• 10,569,534 Posts
• 416,066 Topics
• 23,902 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FEWER MISTAKES against the SHORTHORNS  (Read 1204 times)

want2be

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Keeping up wih the Bounce
FEWER MISTAKES against the SHORTHORNS
« on: September 22, 2008, 04:43:42 pm »

OK, last week was disappointing. I don't think you will see that many mistakes from a Petrino coached team again. And if you take away alot of those mistakes it would have been respectable. Texas's pass and run defense is not as good as Bama and they have not played anyone yet who has given them the looks we will on offense. Their weak link is their secondary.

Many this team will focus with their backs against the wall for a road game. Casey is from Texas and he will want to redeem himself from last week. No time and place better to do it.

On defense Petrino and Robinson are saying the problem was not with the dline and they are not concerned about their lack of size. What they are concerned with it the mistakes made with bad angles by the safties and backers.

Sure I think Texas will score, but I think we cut down the mistakes on both sides of the ball and we score on them also.
I think you will see an improved team and the outcome will be respectable. That may not be a win, but it will be a battle.

311Hog

Re: FEWER MISTAKES against the SHORTHORNS
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 04:47:30 pm »

All they would really need to do is, not turn the ball over.  Would be a huge bonus.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

want2be

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:51:59 pm »

All they would really need to do is, not turn the ball over.  Would be a huge bonus.

There is no way Casey will repeat that bad a performance.....AND we are still due to get more fumbles and interceptions to balance the scale. We only have one turnover (interception) so far this year.

BEvERage

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:54:49 pm »

and if we score more points we should win

Break & Run

• Let me take your money on the pool table.
    • Break and Run Web Design
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:55:10 pm »

Think about it, the game was going our way practically UNTIL the first mistake, the roughing the kicker call on bama's first drive, i honestly think Arkansas may have won that game if it hadnt been for that itrocious call... IMHO

want2be

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 05:00:08 pm »

Think about it, the game was going our way practically UNTIL the first mistake, the roughing the kicker call on bama's first drive, i honestly think Arkansas may have won that game if it hadnt been for that itrocious call... IMHO

That was a piece of _hit call on the roughing the punter. But, it is mistakes like that which cause the momentum to change.

I don't think we would have won, but it sure would have been a dog fight if you take away the blunders.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 05:14:50 pm »

Something about that Arkansas jersey makes Texas wilt. I'm not saying we'll win, but there's no way I see them beating us 49-14 like Bama did. Cut out the INTs and penalties and we could have a very close game at halftime.

burt

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 05:15:29 pm »

the second half score was alabama 14 arkansas 7. sounds like improvement to me. two year pass!

Hoggy1

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 05:53:54 pm »

the second half score was alabama 14 arkansas 7. sounds like improvement to me. two year pass!

Or maybe you should just go to Oxford and cheer on 7 wins a year!

Wait, Dale will be out of a job by 2010.

Sorry Burt.....lol, Burt.

El Puerco

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:54:43 pm »

You have to think Muschamp will have them ready to play

want2be

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 05:55:18 pm »

Texas is favored by 28 and I will take a bet with anyone that we will cover that pointspread. 14 would be realistic.

In addition to mistakes, our defense needs to develop and meanstreak. They are getting no respect and they should come out hungry.

budcampbellfan

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 05:57:17 pm »

Something about that Arkansas jersey makes Texas wilt. I'm not saying we'll win, but there's no way I see them beating us 49-14 like Bama did. Cut out the INTs and penalties and we could have a very close game at halftime.
The second half could have been just as bad as the first if Saban had not called off the dogs.

Arazorbackguy1

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 05:58:39 pm »

OK, last week was disappointing. I don't think you will see that many mistakes from a Petrino coached team again.

Isn't that what they said after Western Illinois and Louisiana-Monroe?

kclvr

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 06:01:16 pm »

Let me be the one to piss in some of your koolaid cups.  We under no situation where going to win that game or even make it close.  When playing good teams they may you make mistakes.  The roughing the punter call was the first series.  AL could have kept scoring.  After the first 2 games I loved the CD for heisman and he had what 74 yards passing this week.   I am willing to give BP time and I would suggest that for future disapointment please don't expect more than 4 wins this year, anymore than that is a bonus.  Next year is probably not going to be alot better but the year after you can expect changes.

Hoggy1

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 06:05:05 pm »

Let me be the one to piss in some of your koolaid cups.  We under no situation where going to win that game or even make it close.  When playing good teams they may you make mistakes.  The roughing the punter call was the first series.  AL could have kept scoring.  After the first 2 games I loved the CD for heisman and he had what 74 yards passing this week.   I am willing to give BP time and I would suggest that for future disapointment please don't expect more than 4 wins this year, anymore than that is a bonus.  Next year is probably not going to be alot better but the year after you can expect changes.

Alabama didn't make Elton Ford run into the punter...

Bama didn't make Casey throw those 2 picks.  One was an option route where the reciever just broke the wrong way, and Casey read it different.  The other....well, idk what Casey was doing on the 2nd pick.

thats 21 points right there.....the main thing for this team is to master the basics of Petrino' scheme.

Arazorbackguy1

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 06:08:56 pm »

Bama didn't make Casey throw those 2 picks.  One was an option route where the reciever just broke the wrong way, and Casey read it different.  The other....well, idk what Casey was doing on the 2nd pick.

thats 21 points right there.....the main thing for this team is to master the basics of Petrino' scheme.

Let's face it, 49 points was nothing compared to what it could have been had Alabama kept their foot on the gas pedal.  Nick did us a favor by holding back on what coulda been. 

I'm not sure why he showed mercy, but he did and I appreciate it. 

Smoking Pork

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 06:11:36 pm »

What are you spiking the Kool-Aid with?

want2be

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 06:29:43 pm »

Our mistakes came at the worst time they could....As I said, the swing in motivation was never in our favor long enough to sustain positive energy.

I consider the lack of scoring a touchdown late in the first half as a coaching mistake and I don't see that one happening the majority of the time either. Petrino tried Barnett twice (since he did a good job in the spring at running in the redzone). Now Petrino knows now that he has to open more the playbook for the redzone.

kclvr

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 06:53:21 pm »

Our mistakes came at the worst time they could....As I said, the swing in motivation was never in our favor long enough to sustain positive energy.

I consider the lack of scoring a touchdown late in the first half as a coaching mistake and I don't see that one happening the majority of the time either. Petrino tried Barnett twice (since he did a good job in the spring at running in the redzone). Now Petrino knows now that he has to open more the playbook for the redzone.
Are you joking, open up more of the playbook?  He$$ he had to scrap e to find stuff to beat 2 sorry teams or we would be 0-3.  I think BP knows he is playing without a full deck.

hendrix08hog

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 06:56:59 pm »

Uh, ywah. Somehow we magically stop their runners from bouncing oputside and running into the end zone every play.

hendrix08hog

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 06:57:50 pm »

On defense Petrino and Robinson are saying the problem was not with the dline and they are not concerned about their lack of size. What they are concerned with it the mistakes made with bad angles by the safties and backers.

What are they supposed to say? "Yeah, we are undersized and theres nothing we can do about it."

31to6

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 07:04:31 pm »

and he had what 74 yards passing this week.  
The CD for Heisman people are insane. But even as bad as things were, he still had 190 yards passing.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 07:46:20 pm »

OK, last week was disappointing. I don't think you will see that many mistakes from a Petrino coached team again. And if you take away alot of those mistakes it would have been respectable. Texas's pass and run defense is not as good as Bama and they have not played anyone yet who has given them the looks we will on offense. Their weak link is their secondary.

Many this team will focus with their backs against the wall for a road game. Casey is from Texas and he will want to redeem himself from last week. No time and place better to do it.

Sure I think Texas will score, but I think we cut down the mistakes on both sides of the ball and we score on them also.
I think you will see an improved team and the outcome will be respectable. That may not be a win, but it will be a battle.

I've said this over and over and many of here have disagreed and that's fine, but I'm telling you, eliminate the big plays and the INT's and the Alabama game would have been a different game even with the "getting within a yard of the kicker so he could possibly win an Oscar for great acting, penalty".

Against Texas, the first thing obviously is not giving them a doggone thing. We GAVE Bama 28 points. You do that for Texas in Austin and I can assure you it will be a far worse loss than the Alabama game......"Smack" Brown won't call the dogs off so early. If we throw INT's and the O-Line fails to cover to that side of the field after the ball is released, then we'll see more TD's from INT's. The receivers and our QB HAVE to be on the same page.

The defense has to pull its collective heads out and frankly I don't give a damn whether in everyones opinions that we have SEC level talent or not, if a lesser player is where he is supposed to be, he can at least fill the hole that is his responsibility, at least get in the way, slow a ball carrier down and give others an opportunity to gang tackle. The texas run offense ranks #22 with 204.33 per game and a per rush average of 5.07 yds. We have to jam the line of scrimmage.

If we don't limit their running game and knock the pistola out of Colt McCoy early, he will pass the ball all night and our secondary might appear to be emulating a chinese fire drill. You have got to give McCoy, "happy feet", and we all know he has a tendency to get those when he receives some blows that knock the snot out of him. Just shutting down the run won't get the job done, you have to be in McCoy's face all night or he will pass us silly. Texas is ranked #11 in passing offense with 298 a game and 13.15 yds per reception. McCoy's INT percentage is 1.14 to our 4.13. The defense has to step up or it will be a long, long night.

After everyone seeming to be out of position at the exact wrong time this past weekend, I have to admit that things don't look good for the Hogs. All of the mistakes are correctable, but the Hogs have had last spring and camp to learn these calls and learn where they are supposed to be at any given time. I am not optimistic that what they seemed to not know this past weekend, they will learn in 5-6 days.

I think the Hogs can play far more respectably than they did last weekend. We did give Alabama 28 points. But from the looks of this team at this point of the season, even with fewer mistakes, I don't see them winning. If they do all that I proposed above, they will keep it closer and play much better. On the other hand, if they shoot both of their feet off again before they even have a chance to get started, this game will get ugly. I just wish I knew which team was going to show up.

I'll go out on a limb here and take Arkansas and the points. I don't think Texas covers the 27 points.......provided we show up.

Hoggy1

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 07:50:04 pm »

I've said this over and over and many of here have disagreed and that's fine, but I'm telling you, eliminate the big plays and the INT's and the Alabama game would have been a different game even with the "getting within a yard of the kicker so he could possibly win an Oscar for great acting, penalty".

Against Texas, the first thing obviously is not giving them a doggone thing. We GAVE Bama 28 points. You do that for Texas in Austin and I can assure you it will be a far worse loss than the Alabama game......"Smack" Brown won't call the dogs off so early. If we throw INT's and the O-Line fails to cover to that side of the field after the ball is released, then we'll see more TD's from INT's. The receivers and our QB HAVE to be on the same page.

The defense has to pull its collective heads out and frankly I don't give a damn whether in everyones opinions that we have SEC level talent or not, if a lesser player is where he is supposed to be, he can at least fill the hole that is his responsibility, at least get in the way, slow a ball carrier down and give others an opportunity to gang tackle. The texas run offense ranks #22 with 204.33 per game and a per rush average of 5.07 yds. We have to jam the line of scrimmage.

If we don't limit their running game and knock the pistola out of Colt McCoy early, he will pass the ball all night and our secondary might appear to be emulating a chinese fire drill. You have got to give McCoy, "happy feet", and we all know he has a tendency to get those when he receives some blows that knock the snot out of him. Just shutting down the run won't get the job done, you have to be in McCoy's face all night or he will pass us silly. Texas is ranked #11 in passing offense with 298 a game and 13.15 yds per reception. McCoy's INT percentage is 1.14 to our 4.13. The defense has to step up or it will be a long, long night.

After everyone seeming to be out of position at the exact wrong time this past weekend, I have to admit that things don't look good for the Hogs. All of the mistakes are correctable, but the Hogs have had last spring and camp to learn these calls and learn where they are supposed to be at any given time. I am not optimistic that what they seemed to not know this past weekend, they will learn in 5-6 days.

I think the Hogs can play far more respectably than they did last weekend. We did give Alabama 28 points. But from the looks of this team at this point of the season, even with fewer mistakes, I don't see them winning. If they do all that I proposed above, they will keep it closer and play much better. On the other hand, if they shoot both of their feet off again before they even have a chance to get started, this game will get ugly. I just wish I knew which team was going to show up.

I'll go out on a limb here and take Arkansas and the points. I don't think Texas covers the 27 points.......provided we show up.

I agree with you.  These defensive players were recruited to play SEC caliber football.

Is it to much to ask of them to just "get in the way".  Bad defenses can find a way too create traffic jams and come up with some gang tackles.....last Saturday was the complete opposite.  Past the first line of defense I saw no gang tackling what so ever.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 07:56:27 pm »

I agree with you.  These defensive players were recruited to play SEC caliber football.

Is it to much to ask of them to just "get in the way".  Bad defenses can find a way too create traffic jams and come up with some gang tackles.....last Saturday was the complete opposite.  Past the first line of defense I saw no gang tackling what so ever.

Guess who led the team in solo tackles? The secondary with 11. LB's-8 DL-3

want2be

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 08:00:10 pm »

After the Defense watching film of the Bama game a couple of times on  Sunday...I would suspect their manhood was challenged....These guys need to go into this game embarassed and play reckless. Part of their mistakes come from a lack of making up their mind quickly......This week, I expect they will be taught to attack and not worry about the gamble. It may backfire against the passing game, but at least we won't see loooooong untouched runs.

Hoggy1

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 08:01:03 pm »

Guess who led the team in solo tackles? The secondary with 11. LB's-8 DL-3

Well I guess my eyes weren't lying to me.... 8)

That's pretty bad though,  we only had 22 tackles in the game....lol. 

Gets worse every time I take a look at the numbers....

want2be

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 08:04:16 pm »

What are they supposed to say? "Yeah, we are undersized and theres nothing we can do about it."

No they are supposed to KNOW that if you are in shape, have a big heart and are quicker than you can offset size alot of the time.......Let Butu or Bua give them a sermon on big vs want2.

want2be

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:29 pm »

Uh, ywah. Somehow we magically stop their runners from bouncing oputside and running into the end zone every play.

It is obvoius that the safties and backers have to take the right angle and plug the hole........Do you not think they will continue to learn from their mistakes ?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 08:06:59 pm »

Well I guess my eyes weren't lying to me.... 8)

That's pretty bad though,  we only had 22 tackles in the game....lol. 

Gets worse every time I take a look at the numbers....

22 solo's, 42 assisted.....pity there isn't a better way to break that out though.

Hoggy1

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 08:26:27 pm »

22 solo's, 42 assisted.....pity there isn't a better way to break that out though.

Oops, I forgot the assisted part.

That was an I just doobie moment, sorry for the inconvenience.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 08:32:49 pm »

After the Defense watching film of the Bama game a couple of times on  Sunday...I would suspect their manhood was challenged....These guys need to go into this game embarassed and play reckless. Part of their mistakes come from a lack of making up their mind quickly......This week, I expect they will be taught to attack and not worry about the gamble. It may backfire against the passing game, but at least we won't see loooooong untouched runs.

They hesitated because they haven't learned the calls well enough to just execute them instead of having to think about what they are supposed to do. It all has to be coordinated. One guys busts an assignment and it can wind up like some of the TD's we gave Alabama last week. Every guy plays his part. You have to be where where you are supposed be. After that, it all comes to down whomever has the most desire and a nose for the ball.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 08:54:58 pm »

No they are supposed to KNOW that if you are in shape, have a big heart and are quicker than you can offset size alot of the time.......Let Butu or Bua give them a sermon on big vs want2.

All of that is good but I would add having your head screwed on straight and covering your assignments. Do that, and it all comes together.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas