General Sports Discussion > NBA Board

OT: What NBA team is the most popular in Arkansas?

Pages: (1/4) > >>

Soonerman12:

I've wondered this for a while. Is it my obvious favorite, the Thunder? Mavs? Grizz? Spurs? Lakers? Who's your team? Yes, I know this isn't a hog basketball thread but there's no nba forum here. Let it slide moderators. There's not much activity on this board right now.

Breems:

The Lakers are my favorite team.

TheArkansasTraveller:

The Lakers is Arkansas team. 

sooieet:

NBA sucks. 

Soonerman12:

--- Quote from: TheArkansasTraveller on May 07, 2012, 06:16:56 pm ---The Lakers is Arkansas team.

--- End quote ---
Why? Because they've had Kobe for so long? Why do you not cheer for a regional team?

Soonerman12:

--- Quote from: sooieet on May 07, 2012, 06:23:27 pm ---NBA sucks.

--- End quote ---
99 percent sure you've never been to a game so if you haven't you're missing out. Also, you wouldn't say that if Arkansas had a team. Oklahomans thought the same thing. You don't get it. Understandable.

dsims2k3:

The avatar speaks for itself, but regionally I'd follow the Grizzlies. 

choppedporkextrasauce:

--- Quote from: Soonerman12 on May 07, 2012, 06:45:06 pm ---99 percent sure you've never been to a game so if you haven't you're missing out. Also, you wouldn't say that if Arkansas had a team. Oklahomans thought the same thing. You don't get it. Understandable.

--- End quote ---
I've been to a couple of Nba games and I think it sucks.

It's amazing that a great game like HS and College Ball is so reduced to an unwatchable product called the pros. In it's heyday it was something else, now it's something else not worth watching.

dsims2k3:

I used to really like the Knicks back in the 90's back when Ewing and Starks played together. They had some great series vs the Bulls, Heat, and Pacers.

dsims2k3:

--- Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on May 07, 2012, 07:03:14 pm ---I've been to a couple of Nba games and I think it sucks.

It's amazing that a great game like HS and College Ball is so reduced to an unwatchable product called the pros. In it's heyday it was something else, now it's something else not worth watching.

--- End quote ---

I think the installment of the zone, the hand check rule, and one and the done rule had a negative effect on the league.

Dogtown Donkey:

--- Quote from: dsims2k3 on May 07, 2012, 07:10:23 pm ---I think the installment of the zone, the hand check rule, and one and the done rule had a negative effect on the league.

--- End quote ---

The one and done rule?

Before that rule, players were allowed to come in from HS? You think one year of college makes the league worse in some way? I could see the argument for straight from HS making the league worse, but one and done is worse than that?

Lakerhog:

The Lake Show.

Dr. Starcs:

Not sure about Arkansas favorite, but I'm a Spurs man. Started liking them when I was in junior high reading about "The Admiral". Great guy, classy organization. They play the right way and have 4 championships for it.
And although they are the top seed in the west again, not sure that they are considered the favorites. Okc, both LA teams getting a lot of consideration.  Been that way all year, which I'm sure is just fine by SA.

ErieHog:

In general, the Lakers tend to be the most popular franchise here, though you can see that loyalty eroding with younger fans who are tuned into and enjoying the wall-to-wall coverage the NBA enjoys now, and the proximity of two good young teams,  piggybacking on the Spurs outstanding run in the 90s.

As a Celtics/T-Wolves fan,   I may just notice Laker people more, but they still seem to be the largest draw.

choppedporkextrasauce:

--- Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 07, 2012, 08:06:39 pm ---The one and done rule?

Before that rule, players were allowed to come in from HS? You think one year of college makes the league worse in some way? I could see the argument for straight from HS making the league worse, but one and done is worse than that?

--- End quote ---
few players have come in from HS and been successful. Oh sure there are the Dawkins, the guy who should be in a a Colorado Prison, and Lebron, but for every one of those guys there are quite a few who failed. The league has seen more entertaining years. The league probably has never had more great athletes and yet the players are collectively the least skilled. Everyone can dunk, few can hit a midrange jumper. The bank shot is a lost skill. Free throws have suffered.

Remember when they scored well over a 100 in most games.  That's a long time ago.
The NBA was a better game a long time ago. I wish it could be that way again.

Jackrabbit Hog:

I don't understand what the attraction is for Arkansas people with the Lakers.  Unless you are just the type that roots for the Yankees in baseball (i.e., a frontrunner).  I can't stand the Lakers.  I tend to root for the teams with players with Arkansas connections - especially former Hogs, of course, but also guys like Derek Fisher and Scottie Pippin back when he played.  If there's no Arkansas connection on a team, I just don't pay much attention to them.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on May 07, 2012, 08:35:04 pm ---few players have come in from HS and been successful. Oh sure there are the Dawkins, the guy who should be in a a Colorado Prison, and Lebron, but for every one of those guys there are quite a few who failed. The league has seen more entertaining years. The league probably has never had more great athletes and yet the players are collectively the least skilled. Everyone can dunk, few can hit a midrange jumper. The bank shot is a lost skill. Free throws have suffered.

Remember when they scored well over a 100 in most games.  That's a long time ago.

--- End quote ---

So much that isn't so, all in one place--  the numbers actually are much stronger for those who went from HS to the Pros, than those who departed early or played 4 years in college-- yes, there have been flameouts among the skippers, but there are always flameout for draftees.

Skill numbers show that despite the increases of athleticism, NBA players skill level is at least the equal of any era in NBA history.

FT shooting being bad is one of the great laughable ideas.    There's been about a 2.5% variance in FT shooting league wide over the last 50 years.   Current rates are
above the league's historical average--  about midway between average, and the league's all time record, in fact.

yraciv:

This is how I see it. Northwest AR is a mixed bag with the college and all kinds of transplants, but the predominant teams are the Thunder, Mavericks, Team Lebron, and Team Kobe. Go over to the Northeast Corner and replace Thunder/Mavs with Grizzlies. I think the Central part of the state tends to side with Team Lebron or Team Kobe..

dsims2k3:

--- Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 07, 2012, 08:06:39 pm ---The one and done rule?

--- End quote ---

The one and done has watered down the NBA because there is the lack of skill development that was attainedd at least by their sophmore year. There is an overabudance of raw talent who wants to play from the perimeter and fewer skill players with DEFINED roles (Ron Harper, John Stockon, Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller, Bruce Bowen, Dennis Rodman, Glenn Rice, Dikembe Mutumbo, etc.)
Nearly every high DI 12-15 ppg scorer wants to opt early for the league. Hence the emergence of the midmajors since they stay together longer. 

dsims2k3:

--- Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 07, 2012, 08:55:23 pm ---I don't understand what the attraction is for Arkansas people with the Lakers.  Unless you are just the type that roots for the Yankees in baseball (i.e., a frontrunner).  I can't stand the Lakers.  I tend to root for the teams with players with Arkansas connections - especially former Hogs, of course, but also guys like Derek Fisher and Scottie Pippin back when he played.  If there's no Arkansas connection on a team, I just don't pay much attention to them.

--- End quote ---
I keep up with Pargo and Johnson for the Hawks, but Ive been Laker fan since the early 90s

BigBlueHell:

--- Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 07, 2012, 08:55:23 pm ---I don't understand what the attraction is for Arkansas people with the Lakers.  Unless you are just the type that roots for the Yankees in baseball (i.e., a frontrunner).  I can't stand the Lakers.  I tend to root for the teams with players with Arkansas connections - especially former Hogs, of course, but also guys like Derek Fisher and Scottie Pippin back when he played.  If there's no Arkansas connection on a team, I just don't pay much attention to them.

--- End quote ---

First of all, Derek Fisher spent a lot of time as a Laker.  My favorite Laker/Arkansas connection, and the one that got me started loving on the Lakers was the fact that Larry Bird did not play for them.  Larry Bird had a pretty big hand in knocking out the 1979 Razorbacks from the final 8 in the NCAA tournament.  And in the Championship game Magic Johnson put a whooping on Larry and the rivalry began.  When Magic went to the Lakers and Bird to the Celtics I picked the Lakers because he beat the guy that beat my Hogs.  Not to mention the ShowTime Lakers was the best show on a basketball court ever.  Now I don't follow them nearly like I did back in the day, but when asked I always fall back on the Lakers.

sickboy:

--- Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on May 07, 2012, 08:35:04 pm ---few players have come in from HS and been successful. Oh sure there are the Dawkins, the guy who should be in a a Colorado Prison, and Lebron, but for every one of those guys there are quite a few who failed. The league has seen more entertaining years. The league probably has never had more great athletes and yet the players are collectively the least skilled. Everyone can dunk, few can hit a midrange jumper. The bank shot is a lost skill. Free throws have suffered.

--- End quote ---

Sure not all high school players turn out to be top 10 all time talent like Kobe and Lebron...but there have been some talented NBA players who skipped college.

Off the top of my head I can think of Moses Malone, Darryl Dawkins, Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Tracy McGraddy, Al Harrington, Rashard Lewis, Dwight Howard, Tyson Chandler, Al Jefferson, Amar'e Stoundemire, Josh Smith, Andrew Bynum, Monta Ellis, J.R. Smith, Brandon Jennings...just that I can think of.

You could probably throw Kevin Durant, John Wall, Derrick Rose, Mike Conley Jr., Spencer Hawes, Kevin Love, Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins in the group of one and dones who could have been physically ready for the NBA right out of high school too.

To me, this is a reason college basketball is suffering and the NBA is so much better. I loved basketball in the 80's/90's...but the last few years have started to rebound from the late 90's/early 2000's in my opinion.

TheArkansasTraveller:

--- Quote from: Soonerman12 on May 07, 2012, 06:43:47 pm ---Why? Because they've had Kobe for so long? Why do you not cheer for a regional team?

--- End quote ---

Derrick Fisher is an Arkansas boy and we like champions here in Arkansas. 

iluvmyslute89:

Ilifelong hogS/hawk fan. My dad took me to a game in atlanta when i was younger. They had some bad ass giant pretzels. Mostly see lots of lakers and celtics fans. Id say its a wash.

Sidenot: i felt bad forJoe and the hawks last night, they were blown out at boston. With 3 seconds left in the third rondo made this most ridiculous ballfake-lay up. It was almost jordan worthy. Almost

DEVIL DOG HOG:

All Arkansas players, Chicago Bulls when they came into the league.

Modsquad24:

put me down for the Lakers also, been my squad since the Showtime era

RazorPiggie:

Most ppl just go with whatever team is best when they are younger so most will like the Lakers or Celtics. I like the Mavs because they were the closest team when I was a younger lad. Most ppl around here, now like OKC bc they are one of the best teams out there right now. All about who is good at the time. I wasn't aware I had so many friends that used to be Seattle Sonic fans tho.

Just an example I have a good friend that was everything Jordan/Chicago. Jordan retires and now he is a die hard Laker fan. Just like most people go with the best team at the time. I call him out on it all the time and he tries to give me some BS reason why he isn't.

bleedhogred:

I have been a celtics fan since larry bird came into the league. Great games then and Great games now. Best sports tv going equal with College football and basketball in march. Go Celtics....we will meet the Heat in the ECF and they are scared. Let the celtics get the lead in the series and watch the heat go one on one and lose.......

Modsquad24:

that true why i was a fan of them years ago when i was 10, now at age 30 im a fan because of respect and loyalty to their franchise...but yeah they are without doubt the power that be in the nba (money, celebrities, spotlight, west coast, etc.)

Brass Knob:

Bulls in the East and Kings in the west.

If there is anything hurting the NBA it is the inconsistency of officiating. Some nights they let them beat each other up and other nights the slightest touch is a foul. The NBA does need to teach its officials what a walk is. Also, flopping (charges) is a major problem. For me this has the potential to ruin the game. I cannot stand super talented guys like D Wade falling all over the court every time a breeze rolls through. The NBA has to tighten this up. It seems like officials have started calling the majority of close calls charges instead of blocks. They need to reverse that to start eliminating flops and it is just dangerous how often a defender comes under a scorer in midair. All that to say I much prefer the NBA to college, but I love both

McKdaddy:

My dad raised me a Lakers fan.  My dad became a Lakers fan b/c he was such a huge fan of Jerry West when West was at WVA.  Dad said that West was the first non-Hog college athlete he cheered for and closely followed (or as close as one could follow in those days).  When the Lakers acquired West out of WVA, Dad became a Lakers fan.

Dad hasn't been a Laker fan for several years now, but I've stuck w/ them (I know, I know...not a difficult thing to do).  But I don't change teams, never have.  For the record every team I'm a fan of is b/c my dad cheered for them, and 38 years later I'm still a fan of all those teams.

hogfan98:

--- Quote from: Modsquad24 on May 08, 2012, 08:19:33 am ---put me down for the Lakers also, been my squad since the Showtime era

--- End quote ---

Ditto.

Jackrabbit Hog:

Funny, but the Showtime era is when I decided I wasn't a Lakers fan.  I'll admit they were great and I know the Magic v. Bird battles helped "rescue" the NBA, but I liked the blue collar Celtics better than the slick Lakers.  Liked KC Jones better than Pat Riley.  Liked McHale better than Rambis. 

And yeah, I get that Derek Fisher spent the majority of his career with the Lakers and I love me some Fish.  But all those years I was cheering for him but not his team. 

I think football is so engrained in me that I don't put the time and effort into becoming a passionate basketball fan. 

Dogtown Donkey:

--- Quote from: dsims2k3 on May 07, 2012, 09:10:31 pm ---

The one and done has watered down the NBA because there is the lack of skill development that was attainedd at least by their sophmore year. There is an overabudance of raw talent who wants to play from the perimeter and fewer skill players with DEFINED roles (Ron Harper, John Stockon, Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller, Bruce Bowen, Dennis Rodman, Glenn Rice, Dikembe Mutumbo, etc.)
Nearly every high DI 12-15 ppg scorer wants to opt early for the league. Hence the emergence of the midmajors since they stay together longer.

--- End quote ---

You didn't answer my question, though?

Before the "one and done" rule, kids could go from HS to the NBA. You don't think that watered down the league, but playing a year at Kentucky at the highest level of college basketball has watered the league down?

Dogtown Donkey:

--- End quote ---

History disagrees with you.

I'd even venture to say that the number of HS kids who became some form of successful pros is greater than the number of HS kids who failed. I could run the numbers, if you wish.

It's the other way around. For every HS kid that failed to make it, there are several that did. It's a common misconception.

Dogtown Donkey:

As for the state of Arkansas, I've found that it's largely a bandwagon state. And it all depends on how old the fan is you're talking about. That's why there are some many Laker fans (older Laker fans identifying with the Showtime Lakers and younger fans identifying with Kobe/Shaq Lakers), Bulls fans (Jordan era), Spurs fans (Duncan era), and then LeBron fans. I suppose there are some Celtic fans sprinkled in there. Outside of that, you have a few that pledge allegiance to the local-ish teams like Memphis, Dallas and OKC.

I'm a Rocket fan since the early 2000s. Loved Cuttino Mobley and Steve Francis, and I was a big Yao Ming fan when he was coming into the league mainly because so many doubted him so when he got drafted by Houston, it was a natural fit. Before that, I was a Celtics fan because I loved/love Paul Pierce. Before that, I was Bullets fan because loved/love Juwan Howard. Before that, I was Knicks fans because I loved Derek Harper and Charles Oakley. Early 2000s was when I started to hit adulthood so I've stuck with one team.

Boston RedHogs:

I'm all Celtic!

That said, the NBA is becoming a joke.  Of all the professional sports leagues, it's the hardest for me to watch.  The officiating is absolutely horrendous. 

David Stern needs to get his act together quickly and realize that even the NHL is close to passing them in popularity.  I'm actually a big hockey fan so I wouldn't mind seeing that happen just to wake the NBA up.  Other than the NBA All Star weekend, which I would argue is the best all-star set up of all the leagues, the rest of their show is sliding.

Dogtown Donkey:

--- Quote from: Boston RedHogs on May 08, 2012, 09:39:54 am ---I'm all Celtic!

That said, the NBA is becoming a joke.  Of all the professional sports leagues, it's the hardest for me to watch.  The officiating is absolutely horrendous. 

David Stern needs to get his act together quickly and realize that even the NHL is close to passing them in popularity.  I'm actually a big hockey fan so I wouldn't mind seeing that happen just to wake the NBA up.  Other than the NBA All Star weekend, which I would argue is the best all-star set up of all the leagues, the rest of their show is sliding.

--- End quote ---

Don't be silly.

waynespur21:

Been a Spurs fan since 1992.

waynespur21:

--- End quote ---

Refs suck in every sport, NBA is especially bad. As for everything else -- you're stoned.

McKdaddy:

--- End quote ---

What are you basing this on?  Do TV ratings back-up your opinion?  Please pass after your puff, please.

Boston RedHogs:

--- Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 08, 2012, 09:46:25 am ---Don't be silly.

--- End quote ---

Just a bit of hyperbole to get my point across.  The fact of the matter is that on average the NBA is the 3rd most popular professional league behind the NFL and MLB as far as TV ratings go.

The NBA isn't exactly gaining momentum either, yet the NHL has been the past few seasons.  The NHL has a long way to go, but I'm just saying that the NBA needs to improve their product to get people interested again other than just hoping for a Celtics/Lakers Finals matchup.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: Boston RedHogs on May 08, 2012, 10:37:43 am ---
Just a bit of hyperbole to get my point across.  The fact of the matter is that on average the NBA is the 3rd most popular professional league behind the NFL and MLB as far as TV ratings go.

The NBA isn't exactly gaining momentum either, yet the NHL has been the past few seasons.  The NHL has a long way to go, but I'm just saying that the NBA needs to improve their product to get people interested again other than just hoping for a Celtics/Lakers Finals matchup.

--- End quote ---

If you don't think the NBA hasn't been gaining momentum the past couple of seasons, you simply aren't paying attention.

ESPN/TNT Ratings are stronger than they've been in 15 years,  NBA TV is (depending on favored metric) the fastest growing specialized sports network in viewership -- and with the youngest median age. 

As with most criticisms of the current NBA, this one is founded in information a half decade old or more.  It's currently pulling about a 45% higher TV number than MLB.

How is the NBA doing?

Pretty darn good.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/04/24/abc-delivers-highest-rated-most-viewed-nba-season-ever/130683/

Razorsaw:

I am a heat fan. I have liked them since they brought Zo in.

Oliver:

--- Quote from: Soonerman12 on May 07, 2012, 06:43:47 pm ---Why? Because they've had Kobe for so long? Why do you not cheer for a regional team?

--- End quote ---

The Lakers are my favorite team.  And I know you weren't asking me in particular, but I don't cheer for a regional team because I never switch allegiances.  I picked all of my teams in the 80's and they will forever be my teams so long as they exist. 

Wildhog:

NBA sucks.

Oliver:

--- Quote from: Wildhog on May 08, 2012, 11:07:16 am ---NBA sucks.

--- End quote ---

Currently.  Yes it does.

McKdaddy:

--- Quote from: Oliver on May 08, 2012, 11:01:44 am ---I don't cheer for a regional team because I never switch allegiances.  I picked all of my teams in the 80's and they will forever be my teams so long as they exist. 

--- End quote ---

This, except 70's for me. My favorite teams were picked for me as they were the teams of my dad.  I don't switch teams.

Soonerman12:

Lol. All you guys that say the nba sucks go to one okc thunder game. Make it a playoff game too. You'll love it. Makes any college atmosphere seem pedestrian.  Watch this video. Earlier in the game( on longer YouTube highlights of it) they talked about how it's the loudest crowd ever, decibel- wise, at an nba game. Reached something like 140 decibels at one point. I was there and my ears were ringing after the game was over. Completely insane. You guys don't understand a cities love for a team like that at all. If LR ever gets one you will. It's something else. Passion runs deep in pro sports. Like never knew it could. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sooners and my alma mater, it's just something about your city that your born in having a team and the pride it brings out. I posted the outside the lines video and I'll do it here again why I love nba and my thunder. There's a bond. A very new bond, but it's there. They give a lot to the city. Never in trouble with the law. Good guys off the court. Here are the two vids. One of game 6 vs lakers in 2010. The other a very emotional, for an okc person, of the bond with the team and the players with the city. It's special.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9N7ZwdSCMl8

Outside the lines emotional piece

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5EM_CUgBEuI

dsims2k3:

--- Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on May 08, 2012, 09:12:58 am ---You didn't answer my question, though?

Before the "one and done" rule, kids could go from HS to the NBA. You don't think that watered down the league, but playing a year at Kentucky at the highest level of college basketball has watered the league down?

--- End quote ---

I feel that if a HS kid is pheonominal enough make the leap to the NBA, then by all means let him go.

Pages: (1/4) > >>

Go to full version