General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

Lebron Better than Jordan?

Pages: (1/3) > >>

SWD26:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/08/a-legendary-college-basketball-coach-thinks-lebron-james-might-be-better-than-michael-jordan

I think it's a stretch to go that far right now but if Miami is able to put together a series of championships and Lebron keeps doing what he's been doing, we're going to start hearing this a lot more in the future.

HF#1:

Not even close.

hoglady:

And that's a Big Fat NO.

Hog Fan...DOH!:

--- Quote from: hoglady on August 15, 2012, 11:28:27 am ---And that's a Big Fat NO.

--- End quote ---

It's a big fat NOT YET. 

Victom:

--- Quote from: HogFan#1 on August 15, 2012, 11:12:24 am ---Not even close.

--- End quote ---

jamie72921:

LeBron is far and away better than Kobe Bryant and there are morons trying to claim there is an argument for Kobe being Jordan's equal.

LeBron is better in the physical sense. Jordan is still the ultimate competitor.

LeBron has work to do but he has plenty of time to get it done also.

hoggystyle78:

Uh, NO! ???

EastexHawg:

Rosie O'Donnell hotter than Jessica Alba?

Does this question really need to be asked?

Hogbody:

People have forgotten how good MJ was

He's still the greatest, not that Lebron can't make a run at that claim some day

Omahabound:

--- Quote from: jamie72921 on August 15, 2012, 11:45:57 am ---LeBron is far and away better than Kobe Bryant and there are morons trying to claim there is an argument for Kobe being Jordan's equal.

LeBron is better in the physical sense. Jordan is still the ultimate competitor.

LeBron has work to do but he has plenty of time to get it done also.

--- End quote ---

This is the dumbest quote Ive ever read on hogville....tell Lebron to call Kobe when he gets 5 rings, and don't have to move cities to get his ring, and don't choke in a game 7 when he disappears and puts up 9 points and runs away from the ball..
Lebron is great, but he's NO MAMBA!!!

majestic:

--- Quote from: Petrino4prez on August 15, 2012, 01:33:25 pm ---This is the dumbest quote Ive ever read on hogville....tell Lebron to call Kobe when he gets 5 rings, and don't have to move cities to get his ring, and don't choke in a game 7 when he disappears and puts up 9 points and runs away from the ball..

--- End quote ---
So rings = talent? 

The following players all have more rings than Kobe and Jordan.  With the possible exception of Russell, I don't consider any of these players to be better than those two.

Bill Russell
    Sam Jones
    Tom Heinsohn
    K. C. Jones    
    Tom "Satch" Sanders
    John Havlicek
    Jim Loscutoff
    Frank Ramsey
    Robert Horry

So maybe you should rethink your "dumbest quote Ive ever read on hogville" before you make one even dumber.

PigWig:

--- Quote from: Petrino4prez on August 15, 2012, 01:33:25 pm ---This is the dumbest quote Ive ever read on hogville....tell Lebron to call Kobe when he gets 5 rings, and don't have to move cities to get his ring, and don't choke in a game 7 when he disappears and puts up 9 points and runs away from the ball..

--- End quote ---
The Lakers also went out and built a team around Kobe.  He wasn't going to win anything without a supporting cast.  Show me a Shaq, Gasol, Bynum, etc on those Cleveland teams.  Lebron had no help whatsoever and still got that team to the finals.

Omahabound:

Did Lebron disappear last year in the finals???
Lebron will finish 2nd again this year...he has won his ring..
Seriously you guys can't think he's better than Kobe....throw rings out, he's not better than Kobe.

Granny:

I'd say for sure Jordan was more clutch in the big games.

hoglady:

Lebron doesn't have the heart that Jordan had.
You've either got it or you don't.
Lebron don't.
Wish I had some tape of Jordan in his prime. If you watch a few of those this question doesn't even get asked.

galactivation:

i think lebron is probably the most ridiculous physical specimen & could be the best all-around player to play the game by the time he's done.

i don't get why everyone is so quick to make Jordan comparisons. Can players not just be their own. everyone wants to draw a Jordan vinn diagram

Cure:

We'll be able to accurately judge in a couple of years. Right now we can't.

Athletically, LeBron hands down, but he's just now unlocking his mental abilities on the court. We shall see.

Ray Piggers:

Jordan> Lebron

Kobe in his prime was a better SCORER than Lebron. Overall player, doubtful. Kobe still has his moments. Lebron is a physical specimen who's a triple double threat night in and night out.

That being said, I think Kevin Durant will end up being the best player in the league within the next few years. He was definitely the mvp of the Olympic team.

Cure:

--- Quote from: TaylorAlderson on August 15, 2012, 10:07:32 pm ---
That being said, I think Kevin Durant will end up being the best player in the league within the next few years. He was definitely the mvp of the Olympic team.

--- End quote ---

Not even. Lebron anchored that team defensively and got them a ton of open looks on offense, the reason for their gold.

--- Quote ---"He's the most unique player to ever play basketball," the Duke coach said Wednesday of the Miami Heat forward, "because he can play every position, both offensively and defensively."

Appearing on ESPN Radio, Krzyzewski was effusive in his praise.

"I love LeBron," Krzyzewski said.  "He was our leader. He's the best player on this planet. And I think he can even get better, as he accomplishes more."

On a team that included
--- End quote ---

Supermark101:

Needs to be updated, but still

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: Petrino4prez on August 15, 2012, 02:30:36 pm ---Did Lebron disappear last year in the finals???
Lebron will finish 2nd again this year...he has won his ring..
Seriously you guys can't think he's better than Kobe....throw rings out, he's not better than Kobe.

--- End quote ---

I love Kobe, but Kobe's played with much better players for most of his career.  Ultimately LeBron will be considered the better player.

Danny J:

--- Quote from: Hogbody on August 15, 2012, 12:31:50 pm ---People have forgotten how good MJ was

He's still the greatest, not that Lebron can't make a run at that claim some day

--- End quote ---
I agree with this. He MAY be there someday. As jordan aged he made small changes to his game. I want to see how lebron adapts. He is very smart and may get there. I just wish he were more selfish at times. One thing you can say about lebron....he is the ultimate team player. He is just not on jordans level yet.

hogginbama:

Always thought Lebron gained an advantage from the refs that helped make him look better. After taking a look at the trips to the charity stripe in both regular season and playoff games during first 9 seasons, he and Jordan are within 100 FTs of one another.

Ray Piggers:

--- Quote from: Cure on August 15, 2012, 10:18:30 pm ---Not even. Lebron anchored that team defensively and got them a ton of open looks on offense, the reason for their gold.

--- End quote ---

Kevin Durant was unstoppable during the olympics.

PigWig:

Lebron is the most versatile player in NBA history.  He could literally be a first ballot hall of fame player as a PG, SG, SF, or PF if he only played a single position.  There has never been another player that could say that.

I feel like a lot of times, people confuse the best scorer in the league with the best player in the league.  Kobe in his prime was a better scorer than Lebron.  Durant is probably a better scorer than Lebron.  But no one has a better combination of defense, scoring, passing, rebounding, and fast-break ability than Lebron James.

I understand that when you are the best at something, people are going to hate.  But no one can discount what Lebron has done.  I'm also pretty certain he will have at least 4-5 rings (possibly more) to his name by the time his career is over.

iluvmyslute89:

i think jordan was more physically gifted than lebron. whens the last time you seen lebron throw down a dunk after slamming into a post player mid flight. jordan was one strong mf

Wildhog:

Lebron isn't top 10.

HiggiePiggy:

One on one I would pick James. Team I would pick Jordan.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: The Pig of destiny on August 16, 2012, 10:45:26 am ---i think jordan was more physically gifted than lebron. whens the last time you seen lebron throw down a dunk after slamming into a post player mid flight. jordan was one strong mf

--- End quote ---

I've yet to see someone willing to step in front of LeBron once he's headed to a dunk.

iluvmyslute89:

Lebron cleary travels.. all the damn time

EastexHawg:

--- Quote from: HiggiePiggy on August 16, 2012, 11:19:51 am ---One on one I would pick James. Team I would pick Jordan.

--- End quote ---

I don't think so.  Jordan was too quick and a great, great finisher.  He would beat Lebron off the dribble and take him to the rack where he would posterize him.  Then, when Lebron started laying back to protect against the drive Jordan would just shoot over him.

When Lebron had the ball?  Jordan would pick his pocket enough times to make the difference.

As for the quote about Lebron being a first ballot Hall of Famer at every position including PG...are you kidding?  You really think he is a good enough ball handler to be a Hall of Fame point guard?

Magic Johnson WAS one of if not the greatest all-time point guards.  When Kareem was injured in the pivotal game of the NBA Finals he moved down to center and scored 42 points to win the title.  He was 6'9" and could have played power forward or shooting forward if he wasn't so good handling and distributing the ball.

And Magic wasn't even as good as Jordan.

Lebron would receive facials nightly from Shaq, Howard, and numerous other good NBA big men if he tried to play center.

He's a very good player, but if we're talking about the best all-time who would you trade for Lebron if you were a GM and had the chance?

Jordan
Wilt
Russell
Oscar Robertson
Kareem
Shaq
Magic
Erving
Moses Malone
Bird
Olajuwon
Tim Duncan

He's Elgin Baylor...a very, very good player with a lot of stats.  Actually he's nowhere near the scorer or rebounder Baylor was.  The best ever?  Laughable.

Oh, and for the "there's never been a freak of nature like him" people...did you ever see Wilt Chamberlain? 

DeuceHawg:

Jordan>LeBron>Kobe

When comparing the 3, Kobe has the worst FG%, RPG, APG, SPG, BPG, and PPG.  Jordan's the best in FG%, SPG, BPG, PPG, and has the least amount of turnovers.  LeBron falls in the middle.

LeBron will never win as many championships as Kobe or Jordan, but for 7 years of his career, he was on a pretty bad team.

Hooch:

--- End quote ---

I didn't know Kobe won a champ at Charlotte. 

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on August 16, 2012, 01:22:58 pm ---I don't think so.  Jordan was too quick and a great, great finisher.  He would beat Lebron off the dribble and take him to the rack where he would posterize him.  Then, when Lebron started laying back to protect against the drive Jordan would just shoot over him.

--- End quote ---

I think you underestimate the speed of LeBron.  But you're right, it would make no sense for him to guard him in a game.  And in one on one, probably Jordan unless LeBron just used his superior bulk to make it an ugly game by backing Jordan down.

--- Quote ---When Lebron had the ball?  Jordan would pick his pocket enough times to make the difference.

--- End quote ---

Only if LeBron faced up and tried to outquick him every time.

--- Quote ---He's a very good player, but if we're talking about the best all-time who would you trade for Lebron if you were a GM and had the chance?

Jordan
Wilt
Russell
Oscar Robertson
Kareem
Shaq
Magic
Erving
Moses Malone
Bird
Olajuwon
Tim Duncan

--- End quote ---

Obviously the question depends on the rest of your team and to a large extent the era. If I have a serviceable big man, I trade them all but Jordan for LeBron.  If I'm starting from scratch, I put him ahead of Duncan, Bird, Malone, Russell and maybe Magic.  Also maybe Shaq, depending on which part of his career I'm getting.

hoggystyle78:

--- Quote from: PigWig on August 16, 2012, 09:01:36 am ---Lebron is the most versatile player in NBA history.  He could literally be a first ballot hall of fame player as a PG, SG, SF, or PF if he only played a single position.  There has never been another player that could say that.

I feel like a lot of times, people confuse the best scorer in the league with the best player in the league.  Kobe in his prime was a better scorer than Lebron.  Durant is probably a better scorer than Lebron.  But no one has a better combination of defense, scoring, passing, rebounding, and fast-break ability than Lebron James.

I understand that when you are the best at something, people are going to hate.  But no one can discount what Lebron has done.  I'm also pretty certain he will have at least 4-5 rings (possibly more) to his name by the time his career is over.

--- End quote ---
You've obviously never heard of Earvin "Magic" Johnson. He could play all 5 positions on the floor, all at a very high level, and, He was a first ballot Hall of Famer

Cure:

--- Quote from: EastexHawg on August 16, 2012, 01:22:58 pm ---I don't think so.  Jordan was too quick and a great, great finisher.  He would beat Lebron off the dribble and take him to the rack where he would posterize him.  Then, when Lebron started laying back to protect against the drive Jordan would just shoot over him.

--- End quote ---
Stopped reading right there.

I've watched Lebron lock up every player in the league on the perimeter and I'm 100% sure Rose was more explosive than MJ off the dribble, which he locked up clearly in the '10 ECF. I am also sure that Lebron has guarded 4s and 5s more-so than MJ ever did, which was left to Pip. Don't get me wrong, Jordan was an absolute great finisher, but let's not act like Lebron sucks on defense, especially defending the rim.

BTW, Lebron is a more prolific and efficient scorer than Magic. Magic wasn't posterizing people like Gervin or Dominique. I bet you cannot tell me how many times you saw Magic at center outside of against the Sixers.

DoubleReedHawgCaller:

No doubt Jordan is better. The talent Jordan played against was more superior then. The guys Lebron is playing against night in and night out ain't even close.

iluvmyslute89:

jordan had unnatural physical strength. lebron is not as physically strong, but is great because of 45 in vert, 4.4 speed and about 260 lbs. he uses his weight to push around smaller players, and his ballhandling and athletic ability to beat larger players. where as jordan folded shawn bradley up, all 7'5 310 pounds of him, in midair and threw it down on him. its truly a sight to see.

sportswriter41:

I cannot stand Lebrooooooooooooooooawn!!!!!! And no I am not from Cleveland. No way you can compare a superstar like Jordan to that dime store hood.

jamie72921:

--- End quote ---

Kobe wasn't even the best player on his team for 3 of those rings. Then they had to surround the guy with 5 other lottery picks to get the next two.

Kobe is a one dimensional player, very good at that ONE dimension, but that doesn't compare to what LeBron brings and Jordan brought.

People that worship scorers as if they are well rounded players have low basketball IQ's.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: The Pig of destiny on August 16, 2012, 09:07:25 pm ---jordan had unnatural physical strength. lebron is not as physically strong, but is great because of 45 in vert, 4.4 speed and about 260 lbs. he uses his weight to push around smaller players, and his ballhandling and athletic ability to beat larger players. where as jordan folded shawn bradley up, all 7'5 310 pounds of him, in midair and threw it down on him. its truly a sight to see.

--- End quote ---

I haven't seem what either of them bench, but I have a hard time believing that LeBron, with superior size, isn't physically stronger.

Sed76:

Jordan won 3 titles in a row, retired for pretty much 2 seasons and won 3 straight again. Lebron is 1-3 in the NBA Finals and is playing on what is about as close to an all star team as possible. Lebron has a long freaking ways to go before even being in the same conversation with Jordan.

iluvmyslute89:

fatty mcghee, you are trolling again. thats a ridiculous rebuttle.

Fatty McGee:

--- Quote from: The Pig of destiny on August 17, 2012, 02:33:15 am ---fatty mcghee, you are trolling again. thats a ridiculous rebuttle.

--- End quote ---

Yes, what a silly thing to say that a guy 3 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than another is stronger. I'm crazy.

EastexHawg:

It's obvious that Michael Jordan is almost 15 years past his retirement from the Bulls.  It's the only reason a conversation like this would even be comtemplated.

Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain are the two greatest players in history.  If there is a Mt. Rushmore of basketball their images are projected on the clouds above it.  All arguments about who is better than blah blah blah start with #3.

Cure:

--- Quote from: The Pig of destiny on August 16, 2012, 09:07:25 pm ---jordan had unnatural physical strength. lebron is not as physically strong, but is great because of 45 in vert, 4.4 speed and about 260 lbs. he uses his weight to push around smaller players, and his ballhandling and athletic ability to beat larger players. where as jordan folded shawn bradley up, all 7'5 310 pounds of him, in midair and threw it down on him. its truly a sight to see.

--- End quote ---
You mentioned Shawn Bradley? He got banged on by everyone in the league and he NEVER played at 300lbs.  Lebron goes through defenders  big or small and has his entire career. Evidently, you paid no attention to the playoffs this year. Even Barkley and Pippen have come out to say that Lebron could be better than MJ and  is a more complete player.

I love MJ as much as anybody, but don't act like he didn't play with good players. He retired the first time and they won 55 games without him. Pippen showed he could carry the Bulls. Any team with Lebron cannot say the same.

By the way, Boheim never said he was the best. He said MJ used to be ahead by miles now it may not be the case and Bron plays like Magic with MJ skills. The potential to be better.

iluvmyslute89:

google this cure: how strong was michael jordan, to hear countless hall of famers talk about jordans freakish strength. pretty tellin. i bet if u put pip jordan and barkley in a room aint no one sayin squat, bout Lebron bein better than jordan. like i hit on in my earlier post lebron is superior in weight, vert. you could argue rebounding etc. go watch tape of jordan pushing large bulky centers and forwards around of lebrons size and weight. the funny thing is you gotta watch the full games and hear the opposing coaches and players talk about facing jordan. its fairly eye opening. i will say lebron is the second greatest basketball player of the modern era i have witness. i really thought gilbert arenas was the next big thing and then he pops his acl and was never the same player,which is a damn shame. hopefully d.rose will fair better than arenas did coming off of acl surgery.

iluvmyslute89:

oh and i watched the playoffs but i had company(game 5 or 6) so didnt pay much attention but i do remember something about he recorded a a playoff record of some type.it was trip dub i thnk he had like 45 points 16 boards 11 assists.

Cure:

--- Quote from: The Pig of destiny on August 17, 2012, 09:23:25 am ---google this cure: how strong was michael jordan, to hear countless hall of famers talk about jordans freakish strength. pretty tellin. i bet if u put pip jordan and barkley in a room aint no one sayin squat, bout Lebron bein better than jordan.

--- End quote ---
The same players will talk about how freakish Lebron's talent is, especially Charles. One thing is that most agree that Lebron is already more physically gifted and talented than MJ was. Difference is that MJ wanted to dominate because of his ego, which is well documented. Not a bad thing, but Lebron is a pass first guy that happens to have skills that surpass close to anyone that has ever played.

Gilbert wasn't even close, this coming from a fan of Agent Zero.

At the end of the day, both of their careers really started peaking at the same age. Enjoy it and watch how it shakes out.

iluvmyslute89:

i guess its hard for me to concede any respect to lebron. jordan was my idol growing up and i watched alot of ball, it was amazing how he would contort in the air and finish a.t.r. the double clutch layup, the spinnin out of control layup. when he took the inbounds pass, beat the entire laker team down the court and drove the baseline and threw down a sick reverse jam before anyone could make it back to protect the rim on the bulls first possesion after the lakers scored to open the game was sensational. it was like the highlight reel would never stop.

Pages: (1/3) > >>

Go to full version