• 10,244,383 Posts
• 416,879 Topics
• 24,910 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not a Poll: ESPN Football Coverage vs. Others  (Read 567 times)

CiriusPorker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It's not an "S".
    • flickR - My photography
Not a Poll: ESPN Football Coverage vs. Others
« on: December 17, 2005, 01:25:02 pm »

Which coverage do you prefer for Arkansas sports?  I personally despise ESPN's commentators because they tend to make Arkansas look like a bunch of fools on the field (more than we already tend to do on t.v.)  Even when we play well, they tend to support the other team.   What say you?

Hogs4Ever

• All-American Hogvillian
  • High Octane Petrino
Re: Not a Poll: ESPN Football Coverage vs. Others
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 01:28:21 pm »

I don't like any of them.  I prefer to listen to Paul and Keith.   :razorback:

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 01:30:36 pm »

I still feel like I'm only listening to the radio when I do that.  I use only one medium or the other.

jeffshogs

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 01:43:39 pm »

We only make ESPN when it is a negative headline. Only arrests and losses shall make the highlights and headlines.

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 02:27:39 pm »

I remember years ago, tennessee was one of our early games....it was an ESPN game, ..horrible rain that night.  I was in the student section with some friends. Close game, we lost 10-3.  I ran home to see it on sportscenter like a nerd.  They made it look like Tennessee blew us out...

I was so upset that they made us look bad because we weren't tennessee.  I hate ESPN.  Those guys are perfect examples of arm-chair qb's and fair-weather fans...they only say good things about teams that are winning in the top 10 and have a TROJAN on the side of their helmet. 

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 02:32:25 pm »

I prefer CBS.  I absolutely abhor Jefferson Pilot.  I swear the kids at Camden Fairview could put on a better production...

BloodRedHog

• Mortgage Professional
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 02:38:44 pm »

Ditto...CBS is best...usually fair and balanced...hmmm...sounds like Fox News.

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 02:40:38 pm »

I agree..overall CBS is better.  It's also better because it is easier to access.  Not everywhere you go has ESPN..but CBS is more common, but not by much.

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 02:41:41 pm »

I think ESPN should stand for this "Egotistical Sports-wannabes' Playing Newscasters"

brooks74

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 02:43:09 pm »

I prefer CBS. I absolutely abhor Jefferson Pilot. I swear the kids at Camden Fairview could put on a better production...

JP's commentators are complete idiots.  I am amazed that guys like that are allowed to do games on TV. 

ban0099

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 02:43:32 pm »

I hate the ESPN analyst, heck i hate everyone but Paul and Keith, every time I watched a game on TV, the slant was always.." Wow, this team is awesome...and there's Arkansas" regardless of who we played it was biased commentating.

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 02:46:53 pm »

Sorry can't get behind Keith, only has his job so his son would come, and he went to OU...

brooks74

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 02:50:28 pm »

I like a few of ESPN's commentators, but they are never the ones that do our games.  Ron Franklin is good, and I like Mike Golic on NFL stuff and his radio show, but he has no business doing college games.  I like Herbstreit too.  But that is about it on ESPN

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 02:53:50 pm »

I don't like Lee Corso very much.  Can anyone tell me where he coached?  He seems like a know-it-all...

I wonder what Mike thinks about these different stations?

WILL CLINTON

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2005, 02:59:01 pm »

I don't like Lee Corso very much. Can anyone tell me where he coached? He seems like a know-it-all...

I wonder what Mike thinks about these different stations?

Louisville, Indiana, Northern Illinois
« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 03:00:56 pm by dubyacee »

wacohog

• Varsity
  • I think I think, ergo, I think I am...I think
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2005, 03:02:18 pm »

until we win more consistently, we will continue to be dealt with in a condescending fashion by the talking heads on TV.

At this point, they all make me sick; however, we have done this to ourselves in my opinion by having 15 years of almost  constant mediocrity in football.

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 03:05:05 pm »

until we win more consistently, we will continue to be dealt with in a condescending fashion by the talking heads on TV.

At this point, they all make me sick; however, we have done this to ourselves in my opinion by having 15 years of almost constant mediocrity in football.

I agree.  But I think that's about to change.  Not to get too big of expectations, but in the unlikely event that we upset USC next year.....you can expect them to talk us up until we lose to a third-rate team..

Hogs4Ever

• All-American Hogvillian
  • High Octane Petrino
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2005, 03:06:01 pm »

I prefer CBS. I absolutely abhor Jefferson Pilot. I swear the kids at Camden Fairview could put on a better production...

So true.  JP are such a bunch of homers it's disgusting. 

brooks74

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2005, 03:08:54 pm »

CBS Saturday afternoon group is okay. Verne Lundquist gets on my nerves but I think they at least try to be fair to both sides. Spencer Tillman is horrible. He's still trying to dislodge his head out of Houston's butt.

Tillman is awful.  A friend of mine and I were watching the LSU game and he was making up words.  I think he kept saying physicalness or something.  Not even a word and he repeated it probably 10 times.

hawkeyefan17

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2005, 06:21:03 pm »

Good thread. The issue of team coverage in the media is a valid issue to discuss.

To be truthful I find all of the coverage of Arkansas sports to be horrible. The radio brodcasts of basketball and football games are generally pretty good but other than that I pretty much dislike all of it.

They always portray Arkansas as the underdog team and they constantly mess up names and make it seem like Arkansas should never win anything. In fairness however, the love you guys constantly recieved during the Nolan era from ESPN and other networks got to be a little tiresome, much in the way that their coverage of Duke and UConn is ridiculous.

Jefferson Pilot is barely watchable because it is such a homer network and CBS is pretty good but they don't show enough SEC games. There should be an SEC doubleheader every satuday on CBS, since that is your network.

I find the coverage of Arkansas to be similar to that of my favorite team, the Iowa Hawkeyes. We have to do something extremely incredible to get recogntion. For instance, from my standpoint ESPN really wanted Kentucky to beat Iowa when they played in Kansas City during the Guardians Classic. Just from how they were framing their comments I got the sense that they felt that Iowa should never ever beat a team like Kentucky.

Just my view.

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2005, 06:30:50 pm »

Thanks hawkeye.  For me its a very frustrating topic, but I was 14 when the Hogs won the NC in basketball...and I was so shocked that Arkansas was Dick Vitale's pick for the NC.  Nonetheless, I knew very little at the time, and since then, I got so tired of hearing the b.s. that comes from their mouths.

Razorbrett

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 06:33:36 pm »

Which coverage do you prefer for Arkansas sports? I personally despise ESPN's commentators because they tend to make Arkansas look like a bunch of fools on the field (more than we already tend to do on t.v.) Even when we play well, they tend to support the other team. What say you?

It's hard to say which I prefer, but I can clearly say which I don't.  That would be FOX Sports!!  Our own Billy Ray Smith, made fun of us while we were down at halftime against USC!!  It wasn't appreciated and BRS is not welcome back here as far as I am concerned (not that I matter or anything).

CiriusPorker

• It's not an "S".
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 06:40:22 pm »

Which coverage do you prefer for Arkansas sports? I personally despise ESPN's commentators because they tend to make Arkansas look like a bunch of fools on the field (more than we already tend to do on t.v.) Even when we play well, they tend to support the other team. What say you?

It's hard to say which I prefer, but I can clearly say which I don't. That would be FOX Sports!! Our own Billy Ray Smith, made fun of us while we were down at halftime against USC!! It wasn't appreciated and BRS is not welcome back here as far as I am concerned (not that I matter or anything).

I think every sports commentator who covers USC tends to have their head up Pete Carrol's arse.  It's a bit annoying, and with the awful defensive showing inthat game...i was ready to hang herring..but he redeemed himself by the end of the season.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas