• 10,312,644 Posts
• 408,490 Topics
• 23,342 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 247 Sports: Projecting college football's Top 25 RBs of 2019  (Read 1168 times)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
247 Sports: Projecting college football's Top 25 RBs of 2019
« on: April 18, 2019, 05:56:26 am »

Rakeem Boyd comes in at #20 but they refer to him as "the lone wild-card" in the top 20 of their projected top 25.

The skinny: The lone wildcard in the Top 20, Rakeem Boyd — formerly of Last Chance U fame — rushed for 734 yards for the Razorbacks last fall as a first-year starter, giving a struggling Arkansas offense some semblance of a rushing attack during coach Chad Morris' first season. With better balance this fall, Boyd's numbers will increase given the fact defenses won't be loading the box.

As we now know, Boyd played injured for at least part of the season and could have had over 800 yards except for 41 lost rushing yards during the season, which is something that the staff has made a huge focus in the off season...minimizing TFL.

After having averaged nearly 6.0 yds/carry (5.97) last year it is amazing that he only had 2 rushing TD's all season. I'm sure all of us (and him as well) hope to see him in the EZ more often this season and perhaps that will happen with improved blocking up front. Boyd averaged just 10.3 carries/gm last season. Even if he only gets 5 more carries/gm this season, provided he can continue at his LY avg/carry, it would put him over 1,000 rushing yards in 12 games, which would be a great help to this offense.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Georgia-Bulldogs-Clemson-Tigers-college-football-running-backs-2019-Travis-Etienne-Najee-Harris-131253688/#131253688_2

twistitup

Re: 247 Sports: Projecting college football's Top 25 RBs of 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 06:21:39 am »

He's wild card...that's for sure. His potential is there, his durability may not be.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 07:20:35 am »

He's wild card...that's for sure. His potential is there, his durability may not be.

What injury was he bitten with last year?

rlamb

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 01:44:52 am »

He had about 120 yards in the first quarter against Ole Miss last year before he got hurt.
I think he had actually 2 injuries last year that easily kept him from 1000 yards and he was
not even playing much until like the 3rd game. If he can stay reasonably healthy, he could
have a McFadden like year.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 05:49:51 am »

He had about 120 yards in the first quarter against Ole Miss last year before he got hurt.
I think he had actually 2 injuries last year that easily kept him from 1000 yards and he was
not even playing much until like the 3rd game. If he can stay reasonably healthy, he could
have a McFadden like year.

Boyd's performance game by game last year was as up and down as our overall performance as a team was last year. There were a lot of things to scratch our heads about last year when looking at this team. But with regard to Boyd, just look at his net rushing yards game to game last season.

6 carries for 12 yards against E. Illinois. 2.0 yds/carry
7 carries for 67 yards against Colo St. 9.57 yds/carry
Did not play vs. North Texas.
8 carries for 66 yards against Auburn. 8.25 yds/carry
10 carries for 47 yards against Tx A&M. 4.7 yds/carry
Then, 15 carries for 102 yards against Alabama. 6.8 yds/carry
7 carries for 109 yards against Ole Miss. 15.6 yds/carry
Vs. Tulsa, it took him 22 carries to generate 99 yards. 4.5 yds/carry
19 carries for 113 yards against Vanderbilt. 5.95 yds/carry
10 carries for 30 yards against LSU. 3.0 yds/carry
14 carries for 84 yards against Miss St. 6.0 yds/carry
And then finally, 5 carries for 5 yards against Missouri. 1.0 yds/carry

If Boyd can stay healthy and the offense can function at a higher level (including the passing game) as a unit, Boyd could possibly have a huge year. One thing that has to happen is that the offense must execute more consistently instead of being competitive one game and then not the next game, and we certainly cannot afford to lose to teams that we should beat.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:03:35 am by MuskogeeHogFan »

Mike_e

• All-American Hogvillian
  • May the woo be with you
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 05:50:05 am »

What injury was he bitten with last year?

We thought we were playing a football game vs ole miss and they came for a mugging.

That bit him pretty good.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 03:46:18 pm »

We thought we were playing a football game vs ole miss and they came for a mugging.

That bit him pretty good.

Good thing for them that he went out early in the 2nd quarter because he was on his way to a career day. Just look above...7 carries for 109 yards.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 02:21:25 pm »

It may be worth noting that the 2018 O-Line was absent 9 players from the 2017 O-Line. Sure, some graduated and you have that every year and you just have to plan for that and deal with it. But when over half of those don't come back due to career ending injuries or a choice to leave and pursue a career or focus on their academics, that's a big hit to your O-Line and as a result you end up leaning on a couple of former starters, some experienced back-ups, inexperienced players and walk-ons. That can contribute to a seeming lack of durability of your RB's and QB's.

twistitup

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 03:11:37 pm »

It may be worth noting that the 2018 O-Line was absent 9 players from the 2017 O-Line. Sure, some graduated and you have that every year and you just have to plan for that and deal with it. But when over half of those don't come back due to career ending injuries or a choice to leave and pursue a career or focus on their academics, that's a big hit to your O-Line and as a result you end up leaning on a couple of former starters, some experienced back-ups, inexperienced players and walk-ons. That can contribute to a seeming lack of durability of your RB's and QB's.

He had durability issues in juco too.....same excuse? He was hurt all the time during Last Chance U season before he came here is what I have heard, then he had a huge game or two towards the end of the season. 

His durability issues did not start at Arkansas

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 03:33:19 pm »

He had durability issues in juco too.....same excuse? He was hurt all the time during Last Chance U season before he came here is what I have heard, then he had a huge game or two towards the end of the season. 

His durability issues did not start at Arkansas

I can't speak to that but I am willing to consider that if you have a link that indicates he had durability issues in JC.

twistitup

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 05:34:23 pm »

"The first few games I was banged up and I just had to get my mind right," Boyd said. "After I did, I just blew up and went with it. It was fun. The [offensive] line was creating holes and I was just hitting them and taking off."

http://www.indypirates.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20180604efnhaq

He blew up at the end of the season...after healing

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 06:20:10 pm »

"The first few games I was banged up and I just had to get my mind right," Boyd said. "After I did, I just blew up and went with it. It was fun. The [offensive] line was creating holes and I was just hitting them and taking off."

http://www.indypirates.com/sports/fball/2018-19/releases/20180604efnhaq

He blew up at the end of the season...after healing

Yeah, here is a link to his game by game performance. Banged up early, but not frequently, which might not support your point.

http://www.indypirates.com/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/boyd_rakeem_maxa?view=gamelog&pos=rb

twistitup

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 06:28:52 pm »

He was injured (appears by stats) the first 2 games..did not play 3rd...only 4 carries 4th game (huge yards -healthy) Only 21 carries his first 4 games - he said he was banged up himself.

Back to 12 carries his 7th game - banged up?

Huge final 2 games earned him schollies. 30+ carries per game. Early season injuries, comes on strong late when the games mean more.

One season, 11 games - possibly banged up for 5 of them...it is what it is.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 06:43:01 pm »

He was injured (appears by stats) the first 2 games..did not play 3rd...only 4 carries 4th game (huge yards -healthy) Only 21 carries his first 4 games - he said he was banged up himself.

Back to 12 carries his 7th game - banged up?

Huge final 2 games earned him schollies. 30+ carries per game. Early season injuries, comes on strong late when the games mean more.

One season, 11 games - possibly banged up for 5 of them...it is what it is.

You've got your opinion, I've got mine. It wasn't like he was in and out of games all season long.

twistitup

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 07:23:22 pm »

You've got your opinion, I've got mine. It wasn't like he was in and out of games all season long.

I just presented facts based on the stats you provided.

21 carries his first four games...not an opinion.

Huge games in the final 2 w 30+ carries...not an opinion

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 05:53:27 am »

I just presented facts based on the stats you provided.

21 carries his first four games...not an opinion.

Huge games in the final 2 w 30+ carries...not an opinion

Yeah, here is a link to his game by game performance. Banged up early, but not frequently, which might not support your point.

http://www.indypirates.com/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/boyd_rakeem_maxa?view=gamelog&pos=rb

Let's not act dense, I don't think that you are, so you must just be looking for something to do with that response.

twistitup

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 06:23:23 am »

Let's not act dense, I don't think that you are, so you must just be looking for something to do with that response.

not frequently?

I guess I need you to define frequent....it's seems to me when you are not healthy for almost 50% percent of the season, that would qualify as frequent.

And the trend continues at AR, he's healthy about 50% of the time:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/4047337/rakeem-boyd
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas