• 10,783,808 Posts
• 421,029 Topics
• 24,732 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 437 [438] 439 440 441 ... 461   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 1209205 times)

Lud42

Re: Where to Eat
« Reply #21850 on: April 16, 2018, 09:26:50 am »

Barbeque: Sassy's (either on College or Wedington, but Wedington is closer to you). Sorry, WholeHog and Penguin Ed's, but the last several times through have been sub-par.

Burgers: Hugo's, Grub's, JJ's, Art's Place (don't be scared...). West Side Burgers in Springdale is pretty good, too.

Asian: Kobe or Shogun. Both Japanese steak houses and can be a little pricey for dinner, but not too bad for lunch. Not a huge fan of Chinese food, so can't really recommend one, but I hit up Mama Tang's in Springdale sometimes and they're okay.

Mexican: In Fayetteville: La Huerta or Mojitos are my go to, but if you come up to Springdale, take your pick. There are about eleventy-billion good Mexican or Salvadoran joints in Springdale where you can eat your fill and have a brew for almost nothing.

Pizza: US Pizza if you're on Dickson or Damn Good Pies if you're downtown.

Breakfast: Susan's in Springdale. There is no other place in NWA now that Common Grounds no longer exists and Rick's Iron Skillet hasn't been the same for years.

Other:
Hammon Tree- Fantastic gourmet grilled cheese and the sweet potato fries with the horseraddish dipping sauce is awesome.
Flying Burrito- Doesn't belong in the Mexican category, but I like them every now and then.
Foghorn's- Wings and burgers.

I'm sure I forgot a few, but just trying to keep it budget friendly. There are a lot more places if you head up to Bentonville/Rogers for any reason.

Bobby Bobo

« Reply #21851 on: April 16, 2018, 09:32:20 am »

They are indeed the shizzle. JalapeŮo and cheese. Pork and cheese. So many options. So much goodness!

my bad

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

CiriusPorker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It's not an "S".
    • flickR - My photography
« Reply #21852 on: April 16, 2018, 09:42:35 am »

mcdonalds definitely doesn't break the bank...

PorkRinds

« Reply #21853 on: April 16, 2018, 10:14:41 am »

my bad
Hey Iíll signal the virtues of papusas all day. Guilty as charged.

thebignasty

• This one goes to 11.
« Reply #21854 on: April 16, 2018, 10:17:19 am »

Highly doubtful. Taco Loco is the only place in fville I know of that sells actual authentic Mexican food.

Burrito Loco is authentic, and they were first.

Called themselves Columbiamex when they opened.  Originally, they were a hispanic grocer.  I think they still do the carniceria.  Been awhile since I've been. 

thebignasty

• This one goes to 11.
« Reply #21855 on: April 16, 2018, 10:18:37 am »

Pupusas are okay. 

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #21857 on: April 16, 2018, 12:02:46 pm »

Barbeque: Sassy's (either on College or Wedington, but Wedington is closer to you). Sorry, WholeHog and Penguin Ed's, but the last several times through have been sub-par.

Burgers: Hugo's, Grub's, JJ's, Art's Place (don't be scared...). West Side Burgers in Springdale is pretty good, too.

Asian: Kobe or Shogun. Both Japanese steak houses and can be a little pricey for dinner, but not too bad for lunch. Not a huge fan of Chinese food, so can't really recommend one, but I hit up Mama Tang's in Springdale sometimes and they're okay.

Mexican: In Fayetteville: La Huerta or Mojitos are my go to, but if you come up to Springdale, take your pick. There are about eleventy-billion good Mexican or Salvadoran joints in Springdale where you can eat your fill and have a brew for almost nothing.

Breakfast: Susan's in Springdale. There is no other place in NWA now that Common Grounds no longer exists and Rick's Iron Skillet hasn't been the same for years.

Other:
Hammon Tree- Fantastic gourmet grilled cheese and the sweet potato fries with the horseraddish dipping sauce is awesome.
Flying Burrito- Doesn't belong in the Mexican category, but I like them every now and then.

I'm sure I forgot a few, but just trying to keep it budget friendly. There are a lot more places if you head up to Bentonville/Rogers for any reason.

Good list but Guido's Pizza in Tontitown and Springdale is the place to go if you're a fan of lot's of topping on your pizza. 

pigz

• I am the liquor
« Reply #21858 on: April 16, 2018, 12:15:26 pm »

Southern Food Company

razorchick73

• Bench Warmer
  • raising my 4 boys right - to be Hog fans!
« Reply #21859 on: April 16, 2018, 01:43:51 pm »

Hugo's without a doubt

steveaustin69

« Reply #21860 on: April 16, 2018, 01:52:20 pm »

I have eaten breakfast once at a Cracker Barrel, at West Memphis, AR.  It was good breakfast food.

Cracker Barrel is one of the better places to get a good meal.  I have eaten at the following 13 Cracker Barrels.

Springdale, AR
Bentonville, AR
Alma, AR
Russellville, AR
Conway, AR
Little Rock, AR
Jonesboro, AR
West Memphis, AR
Memphis, TN
Branson, MO
Tulsa, OK
Shawnee, OK
Arlington, TX

The best one I have eaten at was the one in Branson, MO.  The 2nd best one was Springdale, AR (have eaten there a lot and it is always good).  The worst one has been Alma, AR.

The one in Conway has always been good (I have eaten at that one at least 3 times, maybe 4 times).  It has been the 3rd best one after Branson and Springdale.

thebignasty

• This one goes to 11.
« Reply #21861 on: April 16, 2018, 01:58:13 pm »

woodhog14

« Reply #21862 on: April 16, 2018, 02:05:34 pm »

Other:

Wright's BBQ is now the best BBQ in NWA. Blows Sassy's out of the water.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Damn glad to meet you
« Reply #21863 on: April 16, 2018, 02:07:47 pm »

Seconded. Was in NWA for a wedding recently and ate there, had no idea it existed. Good stuff.

Never really was a Sassy's fan to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:20:56 pm by RyanMallettsEgo »

jkstock04

« Reply #21864 on: April 16, 2018, 02:16:10 pm »

Is that the place in Johnson? I was there a couple of weeks ago...i was impressed overall with the quality and taste of their bbq. Iíve never had Texas style bbq before, Iím kind of a Memphis/KC style snob. It was actually pretty good though.

I wonít go back though mainly because I feel itís too small amount of food for the price. Edís and whole Hog you get much better bang for your buck. Plus the line in and out of there, where to park, even where to sit is an absolute ordeal. Glad I tried it once but I wonít be back. They are killing it though, no doubt whatever they are doing is working well. I always enjoy seeing local businesses succeed and do well.

jkstock04

« Reply #21865 on: April 16, 2018, 02:19:40 pm »

Burrito Loco is authentic, and they were first.

Called themselves Columbiamex when they opened.  Originally, they were a hispanic grocer.  I think they still do the carniceria.  Been awhile since I've been. 
I honestly donít think Iíve heard of it. In fville? I avoid Springdale like the plague.

woodhog14

« Reply #21866 on: April 16, 2018, 02:38:59 pm »

Never really was a Sassy's fan to begin with.
Me either. Vastly overrated. Great patio to sit on and have a few cold ones though!

pigz

• I am the liquor
« Reply #21867 on: April 16, 2018, 02:55:36 pm »

I honestly donít think Iíve heard of it. In fville? I avoid Springdale like the plague.
If its the one I'm thinking of, its behind the cowboy off of 6th street. It's legit.

You're missing some of the good ones in Springdale like La Sirenita and Don Pedro's

woodhog14

Re: Where to eat
« Reply #21868 on: April 16, 2018, 02:58:00 pm »

Hmm.....to me, BBQ has always been pork, it's not that beef can't be good, it's just that it usually wasn't.

They have pork too. I grew up in Germantown, so my standard and favorite is The Germantown Commissary. Needless to say...I love pork BBQ and never really tried anything else until Wright's came along. Holy moly that brisket will melt in your mouth.

The best bet IMHO is to order the Texas Trinity. You get to pick two meats (brisket, pork, smoked chicken, sausage with cheese and jalapenos) and it comes with 2 pork ribs. You also get to pick two sides. Everything is made fresh that day.

They have their own "bakery" as well. They make pies, cakes and cookies fresh each day and all are awesome. On Saturday morning they make huge homemade cinnamon rolls.

It's good stuff rice, you won't be disappointed.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #21869 on: April 16, 2018, 03:40:32 pm »

Lucy's in Rogers if you want food poisoning

Have ate there many times. No problems yet.

jkstock04

« Reply #21870 on: April 16, 2018, 03:58:44 pm »

If its the one I'm thinking of, its behind the cowboy off of 6th street. It's legit.

You're missing some of the good ones in Springdale like La Sirenita and Don Pedro's
There is no doubt about that...Springdale has all the legit Mexican/Salvadorian restaurants. Fville basically has none other than taco loco and whatever food stand you may find. And I guess this burrito loco. I mainly just donít like dealing with all the traffic north of Fayetteville.  Iíll have to check out burrito loco. I do like the authentic stuff.

ricepig

« Reply #21871 on: April 16, 2018, 04:00:35 pm »

They have pork too. I grew up in Germantown, so my standard and favorite is The Germantown Commissary. Needless to say...I love pork BBQ and never really tried anything else until Wright's came along. Holy moly that brisket will melt in your mouth.

The best bet IMHO is to order the Texas Trinity. You get to pick two meats (brisket, pork, smoked chicken, sausage with cheese and jalapenos) and it comes with 2 pork ribs. You also get to pick two sides. Everything is made fresh that day.

They have their own "bakery" as well. They make pies, cakes and cookies fresh each day and all are awesome. On Saturday morning they make huge homemade cinnamon rolls.

Ok, sounds good. I usually pick Central over GC, but both are good.

PigWig

« Reply #21872 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11:02 pm »

Hmm.....to me, BBQ has always been pork, it's not that beef can't be good, it's just that it usually wasn't.
I spent my grad school years in Kansas City, so BBQ to me has always been burnt ends, ribs, and pork.  With that being said, you have to try the brisket at Wrights.  They have a meal called the Trinity that is a nice sampler, but don't leave that place without at least trying their brisket.  It may be the best beef BBQ I've ever had. 

PigWig

« Reply #21873 on: April 16, 2018, 04:11:41 pm »

Nailed it.

DZ

« Reply #21874 on: April 16, 2018, 05:40:20 pm »

Nailed it.
I've been to 8-9 of the Texas Monthly upper top 50 bbq joints and it is every bit right there with some of those places as far as style, flavor etc. Franklins, La Barbecue, Blacks for example.  I'm not saying its knocking any of those places down the list but you won't find anything else closer to it without going to Austin / south Texas for yourself. Its nothing like the places here like Sassys, Whole Hog, or Penguin Ed's, its the next level.

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #21875 on: April 17, 2018, 02:58:00 pm »

Just left Wrightís on recommendations from this thread.  Got the brisket, ribs, and sausage plate.  Ribs were good, sausage was very tasty, but the brisket was the best Iíve had in Arkansas!  I would recommend the regular brisket vs the moist, which was almost too rich to eat!

Next trip Iíll get the 2 meat plate with brisket and sausage.  Thanks to all for the info!

trippigs

« Reply #21876 on: April 17, 2018, 03:59:58 pm »

Headed back to Fayetteville for the Alabama series and will make a point to try Wrightís. Pork prevails but beef brisket is right there if it is done well. Used to have it almost weekly at the Tulsa Petroleum Club back in the early 1980ís. NWA has never been a BBQ mecca which has always puzzled me. Maybe things have changed for the better. Go hogs

stan the man

« Reply #21877 on: April 20, 2018, 09:07:44 pm »

Cotton patch restaurant.  New to Springdale.  Not a bad choice at reasonable prices Hwy 412 next to Loweís

Arazorbackguy1

« Reply #21878 on: April 21, 2018, 02:23:40 pm »

There should be a stickied thread in all forums on where to eat, drink, and sleep in NW Arkansas

jvanhorn

« Reply #21879 on: April 21, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »

I myself prefer Mama Zs and the Venesian Inn in Tontitown.  Rons Hamburgers and Chili and Dinks BBQUE in Bentonville.  There is also a Slim Chickens on Eddington.  There is the Pavilion Chinese Buffett and a Whataburger on Martin Luther King Drive.  A Steak and Shake down around the Northwest Arkansas Mall.  None of these will bust your wallet and are very good to good places to eat.

haveabeer

« Reply #21880 on: April 21, 2018, 05:19:07 pm »

Drinks in Bentonville has closed unfortunately

haveabeer

« Reply #21881 on: April 21, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »

Meant Dinks dang spellcheck

ricepig

« Reply #21882 on: April 24, 2018, 12:54:49 pm »

I spent my grad school years in Kansas City, so BBQ to me has always been burnt ends, ribs, and pork.  With that being said, you have to try the brisket at Wrights.  They have a meal called the Trinity that is a nice sampler, but don't leave that place without at least trying their brisket.  It may be the best beef BBQ I've ever had. 

Just got through eating at Wright's, the brisket is worth the trip, basically melts in your mouth. The pulled pork was good, but wasn't the best I've ever had. I was there at 11 when they opened and was about 10th in line, about 50 in line when I left and cars steady pulling in.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:54:30 pm by ricepig »

EconHawg

« Reply #21883 on: April 24, 2018, 01:32:34 pm »

We should get an EI discount at Wrights, what with all the free advertising they're getting here. They will outgrow that little shack they're in pretty soon as good as the food is. Its always packed.

PigWig

« Reply #21884 on: April 24, 2018, 02:15:49 pm »

Just got through eating at Wright's, the brisket is worth the trip, basically melts in your mouth. The pulled pork was good, but wasn't the best I've ever had. I was there at 11 when they opened and was about 10th in line, about 50 in line when I left and cars steady pulling in.
Glad you got to try it.  That brisket almost reminds me of prime rib in tenderness/juiciness. 

woodhog14

« Reply #21885 on: April 24, 2018, 07:58:19 pm »

Glad you enjoyed it ricepig. I haven't tried the pork yet because I can't get past the brisket and sausage.  :)

ricepig

« Reply #21886 on: April 24, 2018, 09:43:18 pm »

Glad you enjoyed it ricepig. I haven't tried the pork yet because I can't get past the brisket and sausage.  :)
I may try the sausage next time to go along with the brisket, definitely worth a trip to Johnson.

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #21887 on: April 24, 2018, 10:58:08 pm »

Thatís exactly what I had there today!

jvanhorn

« Reply #21888 on: April 25, 2018, 11:23:58 pm »

Meant Dinks dang spellcheck

Can't tell you how sorry I am to  hear that.

WBOBO

« Reply #21889 on: April 25, 2018, 11:58:23 pm »

I guess you can't personal message anyone any longer?

trippigs

« Reply #21890 on: April 28, 2018, 05:18:32 pm »

Got to Fayetteville for the Alabama game and kept on going straight to Wrightís BBQ.....gotta say the brisket is wonderful with its dark flavorful bark. Had a taste  of 4 sides and all were well above average. The some room to improve the ribs and sausage but they were serviceable. However, as advertised the brisket is pretty amazing. The place was packed with about 20 in line at 1:30....always a good sign for good food. Go ahogs

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • New Hog OT working on how to cross body block
« Reply #21891 on: April 29, 2018, 08:59:50 am »

The Venesian Inn at Tonitown....nothing like pasta with a steak that literally hangs over the edge of your plate. I suggest you be hungry if you decide to eat here, however.

WorfHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • neH wa' Qap
« Reply #21892 on: April 30, 2018, 09:29:57 am »

Got to Fayetteville for the Alabama game and kept on going straight to Wrightís BBQ.....gotta say the brisket is wonderful with its dark flavorful bark. Had a taste  of 4 sides and all were well above average. The some room to improve the ribs and sausage but they were serviceable. However, as advertised the brisket is pretty amazing. The place was packed with about 20 in line at 1:30....always a good sign for good food. Go ahogs

You just missed me then. We were there from 12:20-1:20 Saturday. I can confirm that it was good!

trippigs

« Reply #21893 on: April 30, 2018, 12:18:23 pm »

You just missed me then. We were there from 12:20-1:20 Saturday. I can confirm that it was good!

Cool. One of the staff said a number of ball players ate there... mentioned Blaine Knight

Rudy Baylor

• Naked STP Girl loves Sam Pittman

That's when football season officially begins - when Harps and Walgreen and Neighborhood Market have Athlons and Lindeys and those others magazines

For people like ricepig who live in places without real stores, I don't know when it begins for them

Tejano Jawg

Good pointÖwhen the magazines see the light. That was always an exciting feeling, especially when we were good enough to actually make a cover. This year you'll find anything written about the Hogs on page 94.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

They still make magazines?

PossumFan

I've got a box full of those things dating back to the '60s, my favorites being Dave Campbell's Arkansas Football. It's fun to look back at them from time to time and reminisce about the good ol' days, when offensive tackles were about the size of today's outside linebackers. Once the Internet makes mags obsolete, it just won't be the same.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis

Nothing like a nice cold beer or two, a plate of fried catfish with ample fries, hush puppies, and cole slaw and a stack of various preseason football magazines. However, I am not sure thereís a store in Arkansas where one could acquire the beer, good catfish, good fixins, and magazines in one stop. I am very much against any Walgreens catfish.

Discuss.

thebignasty

• This one goes to 11.

Nothing like a nice cold beer or two, a plate of fried catfish with ample fries, hush puppies, and cole slaw and a stack of various preseason football magazines. However, I am not sure thereís a store in Arkansas where one could acquire the beer, good catfish, good fixins, and magazines in one stop. I am very much against any Walgreens catfish.

Discuss.

I don't trust harps enough to let them give me catfish, but harps has a fine grocery store chicken tender and you can get the football magazine for under $30 bucks
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 437 [438] 439 440 441 ... 461   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas