RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Beardís style would not work in the SEC

(1/2) > >>

hawgon:
His starters would all foul out by halftime in your average midweek SEC game.  I am really glad we dodged that bullet.

heatmiser:
While he is a good coach; I have to agree that tough defense = fouls in the SEC.  thatís why I hope we can a turn to be a better rebounding team.

Paul:
i disagree.  If you establish your team as a tough fundamentally sound defensive team you will get the calls. Big 'If" though. 

hawgon:

--- Quote from: Paul on April 09, 2019, 07:37:58 am ---i disagree.  If you establish your team as a tough fundamentally sound defensive team you will get the calls. Big 'If" though.

--- End quote ---

Youíre wrong.  Not in the SEC.  Everyone knows that the fans come out to watch the officials in the SEC.

kkremers:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 07:21:19 am ---His starters would all foul out by halftime in your average midweek SEC game.  I am really glad we dodged that bullet.

--- End quote ---
The Handcheck rule instituted because teams couldn't handle Nolans style of defense.A lot like lowering the pitchers mound because batters couldn't handle Bob Gipsons pitches in MLB.

go hogues:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 07:21:19 am ---His starters would all foul out by halftime in your average midweek SEC game.  I am really glad we dodged that bullet.

--- End quote ---

Ex-Trumpet:
Beard would have been a great hire, but I don't think he would have had the same success as he is having at Tech, mostly for the reasons already listed.

Happy about the Musselman hire...dude is the sauce.

rtr:

--- Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on April 09, 2019, 08:06:25 am ---Beard would have been a great hire, but I don't think he would have had the same success as he is having at Tech, mostly for the reasons already listed.

Happy about the Musselman hire...dude is the sauce.

--- End quote ---
apple sauce.

navyhog24:

--- End quote ---

hogsanity:
You cna play good solid D in the SEC, or in any league, IF you do not use your freaking hands to grab, hack, and slap all the time. There were many NCAAT games, called by guys that call SEC, that had very few fouls. One problem in the SEC is it seems no one knows how to close out on shooters, they just go running and flying at them and then when they get beat on the dribble just reach out and grab. Or they go jumping right into 3 pt shooters ( see Auburn as exhibit A ).

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 07:21:19 am ---His starters would all foul out by halftime in your average midweek SEC game. I am really glad we dodged that bullet.

--- End quote ---

hawgon:
There was lots of grabbing, hacking, and checking going on last night and in the whole tournament by Tech.  But it doesnít matter that much, SEC officials call the games based on what they think you did instead of what you actually did.  And what they think you did is based on what will get them the biggest positive reaction from the crowd at the moment.

Pig in the Pokey:
It'd work just fine @ Kentucky, but @ Arkansas our opponents would be in the bonus 5 minutes into the game.

red_beard_82:
This is silly. Musselman was a great hire. Beard would have been a great hire. Nobody plays defense in the SEC because everyone is chasing Calipari. Just like everyone was chasing Saban until Freeze and Ole Miss proved you dont beat the man by mimicing the man. We won't out iso-dribble-drive Kentucky.

RazorNick:

--- Quote from: navyhog24 on April 09, 2019, 08:11:32 am ---

--- End quote ---

Actually looks like Beard

oldman1015:

--- End quote ---
Iím happy with the coach we got but CMON MAN.

hawgon:

--- Quote from: oldman1015 on April 09, 2019, 09:43:19 am ---Iím happy with the coach we got but CMON MAN.

--- End quote ---

They would and you know it.  They would have 35 fouls against Kentucky. 

hogsanity:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 09:13:04 am ---There was lots of grabbing, hacking, and checking going on last night and in the whole tournament by Tech.  But it doesnít matter that much, SEC officials call the games based on what they think you did instead of what you actually did.  And what they think you did is based on what will get them the biggest positive reaction from the crowd at the moment.

--- End quote ---

Even though this has been pointed out many times, there are no SEC officials. These guys all work multiple leagues. There were several NCAAT games where neither team got to the bonus in the 1st half, and only did in the 2nd because 1 team was fouling at the end.

Wonder what the foul counts are like when SEC teams play OOC games? Do they still get whistled for lots of fouls?

hawgon:

--- Quote from: hogsanity on April 09, 2019, 11:01:24 am ---Even though this has been pointed out many times, there are no SEC officials. These guys all work multiple leagues. There were several NCAAT games where neither team got to the bonus in the 1st half, and only did in the 2nd because 1 team was fouling at the end.

Wonder what the foul counts are like when SEC teams play OOC games? Do they still get whistled for lots of fouls?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, yeah I know that but itís still the SEC.

We took an SEC crew with us to Lubbock this year.  Guess, what Texas Tech got hit with more than four fouls more than they averaged.  We shot 26 free throws to their 19 and stayed in it even though they hit 10 three pointers to our 4.

hogsanity:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 11:11:58 am ---Yeah, yeah I know that but itís still the SEC.

We took an SEC crew with us to Lubbock this year.  Guess, what Texas Tech got hit with more than four fouls more than they averaged.  We shot 26 free throws to their 19 and stayed in it even though they hit 10 three pointers to our 4.

--- End quote ---

OOOOOOH 4 more fouls than their average, against a team with a very athletic big man. Most of the fouls must have been shooting fouls too for the Hogs to shoot 26 ft's on only 21 fouls.

But here is what I do not get, these guys call in many different leagues, yet some people think for some reason they go to SEC games and just decide they are going to call fouls that they do not call in the big10 or big12 or acc, that makes no sense.

N HOG:
Surely everyone would agree the officiating in the tournament was quite a bit different from the regular season. It was enjoyable.

I get sick of the free throw shooting marathons one sees in the regular season -- and I do think it is somewhat worse in SEC games than in other leagues.

hogsanity:

--- Quote from: N HOG on April 09, 2019, 12:07:15 pm ---Surely everyone would agree the officiating in the tournament was quite a bit different from the regular season. It was enjoyable.

I get sick of the free throw shooting marathons one sees in the regular season -- and I do think it is somewhat worse in SEC games than in other leagues.

--- End quote ---

Agree on points one and 2. I have asked this before IF it is worse in the SEC, knowing the officials call in multiple leagues, then WHY is it worse in the SEC? Is the SEC telling them to call more fouls because the SEC wants to be the FT league?

I can tell you this, officials DO NOT enjoy FT fests anymore than fans.

N HOG:

--- Quote from: hogsanity on April 09, 2019, 12:09:22 pm ---Agree on points one and 2. I have asked this before IF it is worse in the SEC, knowing the officials call in multiple leagues, then WHY is it worse in the SEC? Is the SEC telling them to call more fouls because the SEC wants to be the FT league?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: hogsanity on April 09, 2019, 12:09:22 pm ---Agree on points one and 2. I have asked this before IF it is worse in the SEC, knowing the officials call in multiple leagues, then WHY is it worse in the SEC? Is the SEC telling them to call more fouls because the SEC wants to be the FT league?

--- End quote ---

I don't know why it is -- I just know my eyes don't lie.

A bunch of the SEC games were unwatchable due to free throws.

MB Hog:
I've noticed in the few games that I've watched Tech that they do a lot of mirroring with the ball defensively rather than grabbing and hacking.  When they trap, their guys follow the ball with their hands without doing a lot of swatting.  The opponents feel the pressure though and try to get rid of the ball... which is then deflected by one of those mirroring hands.

I think they also get away with fouls a little more often because of their reputation of not grabbing.  On the occasion that they do grab or swat, they sometimes get a little more benefit of the doubt because it's not what they normally do.

Similar to the old Nolan teams, it got to the point where we got so many "good" steals that we started getting away with more fouls on steals because the refs expected us to steal the ball with success and they swallowed their whistles a little more often.

RockChalkJayhawk:
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/286

64   Kentucky

69   Texas A and M

92   Alabama

119  Florida

129  MSU

145  Texas Tech

170  Georgia

174  Tennessee

185  Vanderbilt

209  LSU

224  Ole Miss

229  Auburn

301  South Carolina

304  Missouri

330  Arkansas

skinnypig:
are you high?

Gonzo:

--- Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on April 09, 2019, 12:21:44 pm ---https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/team/286

64   Kentucky

69   Texas A and M

92   Alabama

119  Florida

129  MSU

145  Texas Tech

170  Georgia

174  Tennessee

185  Vanderbilt

209  LSU

224  Ole Miss

229  Auburn

301  South Carolina

304  Missouri

330  Arkansas

--- End quote ---

Very disappointed you left out the most relevant one, coming in at #126 ......

Nevada      ;)

Go Hogs!

Hogdomer:

--- Quote from: hogsanity on April 09, 2019, 09:09:44 am ---You cna play good solid D in the SEC, or in any league, IF you do not use your freaking hands to grab, hack, and slap all the time. There were many NCAAT games, called by guys that call SEC, that had very few fouls. One problem in the SEC is it seems no one knows how to close out on shooters, they just go running and flying at them and then when they get beat on the dribble just reach out and grab. Or they go jumping right into 3 pt shooters ( see Auburn as exhibit A ).

--- End quote ---

Tech was described by an opposing coach in the tournament (I think it was Few) as the "handsiest" team he had ever seen.  They slap and reach more than any team in the current college game.

hawgon:
They were flat out mugging people last night. 

HOGSWEAT:
Hot take:

You can be happy with our hire AND acknowledge Beard would have been a slam dunk. Anyone suggesting he would not have had success here needs to submit a drug test.

hogsanity:

--- Quote from: N HOG on April 09, 2019, 12:18:24 pm ---I don't know why it is -- I just know my eyes don't lie.

A bunch of the SEC games were unwatchable due to free throws.

--- End quote ---

Agree they were unwatchable because both teams would not stop fouling.

hawgon:

--- Quote from: HOGSWEAT on April 09, 2019, 12:51:24 pm ---Hot take:

You can be happy with our hire AND acknowledge Beard would have been a slam dunk. Anyone suggesting he would not have had success here needs to submit a drug test.

--- End quote ---

Define success.  Winning?  Yes.  Making the tournament most years? Yes.  Going back to the Final Four?  Nope, it will be half dozen years at the very least before he does that again, if ever.

gumbohog:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 09:54:33 am ---They would and you know it.  They would have 35 fouls against Kentucky.

--- End quote ---

I was saying this watching tech play in the tourney...if this were an SEC game there would be 12 fouls each time down the court ó SEC refs suck

N HOG:
There is no doubt in my mind that, had that been a regular season SEC game last night, there would have been 70 free throws shot.

hawgon:
Hand checking you say?

Catholic High Hog:

--- End quote ---

Yea his style has only shown to be productive in the non conference, the Big 12, and NCAA Tournament! All that style is good enough for is to make it to OT of the National Title game. Dumb post

hawgon:

--- Quote from: Catholic High Hog on April 09, 2019, 02:22:10 pm ---Yea his style has only shown to be productive in the non conference, the Big 12, and NCAA Tournament! All that style is good enough for is to make it to OT of the National Title game. Dumb post

--- End quote ---

Out in the second game of the SEC TOURNAMENT and miss the NCAA.

Catholic High Hog:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 02:26:13 pm ---Out in the second game of the SEC TOURNAMENT and miss the NCAA.

--- End quote ---

You canít be serious?

Mike Irwin:

--- End quote ---
Ridiculous. He will win anywhere. He's a hell of a coach. He wasn't ever coming here so it doesn't matter but there's no need for that nonsense.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 09:13:04 am ---There was lots of grabbing, hacking, and checking going on last night and in the whole tournament by Tech.  But it doesnít matter that much, SEC officials call the games based on what they think you did instead of what you actually did. And what they think you did is based on what will get them the biggest positive reaction from the crowd at the moment.

--- End quote ---

Agree on everything but the last line. I've been to many a game in BWA where the refs  seemed to relish in the fury of boos.

hawgon:

--- Quote from: Catholic High Hog on April 09, 2019, 02:30:18 pm ---You canít be serious?

--- End quote ---

Play Kentucky, they go to the line 125 times, the student managers are forced to take the court and they foul out too.

hawgon:

--- Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2019, 02:35:13 pm ---Ridiculous. He will win anywhere. He's a hell of a coach. He wasn't ever coming here so it doesn't matter but there's no need for that nonsense.

--- End quote ---

He wonít go to another Final Four in ten years.

hogsanity:

--- Quote from: hawgon on April 09, 2019, 02:56:28 pm ---He wonít go to another Final Four in ten years.

--- End quote ---

Well, he maybe, but he already has one more than.....................Oh never mind.

Styflin:

--- Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2019, 02:35:13 pm ---Ridiculous. He will win anywhere. He's a hell of a coach. He wasn't ever coming here so it doesn't matter but there's no need for that nonsense.

--- End quote ---

What were your thoughts on Bret when he was hired?

HOGSWEAT:
There's no room for fundamentals and discipline in the SEC, just won't work.

Youngsta71701:

--- Quote from: hogsanity on April 09, 2019, 12:55:01 pm ---Agree they were unwatchable because both teams would not stop fouling.

--- End quote ---
Dude, it's plain and simple. Some of the fouls that are called in the SEC are not called in other conferences. Period! Point! Blank! If Texas Tech played in the SEC they would average at least 20 fouls per game. Easy...

hogsanity:

--- Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 09, 2019, 03:06:58 pm ---Dude, it's plain and simple. Some of the fouls that are called in the SEC are not called in other conferences. Period! Point! Blank! If Texas Tech played in the SEC they would average at least 20 fouls per game. Easy...

--- End quote ---

And I keep asking WHY do you think that is, since the same refs call in other leagues and do not make the same calls, according to some. Does the SEC want to be the foul league?

Junkyard Hog:
That's one bullet I was hoping we didn't dodge!

I'm happy with Muss but Beard would've been great too.

His coaching plays in any conference.  To suggest otherwise is ridiculous.

hawgon:
Weíd average at least 49 fouls a game.

Boardon Hamsay:
This thread is brought to you by the 21st amendment as it stands on the grounds of  complete inebriation and the repeal of any intellectual thought.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View