• 10,394,566 Posts
• 410,890 Topics
• 23,485 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 438 [439] 440 441 442 ... 448   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 1139215 times)

twistitup

Re: Best way to Fayetteville
« Reply #21900 on: February 17, 2019, 07:32:53 am »

Living in the Memphis area I can say there are quite a few places one doesn’t have to risk their life to get good Q.

Hopefully Memphis IS improving, that would be awesome.

Are the Hogs playing Spartans in Memphis?

I guess I didn't realize this...

/

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #21901 on: February 17, 2019, 07:34:07 am »

Hopefully Memphis is improving, that would be awesome.

Are we playing the Spartans in Memphis?

I guess I didn't realize this...

No we aren’t. But you brought Memphis up in the thread.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

twistitup

« Reply #21902 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:52 am »

No we aren’t. But you brought Memphis up in the thread.

Doc slammed NWA bbq and I assumed he was a fan of "famous" Memphis or KC Q - I think it's more marketing than anything else....but that's neither here nor there.

Go Hogs! I'm just glad to find out the game is still in Fayetteville.....and yes, Wrights has good bbq and they are in NWA

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #21903 on: February 17, 2019, 07:36:07 am »

Living in the Memphis area I can say there are quite a few places one doesn’t have to risk their life to get good Q.

I can always go for the Memphis spread but KC has some decent Q and its closer to NWA.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #21904 on: February 17, 2019, 07:37:54 am »

We now return to SpartaRick1’s OP.... ;)
Remember, never argue in front of company.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #21905 on: February 17, 2019, 07:38:36 am »

Doc slammed NWA bbq and I assumed he was a fan of "famous" Memphis or KC Q - I think it's more marketing than anything else....but that's neither here nor there.

Go Hogs! I'm just glad to find out the game is still in Fayetteville.....and yes, Wrights has good bbq and they are in NWA

I like Brisket and Pork at Wrights but the sides were disappointing. Beans are undercooked and the Potato salad is a style I just don't care for.

twistitup

« Reply #21906 on: February 17, 2019, 07:40:27 am »

Spartan Fans:

Have a great time in Fayetteville (and NWA)....

Please don't tell too many people!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21907 on: February 17, 2019, 07:50:11 am »

I can always go for the Memphis spread but KC has some decent Q and its closer to NWA.

Different styles but good Q is always good no matter what style.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #21908 on: February 17, 2019, 08:07:56 am »

Wrights is a good brisket joint.  The rest is on level with the rest of NWA BBQ, which is not great.

twistitup

« Reply #21909 on: February 17, 2019, 08:16:19 am »

I'll speak for Crystal Bridges Museum, I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but it was definitely amazing and well worth the trip.  You'll see artwork there that rivals what you see in New York.

Lol, so very true.  No BBQ anywhere in NWA worth a damn.
Also, there is no catfish places to eat at either, but the catfish hole does have good hush puppies, catfish is only edible at best.

He's an expert on Art Museums, Catfish, and Q....can we say, well rounded? Dude is like a modern day Renaissance man 

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #21910 on: February 17, 2019, 08:18:17 am »

You won’t be in the middle of no where........but you will sure be able to see if from there

thebignasty

« Reply #21911 on: February 17, 2019, 08:20:07 am »

He's an expert on Art Museums, Catfish, and Q....can we say, well rounded?

I guess Crystal Bridges proves that I'm an uncultured buffoon.  It is by all accounts a world class art museum. I've been once and decided it wasn't worth the 30  minute drive up from Fayetteville, for me.

So go if you are into that thing, but I guess its not magical enough to make you get art if art isn't your thing.  I'd rather go tool around Pea Ridge Battlefield Park.

jkstock04

« Reply #21912 on: February 17, 2019, 09:37:42 am »

You haven’t been to Wright’s have you? It’s pretty good. But NWA is sorely lacking in really good BBQ and catfish.
It's worth checking out but I wouldn't make it a regular. It's Texas style bbq.... vinegar based stuff. Different and pretty good...but it's expensive and (my biggest criticism) you get only small portions. Best bang for buck BBQ wise is still gonna be Wholehog or Ed's.

hoggusamoungus

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #21913 on: February 17, 2019, 09:50:21 am »

Book your motel early, Fayetteville sells out early, but there will be rooms from Bentonville to Springdale available. You'll either need to rent a car, or get an Uber if you stay north of Fayetteville, 10-20 miles from the stadium.

With such a weak home schedule this year, I wonder if Fayetteville hotels will sell out.  I paid my RF dues but didn't renew season tickets and doubt I'm the only one.

« Reply #21914 on: February 17, 2019, 12:04:09 pm »

Hello:

This is a Spartan fan from San Jose.  I'll be coming to Fayetteville to watch the Spartans play the Razorbacks.  Any advice on where to fly in?  Transport to games?  Hotels and places in which to stay?  Appreciate all of your help.  Thanks.

WOW.

I never saw one question about where to eat.
Never saw mention of bbq either.

But this is after all HV and one never misses a chance to project.

It may be a woman. They are from Silicon Valley so the food taste
might be somewhat more eclectic than bbq catfish, and frito pie.
Maybe Sushi, Indian, Thai or maybe Northern Italian.

As for camping ? really? Flying in from SJO and they are going to bring camping gear?

If it were me I would get a direct flight, find an air bnb near Dickson/Stadium look
up restaurants on Google maps or Yelp and watch my team get stomped into the turf.

Enjoy Fayetteville take lots of pictures and enjoy your flight home

tusksincolorado

• I will teach you Italian....the fun way.
« Reply #21915 on: February 17, 2019, 12:10:00 pm »

WOW.

As for camping ? really? Flying in from SJO and they are going to bring camping gear?

If it were me I would get a direct flight, find an air bnb near Dickson/Stadium look
up restaurants on Google maps or Yelp and watch my team get stomped into the turf.

This is a very loyal fan to leave the Bay Area, and see where the other 1/4 lives....

little pigee

• I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #21916 on: February 17, 2019, 12:14:44 pm »

Why do you guys always have fight?  Just give your suggestions and respect those of others.
BTW, Penguin Ed's is not very good.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #21917 on: February 17, 2019, 12:55:31 pm »

It's worth checking out but I wouldn't make it a regular. It's Texas style bbq.... vinegar based stuff. Different and pretty good...but it's expensive and (my biggest criticism) you get only small portions. Best bang for buck BBQ wise is still gonna be Wholehog or Ed's.
Agree on Wright’s. It’s pretty good, but not a good value for the amount you get and what you pay.

thebignasty

« Reply #21918 on: February 17, 2019, 01:01:19 pm »

WOW.

Good post.  There is very little possibility that someone flying in from half away across the country to see a game in a foreign place would be interested in food recommendations. 

Keep it on topic fellas.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #21919 on: February 17, 2019, 01:01:30 pm »

This is a very loyal fan to leave the Bay Area, and see where the other 1/4 lives....

Well he will miss the people crapping on the sidewalks and watching people shoot up drugs.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #21920 on: February 17, 2019, 01:03:19 pm »

Why do you guys always have fight?  Just give your suggestions and respect those of others.

You know I was born in Memphis and I guess have a different view on BBQ.  I go with bad BBQ is better than no BBQ at all.  But that's just me.

twistitup

« Reply #21921 on: February 17, 2019, 01:04:28 pm »

You know I was born in Memphis and I guess have a different view on BBQ. 

Being born in Memphis, you probably have a different view on life...not just bbq ;)

I do agree...mediocre bbq is better than no bbq at all

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #21922 on: February 17, 2019, 01:40:18 pm »

WOW.

Lol, this ^^^^^^.  But when twistitup gets any chance at all to talk about food he's going to run with it.  Me, just give me and RC cola and a moon pie.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #21923 on: February 17, 2019, 01:44:05 pm »

How long has it been since you have been to NW Arkansas? The caves at Devil's Den shut down years ago due to the bat disease stuff and Mama Dean's bit the dust I'm thinking it was at least 2 years ago.

To OP or anyone coming here for first time from out of state I would recommend flying into XNA,...try to stay at Carnell hall so you don't have to worry about parking/driving to game. Experience our campus first hand not...Dickson st easy walking distance too. Good chance it's probably already booked up for football season though.

Next recommendation would be Chancellor to if Carnell is already booked. Be a little bit of a walk but it's doable. I know when I go to an away game venue I've never been to my whole life I want to avoid driving and parking in game traffic like the plague.

It's been coming up on 7 years...

I know they closed a lot of caves in NWA (I was part of the local grotto there) even putting gates across the that most people can't get through but bats still could. However, the icebox at the time was still open because so many people went into it that bats didn't really stay there.

Is Lucky Lukes still there??? It always felt like it was close to going out of business.

majestic

« Reply #21924 on: February 17, 2019, 01:51:56 pm »

I haven't tried Wright's and probably never will. $28 for a rack of ribs is insane. I have two racks on the smoker right now that I picked up at Richard's yesterday. Cost me $23 and I guarantee they will be as good or better than Wright's.

BTW.... I was surprised that Richard's uses pre-packaged ribs. Maybe everyone does. I just assumed a butcher shop would cut their own meat.

ricepig

« Reply #21925 on: February 17, 2019, 01:56:44 pm »

Agree 100%

Can't everyone be as good as the Diary King........

thebignasty

« Reply #21926 on: February 17, 2019, 01:58:05 pm »

I haven't tried Wright's and probably never will. $28 for a rack of ribs is insane. I have two racks on the smoker right now that I picked up at Richard's yesterday. Cost me $23 and I guarantee they will be as good or better than Wright's.

BTW.... I was surprised that Richard's uses pre-packaged ribs. Maybe everyone does. I just assumed a butcher shop would cut their own meat.
When Whole Hog is good the ribs are better than Wright's. Whole Hog has been up and down for a few years now, though.   Wright's has killer brisket, its better than anything you can get at the other local BBQ places, and better than I've ever managed  myself. It is overpriced for the portions you get, and the rest of the food there is just good, not great.

thebignasty

« Reply #21927 on: February 17, 2019, 01:58:40 pm »

It's been coming up on 7 years...

I know they closed a lot of caves in NWA (I was part of the local grotto there) even putting gates across the that most people can't get through but bats still could. However, the icebox at the time was still open because so many people went into it that bats didn't really stay there.

Is Lucky Lukes still there??? It always felt like it was close to going out of business.

Lucky Lukes is hanging around.   Not a bad place to grab lunch. Totally acceptable and reasonably priced bbq.

ricepig

« Reply #21928 on: February 17, 2019, 02:04:14 pm »

The pulled pork is just average, but the brisket is the best anywhere. Now, being a NEA native, I never considered BBQ beef to be BBQ, but it and the jalapeno sausage are worth the money. I've never left hungry, and I've paid a lot more for a meal elsewhere and left hungry, lol.

majestic

« Reply #21929 on: February 17, 2019, 03:57:42 pm »

Lucky Lukes is hanging around.   Not a bad place to grab lunch. Totally acceptable and reasonably priced bbq.
$2.49 per rib. Get real, Luke.

Dr. Leonard Ford

« Reply #21930 on: February 17, 2019, 04:06:39 pm »

What they pass for bbq at Penguin Ed's is a crime.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #21931 on: February 17, 2019, 04:10:10 pm »

I've noticed that the OP, SpartaRick1 has not posted again.  He or she is probably wondering what in the hell they got themselves into with all of these comments about food when they never even asked about food, especially BBQ.

twistitup

« Reply #21932 on: February 17, 2019, 04:20:41 pm »

I've noticed that the OP, SpartaRick1 has not posted again.  He or she is probably wondering what in the hell they got themselves into with all of these comments about food when they never even asked about food, especially BBQ.

I'm sorry for getting all side tracked...please forgive me SpartaR1. Heck, we haven't even gone over concessions with him yet...

Hou-Hog

« Reply #21933 on: February 17, 2019, 05:10:21 pm »

I guess Crystal Bridges proves that I'm an uncultured buffoon.  It is by all accounts a world class art museum.
By who’s account.  World class is a bit much.  The Louvre is world famous not Crystal Bridges.

tusksincolorado

• I will teach you Italian....the fun way.
« Reply #21935 on: February 17, 2019, 05:27:02 pm »

Well he will miss the people crapping on the sidewalks and watching people shoot up drugs.

I don't roll in those areas of SF or the Bay area when I visit....apparently you go to "The Tenderloin" when you visit. But San Jose is not what you just made it to be.

majestic

« Reply #21937 on: February 17, 2019, 05:34:34 pm »

What they pass for bbq at Penguin Ed's is a crime.
Flavor isn't bad, but the last rack I got there didn't have the membrane removed. It was like eating plastic.

texas tush hog

« Reply #21938 on: February 17, 2019, 06:06:00 pm »

I suggest flying into XNA.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21939 on: February 17, 2019, 10:37:29 pm »

Nope. That’s in San Francisco NOT in San Jose. Our son and his family live only a couple of miles from downtown San Jose in the Willow Glen area. San Jose has a completely different feel, vibe and attitude than San Francisco.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21940 on: February 17, 2019, 10:39:42 pm »

I don't roll in those areas of SF or the Bay area when I visit....apparently you go to "The Tenderloin" when you visit. But San Jose is not what you just made it to be.

Correct. San Jose and San Francisco are practically complete opposites.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21941 on: February 17, 2019, 10:43:54 pm »

By who’s account.  World class is a bit much.  The Louvre is world famous not Crystal Bridges.

The only museums that rival what the Louvre is would be the Smithsonian and it’s different. That doesn’t discount what Crystal Bridges is and as time passes will become. The word famous connotates well known by average people. I guarantee it is well known by other art museums, curators, collectors and artists. Due to location it may never approach some of the current world famous ones to the average person but I bet it is or will be considered world famous and world class by those in the art world. Over time it will be by average people.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:33:53 pm by Inhogswetrust »

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #21942 on: February 18, 2019, 08:19:50 am »

You might want to read the articles not just google search a title.  The New Yorker was written before it opened.  “I suspect it is going to be a substantial and fine collection of American art.”   World Famous.   Your right.

Well, if you're going to start highroading museums then I guess I get to do this.

*you're.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #21943 on: February 18, 2019, 08:20:48 am »

Th only museums that rival what the Louvre is would be the Smithsonian and it’s different. That doesn’t discount what Crystal Bridges is.

I wholeheartedly think Crystal Bridges should change their slogan to "It ain't no Louvre but it ain't bad!"

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #21945 on: February 18, 2019, 09:09:01 am »

Skip the hotels, camp. Way cheaper and way more fun. Lake Wedington is a fun little lake just outside of town with some amazing fireflies. If you looking for a bit more adventure and a slightly farther stay, about 40 min away you could camp at Devil's Den state park and go explore a cave that will keep you cool in the summer time.

Lucky Luke's BBQ is a great place to eat. Little hole in the wall place that has bbq as good or better than the other places w/o the crowds. Mama Dean's is very good too.
LOL...checking all that camping gear on the flight for you amd the family will cost you more than the hotel rooms.

Beny, Benny Benny.......Mama Deans has been closed for almost SIX years.  Taxes got her in 2010, then again in 2013.  FYI, Hoffbrau and Fuzzy's are closed too (early 2000's). 

https://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2013/09/04/restaurant-news-mama-deans-soul-food-kitchen-genos-pizza-closed/

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #21946 on: February 18, 2019, 09:16:21 am »

"Sauced" on Dickson isn't bad BBQ.  The sides are not great, but the sausage and brisket are pretty darn good.  And my wife loved the smoked turkey breast if you are into that sort of thing.

jusgtohogs

• Varsity
« Reply #21947 on: February 18, 2019, 09:24:19 am »

keep in mind that "...world class..." and "...world famous..." are not the same thing.  According to people who know about art museums and tourism, Crystal Bridges is "...a world class..." museum.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21948 on: February 18, 2019, 10:06:48 am »

I wholeheartedly think Crystal Bridges should change their slogan to "It ain't no Louvre but it ain't bad!"

Then every art museum in the world could say that. Also sometimes people forget art is perhaps the most subjective subject in the world.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #21949 on: February 18, 2019, 10:44:51 am »

Then every art museum in the world could say that. Also sometimes people forget art is perhaps the most subjective subject in the world.

Pages: 1 ... 436 437 438 [439] 440 441 442 ... 448   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas