• 10,682,123 Posts
• 418,485 Topics
• 24,568 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saw most fans standing all night...  (Read 1582 times)

Conway Hog

Saw most fans standing all night...
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:04:53 pm »

wonder what the reaction is of those who chose to sit down most of the game.  Sure hope there was less complaining about the real fans standing and calling on the Hogs.  Hawg ball is Back!!!!!  Go Hogs!!!!!!!!!

HoginHouston

Re: Saw most fans standing all night...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07:42 pm »

I bet it was weird asking people to sit down when EVERYONE was standing the whole game!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:16:30 pm »

I heard a bunch of $hit early in the season mostly on the radio that they built BWA too big blah blah blah.  Especially by one a hole whose last name is akin to Martina Navratilova.

Anyhoo all I have to say to those blowhards is FU.  There are 300,000 people up here and if you give them a good gd product they will come in droves.  We have proven that in a little over a week we went from playing to 12k to 20k because football/holidays were over and people saw we have a kick a$$ team that plays an entertaining style of ball.  Bball tickets are now the hottest commodity around.

Thinking BWA is too big is that GD little ole Arkansas mindset.  Stick it Martina, Rick and all you other jack a$$es.  We are Arkansas!  I say it with pride not as an excuse.

mightybulldogs12

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:58:47 pm »

i did not sit the whole game. can not talk and to excited to sleep!  Go hogs! I have never heard it so loud in there.

lookinupthehill

• All-American Hogvillian
  • ARKANSAS Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:36:33 am »

Our freakin section sucked.  It was the geriatric section apparently.  I told the guy behind me at the beginning of the game that me and my buddy would be standing ALOT and to let me know if we were in his way.  The only reason I did that was because he had his little girl with him and I didn't want to totally block her experience (especially since I had just taken my little girl to the OU game).  He was totally cool and said not to worry about it, they stood for at least half the game.  HOWEVER, the entire rest of the section especially the 4 oldies in front of us never got off their butts the entire game and hardly made a peep. 

When we made the little run to go up 13-6 or whatever, I stood up and looked around giving the arms flailing "get up and cheer" thing.... Got a whole crap load of "look at that dumba$$" looks.  Pathetic.

dacskc

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 12:53:13 am »

Our freakin section sucked.  It was the geriatric section apparently.  I told the guy behind me at the beginning of the game that me and my buddy would be standing ALOT and to let me know if we were in his way.  The only reason I did that was because he had his little girl with him and I didn't want to totally block her experience (especially since I had just taken my little girl to the OU game).  He was totally cool and said not to worry about it, they stood for at least half the game.  HOWEVER, the entire rest of the section especially the 4 oldies in front of us never got off their butts the entire game and hardly made a peep. 

When we made the little run to go up 13-6 or whatever, I stood up and looked around giving the arms flailing "get up and cheer" thing.... Got a whole crap load of "look at that dumba$$" looks.  Pathetic.

When we first got there (hubby, myself, daughter &her bf) I thought we were in a terrible section also(about 60/40 of the 65+ crowd). I was pleasantly surprised...most people were on their feet and LOUD. The best one was the little old lady who got irate about the fourth time Texas went over the back without a call. She started a four-letter tirade aimed at the refs. It was awesome. I thought the group of guys in front of us were never going to be able to stop laughing. Generally, at games I am the embarrassing loud one (as the husband is too cool to make a spectacle of himself and my daughter is too embarrassed) but tonight he  stood and cheered... and even the 15 yr old daughter stopped texting long enough to get into it at the end.

I once was told to "sit down and get a life" at a football game...but not tonight!!!

HawgnCorona

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 01:58:12 am »

When we first got there (hubby, myself, daughter &her bf) I thought we were in a terrible section also(about 60/40 of the 65+ crowd). I was pleasantly surprised...most people were on their feet and LOUD. The best one was the little old lady who got irate about the fourth time Texas went over the back without a call. She started a four-letter tirade aimed at the refs. It was awesome. I thought the group of guys in front of us were never going to be able to stop laughing. Generally, at games I am the embarrassing loud one (as the husband is too cool to make a spectacle of himself and my daughter is too embarrassed) but tonight he  stood and cheered... and even the 15 yr old daughter stopped texting long enough to get into it at the end.

I once was told to "sit down and get a life" at a football game...but not tonight!!!

hey thats great to hear you had such a great experience for you and your fan family...right on!! GHG!!!

spehog

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 02:02:25 am »

I got to the game late and was at the tail end of the student section and only had to sit during time outs. While I don't think we were overall louder than the OU game the 2nd half was insane, especially the last 5 minutes. Good job BWA...glad I made it for my 5th year in college haha.

asparkm

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 02:03:37 am »

The elderly couple behind me were yelling for people to sit down during the first half, and then got up and left when we were up 1 with a minute left!

arod2024

• Bench Warmer
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 02:36:09 am »

There were a bunch of people sitting down around me late in the game. I told them I drive a 6 hr round trip to come up there and I've only missed two this year. Get your off your butt! As I said that Welsh buried his three and I was talking to people behind me who all jumped at once! I thought I had inspired people but it was just Welsh! :) Luckily I could see ta v from where I was and saw it tape delayed!

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 02:40:36 am »

Watching on TV it looked like a lot of people were sitting for most of the game.  The only time it seemed like people got into it was when we were winning or making a comeback.  I was at a bar and could not hear the game so I have no idea how loud it was or what it was really like at the game.  I did mention to the people I was with that I wish people would stand up even more and not just when we were doing good.

RedSatinHog

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:07:28 am »

I bet it was weird asking people to sit down when EVERYONE was standing the whole game!

It happened with me.  An old geezer came down and asked me and the guys sitting next to me to sit down so they could see the game from 2 rows back.  I looked at him and laughed, then told the guys sitting next to me and they did the same.

Then the 3 gorgeous brunettes and 1 bodacious blonde who sat in the row between me and the geezer showed up.  Those ladies never sat down and shut up from the point they arrived, and I spent half the game high-fiving them.

Another similar incident happened right across the exit row from where we were all sitting.  Screw 'em.  If they want to sit down and watch the whole game, stay on the couch.  It's a basketball game, not some country club cotillion.

dacskc

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:13:09 am »

The elderly couple behind me were yelling for people to sit down during the first half, and then got up and left when we were up 1 with a minute left!

I really don't get it...why bother going to the game if they hate having to do the things that fans are supposed to do? The way I see it, if they don't want to stand and cheer, why be there in the first place...stay home and watch the Weather Channel for Pete's sake.

Conway Hog

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 09:54:26 am »

I really don't get it...why bother going to the game if they hate having to do the things that fans are supposed to do? The way I see it, if they don't want to stand and cheer, why be there in the first place...stay home and watch the Weather Channel for Pete's sake.

Totally agree...glad to see and hear people were up and calling those Hogs like I was doing in my living room.  I think I stool in front of my tv most of the night...like during the OU game!!!  Hawg ball in Back!!!!!!!!!!!

Burt B.

• Hogvillian
  • Hunting Llamas for sport
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:18:24 am »

Totally agree...glad to see and hear people were up and calling those Hogs like I was doing in my living room.  I think I stool in front of my tv most of the night...like during the OU game!!!  Hawg ball in Back!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you didn't stool! Just steven Hill next time instead. ;D

RazorBrat

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 10:22:31 am »

The best one was the little old lady who got irate about the fourth time Texas went over the back without a call. She started a four-letter tirade aimed at the refs. It was awesome.

/quote]

My aim in life is to be that little old lady some day!

Jdub

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It takes a village to raise an idiot.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:55 am »

Watching on TV last night when the crowd started the Arkansas--Razorbacks chant across the arena, the crowd behind the bench areas were not standing or chanting.  Disappointing.  Did notice a lot of grey hair.  I cannot fathom not being involved in that kind of atmosphere against the turdhorns no less.

Having said that, my hat is off to the rest of you who were yelling and having a good time.  Have not heard that from that arena in a long time.

razorback4ever

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:08 am »

I too have been frustrated with "down in front" at FB and BB games, but I have also been on the other side of the coin.
I have no respect for "fans" that come to a game and refuse to do nothing more than sit, especially those who won't even get off their butts to call the hogs. They are usually long time boosters who think they deserve to watch the game anyway they would like and pay too much for some jerk to block their view. I say let your tickets go to someone who will participate if you've reached that state in your fandom.
Now on the other side of the coin are the vocal fans that simply can not stand for more than a minute or so at a time. When I would take my elderly father to FB and BB games, he just couldn't stand and watch the games. He accepted this but was hard for me to take. Nothing sucks more than to be at a game and only be able to see someones back the whole time when you CAN'T stand the whole game.
I would love to see a shuffling of season ticket holders, bringing in some new blood and enthusiasm to those seats surrounding the court. Reality dictates that those seats will remain in the hands of the long standing boosters, many of whom are elderly. As frustrating as it is that won't change.
If they refuse to call the hogs and cheer when everyone else is, screw em'! Stand in front of them and tell them to be a fan.
If they are a good fan but can't stand long, be considerate and understanding, sitting when you can.
JMO, take it for what it's worth.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:48:52 am by razorback4ever »

pigsooiec5

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:39 am »

I had a lady sit behind me in the upper deck ask me and my buddy to "please sit back in your chairs, when you lean forward and sit on the edge like that it blocks our view of the game." 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 10:53:59 am »

Well it needs to be a little give and take when it comes to the games I usually stand at any of the games I attend much to my wife's embarrassment.

Since I work at my HS I go and walk around in the back corner just outside of the Endzone line with my Principal and some of the basketball staff.

Now that I am older and have a bad leg I would be a little upset to pay good money drive 8 hours and have to look as some of ya'lls Butts for the whole game.  I can walk ok but standing for a long time hurts like Hades.

BrooklynRoss

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 10:57:34 am »

I heard a bunch of $hit early in the season mostly on the radio that they built BWA too big blah blah blah.  Especially by one a hole whose last name is akin to Martina Navratilova.

Anyhoo all I have to say to those blowhards is FU.  There are 300,000 people up here and if you give them a good gd product they will come in droves.  We have proven that in a little over a week we went from playing to 12k to 20k because football/holidays were over and people saw we have a kick a$$ team that plays an entertaining style of ball.  Bball tickets are now the hottest commodity around.

Thinking BWA is too big is that GD little ole Arkansas mindset.  Stick it Martina, Rick and all you other jack a$$es.  We are Arkansas!  I say it with pride not as an excuse.

Haha, how do you really feel? Nicely put. There may have been people sitting, but in the second half when the crowd called the hogs during a timeout, it was so loud you couldn't hear the ESPN 2 analysts, who were mic'd.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:02:55 am by BrooklynRoss »

dacskc

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 11:30:04 am »

I too have been frustrated with "down in front" at FB and BB games, but I have also been on the other side of the coin.
I have no respect for "fans" that come to a game and refuse to do nothing more than sit, especially those who won't even get off their butts to call the hogs. They are usually long time boosters who think they deserve to watch the game anyway they would like and pay too much for some jerk to block their view. I say let your tickets go to someone who will participate if you've reached that state in your fandom.
Now on the other side of the coin are the vocal fans that simply can not stand for more than a minute or so at a time. When I would take my elderly father to FB and BB games, he just couldn't stand and watch the games. He accepted this but was hard for me to take. Nothing sucks more than to be at a game and only be able to see someones back the whole time when you CAN'T stand the whole game.
I would love to see a shuffling of season ticket holders, bringing in some new blood and enthusiasm to those seats surrounding the court. Reality dictates that those seats will remain in the hands of the long standing boosters, many of whom are elderly. As frustrating as it is that won't change.
If they refuse to call the hogs and cheer when everyone else is, screw em'! Stand in front of them and tell them to be a fan.
If they are a good fan but can't stand long, be considerate and understanding, sitting when you can.
JMO, take it for what it's worth.

There need to be some accomodations made for fans who are unable to stand. It seems like they should be able to do something on request, or provide a specific seating area for those who need it. They came up with the courtside seats, so I can assume the necessary space could be found... I have no sympathy for lazy fans...but it is a shame when you'd like to be up cheering but can't. Somebody else's backside can't compare with a Mike Washington dunk.

maumellebyrd

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 11:38:10 am »

There need to be some accomodations made for fans who are unable to stand. It seems like they should be able to do something on request, or provide a specific seating area for those who need it. They came up with the courtside seats, so I can assume the necessary space could be found... I have no sympathy for lazy fans...but it is a shame when you'd like to be up cheering but can't. Somebody else's backside can't compare with a Mike Washington dunk.

I agree.  Fans who cannot stand for medical or physical reasons shouldn't have some able bodied half drunk 25-30 year old in their face saying stand up.  It's not fair.

A special section should be made, imho

Khallos

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2009, 12:18:29 pm »

i was told to sit down once at football game (i stand and scream on defensive third downs, regardless of the situation) so i politely informed the gentleman that he should go to the walton arts center if he wanted to see a f*&$ing opera.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 12:27:08 pm »

I agree.  Fans who cannot stand for medical or physical reasons shouldn't have some able bodied half drunk 25-30 year old in their face saying stand up.  It's not fair.

A special section should be made, imho

They have a special section.  It has nice comfortable chairs and couches and a great view of the action.  Anything you want to eat and a private bathroom.

It's called "The Living Room"

Conway Hog

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 02:05:08 pm »

I hope you didn't stool! Just steven Hill next time instead. ;D

Yes, standing or stood sounds a whole lot better!  :)

Sue E NoNutts

• Senior
  • Haters gonna hate
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 02:07:07 pm »

They should move the student section to the other side of the court.  The TV is pointed towards the geriatric section, so it looks like our crowd is dead.

razorback4ever

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 02:30:46 pm »

They should move the student section to the other side of the court.  The TV is pointed towards the geriatric section, so it looks like our crowd is dead.

This is a good point and one I've noticed myself. The problem is getting many of the geriatric crowd to agree to move. Most have had the same seats since BWA opened and wouldn't move without a crowbar and a bottle of ex-lax.
I know it won't happen, but I would love to see a senior section, then the rest of us. If you have tickets outside the senior section or sections, you can't tell people to sit down. Aint gonna happen......but.......nothing worse than having the camera panning up and down the court during a good game and seeing the majority of a section sitting there with a constipated look on their faces.

kingoftherapids

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 02:40:02 pm »

heard on the radio last night that they can't have the student section behind the visiting bench.

Sue E NoNutts

• Senior
  • Haters gonna hate
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 03:50:47 pm »

heard on the radio last night that they can't have the student section behind the visiting bench.

Interesting.  Do you know if that's an SEC rule?  When you watch Duke ( :puke:)home games, their student section is rockin' behind the bench -- or so I thought.  Am I mistaken?

kingoftherapids

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 03:55:43 pm »

yea, it is an sec rule

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 04:03:09 pm »

I had unbelievable seats last night thanks to a friend.  We were 8 rows behind the Texas bench. 
Overall, the crowd was great. 
But what I don't get is how 5 Duke fans can come right in before tip and sit on row 3!!! 
I saw them sign some paper when they got there but geez let some die hard Hog fans have those tickets. 
Does anyone know what this was about?

HawgAdvocate

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I got haters aplenty
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 04:08:09 pm »

They've had 13 years to sit. We're going to be great again. It's our time to stand.

DaJobby VanPeltrino

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 09:11:15 pm »

My favorites are the two white-haired ladies that sit midcourt, 3rd row between the benches and NEVER stand up, cheer, wear red, or anything.  I'm sure they donate alot of money to the program, and they seem like nice ladies (kind of remind me of my grandmother), but they definitely don't help the atmosphere.  Watch them next game, its almost comical.

In fact, I noticed last night that, for the most part, the closer people were to the court the less they cheered. 

RedSatinHog

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 09:16:19 pm »

They've had 13 years to sit. We're going to be great again. It's our time to stand.

+1.  That is certifiably the BEST one I have heard yet.

bwbcpa

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 09:58:39 pm »

Some of us are old enough to remember what it was like to stand and make noise at Barnhill - the last two games have brought back some great memories! Stand and yell all you want!  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas