General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

NBA Then and Now

Pages: (1/2) > >>

hogman99:

Just got through watching the 1988 NBA All Star Game and those guys were pretty darn good!!  I would take the best 12 of those All Stars and someone else could take the current group and I will spot you 20 points and would still win by 20.  Unreal how good they were as both basketball players and athletes.

My starting lineup:

PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Michael Jordon
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Karl Malone
C:  Hakeem Olajuwon

Bench:
Charles Barkley
Isiah Thomas
Patrick Ewing
James Worthy
Clyde Drexler
Dominique Wlikens
Kevin McKale

OldArmy94:

The NBA was a beautiful sport to watch back in the 80s before the Detroit Pistons changed everything.  Now, it's a street sport full of tough guy wannabes.

ErieHog:

Have either of you watched an NBA game since 2003?

This is a new golden era of basketball.   The top talent may be a tiny click lower, but the bottom 3/4ths of players in the league are so much better now.

hogman99:

I do watch the NBA on regualar basis, but I don't think the players today are as good as the ones from the late 80's early 90's era.  The players I listed above would manhandle the all stars of today. I also think the bench players of that era are better than then today's.  Example, Ronnie Brewer would not be playing in the NBA at that time.  He can not shoot the ball well enough to compete on a day to day basis.  Carmelo Anthony would be a Adrian Dantly/Mark Aguirre type player. Good player, but not elite.

Edit:  I read were MJ beat Michael Kidd Gilchrist in a one on one game......last week!! MJ is 50 and can still school the new boys!!

Hogfaniam:

Mid 80's Lakers, 150 possessions per game.  Today, teams are between 90-102.

Boring.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: hogman99 on February 16, 2013, 12:35:45 pm ---I do watch the NBA on regualar basis, but I don't think the players today are as good as the ones from the late 80's early 90's era.  The players I listed above would manhandle the all stars of today. I also think the bench players of that era are better than then today's.  Example, Ronnie Brewer would not be playing in the NBA at that time.  He can not shoot the ball well enough to compete on a day to day basis.  Carmelo Anthony would be a Adrian Dantly/Mark Aguirre type player. Good player, but not elite.

Edit:  I read were MJ beat Michael Kidd Gilchrist in a one on one game......last week!! MJ is 50 and can still school the new boys!!

--- End quote ---

I grew up watching the NBA in it's last golden era, and have paid very close attention for the last 30 years-- and today's players would run absolutely roughshod over the league of the 80s.

Ronnie Brewer would absolutely have had an NBA place in the 80s--  you remember the Dennis Johnsons and the Byron Scotts of the league, but completely forget it was home to the Dennis Hopsons of the world as well.   

It's like the nonsense about shooting and ball skills being worse now-- it's fuzzy headed memory, and not fact.    Shooting percentages are largely no different now than they were from 85 to 88,  for example--- but people swear that shooting is a lost art.       The NBA has even legalized zone defense, which would have murdered many of the marginal/complimentary players of the 80s.

The level of basketball played today is exemplary,  but played at a completely different pace-- which is what tends to kill the perception of the quality of the game.

Hogfaniam:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on February 16, 2013, 01:13:02 pm ---I grew up watching the NBA in it's last golden era, and have paid very close attention for the last 30 years-- and today's players would run absolutely roughshod over the league of the 80s.

Ronnie Brewer would absolutely have had an NBA place in the 80s--  you remember the Dennis Johnsons and the Byron Scotts of the league, but completely forget it was home to the Dennis Hopsons of the world as well.   

It's like the nonsense about shooting and ball skills being worse now-- it's fuzzy headed memory, and not fact.    Shooting percentages are largely no different now than they were from 85 to 88,  for example--- but people swear that shooting is a lost art.       The NBA has even legalized zone defense, which would have murdered many of the marginal/complimentary players of the 80s.

The level of basketball played today is exemplary,  but played at a completely different pace-- which is what tends to kill the perception of the quality of the game.

--- End quote ---

And boring as hell.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 16, 2013, 01:15:25 pm ---And boring as hell.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, watching phenomenally skilled players play basketball at the highest level possible is just so terrible.

hogman99:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on February 16, 2013, 01:13:02 pm ---I grew up watching the NBA in it's last golden era, and have paid very close attention for the last 30 years-- and today's players would run absolutely roughshod over the league of the 80s.

--- End quote ---

Erie, I respect your opinion, but we can agree to disagree.

Hogfaniam:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on February 16, 2013, 01:18:06 pm ---Yeah, watching phenomenally skilled players play basketball at the highest level possible is just so terrible.

--- End quote ---

Not terrible.  Just boring.  No offense to you, the players, teams, whatever.  They need to allow the offense more freedom and lesson the mauling, so these athletes  can be athletic. 

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: OldArmy94 on February 16, 2013, 11:55:51 am ---The NBA was a beautiful sport to watch back in the 80s before the Detroit Pistons changed everything.  Now, it's a street sport full of tough guy wannabes.

--- End quote ---

You need to turn on your TV and watch the Heat play.  Or the Spurs.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 16, 2013, 01:29:31 pm ---Not terrible.  Just boring.  No offense to you, the players, teams, whatever.  They need to allow the offense more freedom and lesson the mauling, so these athletes  can be athletic. 

--- End quote ---

There's less mauling than at any point since the 80s, and maybe even then.  It's a PGs league now. 

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 16, 2013, 12:46:32 pm ---Mid 80's Lakers, 150 possessions per game.  Today, teams are between 90-102.

Boring.

--- End quote ---

You sure about those stats:

http://thereal2kinsider.blogspot.com/2010/02/history-of-nba-scoring-and-rule-changes.html

Seems scoring is about the same.

yraciv:

I think watching replays of some of the old games are boring as hell.  Yes it's a different style of basketball, and yes I would take the Dream Team over the current superstars, but I think Erie nailed it on the head with the depth of the league.  With early entries, talented players are entering the league at a much younger age. Add in the fact, basketball's popularity has grown worldwide, and there is no denying that teams are going to be much deeper.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: hogman99 on February 16, 2013, 12:35:45 pm ---I do watch the NBA on regualar basis, but I don't think the players today are as good as the ones from the late 80's early 90's era.  The players I listed above would manhandle the all stars of today. I also think the bench players of that era are better than then today's.  Example, Ronnie Brewer would not be playing in the NBA at that time.  He can not shoot the ball well enough to compete on a day to day basis.  Carmelo Anthony would be a Adrian Dantly/Mark Aguirre type player. Good player, but not elite.

--- End quote ---

Ronnie Brewer would definitely have been playing in the NBA then.  You have to remember, the games you watched then were only the cream of the crop teams.  You never got a midweek game between an average Bulls team and a middle of the pack Utah.  You were seeing primarily premier games with premier players. 

And none of the players of that era were "manhandling" LeBron, or for that matter Kobe or Duncan.  Jordan loves his era and thinks it's the best, but even he said those three plus Nowitzki would be successful then.

Hogfaniam:

--- Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 16, 2013, 01:33:20 pm ---There's less mauling than at any point since the 80s, and maybe even then.  It's a PGs league now. 

--- End quote ---

More so point forwards, size wise. Ball skill levels are blurring.  Bigger guys can push it than used to.  He'll, Marc gasol can bring the ball up as good as most, just slower. 

All I know is, shots per game are way, way down from the show time period.  And so is the fun, for me.  I'll watch football for the beating and banging.

Dr. Starcs:

Not much beating and banging allowed in football anymore.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 16, 2013, 01:46:08 pm ---More so point forwards, size wise. Ball skill levels are blurring.  Bigger guys can push it than used to.  He'll, Marc gasol can bring the ball up as good as most, just slower. 

All I know is, shots per game are way, way down from the show time period.  And so is the fun, for me.  I'll watch football for the beating and banging.

--- End quote ---

I don't know how you watch, say, Thunder v. Heat or any of the top teams and conclude it's all banging and beating.  The rules have been explicitly changed to prevent what it was in the early 90s.  The game actually flows better now than it has in a long time.

The difference is that the players are bigger and stronger than 30 years ago, so maybe it seems that way.  And the defenses are far more sophisticated. 

Hogfaniam:

--- Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 16, 2013, 02:05:36 pm ---I don't know how you watch, say, Thunder v. Heat or any of the top teams and conclude it's all banging and beating.  The rules have been explicitly changed to prevent what it was in the early 90s.  The game actually flows better now than it has in a long time.

The difference is that the players are bigger and stronger than 30 years ago, so maybe it seems that way.  And the defenses are far more sophisticated. 

--- End quote ---

More scoring, less boring.

It may be time to widen the floors.  The shot clock was added to force more shots.  What else can be done? 

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 16, 2013, 02:13:35 pm ---More scoring, less boring.

It may be time to widen the floors.  The shot clock was added to force more shots.  What else can be done? 

--- End quote ---

Next Thursday, San Antonio plays the Clippers on TNT.  I'd encourage you to watch.  Unfortunately, it's the late game.

Hogfaniam:

--- Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 16, 2013, 02:26:18 pm ---Next Thursday, San Antonio plays the Clippers on TNT.  I'd encourage you to watch.  Unfortunately, it's the late game.

--- End quote ---

Both top 10 scoring teams and averaging 10 per game less than in the day.

I was at the Griz-Wolves game the other night and was struck by how "narrow" the court looked with all 10 in the half court.

husker71:

It was Pat Riley and the Knicks that really ruined basketball to me not the Pistons.  Knicks mauled everyone and then looked over to Riley for which play to run.  Just the opposite of his showtime Lakers.

BatesvilleHOG:

Kinda like the argument of this past olympic gold medal basketball team could beat the 94' dream team..

That team was the greatest ever assembled and in my opinion would wipe the floor and mop the bathrooms with the recently assembled olympic teams for the USA.

Hogfaniam:

--- Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on February 16, 2013, 05:39:53 pm ---Kinda like the argument of this past olympic gold medal basketball team could be the 94' dream team..

That team was the greatest ever assembled and in my opinion would wipe the floor and mop the bathrooms with the recently assembled olympic teams for the USA.

--- End quote ---

this last team was very, very, very good and played with a purpose.

has a computer sim game been run betwee dream team one and this last one?

yraciv:

--- Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 16, 2013, 05:47:18 pm ---this last team was very, very, very good and played with a purpose.

--- End quote ---

I agree that the last one was very good. Yes I'd take the dream team, but I wouldn't say mop the floor and the simulations whatifsports has done reflect that.
http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=2012NBA_USABasketball2012vs1992

husker71:

I think the argument about depth is bogus only because nobody cares about players 9 thru 12.  In the playoffs all teams pretty much leave it at 8 players and some even 7 who play important minutes.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: husker71 on February 16, 2013, 05:59:23 pm ---I think the argument about depth is bogus only because nobody cares about players 9 thru 12.  In the playoffs all teams pretty much leave it at 8 players and some even 7 who play important minutes.

--- End quote ---

The standard NBA rotation sees an average of just over 8 guys playing 10 minutes a game, roughly, with some variation on system.     The NBA now is so much better from 4 to 12 on the active roster that it is a very, very noteworthy difference.    It completely  changes the complexion of the game, and provides for a markedly better quality of second unit and mixed unit play.

BatesvilleHOG:

--- Quote from: Hogfaniam on February 16, 2013, 05:47:18 pm ---this last team was very, very, very good and played with a purpose.

--- End quote ---
yes. Different simulators said both teams could win over each other for multiple reasons, but I can't see the 92' team (Jordan, Malone, Bird, Magic, Ewing, Pippen, and Barkley) losing to the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Melo, Westbrook, and Chris Paul.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on February 16, 2013, 05:39:53 pm ---Kinda like the argument of this past olympic gold medal basketball team could beat the 94' dream team..

--- End quote ---

I assume you mean the '92 team?  A lot would depend on the rules they played by and the pace of the game.  Up and down favors the recent.  Halfcourt favors '92 because of the decided advantage down low. 

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on February 16, 2013, 06:08:03 pm --- yes. Different simulators said both teams could win over each other for multiple reasons, but I can't see the 92' team (Jordan, Malone, Bird, Magic, Ewing, Pippen, and Barkley) losing to the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Durant, Melo, Westbrook, and Chris Paul.

--- End quote ---

Take Bird out of that equation.  He could barely get up and down the court. 

GoHogs1091:

I am not a LeBron James fan, but the only player from back then who could have possibly effectively defended LeBron was Scottie Pippen. 

I watched quite a lot of the Thunder/Heat game on Thursday night, and there was a stretch right before Halftime in which LeBron scored 10 straight points for the Heat, and Oklahoma City had a guy right on LeBron, and he still scored.  One of the shots during that 10 straight points stretch for LeBron was a heavily contested fall away long perimeter shot by LeBron, and when it went in, the fans in the stands just gasped.     

The T.V. Commentators stated during the game Thursday Night that Oklahoma City's Head Coach, Scott Brooks, stated that he had spent the entire offseason watching film of LeBron to see if there was any possibly defensive wrinkle that could be used against LeBron, and Brooks stated that there is none.  They said that Brooks stated that is the testament to the greatness of LeBron.   

jamie72921:

--- End quote ---

This is where stats are for losers again.

Today's game has lost the mid range game that was a mainstay of pro ball in the 80s and 90s.

Everything is a 3 or at the rim, so it's not surprising that the %'s are close. But there is no way that the skill level is near the same.

Are you really trying to claim that Dwight Howard is as skilled as guys like Cartwright, Ewing, Olajuwan, etc?

There are zero great centers in the game today and few great power forwards, certainly not any that could have hung with the likes of Worthy, Malone, or Barkley.

It's a guard's game today simply because those are the most readily available guys with skill in any era of the game.

Today's players couldn't matchup in the post while yesterday's players certainly had enough athleticism to hang with today's backcourt players.

Hogimus Prime:

The NBA would be even better if it dropped some teams like Charlotte and New Orleans.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2013, 09:36:43 pm ---This is where stats are for losers again.

Today's game has lost the mid range game that was a mainstay of pro ball in the 80s and 90s.

Everything is a 3 or at the rim, so it's not surprising that the %'s are close. But there is no way that the skill level is near the same.

--- End quote ---

Actually, stats are the reason that's the case.  The percentages make the long 2 the worst shot in basketball so offenses aren't going to be designed to take it.  There are still guys who can shoot it, but why design an offense for it?

--- Quote ---Are you really trying to claim that Dwight Howard is as skilled as guys like Cartwright, Ewing, Olajuwan, etc?

There are zero great centers in the game today and few great power forwards, certainly not any that could have hung with the likes of Worthy, Malone, or Barkley.

--- End quote ---

Al Jefferson, Marc Gasol and Howard are certainly as good as Cartwright.  You're right on Olajuwan and Ewing though, although Howard may ultimately end his career being just as good as at least Ewing.   

You just named a small forward (Worthy), with Malone and Barkley.  But off the top of my head Griffin, Duncan, Nowitzki (power or small), James (power or small) are as good at the forward spot.  An argument can be made for Duncan at center. 

--- Quote ---It's a guard's game today simply because those are the most readily available guys with skill in any era of the game.

Today's players couldn't matchup in the post while yesterday's players certainly had enough athleticism to hang with today's backcourt players.

--- End quote ---

It's a guard's game because the rules have changed.  And the 3s and 4s are more multidimensional.  But you're right on the 5s.

jamie72921:

Worthy played BOTH the small and power forward positions at times.

James is not a power forward.

Sorry, but the mid range game doesn't exist because the guys can't shoot it well enough to make the shot a good shot.

The guys back in the 80's could.

Kevin Garnett still has a great mid range game and is a vital part of the Celtic offense.

You guys can continue to fool yourselves though. I have actually SEEN both and KNOW better.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2013, 09:55:16 pm ---Worthy played BOTH the small and power forward positions at times.

Sorry, but the mid range game doesn't exist because the guys can't shoot it well enough to make the shot a good shot.

Kevin Garnett still has a great mid range game and is a vital part of the Celtic offense.

You guys can continue to fool yourselves though. I have actually SEEN both and KNOW better.

--- End quote ---

Rose-colored memory is more comforting than actual results?

I've seen both.  The quality of basketball overall is much higher now.   It's just not as flowing or pretty.

jamie72921:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on February 16, 2013, 09:56:59 pm ---Rose-colored memory is more comforting than actual results?

I've seen both.  The quality of basketball overall is much higher now.   It's just not as flowing or pretty.

--- End quote ---

No it's not, but it's a free country and you can pretend all you like.

The foreign players are one of the biggest indicators out there that the play is down. These guys couldn't cut it in the 80's.

We still stomp them internationally, but now they STAR on NBA teams.

Sorry, but I used to make time to watch NBA games. These days I don't even though I find guys like James, Paul, and Griffin fun to watch.

The reason I don't is because the skill level sucks so bad it isn't worth my time.

Carry on.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2013, 10:01:51 pm ---No it's not, but it's a free country and you can pretend all you like.

--- End quote ---

You're the one with their head in the sand.

--- Quote ---
The foreign players are one of the biggest indicators out there that the play is down. These guys couldn't cut it in the 80's.

--- End quote ---

They're among the strongest indicators that the play is *better*;  the available talent pool is larger.

--- Quote ---We still stomp them internationally, but now they STAR on NBA teams.

Sorry, but I used to make time to watch NBA games. These days I don't even though I find guys like James, Paul, and Griffin fun to watch.

The reason I don't is because the skill level sucks so bad it isn't worth my time.

Carry on.

--- End quote ---

You really don't watch basketball.  That much is extremely evident.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2013, 09:55:16 pm ---Worthy played BOTH the small and power forward positions at times.

--- End quote ---

James is bigger and stronger and more skilled than Barkley.  And he's only an inch shorter than Malone, and more skilled.

--- Quote ---Sorry, but the mid range game doesn't exist because the guys can't shoot it well enough to make the shot a good shot.

--- End quote ---

If you have a higher percentage shot (close to the basket) or an equal percentage shot that gives you an extra point (the three), you'd be foolish to take deep 2s.  This is not rocket science.  And if you can accurately shoot the 3, why do you think they can't shoot shots closer in?

--- Quote ---Kevin Garnett still has a great mid range game and is a vital part of the Celtic offense.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, as a center stepping out.  Like Gasol or Duncan. 

--- Quote ---You guys can continue to fool yourselves though. I have actually SEEN both and KNOW better.

--- End quote ---

Your opinions aren't fact.  I have seen both too.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2013, 10:01:51 pm ---No it's not, but it's a free country and you can pretend all you like.

We still stomp them internationally, but now they STAR on NBA teams.

--- End quote ---

I thought you were just looking through the fog of time and memories of your youth - now I see you're just foolish. 

--- Quote ---Sorry, but I used to make time to watch NBA games. These days I don't even though I find guys like James, Paul, and Griffin fun to watch.

Carry on.

--- End quote ---

You just don't like basketball if the 3 you named don't entertain you.

GoHogs1091:

--- Quote from: jamie72921 on February 16, 2013, 09:36:43 pm ---Today's game has lost the mid range game that was a mainstay of pro ball in the 80s and 90s.

--- End quote ---

While I agree in general there has been a decrease in the mid range game of today's pro ball, the following player shows that there hasn't been a decrease in his mid range game as evidenced by this play in the clutch in Game 2 of the Finals last Spring (video also contains 2 slow replays of the play; make sure to have your computer volume on to listen what is said during the video).

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dpfbfvud5s
With what James has been doing over this past Year, I am beginning to feel that the last 2 basically unguardable players in the NBA have been George Gervin and LeBron James. 

yraciv:

--- Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2013, 12:04:04 am --- I am beginning to feel that the last 2 basically unguardable players in the NBA have been George Gervin and LeBron James. 

--- End quote ---

Exactly! George Gervin and Lebron! You heard it hear first....the only two.

GoHogs1091:

--- Quote from: yraciv on February 17, 2013, 12:37:21 am ---Exactly! George Gervin and Lebron! You heard it hear first....the only two.

--- End quote ---

Hubie Brown has stated that when Gervin was driving, he (Brown) would say do we have him under control tonight, and the guy with the Stats would say "your right he only has 37."

What Brown said starts at the :11 second mark of the following video about George Gervin.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5s6bSfOBpI   

Hogfaniam:

--- Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 17, 2013, 01:37:26 am ---Hubie Brown has stated that when Gervin was driving, he (Brown) would say do we have him under control tonight, and the guy with the Stats would say "your right he only has 37."

What Brown said starts at the :11 second mark of the following video about George Gervin.

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5s6bSfOBpI   

--- End quote ---

Every scoring leader was unstoppable the yr(s) they were doing their thing.  All the way from tiny archibald to wilt and Kareem.  For three yrs of bob mcadoo's career, no one could contain him,   He was the last 30/15 man.  By the way, he has Lebrons ear in Miami. 

passinghog:

Why do we have a thread complaining about the quality of the NBA by people that don't even watch NBA games?

How about a thread about college basketball that acknowledges the staggering drop in the quality of those games? It's become almost unwatchable, with ratings steadily dropping with the # of games on TV at an all time high. Meanwhile, the NBA ratings have been on the way up over the last couple of years.

Ironically, most of the problems with college basketball are coaching and rules related, not player-related. Most of the things you read on college hoops message boards bash players, but never acknowledge that coaches of today micro-manage and over-coach the game.

passinghog:

Improving the quality of college ball will make the NBA even better.

-get rid of the 35 second shot clock (make it 24 seconds like the NBA, need more possessions)
-gotta get rid of some of the zone defenses (start with the 2-3 zone, you can't use it in the NBA, get rid of it in college)
-why not have 4 10-minute quarters?
-adopt the 8 second count to get the ball across half court (that would help Arkansas)

Simple changes that would improve the quality of college ball

(I know I've derailed this thread, but it's gotta be discussed)

Dr. Starcs:

Thought about this yesterday, espn gameday was talking about improvements that could be made to college basketball.

Allowing the defensive team to immediately get the ball out of the net and playing offense rather than having to take the ball out of bounds might encourage more fast break basketball.

Final 2:00 of the game, allow either team to get possession after made baskets.

husker71:

Gervin could not really  be stopped ( he was one of my favorite players)  In the 79 conference championship Washington realized this and went to a big lineup thus forcing Ice to play something that was close to defense and he had to cover either Dandridge who ran him through picks or Ballard who would take him low.  This slowed him down some and use some energy on defense.  Cocaine late  in his career was what really stopped him.

cmpledger:

Allen Iverson was also unguardable in his prime. Second best PG of all time. Can't believe a team won't sign him right now

hoglady:

Just give me Magic, Bird and Jordan on the same team with just 2 decent players - and I like my chances against any team of any era.

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version