• 10,399,984 Posts
• 411,062 Topics
• 23,495 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defense Fun Again For Razorbacks  (Read 2219 times)

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Defense Fun Again For Razorbacks
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:57:12 am »

FAYETTEVILLE--A big smile spread across the face of Razorback senior defensive tackle Alfred Davis when asked about the newly found freedom he and his teammates suddenly have to go after opposing quarterbacks.

"It's a great feeling because sometimes when you don't get that (freedom) you feel like, Aw man, this defensive line must not be good enough," Davis told reporters. "They (the coaches) don't trust us enough. But finally they go, 'Hey, we're going to put it in you guys' hands. Go make plays.'  It's a great feeling as a defensive lineman."

Arkansas dialed up the pressure on Auburn's Kiehl Frazier and Clint Moseley to the tune of eight quarterback sacks. The game plan will be the same for Kentucky true freshman Jalen Whitlow who is more athletic than Frazier or Moseley.

"He's very agile," sophomore defensive end Trey Flowers noted. "He can run the ball, he can drop back and pass. You've got to stay in your good rushing lanes so you can contain him."
----------------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:

http://nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports?nxd_id=372732

want2be

• Keeping up wih the Bounce
Re: Defense Fun Again For Razorbacks
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:18:33 am »

I thought it was interesting that John L stated last night at the Catfish Hole that Paul Haynes told him "Don't let me get conservative"..........I never want to see the "Bend but don't Break" defense again. It creates a soft attitude.
That partially answers everyone's question on talent vs. coaching.

I think Haynes learned his lesson. Now let's see if he can keep it up. We need to play to win instead of playing to not lose.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:35:31 am »

Well better late than NEVER!

TechHog

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:53 am »

That style of defense was on display at the Cotton Bowl.  I thought that's what we'd see from day one.  The Dline is now the strength of the defense and they need to be turned loose.

nwarazfan

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:46:05 am »

Good to face qb's who don't understand how to play their position, hold on to the ball too long and can't make decisions in the pocket.  We actually shouldn't see good qb play again this season.  Shaw is decent and if Lattimore is still healthy, they will slow down our aggressiveness. 

The Kid

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:59:37 am »

It's a real shame the promised aggressive stance of the defense, which we witnessed in the Cotton Bowl, wasn't delivered until Auburn.

Hawgzinbowlz

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 04:57:50 pm »

The great co-ordinators sequence the play calling to keep the opponent off balance,both on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side of the ball. Bobby did it on offense and we need a great DC do the same thing. I am for a DC with experience and SEC level skillset. " GO HOGS : BEAT THOSE THOSE STINKIN CATS "

Niels Boar

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:25:08 pm »

Good to face qb's who don't understand how to play their position, hold on to the ball too long and can't make decisions in the pocket.  We actually shouldn't see good qb play again this season.  Shaw is decent and if Lattimore is still healthy, they will slow down our aggressiveness. 

Yep.  The schedule is letting up a bit for a month.  If we can overcome the injuries, that should make the coaches a lot smarter.   According to the composite computer rankings,

http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

1. ULM - #55
2. Bama - #1
3. Rutgers - #23
4. A&M - #13
5. Auburn - #74
6. UK - #76
7. Tulsa - #35
8. Ole Miss - #59

You can pretty much rank our performance in one-to-one correlation with quality of the opponent.  The difficulty of the September schedule with injuries is under appreciated.  Even ULM has been as good as any team in the bottom half of the SEC.

Pigdiana Jones

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Smoking Hot!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 06:33:37 pm »

Why the hell would they not let them do this from the start? This makes no sense at all. Who made this call and why?

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »

I don't want the "bend but don't break" defense. I want a defense that's fast, physical, and has the mindset of stopping the offense at all costs.

Teebow62

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 06:37:43 pm »

I love Mike but it was Auburn and probably five of us on here could shut that offense down.

Boarme

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 10:27:32 am »

I love Mike but it was Auburn and probably five of us on here could shut that offense down.

Auburn is bad but the defense definitely had a different mindset than earlier in the year.

Berno

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:57 am »

Why the hell would they not let them do this from the start? This makes no sense at all. Who made this call and why?

I agree. I thought going into this season that the D-line was our main strength on defense, being that we had significant depth at most positions. Dont see why they werent turned loose to bring pressure on quarterbacks when we needed pressure.

If we could have rattled Gary Nova a bit more I bet would could have beat Rutgers.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 10:40:48 am »

This.

You mean to tell me that this defense earlier in the year was instructed to not go after the guy with the ball?  Explains a lot.

razorjacket43

• Varsity
  • Southern by Birth, Hog by the Grace of God
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 10:42:24 am »

With the defensive mindset of get the QB, we would have possibly beat atm, as well as ulm and rutgers. Turn them loose what do we have to loose? I know it sure is fun to watch!

nwarazfan

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 11:34:21 am »

I agree. I thought going into this season that the D-line was our main strength on defense, being that we had significant depth at most positions. Dont see why they werent turned loose to bring pressure on quarterbacks when we needed pressure.

If we could have rattled Gary Nova a bit more I bet would could have beat Rutgers.

Because they couldn't get to those qb's and they couldn't contain.  They couldn't contain ULM's qb.  He got outside repeatedly and hurt our inexperienced and ineffective secondary.  We did try to come after Nova.  His big wr's who were not only better than our db's but physically superior made play after play.  We've been over the A&M gameplan and how Auburn differs from all of these opponents.  It's like some of you don't take into consideration the opponents and what they do well and what they don't and where they are a mismatch with us and where they aren't.  It is easier to turn a defensive front loose when the qb's you are facing aren't decisive decision makers and aren't even moderately consistently accurate and the oline isn't competent in protection. 

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 11:38:49 am »

Because they couldn't get to those qb's and they couldn't contain.  They couldn't contain ULM's qb.  He got outside repeatedly and hurt our inexperienced and ineffective secondary.  We did try to come after Nova.  His big wr's who were not only better than our db's but physically superior made play after play.  We've been over the A&M gameplan and how Auburn differs from all of these opponents.  It's like some of you don't take into consideration the opponents and what they do well and what they don't and where they are a mismatch with us and where they aren't.  It is easier to turn a defensive front loose when the qb's you are facing aren't decisive decision makers and aren't even moderately consistently accurate and the oline isn't competent in protection. 

So, are you suggesting that if a qb is able to make decisions and is moderately accurate we shouldn't go after him?  You may be on to something here...NFL defensive coordinators should be beating your door down.

nwarazfan

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 11:45:06 am »

So, are you suggesting that if a qb is able to make decisions and is moderately accurate we shouldn't go after him?  You may be on to something here...NFL defensive coordinators should be beating your door down.

We should. 

AU's qb's weren't which made the decision to be more aggressive against them an easy one.  Because it worked against them doesn't mean it would against other teams.  Also have to consider the oline, the receivers and the type of offense you are facing.  A spread offense that gets the ball out quickly will be defended differently than one that is more traditional dropback.  A spread offense with the midline option will be defended differently than a spread passing offense.  An offense with one of the SEC's best olines (A&M) and a qb who hurts defenses by hitting vacated running lanes will be defended differently than an offense with a weak line and poor, indecisive, hold onto the ball too long, can't recognize pressure and get out of a play qb's.

This is about like so many of you putting so much into the Cotton Bowl performance as some indicator about what our current defense would be. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 12:14:35 pm »

We should. 

AU's qb's weren't which made the decision to be more aggressive against them an easy one.  Because it worked against them doesn't mean it would against other teams.  Also have to consider the oline, the receivers and the type of offense you are facing.  A spread offense that gets the ball out quickly will be defended differently than one that is more traditional dropback.  A spread offense with the midline option will be defended differently than a spread passing offense.  An offense with one of the SEC's best olines (A&M) and a qb who hurts defenses by hitting vacated running lanes will be defended differently than an offense with a weak line and poor, indecisive, hold onto the ball too long, can't recognize pressure and get out of a play qb's.

This is about like so many of you putting so much into the Cotton Bowl performance as some indicator about what our current defense would be. 

Nicely done.. +1  I was one of the ones who thought our Cotton bowl performance, fall camp showing and defensive coaching philosophy were indication that we would be better this year than last.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 12:25:00 pm »

Giving ANY halfway decent QB time to throw isn't a good thing!

prairiehogcompanion

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 12:48:09 pm »

Minus our two best linebackers for the rest of the season . . . Yeah, sure, defense is gonna be real fun.

Berno

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 01:09:31 pm »

I do take into consideration what opponents are doing, I guess where Im lost is when are the d-line officially "let loose" on the play? For example, when we played Rutgers was the d-line not told to get to the quarterback and play aggressive? Whats the difference between just a normal down against the pass, versus being allowed to pressure the quarterback?  Im a little lost on techniques and strategies of the d-line so you'll have to excuse me. I do understand that Auburn's offense was just plain bad on Saturday, and that was probably the only reason we won that game.

hogprowler

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 01:10:32 pm »

This is total bs all year long we've watched the dline get pressure, over pursue and get burned, over and over and over.  We play one really bad offense that the quarterback stays in the pocket and won't run and suddenly we've changed our play calling? Most of you know better than to drink this koolaid again we'll do good against Kentucky but expect us to be exposed again real soon after.

the_kosher_pig

• lol
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 01:13:13 pm »

I'd rather whiff on getting to the QB and getting burned on screens and draws if it adds pressure over just waiting for a blocker to come level our players on D because they stayed at home. 

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 01:14:43 pm »

FAYETTEVILLE--A big smile spread across the face of Razorback senior defensive tackle Alfred Davis when asked about the newly found freedom he and his teammates suddenly have to go after opposing quarterbacks.

"It's a great feeling because sometimes when you don't get that (freedom) you feel like, Aw man, this defensive line must not be good enough," Davis told reporters. "They (the coaches) don't trust us enough. But finally they go, 'Hey, we're going to put it in you guys' hands. Go make plays.'  It's a great feeling as a defensive lineman."

Arkansas dialed up the pressure on Auburn's Kiehl Frazier and Clint Moseley to the tune of eight quarterback sacks. The game plan will be the same for Kentucky true freshman Jalen Whitlow who is more athletic than Frazier or Moseley.

"He's very agile," sophomore defensive end Trey Flowers noted. "He can run the ball, he can drop back and pass. You've got to stay in your good rushing lanes so you can contain him."
----------------------------
To read more and to view the video version of this story click on the link below:

http://nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports?nxd_id=372732

I think a not very good defense had a good day against an awful offensive line.

nwarazfan

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 01:34:15 pm »

I do take into consideration what opponents are doing, I guess where Im lost is when are the d-line officially "let loose" on the play? For example, when we played Rutgers was the d-line not told to get to the quarterback and play aggressive? Whats the difference between just a normal down against the pass, versus being allowed to pressure the quarterback?  Im a little lost on techniques and strategies of the d-line so you'll have to excuse me. I do understand that Auburn's offense was just plain bad on Saturday, and that was probably the only reason we won that game.

Our front four tried to go after Rutger's qb.  He got rid of the ball quickly and he did it to wr's who outmatched our db's.  On two of their big play passing td's, Nova threw quickly.  He took the snap and turned to his right and hit his wr out wide who never left the line scrimmage.  The receiver made Hines miss and he was off for a TD.  On another of their TD's, Nova was in the shotgun.  He took the snap and within three seconds had the ball in the air to his wr going down the right side for a TD. 

nwarazfan

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2012, 01:36:46 pm »

This is total bs all year long we've watched the dline get pressure, over pursue and get burned, over and over and over.  We play one really bad offense that the quarterback stays in the pocket and won't run and suddenly we've changed our play calling? Most of you know better than to drink this koolaid again we'll do good against Kentucky but expect us to be exposed again real soon after.

It's an easy way for them to go after the staff and to explain away losses instead of other teams executed better and had better personnel in their matchups sometimes too ie RU's wr's vs our db's. 

Cure

• Hogfan at Ohio State Univ
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2012, 01:58:46 pm »

Our front four tried to go after Rutger's qb.  He got rid of the ball quickly and he did it to wr's who outmatched our db's.  On two of their big play passing td's, Nova threw quickly.
I've been saying that.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2012, 02:14:34 pm »

I've been saying that.
I hope the Auburn game was something to impove on.

Cure

• Hogfan at Ohio State Univ
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2012, 09:21:47 pm »

I hope the Auburn game was something to impove on.
It certainly was.

edit - going to go watch the defensive snaps again.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:28:10 pm by Cure »

CDBHawg

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2012, 09:29:16 pm »

It was Auburn and this is Kentucky. We won't know more until after bye week.

Pig Worshipper

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2012, 10:01:17 pm »

Hallelujah! The season is saved!

Brand X Hog Fan

• Bielema: Learn it, fear it! WPS!
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2012, 10:07:48 pm »

I'm all for turning the ends loose to wreak havoc as long as we maintain outside CONTAINMENT! Someone has to be home. I get so tired of us giving up big plays around the end. Glad to see Alfred having fun. He's one of my favorites on the defense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas