General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

I'm starting to like Lebron James

Pages: (1/2) > >>

HogInFlorida:

This isn't alright. I'm supposed to hate Lebron James. But this was really cool of him. I love when players do stuff like this for fans.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqd3jUPq3Lw

pignosticator:

That was awesome!

mindtoxicity:

That is awesome how excited he got.

SixtySecondsOfPitino:

Bro cuddles.

hogdogcrazy:


--- Quote from: HogInFlorida on January 26, 2013, 03:16:37 am ---This isn't alright. I'm supposed to hate Lebron James. But this was really cool of him. I love when players do stuff like this for fans.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqd3jUPq3Lw
--- End quote ---


That's hilarious.  Not 15 minutes ago I said to my wife,  "I still don't like Lebron but that was pretty cool of him."

DeltaBoy:

Read some where He does that a lot.

HG:

Unquestionably cool.  Still don't like him, but it's fun to watch him get excited about a hook shot from half-court.  No pro athlete who loves their sport that much can be all bad.

HiggiePiggy:

I like him.  He is a great person. He made a stupid press conference to leave Cleveland, but he has always tried to help out the communities and is always respectful even when people are slamming him constantly. 

Buff:

He's guaranteed to do something stupid later that makes you temporarily question why you ever liked him.  It's the circle of Bron.

HiggiePiggy:


--- Quote from: Buff on January 26, 2013, 10:53:21 am ---He's guaranteed to do something stupid later that makes you temporarily question why you ever liked him.  It's the circle of Bron.

--- End quote ---

It's not really the stupid thing that stands out.  It is how he is as a person and comes across that you can see that he does care a lot about people.  Everyone does dumb things from time to time, but if you actually watch them you can see that a person is a good person just makes dumb decisions sometimes.

Everyone hates him for the Cleveland thing, but even in that he had donated a lot to charity.   Yes the decision was stupid, but you can see he does care about people.

Hogfaniam:

The 'holy crap' look on his face when he saw lebron was priceless.

He won 75k from the LeBron James family foundation


blyhog:

That crazy moment will become the lore of his family gatherings for years to come.How can anyone forget being hug tackled by BronBron!!!!

cmpledger:

Dumb for people to hate Lebron James. He's a fantastic person that's only done ONE thing wrong his entire career and everyone hates him for it.

bellavistamike:

Hell, I loved the fact that he rides his bike to playoff games...

This was cool...

arkjay19:


--- Quote from: cmpledger on January 26, 2013, 02:19:56 pm ---Dumb for people to hate Lebron James. He's a fantastic person that's only done ONE thing wrong his entire career and everyone hates him for it.

--- End quote ---

Pure ignorance.  His handlers have done a great job influencing your perception of him.

Melorock089:

I think he's matured alot recently.

Pigsknuckles:

Had a lot of hate on the guy too until I watched him punk my Thunder in the finals. Earned my respect.

HiggiePiggy:


--- Quote from: Pigsknuckles on January 26, 2013, 04:39:48 pm ---Had a lot of hate on the guy too until I watched him punk my Thunder in the finals. Earned my respect.

--- End quote ---

Winning the ring has really lifted a lot of the crap off of him that had been said about him for the last 5 or so years. 

I am glad he showed up in the finals like he did.   He is a very good player and in my opinion the best player in the NBA by far right now. 

Cure:


--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 26, 2013, 08:19:32 pm ---  He is a very good player and in my opinion the best player in the NBA by far right now. 

--- End quote ---
Has been for 6 years.

Bubba's Bruisers:

Never understood all the Lebron hate, really.  He went to Miami to play with his buddy and win a championship.  Big deal.

HogInFlorida:


--- Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 26, 2013, 09:10:23 pm ---Never understood all the Lebron hate, really.  He went to Miami to play with his buddy and win a championship.  Big deal.

--- End quote ---

You're oversimplifying the matter. There was a freaking TV show about it.

HiggiePiggy:


--- Quote from: HogInFlorida on January 26, 2013, 09:20:30 pm ---You're oversimplifying the matter. There was a freaking TV show about it.

--- End quote ---

Yeah so.   There are tv shows all the time with crap on it at least in his he made a ton of money for charity.   

arkjay19:


--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 26, 2013, 09:48:21 pm ---Yeah so.   There are tv shows all the time with crap on it at least in his he made a ton of money for charity.   

--- End quote ---

Again, ignorance to think that ALL LeBron James hate stems from that one incident, even as such a triumph of pure douchery that it was.

We found out that he was (I don't know if he still is) a huge narcissistic @$$ behind the scenes.  It's not entirely his fault considering the way he grew up in the media, but he still wasn't the cuddly teddy bear his handlers made him out to be.

Then there is how he gave up on his team in the playoffs two years in a row, with his final year in Cleveland being the worst of the two.  You can feed me that crap about how he carried his team, which he did, but you never saw guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc. give up in ANY situation EVER.

To his credit, he seems to have grown up a lot on and off the court during his time with Miami and this scene with the fan was freakin' awesome.  But that doesn't change the fact that people had plenty of reason to dislike the guy.

Lakerhog:


--- Quote from: HogInFlorida on January 26, 2013, 03:16:37 am ---This isn't alright. I'm supposed to hate Lebron James. But this was really cool of him. I love when players do stuff like this for fans.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqd3jUPq3Lw
--- End quote ---
I don't hate him as much as I used to. I really respect his game.

iluvmyslute89:

He was in the mood for some Chinese.

Too Soon?

kc_hawg:


--- Quote from: HogInFlorida on January 26, 2013, 09:20:30 pm ---You're oversimplifying the matter. There was a freaking TV show about it.

--- End quote ---
It's a generational thing guys.  These kids who don't know what true sportsmanship is all about - all they have today are the Lebron's, Ray Lewis's, Metta World Peace's and Chad Johnson's of the world as glorified examples of athletes. 

They didn't get to see or enjoy the days of Jordan, Bird, Emmitt Smith, or Sidney Moncrief.  Guys who did it for the love of the game - to win titles, not to jump to another team to get more money or to win because that team had other all-stars who could win it for them.  Chicago was nothing before Jordan.  Same with Emmitt and Dallas.  Lebron could have done the same for Cleveland, but he couldn't stick it out. 

It's also possible that Lebron might never have been able to win a chpionship at Cleveland.  He simply doesn't make the guys around him better enough like Jordon did.  I mean seriously - Cartwright, Paxton, LOL.  For that matter, Miami doesn't win least year if Rose doesn't get hurt.  And they aren't winning it this year with the Thunder playing like they are.  In fact, Durant has a much better chance of being the next Jordan wannabe than Lebron.

Having said that, Lebron is truly amazing.  So much talent.

TomasPistola:

I dislike Lebron the person. I don't think he has the mental toughness you see in the greats like MJ, Magic, Larry, etc. That being said, I blame The Decision as much on ESPN as I do Lebron. ESPN is too big for it's britches.

Cure:


--- Quote from: kc_hawg on January 26, 2013, 10:50:56 pm ---
They didn't get to see or enjoy the days of Jordan, Bird, Emmitt Smith, or Sidney Moncrief.  Guys who did it for the love of the game - to win titles, not to jump to another team to getter money or to win because it had other all-stars who could win it for them.  Chicago was nothing before Jordan.

It's also possible that Lebron's might never have been able to win a chpionship at Cleveland.  He simply doesn't make the guys around him better enough like Jordon did.  I mean seriously - Cartwright, Paxton, LOL.  For that matter, Miama doesn't win least year if Rose doesn't get hurt.  And they aren't winning it this year with the Thunder playing like they are.  In fact, Durant has a much better chance of being the next Jordan wannabe than Lebron.

Having said that, Lebron is truly amazing.  So much talent.

--- End quote ---
Are you kidding me? LeBron left Cleveland and they had the worst record in the entire NBA, the same bums that he lifted to the best record the year before. Did he not take less money to leave?  Did you forget that the Heat blew past the Bulls with a healthy Rose in 5 games the previous year?

Jordan didn't have Pippen on that first championship squad? Surprised me.

Bird didn't have help either? Parish, Archibald and McHale say hi.

You blame the guy for leaving when the best his front office could do was old Shaq and Antawn Jamison? Lol. By the way, they beat OKC this season already.

With that said, I'm happy the guy won that money.

kc_hawg:


--- Quote from: Cure on January 26, 2013, 11:02:25 pm ---Are you kidding me? LeBron left Cleveland and they had the worst record in the entire NBA, the same bums that he lifted to the best record the year before. Did he not take less money to leave?  Did you forget that the Heat blew past the Bulls with a healthy Rose in 5 games the previous year?

Jordan didn't have Pippen on that first championship squad? Surprised me.

Bird didn't have help either? Parish, Archibald and McHale say hi.

You blame the guy for leaving when the best his front office could do was old Shaq and Antawn Jamison? Lol. By the way, they beat OKC this season already.

With that said, I'm happy the guy won that money.

--- End quote ---
Nope.  Not kidding.  Like I said, Michael made players around him better.  Better enough to win Championships.  Lebron couldn't do that.  And he still can't.  They won't win another unless they backdoor it again through injury like the first one.  It's called Heart.  Character.  Will.  It's about not believing you are bigger than the game.

And LOL blaming the front office for Shaq and Jamison.  Jordan would have made them all-stars again.  Lebron couldn't do that.  By the way, even the Wizards win games every once in a while.  Just watch and see.  I'll be back to follow up to make sure you see and understand the truth.

LZH:


--- Quote from: kc_hawg on January 26, 2013, 10:50:56 pm ---It's a generational thing guys.  These kids who don't know what true sportsmanship is all about - all they have today are the Lebron's, Ray Lewis's, Metta World Peace's and Chad Johnson's of the world as glorified examples of athletes. 

They didn't get to see or enjoy the days of Jordan, Bird, Emmitt Smith, or Sidney Moncrief.  Guys who did it for the love of the game - to win titles, not to jump to another team to get more money or to win because that team had other all-stars who could win it for them.  Chicago was nothing before Jordan.  Same with Emmitt and Dallas.  Lebron could have done the same for Cleveland, but he couldn't stick it out. 

It's also possible that Lebron might never have been able to win a chpionship at Cleveland.  He simply doesn't make the guys around him better enough like Jordon did.  I mean seriously - Cartwright, Paxton, LOL.  For that matter, Miami doesn't win least year if Rose doesn't get hurt.  And they aren't winning it this year with the Thunder playing like they are.  In fact, Durant has a much better chance of being the next Jordan wannabe than Lebron.

Having said that, Lebron is truly amazing.  So much talent.

--- End quote ---

True, this.  I can't, in a million years, see Jordan ever pulling a stunt like James, Wade, and whats-his-name did - dancing around that stage like a music video.  And for what?  Signing with the Heat?  That was embarrassing, I don't care how old you are.  I don't watch much NBA, but will forever smile every time the Heat get the hell beat out of them as long as he's there.

Cure:


--- Quote from: kc_hawg on January 26, 2013, 11:19:19 pm ---Nope.  Not kidding.  Like I said, Michael made players around him better.  Better enough to win Championships.  Lebron couldn't do that.  And he still can't.  They won't win another unless they backdoor it again through injury like the first one.  It's called Heart.  Character.  Will.  It's about not believing you are bigger than the game.

And LOL blaming the front office for Shaq and Jamison.  Jordan would have made them all-stars again.  Lebron couldn't do that.

--- End quote ---
You do know that the front office handles the roster right? What happened to the Bulls when MJ retired? Oh that's right, they lost 2 more games the season. No heart, character, or will putting up 45-15-5 on the road in an elimination game. None at all.

Hasn't made players better? He's literally carried his teams to multiple finals appearances? Maybe you forgot how MJ struggled in the 80s vs DET/Bos.

Haters gon hate.

RedBird5:

Jordan would not have "made them all-stars" again.   How do you figure that would happen?  Jordan is the best ever, period, but character?  He punched a teammate in practice, Bill Cartwright, cheated on his wife habitually, and was a notorious prick.  So while he was AMAZING, don't talk about his character

kc_hawg:


--- Quote from: Cure on January 26, 2013, 11:51:38 pm ---You do know that the front office handles the roster right? What happened to the Bulls when MJ retired? Oh that's right, they lost 2 more games the season. No heart, character, or will putting up 45-15-5 on the road in an elimination game. None at all.

Hasn't made players better? He's literally carried his teams to multiple finals appearances? Maybe you forgot how MJ struggled in the 80s vs DET/Bos.

Haters gon hate.

--- End quote ---
I do remember.  All too well.  And yet he stuck it out.  He worked harder and harder.  Made those around him better and better.  Lebron was the hometown hero as far as Cleveland was concerned.  And then he decided to "take my talents to" Miami.  Good lord, what a narcissistic heel! 

Thanks for making my point.

AubbieFan89:


--- Quote from: kc_hawg on January 27, 2013, 12:02:35 am ---I do remember.  All too well.  And yet he stuck it out.  He worked harder and harder.  Made those around him better and better.  Lebron was the hometown hero as far as Cleveland was concerned.  And then he decided to "take my talents to" Miami.  Good lord, what a narcissistic heel! 

Thanks for making my point.

--- End quote ---

Yeah let's stay in Cleveland with freaking Mo williams and Boobie Gibson...

kc_hawg:


--- Quote from: RedBird5 on January 26, 2013, 11:59:03 pm ---Jordan would not have "made them all-stars" again.   How do you figure that would happen?  Jordan is the best ever, period, but character?  He punched a teammate in practice, Bill Cartwright, cheated on his wife habitually, and was a notorious prick.  So while he was AMAZING, don't talk about his character

--- End quote ---

Basketball character.  Playing the game the right way.  Geezus.  Jordan a notorious prick.  Just wow.  Go back to sleep.

kc_hawg:


--- Quote from: AubbieFan89 on January 27, 2013, 12:03:54 am ---Yeah let's stay in Cleveland with freaking Mo williams and Boobie Gibson...

--- End quote ---
Exactly.  Totally agree.

pigture perfect:

I've never gotten the LeBron hate either. Given the choice between Kobe and LeBron, I'd go Bron every time.

Adam Stokes:

He was way pompous the year they lost to the Mavs in the finals.  The team thought it would be a cakewalk.  Since losing that finals he has been awesome. 

By the end of the season he will already be in the Top 50 all-time for assists.  He absolutely makes his team better.  You don't get that by being selfish, let alone as a power forward.  The only other guy that could play all five positions as well as him was Magic.

hardtimes79:

People on here give Mj way too much credit.  It sounds as if some think MJ made Scottie Pippen a top 50 all time player instead of Scottie.  There are a lot of great players that never win jack because they stay with horrible organizations.  Lebron goofed up the way he left, but he realized that he was a historically terrible organization.  Circumstances have a lot to do with who wins championships or have hall of fame careers in most sports.  Do you think Kobe has five rings if the Charlotte Hornets keep him?  Does Tom Brady have his championships if he plays for the Cleveland Browns?  How about the way DMac has wasted away on the dysfunctional Raiders, bet he would be pretty good in Shannahan's system.

FelixJonesorDMAC?:

ESPN is to blame for the ridiculousness of most sports and athletes pure egos.  They have turned sports into a soap opera and are turning men into egomaniacs that never learned to grow up.  They jumped on lebron early in his high school career and followed him with cameras and he makes the cover of sports illustrated dubbed the king.  They are the reason players are making 20 millions dollars to shoot a basketball or throw/catch a football and hit a baseball.  The agents use these kids at a young age and ESPN is the ultimate agent for these players. 

After college I pretty much quit following athletes because I know how its gonna end.  20 million a year, 15 kids with 13 women, gambling and drugs, no commitment or love for the game, just love for themselves, 46 inch rims, slap or choke a woman, maybe rape one, wear huge head phones, make a rap video, own a music record label, 5 inch diamond earings, hang out with jay-z, become an espn personality until fired for domestic dispute.



kc_hawg:


--- Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on January 27, 2013, 02:38:48 am ---ESPN is to blame for the ridiculousness of most sports and athletes pure egos.  They have turned sports into a soap opera and are turning men into egomaniacs that never learned to grow up.  They jumped on lebron early in his high school career and followed him with cameras and he makes the cover of sports illustrated dubbed the king.  They are the reason players are making 20 millions dollars to shoot a basketball or throw/catch a football and hit a baseball.  The agents use these kids at a young age and ESPN is the ultimate agent for these players. 

After college I pretty much quit following athletes because I know how its gonna end.  20 million a year, 15 kids with 13 women, gambling and drugs, no commitment or love for the game, just love for themselves, 46 inch rims, slap or choke a woman, maybe rape one, wear huge head phones, make a rap video, own a music record label, 5 inch diamond earings, hang out with jay-z, become an espn personality until fired for domestic dispute.



--- End quote ---
I think you are a little low on the number of women.  Kids are correct, but easily over 100 women.

Hogfaniam:

Lbj is 27 with no Dean Smith in his background.  He'll get there.  He seems to care for people which means he will get more selfless as time goes on.  I hope.

hardtimes79:

Mj did not have the media scrutiny these players have now.  I loved mj as a player but he has always been a jerk with a chip on his shoulder.  Remind me of a time that lebron did something comparable to mj keeping isiah thomas off the dream team.  People kill me talking about the sportsmanship of players from the past when those guys were just as shady.

arkjay19:


--- Quote from: hardtimes79 on January 27, 2013, 04:50:44 pm ---Mj did not have the media scrutiny these players have now.  I loved mj as a player but he has always been a jerk with a chip on his shoulder.  Remind me of a time that lebron did something comparable to mj keeping isiah thomas off the dream team.  People kill me talking about the sportsmanship of players from the past when those guys were just as shady.

--- End quote ---

Wow what a load of crap.

When has having a chip on their shoulder ever, EVER been a negative thing for athletes?  That's what separated guys like Bird and Jordan from everyone else.  They couldn't stand to lose.  LeBron has never showed that same kind of intensity.

And we're going to talk about sportsmanship?  How many fights did Bird get in?  How many times did we hear about Jordan getting into it with his own teammates?  When it's a competitive nature driving someone's @$$holishness, I don't see how you can say it's really a big deal.  It's sports.  For LeBron, it was just his own narcissism.

SwazyHog:

As always MJ did it better. I still and will always hate Lebron James!

Not a valid youtube URL

hawganatic:


--- Quote from: FelixJonesorDMAC? on January 27, 2013, 02:38:48 am ---ESPN is to blame for the ridiculousness of most sports and athletes pure egos.  They have turned sports into a soap opera and are turning men into egomaniacs that never learned to grow up.  They jumped on lebron early in his high school career and followed him with cameras and he makes the cover of sports illustrated dubbed the king.  They are the reason players are making 20 millions dollars to shoot a basketball or throw/catch a football and hit a baseball.  The agents use these kids at a young age and ESPN is the ultimate agent for these players. 

After college I pretty much quit following athletes because I know how its gonna end.  20 million a year, 15 kids with 13 women, gambling and drugs, no commitment or love for the game, just love for themselves, 46 inch rims, slap or choke a woman, maybe rape one, wear huge head phones, make a rap video, own a music record label, 5 inch diamond earings, hang out with jay-z, become an espn personality until fired for domestic dispute.

--- End quote ---

Except nothing you describe here applies to Lebron.  He has two kids from the same woman, who he's been with since high school and is engaged too.  Huge head phones have nothing to do with the character of a man.  If he wants to hang out with Jay-Z, that's his business.  Jay-Z is an honest business man.  He's probably done more for charitable organizations, and other people in general, in the last month than you probably will your entire life.

Actually what you lay out doesn't describe 95% of the players in the NBA.  You're stereotyping, and think we all know what that is based on.

And ESPN isn't the reason players make 20 million for shooting a basketball.  They make that because that is what the market has created for them.  If that 20 million weren't going to the player (the reason it is being generated) it would be going into the pocket of the owner.  It's just their cut of the pie that they helped create.

hardtimes79:


--- Quote from: arkjay19 on January 27, 2013, 06:00:31 pm ---Wow what a load of crap.

When has having a chip on their shoulder ever, EVER been a negative thing for athletes?  That's what separated guys like Bird and Jordan from everyone else.  They couldn't stand to lose.  LeBron has never showed that same kind of intensity.

And we're going to talk about sportsmanship?  How many fights did Bird get in?  How many times did we hear about Jordan getting into it with his own teammates?  When it's a competitive nature driving someone's @$$holishness, I don't see how you can say it's really a big deal.  It's sports.  For LeBron, it was just his own narcissism.

--- End quote ---
Are you telling me that Mj isn't the biggest narcissist to ever play the game?  Did you see his hall of fame speech.  I never said anything about a chip being bad, but it doesn't give you a pass on being a jerk to everyone.  He punched a teammate and kept a guy from being on the best olympic team ever.  I am not saying Lebron is on Mj's level yet, but to say that he is not even in the conversation says you know basketball.  The guys that played with Mj see what he is doing and put him in that category.  Their word goes a little bit further than anyone on hogville.

Fatty McGee:


--- Quote from: arkjay19 on January 26, 2013, 10:05:50 pm ---Again, ignorance to think that ALL LeBron James hate stems from that one incident, even as such a triumph of pure douchery that it was.

We found out that he was (I don't know if he still is) a huge narcissistic @$$ behind the scenes.  It's not entirely his fault considering the way he grew up in the media, but he still wasn't the cuddly teddy bear his handlers made him out to be.

Then there is how he gave up on his team in the playoffs two years in a row, with his final year in Cleveland being the worst of the two.  You can feed me that crap about how he carried his team, which he did, but you never saw guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird, etc. give up in ANY situation EVER.

To his credit, he seems to have grown up a lot on and off the court during his time with Miami and this scene with the fan was freakin' awesome.  But that doesn't change the fact that people had plenty of reason to dislike the guy.

--- End quote ---

What a stupid post.  You mean a young man subject to ridiculous amounts of adulation all his life made a dumb PR move (which incidentally raised quite a bit for charity) and we're supposed to judge him on that the rest of his life? 

Give up?  When?  That collection of stiffs in Cleveland (best #2 guy there was Mo Williams.  MO WILLIAMS!) got to go to the finals with him doing virtually everything.  What a load of crap.

People who don't like the guy for The Decision forget how dumb they were at that age, and people who think he gave up don't know basketball.

Fatty McGee:


--- Quote from: arkjay19 on January 27, 2013, 06:00:31 pm ---When has having a chip on their shoulder ever, EVER been a negative thing for athletes?  That's what separated guys like Bird and Jordan from everyone else.  They couldn't stand to lose.  LeBron has never showed that same kind of intensity.

--- End quote ---

How does one judge the size of a chip on the shoulder of people they've never met?


--- Quote ---And we're going to talk about sportsmanship?  How many fights did Bird get in?  How many times did we hear about Jordan getting into it with his own teammates?  When it's a competitive nature driving someone's @$$holishness, I don't see how you can say it's really a big deal.  It's sports.  For LeBron, it was just his own narcissism.

--- End quote ---

What?

arkjay19:


--- Quote from: Fatty McGee on January 27, 2013, 09:02:58 pm ---What a stupid post.  You mean a young man subject to ridiculous amounts of adulation all his life made a dumb PR move (which incidentally raised quite a bit for charity) and we're supposed to judge him on that the rest of his life? 

Give up?  When?  That collection of stiffs in Cleveland (best #2 guy there was Mo Williams.  MO WILLIAMS!) got to go to the finals with him doing virtually everything.  What a load of crap.

People who don't like the guy for The Decision forget how dumb they were at that age, and people who think he gave up don't know basketball.

--- End quote ---

You must have dyslexia and/or horrible reading comprehension.  The point is "The Decision" was far from the only reason that people disliked/dislike Lebron.  That dumb PR move was just the most high profile narcissistic dorkhead move he made.

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version