one sided officiating to ever occur.  They were deeper and simply better than the Lakers that year...but were denied by slanted officiating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3436401



--- End quote ---

and peja missing a shot he had seeming hit every time in that series. one of the best series etched in my mind.

phadedhawg:

We are hopeful that we get our Sonics back.  I feel bad for the King fans.  We've been there before.  Seattle is a good basketball town but a lot of crappy things happened in the last 5 years the Sonics were here. 

I will always hate the ownership of OKC

We've got an awesome arena plans.  It will be one of the best in the NBA when complete

Inhogswetrust:


--- Quote from: phadedhawg on April 26, 2013, 06:00:34 pm ---We are hopeful that we get our Sonics back.  I feel bad for the King fans.  We've been there before.  Seattle is a good basketball town but a lot of crappy things happened in the last 5 years the Sonics were here. 

I will always hate the ownership of OKC

We've got an awesome arena plans.  It will be one of the best in the NBA when complete

--- End quote ---

If those arena plans had been done before the Sonics left then they would still be there. These professional team owners hold cities hostage to get new things to keep. When they don't get what they want then they take their toys somewhere else. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying they should be able to do that. Remember though it IS a business. Cities need to quit bending over to these owners.

latrops:

NBA Relocation Committee unanimously voted against approving the Kings move to Seattle.  Not a done deal, yet, as this is just a committee vote and not the final vote by the board of governors...but it is thought that the board of governors will vote the same way.  Appears to be a huge victory for Sacramento and a major setback for Seattle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22167651/nba-relocation-committee-votes-to-recommend-against-moving-kings

HogZombie:

The NBA just shot themselves in the foot, if there isn't at the very least an expansion team coming in the next couple years, Seattle will be done with basketball all together. Personally, I'm done with the NBA, and will be getting my basketball jones from the Razorbacks once Coach has the players for his system in place.

Oliver:


--- Quote from: latrops on April 29, 2013, 05:49:07 pm ---NBA Relocation Committee unanimously voted against approving the Kings move to Seattle.  Not a done deal, yet, as this is just a committee vote and not the final vote by the board of governors...but it is thought that the board of governors will vote the same way.  Appears to be a huge victory for Sacramento and a major setback for Seattle.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/22167651/nba-relocation-committee-votes-to-recommend-against-moving-kings

--- End quote ---

Receiving the Kings franchise and having no franchise is pretty much the same thing. 

Don't see how this is a major setback for Seattle. 

Oliver:


--- Quote from: HogZombie on April 29, 2013, 06:44:16 pm ---The NBA just shot themselves in the foot, if there isn't at the very least an expansion team coming in the next couple years, Seattle will be done with basketball all together. Personally, I'm done with the NBA, and will be getting my basketball jones from the Razorbacks once Coach has the players for his system in place.

--- End quote ---

Once Czar Stern is gone, the NBA could become a reasonable league again.

husker71:

Somebody better get to Seattle!!  great fanbase(with disposable income) owner with deep pockets who is willing to spend it even using his own money for a new arena.  Those are not easy to come by right now.  Take Indiana or Toronto put back Nate McMillian as head coach and lets go!!

SONofHAM:

They would go back to the Sonics, but Seattle is in King County.

Keyser Sooieze:


--- Quote from: Foshodo on April 24, 2013, 09:09:45 pm ---Almost as stupid a name as NO pelicans...

--- End quote ---
You must have missed this http://tinyurl.com/a6h6z7t
(I turned into a tinyurl to avoid offending people who dislike swearing. Be advised if u are allergic to that.)

Hog Milanese:


--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 27, 2013, 07:47:43 am ---If those arena plans had been done before the Sonics left then they would still be there. These professional team owners hold cities hostage to get new things to keep. When they don't get what they want then they take their toys somewhere else. That's just the way it is. I'm not saying they should be able to do that. Remember though it IS a business. Cities need to quit bending over to these owners.

--- End quote ---

http://sonicsgate.com/

phadedhawg:

This has been a gut wrenching process and we are running out of options.  Our rabid hatred of Stern has went to 11.  He has done everything in his power to ensure that Sacramento keeps the Kings, which is his prerogative.   But he did the exact opposite to take the Sonics to OKC. 

The reason the NBA hates our ownership group is we are privately financed.  The NBA wants to keep the established precedent of tax payers digging into their pockets for arenas.  Seattle would be the fly in the ointment. 

Also we were too honest.  OKC lied and said they would do everything to keep the Sonics in Seattle, even though all the email correspondence between OKC group and Stern established they never intended to stay.  Seattle said from day one we want to the Kings and we are moving them to Seattle. 

We fought too hard to keep the Sonics and Stern is making us pay.  He is scared of our financing model.  It's not happening until he is dead sad to say.

The_Bionic_Pig:

Short of a NBA exspansion the Milwaukee Bucks are leasing their building and are the best  viable option of a team not needing a total overhaul to put a winning product on the court unless MJ is convinced fan support for his Bobcats will never ascend.

ErieHog:


--- Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 14, 2013, 07:23:43 pm ---Short of a NBA exspansion the Milwaukee Bucks are leasing their building and are the best  viable option of a team not needing a total overhaul to put a winning product on the court unless MJ is convinced fan support for his Bobcats will never ascend.

--- End quote ---

Milwaukee is not a viable candidate to move.   They may lease the building, but they have extremely deep roots in the community, and a remarkable continuity with their relationships with  both local politicians and even the colleges--  Marquette and the Bucks have the most incestuous college-pro coaching history of any institution/franchise pair in the NBA.    Kohl is Wisconsin.

phadedhawg:

22-8  Kings stay Sacramento...

ugh...

psooie:

Something fishy is going on here but is that new for the NBA? Corrupt league, corrupt commish don't really know why it has any fans but each its own.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version