• 10,311,536 Posts
• 408,462 Topics
• 23,339 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: GAME THREAD 40: #9 Arkansas (29-10, 11-6 SEC) vs #2 Miss State (32-8, 10-7 SEC)  (Read 9058 times)

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!

Rule of thumb:  When you're up 10-0 in the ninth inning at home, chillax.

Tick Hog

Our main problem in games has been when bad play or pitching becomes contagious. Walking batters with a 10 run lead should not happen. We had no walks in 8 innings, then 3 in one. Obviously DVH didn't let Kosty keep going when he had early trouble. Vermillion didn't exactly instill a good feeling with his first two batters. Although two batters might have seemed premature, DVH must have shared my concern as he got Cronin up and working in the bullpen after those two batters. by the way, I deleted only one post today and it was name calling of another poster. I understand reasonable frustration during a game. I thought we had a great fanbase today.
I totally agreed with exactly what you said about Zeb. However I just noticed that no one said anything to you about it. Either way this is hands down the best sport forum that I’ve ever been on. You PBP guys do such a wonderful job and that takes time and effort. There have been plenty of times that I haven’t been able to listen or Watch and can start from page one and read throughout as I’m sure others do.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Supermark101

• Hogvillian
  • We all need a little Love

WPS. Wish we had taken game one from Vandy. Be sitting alone.

We're a blown lead against USC, a freshman meltdown vs Texas, and a timely hit against Auburn and Vandy from being 34-6, running away with the SEC, and being the #1 team in the country.

It's baseball, don't get lost in what ifs.

snoblind

Our main problem in games has been when bad play or pitching becomes contagious. Walking batters with a 10 run lead should not happen. We had no walks in 8 innings, then 3 in one. Obviously DVH didn't let Kosty keep going when he had early trouble. Vermillion didn't exactly instill a good feeling with his first two batters. Although two batters might have seemed premature, DVH must have shared my concern as he got Cronin up and working in the bullpen after those two batters. by the way, I deleted only one post today and it was name calling of another poster. I understand reasonable frustration during a game. I thought we had a great fanbase today.

Just to verify.  It is still OK to call Ponderin names, correct? 

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2

lol I’m going to assume you’re talking about my post. This is in fact the best forum on the site however there’s also a double standard. Meaning that some can say basically the same thing and it doesn’t matter. Also I’m going to assume that lots of people like me have a life and don’t get to sit behind a computer screen for the duration of a ball game. How is me saying that throwing 97 MPH doesn’t matter when you walk people any different than Jhicks saying get Zeb out of there after 2 batters. There’s no difference. Truth is we do have problems with walks other than about 4 guys and no I didn’t just happen to show up here today I’m a game thread to say that. Before people think it’s cool to start pointing fingers and think no one will say anything back to them they need to check the entire post history. I praised just as much as I said anything about the walks. The last I knew this was a free site which everyone was encouraged to root / cheer / have concerns about the team we love. Very clicky place

This forum polices itself for the most part, I think I’ve removed 3-4 post over the entire year. What you said wasn’t against the rules but was very negative and it came from someone that doesn’t participate here much. Yeah JHicks had a moment but he has more than earned his slack. All of us (well most) have slipped a time or two, it happens. It felt like you jumped in just to gripe so some jumped on you. I hope you stick around and continue to post.

hoglady

In this series we looked more complete than we have all year.
Hopefully - we can keep it going.
We should be entering the 2nd half of SEC play brimming with confidence.

oldhawg

Arkansas pitchers have given up 77 bases on balls, more than any other team in the SEC.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2019/lgteams.htm

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.

Arkansas pitchers have given up 77 bases on balls, more than any other team in the SEC.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2019/lgteams.htm

Looks like Kentucky is worse?

Walks allowed
-------------
1. Tennessee...........   46
   Texas A&M...........   46
3. Missouri............   52
4. LSU.................   55
5. Georgia.............   57
   Ole Miss............   57
   Mississippi State...   57
8. South Carolina......   58
9. Florida.............   59
10.Alabama.............   61
11.Vanderbilt..........   65
12.Auburn..............   76
13.Arkansas............   79
14.Kentucky............   80

.233 average against is good for 3rd best in the league.  Clean up the walks, as we largely were able to do this weekend, and this staff is really solid.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S

In this series we looked more complete than we have all year.
Hopefully - we can keep it going.
We should be entering the 2nd half of SEC play brimming with confidence.
We certainly did play with confidence this weekend. With 6 SEC series down and only 4 SEC series left we are winning at a 2 to 1 ratio with a SEC record of 12-6.

This season sure is going by fast as we only have 12 SEC games left and 3 non-SEC games left. And, then a whole bunch of post regular season games left.

hview

Do you think Nolan can return as an SEC contributor on the pitching staff this year?

EconHawg

Do you think Nolan can return as an SEC contributor on the pitching staff this year?

I'd say he certainly contributed today, so I think he's already answered your question!

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.

I think he and Wicklander have the opportunity to be an elite duo next year.

hview

Yeah, stupid post on my part. I didn't get a chance to watch the game. Just saw the part he played in the game. That was great!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S

It's been awhile since I have had to say this, but if you have a problem with another poster, take it to Private Messages and not in Public, especially not in the game threads.

If you don't understand the rules or need a refresher on how we do things here,
read this:
"The Rules thread". https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=609266.0
and this:
"For New/Infrequent EI Posters".   https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=626632.0
and this:
"THE BEST PLACE to follow Arkansas baseball (according to players and parents)" https://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=678949.0

gchamblee

• Benched along with patience and reason

Well you tell me what to say so I will be welcomed around here lol

don't be a late game momentum poster and you'll be welcomed in my opinion. waiting til late in the game and only showing up when a hog team loses momentum in order to bless us with your informed criticism is annoying. hogs were above criticism today in most fans eyes considering we threw a freshman pitcher against a top notch offense and we dominated them. you showed up for the last few outs when msu had their first offensive success of the game and started complaining about fix this, fix that, and got called out on it. maybe it was just poor timing on your part.

gchamblee

• Benched along with patience and reason

This forum polices itself for the most part, I think I’ve removed 3-4 post over the entire year. What you said wasn’t against the rules but was very negative and it came from someone that doesn’t participate here much. Yeah JHicks had a moment but he has more than earned his slack. All of us (well most) have slipped a time or two, it happens. It felt like you jumped in just to gripe so some jumped on you. I hope you stick around and continue to post.

this. you said it better than me.

theFlyingHog

Yeah, stupid post on my part. I didn't get a chance to watch the game. Just saw the part he played in the game. That was great!
Hahahahaha! When I saw your first post asking about Nolan I’m thinking “what else does the guy have to do?!??!”  ;D

hoglady

We certainly did play with confidence this weekend. With 6 SEC series down and only 4 SEC series left we are winning at a 2 to 1 ratio with a SEC record of 12-6.

This season sure is going by fast as we only have 12 SEC games left and 3 non-SEC games left. And, then a whole bunch of post regular season games left.

It sure has flown by.
This team has been fun to watch - we've had a lot of new players step up.
Van Horn has done a great job.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S

POST GAME - RECAP:
Noland’s Gem Turns Into Sweep For Hogs
https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/nolands-gem-turns-into-sweep-for-hogs/

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Freshman right-hander Connor Noland handcuffed second-ranked Mississippi State for 7.2 scoreless innings on Saturday as his performance helped 10th-ranked Arkansas to a 10-2 win and a three-game sweep at Baum-Walker Stadium.

Arkansas (30-10, 12-6 SEC) has swept the Bulldogs (32-9, 10-8 SEC) for the second time in three seasons and, with the win, moves ahead of Texas A&M for the overall SEC Western Division lead by a half game. The Hogs are now 21-4 at Baum-Walker Stadium this year and have won 21 or more games at home every year since 2006.

Noland, who had not pitched past the fifth inning in 10 previous starts this year, held the Bulldogs to only four hits in his career-long outing and came away with no walks and five strikeouts on 89 pitches. It was Noland’s second win of the week as he pitched two scoreless frames on Tuesday against Arkansas-Pine Bluff and is now 2-2 on the year.

After a slight struggle in the first inning where he left two aboard, but didn’t let any runs cross, Noland retired 10 of the next 11 batters he faced, allowing just a single by Gunner Halter in the third inning. He went on to pitch into the eighth inning before Jacob Kostyshock took over with two outs. Noland finished the game with 11 groundball outs and no extra-base hits allowed.

Offensively, seven Razorbacks had at least one hit in Saturday’s game. Casey Martin, Jordan McFarland and Jacob Nesbit each came away with two hits. Nesbit took home the top hitting line with a 2-for-4 game and four RBIs, three coming off a home run in the sixth, making it 7-0. It was Nesbit’s second home run of the year as two of his three hits in the series came in today’s game.

Nesbit Drives In First Run, Then Blasts Hogs To Big Inning
With just one hit in the series prior to Saturday’s series finale, third baseman Jacob Nesbit came through not only once, but twice in helping the Hogs to the three-game sweep of Mississippi State. Nesbit drove in the game’s first run in the fifth inning on a single up the middle to score Jordan McFarland. Then, in the sixth, Arkansas had already sent six men to the plate before Nesbit came up again and blasted a 0-1 pitch into the Hog Pen for three runs and pushing Arkansas’ lead to 7-0. Nesbit has seven hits in his last 10 games and the four RBIs was a career high.

McFarland Steps Up With Kjerstad Out
With Heston Kjerstad having to serve a one-game suspension due to his ejection on Friday, junior Jordan McFarland got the start at DH and Matt Goodheart moved to right field. McFarland responded well with the spot start, going 2-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI. His single in the fifth eventually led to him being driven in by Nesbit for Arkansas’ first run. Today was McFarland’s first start in conference play this season and first on the weekend since March 13. It was also his first multi-hit game since Feb. 16 against Eastern Illinois.

Hog Pitching Shuts Down SEC’s Top Offense
Mississippi State came into the weekend series with Arkansas as SEC’s top hitting team with a .327 average, which was also the second-highest average in the country. Arkansas pitching, however, kept the Bulldogs in check all weekend, limiting them to just 10 runs on 17 hits and a .173 team batting average. MSU’s leading hitter Jake Mangum was held to only two hits in the series. All three of Arkansas’ starting pitchers held the Bulldogs to two runs or less and struck out five or more.

Razorback Quotables
“Just a great job by our team, obviously, all three days coming out and really playing solid baseball and putting together some really good innings, offensively. Today, the story was Connor Noland. I mean, he was just lights outs. He had his two-seamer going, sinking. He wasn’t overpowering, 90 miles an hour. Most of his pitches were right at 90 and then he had a really good slider. He mixed in some changeups to some lefties. But he kind of went with the harder breaking pitch today and just did a super job.” – Head coach Dave Van Horn on Connor Noland’s outing

“Great job all weekend. I’m just proud of these guys. It’s been a good week. We had that tough game last Saturday at Vandy after a tough 3-2 loss on Friday and then we fought back and won Sunday. You can see how it kind of turns things. We did Tuesday and then won three more games. We’ve won five in a row. Just a really good job by our team mentally to stay strong last weekend and it led to this great week we had.” – Head coach Dave Van Horn on his team’s sweep of Mississippi State

“I’ve said all along that he’s mature for being a freshman in college. His mental makeup is advanced over some kids his age — maybe a lot — that we coach. It’s one reason why liked him right when he got in here and started working with us. We felt like he’d have a chance to pitch on the weekend, because of the mental part of it. Physically, he’s already there. Now he just needs experience. But you did see the mature part of him come out this whole week leading up today, and he got rewarded for it.” – Head coach Dave Van Horn on Connor Noland’s maturity

“I was just looking for a pitch I could handle. He threw me a fastball on the first pitch of the at bat that kind of sawed off my hands little bit. He threw me a fastball again on the next pitch and I didn’t miss it that time.” – Jacob Nesbit on his home run in the sixth inning

Coach (Dave) Van Horn says the SEC is kind of like a league like no other. Rankings don’t matter so much, like we saw last year.  We got swept by them in Starkville and we were ranked top five and they weren’t ranked at all.  So, anybody can beat anybody on any given day.  Thats just kind of baseball in general. Anytime you can sweep anybody in the SEC that’s something you want to do.” – Jordan McFarland on sweeping Mississippi State and now leading the division

“I’ve been waiting for that moment for a long time. Going seven and two-thirds innings, I mean that’s what you dream about, going out there and performing well at your peak performance. That was a big thing and just happy it happened.” – Connor Noland on having a career day on the mound

Up Next
Arkansas continues the homestand next Tuesday and Wednesday as it welcomes Northwestern State to Baum-Walker Stadium for a two-game series. First pitch on Tuesday is set for 6:30 p.m., followed by game two on Wednesday at 3 p.m. Both games will be televised online on SEC Network+.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S

vandybuff

Great sweep! 

ricepig

Just to verify.  It is still OK to call Ponderin names, correct? 

Always.....

tennesseehogwild

I think JHicks was watching the Preds falling apart in Game 5 at the same time our bullpen got a little shaky late. I can feel his pain there.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

I think JHicks was watching the Preds falling apart in Game 5 at the same time our bullpen got a little shaky late. I can feel his pain there.
I was actually sick and gave my tickets to a friend. I ended up only kicking the television rather than the people next to me at the game. If we don't win in Dallas tomorrow, I'll be able to do the Wednesday baseball game. The way we are playing I will probably be doing baseball. It will save me a lot of money for future playoff tickets though.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas