RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Nick Saban Got Told LOL

(1/1)

runninrazorback:
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-vs-ronnie-harrison-whos-right/

hawginbigd1:
I disagree, the player showed how short-sighted he was, and several others like him, this tale was about more than Ronnie Harrison, the tale is about too many players are jumping early on bad advice, mostly agents looking to get a bite. Way too many kids should be returning but they just can't wait that 1 more year to improve their draft status or to mature. Like Saban said over a qtr. of these guys never get drafted or make a roster. 1 more year might have meant they get drafted instead of a FA contract on a team that they don't necessarily fit. RB's and possibly WR are the only variant positions imo, as soon as someone says they will be drafted, go, but everywhere else, where you are drafted really matters and you should get multiple inputs before making a decision. I think Saban is a tool, but I think he genuinely believes that some of these players are doing nothing to help themselves in the long term.

arkfan81:
This is why itís important to go to school to learn and get a degree

SooieGeneris:
What Saban said was partly right in some cases, but as Shannon Sharpe pointed out there have been players like Lattimore who wound up with nothing after going back to improve his stock at USCE.

There is no one-size-fits-all for every college player. Unfortunately, it is bad optics for a millionaire coach to appear to begrudge a player making 3rd round money when the coach is making million$.

presidenthog:

--- Quote from: SooieGeneris on April 09, 2019, 12:53:39 pm ---What Saban said was partly right in some cases, but as Shannon Sharpe pointed out there have been players like Lattimore who wound up with nothing after going back to improve his stock at USCE.

There is no one-size-fits-all for every college player. Unfortunately, it is bad optics for a millionaire coach to appear to begrudge a player making 3rd round money when the coach is making million$.

--- End quote ---

They are both right. What is hard is the fact that 3rd round guys still get removed from the team early. 1st and 2nd get all the chances in the world because of the money on them. 3rd and down you start becoming replaceable if you do not show out.

Swinelake:

--- Quote from: arkfan81 on April 09, 2019, 12:50:56 pm ---This is why itís important to go to school to learn and get a degree

--- End quote ---

Yep. Even if you're a transcendent talent, you're still only one injury away from having none of that matter.

Get a degree.

IronMountainHog:
Keep my name out yo mouf? I never saw where he said yo name.

DoctorSusscrofa:
Screw all of them. People are corrupt and they get rewarded for being corrupt.

Pig in the Pokey:
Screw coming back if you have a top 3 round grade.

Catholic High Hog:
This is going to blow some peopleís minds, but players like to go pro so they can get money. College coaches and fans would like them to stay, so they will help their team the following year.

MuskogeeHogFan:

--- Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 09, 2019, 04:16:50 pm ---Screw coming back if you have a top 3 round grade.

--- End quote ---

But that is exactly what Saban addressed. Sure, if you are top 3 rounds, go get your money while you can. If you are a projected 5th round, you might be better off coming back for another year. Even then, there are always exceptions. Better to listen to the NFL evaluators than your Agent who just wants to put more in his pocket.

Mike_e:
Everybody seems to be forgetting that a very large percentage of these guys are from lower income families.

In their eyes even a few hundred thousand dollars is life changing.  Heck just being able to keep their mom's lights on would be a plus.

Saving your seed for next year's crop is a good idea until you are starving and face living now as opposed to prospering later.

TXArcher:

--- Quote from: Mike_e on April 09, 2019, 06:36:59 pm ---Everybody seems to be forgetting that a very large percentage of these guys are from lower income families.

In their eyes even a few hundred thousand dollars is life changing.  Heck just being able to keep their mom's lights on would be a plus.

Saving your seed for next year's crop is a good idea until you are starving and face living now as opposed to prospering later.

--- End quote ---

With $50K in tattoos, please, gimme a break.

Dark Helmet Hog:
90% will be flat broke within 5 years of leaving the NFL, regardless of salary. The degree might do them some good.

Hawghiggs:
 Then the NCAA should allow a person to be able to put their name into a draft and if they don't get drafted, be able to return to school.

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: SooieGeneris on April 09, 2019, 12:53:39 pm ---What Saban said was partly right in some cases, but as Shannon Sharpe pointed out there have been players like Lattimore who wound up with nothing after going back to improve his stock at USCE.

--- End quote ---

Iím pretty certain Lattimore cashed a very high dollar insurance clause. 

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: Catholic High Hog on April 09, 2019, 04:39:40 pm ---This is going to blow some peopleís minds, but players like to go pro so they can get money. College coaches and fans would like them to stay, so they will help their team the following year.

--- End quote ---

3rd round money might be a paycut for bama players

Letsroll1200:
The young man left school early and is currently working towards his next contract at the same time getting paid probably a little bit better than what he gets at Bama. Winning!

HogX:

--- Quote from: TXArcher on April 09, 2019, 07:06:57 pm ---With $50K in tattoos, please, gimme a break.

--- End quote ---

If you think that college athletes are paying full price (if at all) for those tattoos, I got some ocean front property for you.

NuttinItUp:
There are definitely too many kids leaving early, as this quote from the story encapsulates:

"Last year 37 underclassmen who declared were not drafted. Not only are they are not getting paid to play football, theyíre not in school, either, working toward their degree."

Swinelake:

--- Quote from: HogX on April 10, 2019, 08:39:31 am ---If you think that college athletes are paying full price (if at all) for those tattoos, I got some ocean front property for you.

--- End quote ---

You think that same kid can't get a booster to handle his moms light bill for a couple years if he really wanted to?

Darren DeLoach (semohawg):
Saban can not whine about the very thing he created. His entire sell is that he can prepare you for the next level like no other program, and you will win big in the process. So it's not exactly logical for him not to expect this to be the norm. He has his cake...but someone else will get to eat it.

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2019, 06:26:18 pm ---But that is exactly what Saban addressed. Sure, if you are top 3 rounds, go get your money while you can. If you are a projected 5th round, you might be better off coming back for another year. Even then, there are always exceptions. Better to listen to the NFL evaluators than your Agent who just wants to put more in his pocket.

--- End quote ---
and it is incredibly self serving of him to say so.

Marcus Lattimore disagrees....

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: TXArcher on April 09, 2019, 07:06:57 pm ---With $50K in tattoos, please, gimme a break.

--- End quote ---
you arent too bright , are you. 1st of all, how would all these college kids get 50 grand?
Then you act like the tats arent free LOL.

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 10, 2019, 08:21:30 am ---The young man left school early and is currently working towards his next contract at the same time getting paid probably a little bit better than what he gets at Bama. Winning!

--- End quote ---
100% agree. this is a college coach trying to talk well sought after employees to intern for free for ANOTHER year or two. HELL to the no.

HogX:

--- Quote from: Swinelake on April 10, 2019, 09:23:11 am ---You think that same kid can't get a booster to handle his moms light bill for a couple years if he really wanted to?

--- End quote ---

Why lean on someone else when you can leave and make more money, in many cases, than anyone in their family has ever seen?

If 50 year old coaches can lie to an 18 year old kid then bounce for a payday somewhere else once he signs with little criticism, then I have no problem with a kid leaving early and collecting what he's earned.  It's better to get a degree with the failure rate, but it ain't my life so whatever. 

Pig in the Pokey:
i sense a bit of veiled...... oh, NM

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 10, 2019, 10:10:37 am ---100% agree. this is a college coach trying to talk well sought after employees to intern for free for ANOTHER year or two. HELL to the no.

--- End quote ---

HA!!!!

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: onebadrubi on April 10, 2019, 10:12:25 am ---HA!!!!

--- End quote ---
the stipend doesnt amount to much.

jrhardy88:
The idea that these kids just need to stay in school and get their degree is laughable.Hasnít it been shown that lots of them are functionally illiterate just skating through school so they can play football.Saban saying to stay in school is equally laughable,like he cares if they get a degree.

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: jrhardy88 on April 10, 2019, 10:13:16 am ---The idea that these kids just need to stay in school and get their degree is laughable.Hasnít it been shown that lots of them are functionally illiterate just skating through school so they can play football.Saban saying to stay in school is equally laughable,like he cares if they get a degree.

--- End quote ---
absolutely. the ONLY reason he cares is his record and his financial benefit.

sickboy:

--- Quote from: NuttinItUp on April 10, 2019, 09:12:47 am ---There are definitely too many kids leaving early, as this quote from the story encapsulates:

"Last year 37 underclassmen who declared were not drafted. Not only are they are not getting paid to play football, theyíre not in school, either, working toward their degree."
--- End quote ---

That's the NCAAs problem, not the kids. The NCAA should let them come back to school to get a degree if they go undrafted. But the NCAA isn't in the business of helping kids get their degree. They're in the business of making as much money as they can off the kid.

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: sickboy on April 10, 2019, 11:23:12 am ---That's the NCAAs problem, not the kids. The NCAA should let them come back to school to get a degree if they go undrafted. But the NCAA isn't in the business of helping kids get their degree. They're in the business of making as much money as they can off the kid.

--- End quote ---

Didn't Bret mention this a few times publicly after the Denver Kirkland situation of him not getting drafted? 

Swinelake:

--- Quote from: HogX on April 10, 2019, 10:11:57 am ---Why lean on someone else when you can leave and make more money, in many cases, than anyone in their family has ever seen?

If 50 year old coaches can lie to an 18 year old kid then bounce for a payday somewhere else once he signs with little criticism, then I have no problem with a kid leaving early and collecting what he's earned.  It's better to get a degree with the failure rate, but it ain't my life so whatever.

--- End quote ---

Did you get lost? We were discussing the disconnect between how kids are leaving to "pay their mom's light bill", yet they have nice cars and tattoos and etc.

The point was made that the kids get these things for free. So I pointed out that they could get the light bill for free too so they can finish school.

As that crap about coaches leaving is nothing but a distraction from the discussion at hand.

HogX:

--- Quote from: Swinelake on April 10, 2019, 11:30:26 am ---Did you get lost? We were discussing the disconnect between how kids are leaving to "pay their mom's light bill", yet they have nice cars and tattoos and etc.

The point was made that the kids get these things for free. So I pointed out that they could get the light bill for free too so they can finish school.

As that crap about coaches leaving is nothing but a distraction from the discussion at hand.

--- End quote ---

Ah, a snippy little fella.  So they could get mama's light bill paid by a booster.  Whoopee.  Free cars, tattoos, tuition, light bills, and rent still does not add up to even the signing bonus a fourth-rounder receives alone ($600,000-$700,000 on average).

Besides, maybe they're tired of having to do everything through some sort of cloak and dagger routine with boosters like they're criminals and want to have their own money.  Nothing wrong with that. 

If the entire issue is the idea of them having a handful of free things but saying "I want to help my family", then I don't know what to tell you.  Anybody in the history of public figures who advanced their career do it for "Me and my family".  Even if they were making $10 million a year and now make $15 million. 

As for the 'crap about coaches leaving', I see you have no retort and it has been noted.

lasthog:

--- Quote from: HogX on April 10, 2019, 08:39:31 am ---If you think that college athletes are paying full price (if at all) for those tattoos, I got some ocean front property for you.

--- End quote ---

They pay for those tats as often as a hot chick buys her own drinks.

Hawgphat:

--- Quote from: arkfan81 on April 09, 2019, 12:50:56 pm ---This is why itís important to go to school to learn and get a degree

--- End quote ---

Some "student"-athletes don't enter college to earn a degree from the outset; - they merely want an accessible bridge to a career in professional sport, - - with the very least amount of academic loads requirements possible in their pre-planned abortive college curriculum.

arkfan81:

--- Quote from: Hawgphat on April 10, 2019, 08:26:16 pm ---Some "student"-athletes don't enter college to earn a degree from the outset; - they merely want an accessible bridge to a career in professional sport, - - with the very least amount of academic loads requirements possible in their pre-planned abortive college curriculum.

--- End quote ---

I understand that, and I get backgrounds are different from one to another.

In pro sports, football especially you canít bank on a long healthy career. Money/ health are not  guaranteed.

So while you have the opportunity to get and education, why not take advantage and get the degree to have opportunities other then sports?

HawgsPolo:
Ronnie signed for 3.38 million and will be starting next season for an NFL team. Whatís the problem??

NoogaHog:
As much as I dislike Kentucky and John Calipari, one thing that they do that I think every school should do is that as a BB player at Kentucky, your scholarship is lifelong. So you can be a one and done or two and done and if your career doesn't work out like you wanted, or if you need a degree to get into coaching, you can come back to school for free to finish your degree.

I think that would solve a lot of these issues. I don't know if other colleges do this, but that is definitely part of Calipari's sales pitch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version
Mobile View