• 10,398,838 Posts
• 411,027 Topics
• 23,491 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 437 [438] 439 440 441 ... 448   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Trips: 3 Hots and a Cot  (Read 1139576 times)

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
Re: LSU Fan Here, first trip to Bud Walton and Fayetteville
« Reply #21850 on: January 12, 2019, 11:01:42 pm »

How much did those three studs cost? 

TigerHog93

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #21851 on: January 12, 2019, 11:12:15 pm »

Haha I donít know, but it wouldnít shock me if they get put on probation before Wadeís done.

Although our recruiting class next season is trash

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Breems

« Reply #21852 on: January 12, 2019, 11:28:04 pm »

YOU AIN'T NOTHIN' WITHOUT WATERS

TNhawgfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #21853 on: January 13, 2019, 07:36:34 am »

Agree with most everything you said tigerhog, except the Mike is a good recruiter part. I don't consider a coach whose class averages in the 40s a good recruiter

Pigcrazy

« Reply #21854 on: January 13, 2019, 08:07:36 am »

Sorry, you lost st me with ďCan recruit wellĒ. 

Letsroll1200

« Reply #21855 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:12 am »

We need to get Mike Anderson on the phone telling a shady character in the FBI probe that we can get the kid whatever he wants. The last two home game we got nothing from the guards outside of Jones.

McKdaddy

« Reply #21856 on: January 13, 2019, 08:43:59 am »

Thanks for the kind words. We have a lot of disgruntled and unreasonable fans.

Good luck the rest of the way.

We also have some reasonable fans that believe the common denominator has run its course. I was a big fan and proponent of the hire early-on. Heís improved the program over the 2 clowns before him. But his ceiling we have seen or are very close to it.

hobhog

« Reply #21857 on: January 13, 2019, 09:50:10 am »

Opposing fans are always so nice these days. Wonder why....

Smithian

« Reply #21858 on: January 13, 2019, 09:58:55 am »

Opposing fans are always so nice these days. Wonder why....
Because being a civilized human being is a good thing?

JenksHawg

• Varsity
« Reply #21859 on: January 13, 2019, 10:12:18 am »

How much did those three studs cost?

Ridiculous - we get beat at home by an average team with a young coach and itís because we donít ďcheatĒ. Or last game was offficating. Blame anything but reality.

Smithian

« Reply #21860 on: January 13, 2019, 10:21:16 am »

Just want to say Iím jealous of your Basketball program. Bud Walton is an amazing arena and it really puts our PMAC to shame. It wasnít sold out tonight, but it got very loud during the comeback run. I really wish our fans had 1/2 the passion for basketball that you all have. We have our best team since the 2006 final 4 run and we canít get more than 200 students in the seats. Also our fans over on Tiger Droppings rather talk Baseball than basketball.

Gafford played his tail off tonight and is a special player. Last thing Iíll leave you all with, is that yaíll need to dump Anderson. I said last year on here I wasnít a fan of him. He doesnít really have any structure to his offense and counts on Athleticism a little too much. Reminds me a lot of Johnny Jones. Can recruit well, but canít make adjustments or run a structured offense.
Thank you for sharing this post.

As frustrated as I am by Razorback basketball, we have some things to be proud of Fayetteville. We have an incredible arena, a great new basketball facility just across the street, and a fan base that is shockingly resilient this millennium. A lot of programs with vastly better on court success the past 15-20 years would trad their off court situations with the Razorbacks in a heart beat.

A good reminder for Razorback basketball fans that while we aren't where want to be on the court, the infrastructure is still there for a top notch program.

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #21861 on: January 13, 2019, 10:52:52 am »

As frustrated as I am by Razorback basketball, we have some things to be proud of Fayetteville. We have an incredible arena, a great new basketball facility just across the street, and a fan base that is shockingly resilient this millennium. A lot of programs with vastly better on court success the past 15-20 years would trad their off court situations with the Razorbacks in a heart beat.

A good reminder for Razorback basketball fans that while we aren't where want to be on the court, the infrastructure is still there for a top notch program.

Yep, have almost everything we need.....

Hogmatic

« Reply #21862 on: January 13, 2019, 10:53:12 am »

The right scheme and coach will return us to a much better level.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #21863 on: January 13, 2019, 11:34:41 am »

Nolan told us he was the reason our program rose to the level it did. A bunch of our fans got mad about that.

There hasn't been anything going on here to prove otherwise.

Smithian

« Reply #21864 on: January 13, 2019, 12:13:48 pm »

Nolan told us he was the reason our program rose to the level it did. A bunch of our fans got mad about that.

There hasn't been anything going on here to prove otherwise.
I am not going to get into a pissing match about Nolan, but that is completely untrue. The arena was built before he won a National Championship. There are more than a few coaches out there who have had runs of successes at their school, begged for facility improvements, and were basically told to pound sand.

Richardson helped build this program, but he also benefitted from an administration and fanbase wanting to build a power. It was a two way street.

texas tush hog

« Reply #21865 on: January 13, 2019, 05:55:59 pm »

I am not going to get into a pissing match about Nolan, but that is completely untrue. The arena was built before he won a National Championship. There are more than a few coaches out there who have had runs of successes at their school, begged for facility improvements, and were basically told to pound sand.

Richardson helped build this program, but he also benefitted from an administration and fanbase wanting to build a power. It was a two way street.

Bud Walton was built in Nolan's ninth year, thank you very much, and Bud Walton paid half of it out of his own pocket in no small part , due to his love for Nolan and the team.

hobhog

« Reply #21866 on: January 13, 2019, 06:02:21 pm »

Because being a civilized human being is a good thing?

Maybe. But They don't seem to post after thier team loses.......

RedRock

« Reply #21867 on: January 14, 2019, 10:09:44 pm »

Just want to say Iím jealous of your Basketball program. Bud Walton is an amazing arena and it really puts our PMAC to shame. It wasnít sold out tonight, but it got very loud during the comeback run. I really wish our fans had 1/2 the passion for basketball that you all have. We have our best team since the 2006 final 4 run and we canít get more than 200 students in the seats. Also our fans over on Tiger Droppings rather talk Baseball than basketball.

Gafford played his tail off tonight and is a special player. Last thing Iíll leave you all with, is that yaíll need to dump Anderson. I said last year on here I wasnít a fan of him. He doesnít really have any structure to his offense and counts on Athleticism a little too much. Reminds me a lot of Johnny Jones. Can recruit well, but canít make adjustments or run a structured offense.

Wished you could have experienced a hog game in 1994.  It was an unbelievable sports experience.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #21868 on: January 15, 2019, 12:35:37 am »

YOU AIN'T NOTHIN' WITHOUT WATERS

This...that dude has beat us almost single handedly three games in a row.  He's our kryptonite, because even if we had a guard that could stay in front of him for .2s, they would just screen on the perimeter until we get caught with Gafford on him at the 3 point line.  Honestly...watching us play them is like watching Ned and the First Reader try to play defense.  You can see it coming a mile away, but somehow...the guy in charge of adjusting to stop it, can't see it.   ::)   After about the 3rd or 4th time he's out there with a forward or post player, and he goes by then like their shoes are glued to the court....don't you have to try something different?  I REALLY want to believe in MA.  But time and time again, we see other teams use Jr. high strategies to beat us.   

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #21869 on: January 15, 2019, 12:42:19 am »

Wished you could have experienced a hog game in 1994.  It was an unbelievable sports experience.
  True...but 90 and 91 were pretty amazing too, and I would argue that those teams were possibly better with Day, Mayberry, and Oliver Miller.  There was just stiffer competition in those seasons.  No way we were beating UNLV, and they WRECKED Duke in that final.  Just an opinion... 

LAHogfan123

« Reply #21870 on: January 15, 2019, 08:04:54 am »

Thanks for the kind words, it's nice to see that outsiders can easily see one of our biggest problems with our basketball program.  Many fans on here relished the hiring of Mike Anderson and even vehemently fight his battles against all naysayers to this day.  He was a bad choice then, and as I stated before the hire was made, Anderson will be here until he gets ready to retire, when signed him to a lifelong contract when we hired him, now we're reaping the benefits of doing so.

By the way, you say Anderson is a good recruiter, since when?  That has somehow went by unnoticed by me then, I consider at the very least top 15 classes to be in the realm of good, and that needs to be consistent, so when has that happened with Mike?

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #21871 on: January 15, 2019, 09:39:35 am »

Structured offense lol.  We had one of the best offenses in the nation last year with the same system.  You have it just the opposite.  Recruiting has hurt us this year no shooters and losing in state kid to Kansas.  It's funny you go to one game and say the offensive system sucks and we score 88 though. 

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #21872 on: January 15, 2019, 12:06:48 pm »

Structured offense lol.  We had one of the best offenses in the nation last year with the same system.  You have it just the opposite.  Recruiting has hurt us this year no shooters and losing in state kid to Kansas.  It's funny you go to one game and say the offensive system sucks and we score 88 though.

The offense is no different in principal than what KY or Duke runs.  It's our defense that puzzles me.  We switch on every screen, even when it's not working.  Maybe try not switching....or play a match up zone if they're penetrating at will?  I just wish we would try some different approaches when things aren't working. 

Don't get me started on free throws.  It's SO BAD right now, I think as a coach, I would FORCE them to all shoot them Pistol Pete underhanded style.  I'm dead serious.  I don't see how it could be any worse.  I've never seen anything like it.  They're FREE throws, but they're costing us...wins! 

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #21873 on: January 15, 2019, 12:46:53 pm »

The offense is no different in principal than what KY or Duke runs.  It's our defense that puzzles me.  We switch on every screen, even when it's not working.  Maybe try not switching....or play a match up zone if they're penetrating at will?  I just wish we would try some different approaches when things aren't working. 

Don't get me started on free throws.  It's SO BAD right now, I think as a coach, I would FORCE them to all shoot them Pistol Pete underhanded style.  I'm dead serious.  I don't see how it could be any worse.  I've never seen anything like it.  They're FREE throws, but they're costing us...wins!
Wait Pistol Pete shot underhanded?  Nah.  The free throws are not surprising.  When you recruit largely non shooters your FT% probably isn't gonna be good. 

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #21874 on: January 15, 2019, 12:49:50 pm »

Wait Pistol Pete shot underhanded?  Nah.  The free throws are not surprising.  When you recruit largely non shooters your FT% probably isn't gonna be good.
He was Barry close though, Rick.

BigHog396

« Reply #21875 on: January 15, 2019, 07:45:58 pm »

Bud Walton was built in Nolan's ninth year, thank you very much, and Bud Walton paid half of it out of his own pocket in no small part , due to his love for Nolan and the team.
Bud Walton was OPENED at the start of Nolan's 9th year, which was the National Championship year, which by definition means it was built before the National Championship.

Not sure why you are trying to act like Smithian wasn't exactly right in what was said, both about when BWA was built, and the conditions of the program at the time.  The program and fan base were already here, and Nolan simply took it to another level with the foundation that was already built.  You were wrong in your statement that BWA was built in Nolan's 9th year, when in fact construction was actually started during Nolan's 7th year, and plans were probably started during his 6th year.

urkillnmesmalls

« Reply #21876 on: January 15, 2019, 10:11:04 pm »

;D  I failed so badly on that one, it's not even funny.  Oh wait...yes it is.   8)

SpartaRick1

• Walk-On
Best way to Fayetteville
« Reply #21877 on: February 16, 2019, 07:07:29 pm »

Hello:

This is a Spartan fan from San Jose.  I'll be coming to Fayetteville to watch the Spartans play the Razorbacks.  Any advice on where to fly in?  Transport to games?  Hotels and places in which to stay?  Appreciate all of your help.  Thanks.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
Re: Best way to Fayetteville
« Reply #21878 on: February 16, 2019, 07:34:34 pm »

Fly into Northwest Arkansas Regional or if you donít mind a short drive Tulsa. Southwest flies into Tulsa from SJ.

ICEman

« Reply #21879 on: February 16, 2019, 07:38:47 pm »

Fly direct from SFO to XNA on United.

ricepig

« Reply #21880 on: February 16, 2019, 07:42:53 pm »

Book your motel early, Fayetteville sells out early, but there will be rooms from Bentonville to Springdale available. You'll either need to rent a car, or get an Uber if you stay north of Fayetteville, 10-20 miles from the stadium.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #21881 on: February 16, 2019, 07:58:54 pm »

Skip the hotels, camp. Way cheaper and way more fun. Lake Wedington is a fun little lake just outside of town with some amazing fireflies. If you looking for a bit more adventure and a slightly farther stay, about 40 min away you could camp at Devil's Den state park and go explore a cave that will keep you cool in the summer time.

Lucky Luke's BBQ is a great place to eat. Little hole in the wall place that has bbq as good or better than the other places w/o the crowds. Mama Dean's is very good too.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #21882 on: February 16, 2019, 08:22:19 pm »

Skip the hotels, camp. Way cheaper and way more fun. Lake Wedington is a fun little lake just outside of town with some amazing fireflies. If you looking for a bit more adventure and a slightly farther stay, about 40 min away you could camp at Devil's Den state park and go explore a cave that will keep you cool in the summer time.

Lucky Luke's BBQ is a great place to eat. Little hole in the wall place that has bbq as good or better than the other places w/o the crowds. Mama Dean's is very good too.
Mama Dean's has been closed for a few years.  Its a taco place now.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #21883 on: February 16, 2019, 08:29:05 pm »

Looks like you can grab an airbnb or VRBO on or near Dickson St for around 80 bucks a night the weekend around the game.  I'd suggest that. Dickson St is the nightlife scene in town, and its within fairly easy walking distance of the stadium. Nothing special on the hotel scene, The Chancellor is the only one 'downtown' and I'd avoid it, though its under new management again, so it might finally be getting a little better.

Ask for Twist for food concerns.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #21884 on: February 16, 2019, 08:56:14 pm »

According to old hog coach Lou Holtz, you won't be at the end of the earth but you will be able to see it from here.

Be sure to look up crystal bridges museum in Bentonville, pretty cool

twistitup

« Reply #21885 on: February 16, 2019, 09:05:18 pm »

XNA is the airport. Use Uber or a similar service from airport to Fville.

Stay at The Chancellor if you want to party on Dickson St and want to walk, not ride...many more hotels are available, but not many within walking distance of Dickson. The Inn at Carnall Hall is an on campus, small boutique hotel also close by.

http://www.hotelchancellor.com/

If you like good Q...here's the best NWA has to offer...

Wrights BBQ (it's in Johnson, a few minutes from Fayetteville)

http://wrightsbarbecue.com/

There is also lots of good food close to Dickson St and downtown....walking distance if you were staying down there.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:17:05 pm by twistitup »

jkstock04

« Reply #21886 on: February 16, 2019, 09:41:55 pm »

How long has it been since you have been to NW Arkansas? The caves at Devil's Den shut down years ago due to the bat disease stuff and Mama Dean's bit the dust I'm thinking it was at least 2 years ago.

To OP or anyone coming here for first time from out of state I would recommend flying into XNA,...try to stay at Carnell hall so you don't have to worry about parking/driving to game. Experience our campus first hand not...Dickson st easy walking distance too. Good chance it's probably already booked up for football season though.

Next recommendation would be Chancellor to if Carnell is already booked. Be a little bit of a walk but it's doable. I know when I go to an away game venue I've never been to my whole life I want to avoid driving and parking in game traffic like the plague.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #21887 on: February 16, 2019, 09:55:56 pm »

If you're looking to save some $$$, shop the airline ticket and look at Tulsa. It's an easy drive and can be a lot cheaper depending on timing. Already good advice on lodging close to or on campus.

Lots of food options depending on mood.

Keeping it a local flavor. Just some suggestions since everyone has the national chains.

Mama Z's for Italian - Tontitown
Catfish Hole for extraordinary hushpuppies - Fayetteville
AQ Chicken House for a vein clogging experience of fried food - Springdale
Susans for breakfast - Springdale

Dr. Leonard Ford

« Reply #21888 on: February 16, 2019, 11:03:47 pm »

XNA is the airport. Use Uber or a similar service from airport to Fville.

Stay at The Chancellor if you want to party on Dickson St and want to walk, not ride...many more hotels are available, but not many within walking distance of Dickson. The Inn at Carnall Hall is an on campus, small boutique hotel also close by.

http://www.hotelchancellor.com/

If you like good Q...here's the best NWA has to offer...

Wrights BBQ (it's in Johnson, a few minutes from Fayetteville)

http://wrightsbarbecue.com/

There is also lots of good food close to Dickson St and downtown....walking distance if you were staying down there.

There is no good "Q" in NWA.  You must be a Yankee carpet bagger.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #21889 on: February 16, 2019, 11:35:13 pm »

According to old hog coach Lou Holtz, you won't be at the end of the earth but you will be able to see it from here.

Be sure to look up crystal bridges museum in Bentonville, pretty cool

I'll speak for Crystal Bridges Museum, I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but it was definitely amazing and well worth the trip.  You'll see artwork there that rivals what you see in New York.

LAHogfan123

« Reply #21890 on: February 16, 2019, 11:36:24 pm »

Lol, so very true.  No BBQ anywhere in NWA worth a damn.
Also, there is no catfish places to eat at either, but the catfish hole does have good hush puppies, catfish is only edible at best.

Tejano Jawg

• Ram Jam!
« Reply #21891 on: February 17, 2019, 01:03:56 am »

Go to the Winchester House, then transport yourself to northwest Arkansas on a phantom palomino.

Welcome to Hogville, SpartaRick1. Where sometimes, the smart-ass answer is all you get.  :D

Hog are ya

« Reply #21892 on: February 17, 2019, 01:11:14 am »

I'll speak for Crystal Bridges Museum, I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but it was definitely amazing and well worth the trip.  You'll see artwork there that rivals what you see in New York.

I agree!  I FINALLY was able to go there this last Christmas Holiday when I was back "home".

I've been to the Tate Modern in London, The National Museum of Australia, MOMA, The Metro etc NYC..   LACMA, The Getty in LA,   and others I don't remember the name in San Fran, Chicago, Dallas, etc...  (Yeah, I've been with the same gal for 20yrs and she likes to go to museums)!

And in my book,  Crystal Bridges takes a backseat to no one and was my favorite!!  Yes, prolly a little bit of bias since Ark is my original home, but I would STRONGLY recommend if you care the least about this type thing....

twistitup

« Reply #21893 on: February 17, 2019, 03:56:41 am »

Lol.... yeah, the guy who knows everything. Surprise! You must have married your cousin...no, her "BBQ" is not the best.

They are coming to NWA for a game and I let them know the best bbq in the area - Memphis or KC is not an option for them (and they will feel safer eating their Q in NWA - nothing like going to Memphis and risking your life for a good smoked meats)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:28:04 am by twistitup »

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #21894 on: February 17, 2019, 06:01:06 am »

You havenít been to Wrightís have you? Itís pretty good. But NWA is sorely lacking in really good BBQ and catfish.

oldhog63

« Reply #21895 on: February 17, 2019, 06:59:35 am »

You havenít been to Wrightís have you? Itís pretty good. But NWA is sorely lacking in really good BBQ and catfish.

Maybe I was spoiled before moving to NWA, but over cooked and muddy tasting scraps, flaps, and tail meat is not good catfish. There is lots of good food in NWA, but catfish is not one of them. At least I havenít found a good catfish place yet.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #21896 on: February 17, 2019, 07:01:03 am »

Maybe I was spoiled before moving to NWA, but over cooked and muddy tasting scraps, flaps, and tail meat is not good catfish. There is lots of good food in NWA, but catfish is not one of them. At least I havenít found a good catfish place yet.

Agree 100%

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #21897 on: February 17, 2019, 07:26:22 am »

90% of restaurants all over the country get there catfish and all other food from one of the same three food service distributors. About the only differences is whether they buy US grown catfish or foreign and the seasoning and the oil they cook it in.
The BBQ difference is what style and waht meat and how is it cooked, smoked, etc. and the sauce.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #21898 on: February 17, 2019, 07:31:14 am »

Lol.... yeah, the guy who knows everything. Surprise! You must have married your cousin...no, her "BBQ" is not the best.

They are coming to NWA for a game and I let them know the best bbq in the area - Memphis or KC is not an option for them (and they will feel safer eating their Q in NWA - nothing like going to Memphis and risking your life for a good smoked meats)

Living in the Memphis area I can say there are quite a few places one doesnít have to risk their life to get good Q.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #21899 on: February 17, 2019, 07:32:46 am »

Maybe I was spoiled before moving to NWA, but over cooked and muddy tasting scraps, flaps, and tail meat is not good catfish. There is lots of good food in NWA, but catfish is not one of them. At least I haven’t found a good catfish place yet.

I agree too. It's funny. Catfish Hole has amazing hushpuppies and the chicken is good too. However, the fish is bleh.
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 437 [438] 439 440 441 ... 448   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas