RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

New Coach will be somebody NOBODY has named yet.

(1/2) > >>

oldbooniehog:
In true Arkansas fashion, the AD will, with help from power-hungry BOT members, starry-eyed boosters and tobacco-spit-stained members of the GOBN,  completely and totally FRANK up this coach hire.

Somebody that nobody at all has ever mentioned will be hired.

He will be sooooo obscure and from sooo far out in D-II, left-field, up-and-comer, Northern Central Southeastern Tech Panhandle States-ville, you will have to google the google search to find out who he allegedly is.

I have TOTAL faith in all this happening, because this IS Arkansas, after all

RockyMtnHog:
Steve Smith - Oak Hill Academy

He is the best high school coach in the USA.  Don't believe it look him up.

Kevin:
Tough to be somebody not named on here. 

Shinobi Wan Kenobi:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 09:56:07 pm ---In true Arkansas fashion, the AD will, with help from power-hungry BOT members, starry-eyed boosters and tobacco-spit-stained members of the GOBN,  completely and totally FRANK up this coach hire.

He will be sooooo obscure and from sooo far out in D-II, left-field, up-and-comer, Northern Central Southeastern Tech Panhandle States-ville, you will have to google the google search to find out who he allegedly is.

--- End quote ---

Back away from the cliff.......

greenie:
Think of the money well save!

oldbooniehog:
You mean back away from the Jack Crowe Houston Nutt Chad Morris Stan Heath John Pelphrey cliff?

Randohoggie:
People keep saying this, but here is the reality of our major sport coaching hires ...

Anderson, high profile, major conference coach, we got him.
Bielema, high profile, major conference coach, we got him.
Petrino, high profile, NFL coach, we got him.
Van Horn, high profile, major conference coach, we got him.
Heath, hot name in coaching at the time, probably our first choice, we got him.

Pelphrey, yes, we stumbled into him.  Morris, probably, we stumbled into him.  These two are the exceptions, not the norm.  Obviously, all coaches don't work out as well as you would like, but this narrative that Arkansas strikes out on coaches and takes what they can get is straight up false.

*Before someone says it, no, I didn't count John L, as he was just an interim coach.

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 10:12:43 pm ---You mean back away from the Jack Crowe Houston Nutt Chad Morris Stan Heath John Pelphrey cliff?

--- End quote ---

So you're just gonna ignore all the Petinos, Suttons, Richardsons, Van Hornes, Bielemas, Andersons, Fords, Holtzs and Hatfields that have passed your way?

oldbooniehog:
Even though Anderson and Bielema had D-1 jobs before Arkansas, I am pretty sure you can count BOTH of them as strikeouts...

Randohoggie:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 10:20:16 pm ---Even though Anderson and Bielema had D-1 jobs before Arkansas, I am pretty sure you can count BOTH of them as strikeouts...

--- End quote ---

That's not the issue.  In neither case did we miss on a bunch of coaches and have to settle, as people are saying always happens.  Further, I wouldn't call Anderson a miss.  He elevated the status of the program from when he took over.

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 10:20:16 pm ---Even though Anderson and Bielema had D-1 jobs before Arkansas, I am pretty sure you can count BOTH of them as strikeouts...

--- End quote ---

There you go old Boonie...move those goal post as it fits your agenda.

Letsroll1200:
Hunter Yuratool has done a terrible job. Has completely taken away the fan base from the Spring game. Terrible

kkremers:

--- Quote from: Randohoggie on April 05, 2019, 10:15:01 pm ---People keep saying this, but here is the reality of our major sport coaching hires ...

Pelphrey, yes, we stumbled into him.  Morris, probably, we stumbled into him.  These two are the exceptions, not the norm.  Obviously, all coaches don't work out as well as you would like, but this narrative that Arkansas strikes out on coaches and takes what they can get is straight up false.

*Before someone says it, no, I didn't count John L, as he was just an interim coach.

--- End quote ---

kkremers:

--- Quote from: Randohoggie on April 05, 2019, 10:15:01 pm ---People keep saying this, but here is the reality of our major sport coaching hires ...

--- End quote ---
   what about Jack Crowe .

BaconTheSaddleAgain:
Well, weve named pretty much everyone but high school coaches.

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2019, 10:27:49 pm ---Hunter Yuratool has done a terrible job. Has completely taken away the fan base from the Spring game. Terrible

--- End quote ---

I have a feeling you are gonna get proven wrong on this one.

I think he is gonna hit a home run. There is a reason why one of those D-2 no name coaches haven't been named yet.

It is because he is fishing deep water for a huge fish.

PRJ

oldbooniehog:
My "agenda" is nothing more than almost 50 years of watching Hog sports.

And almost EVERY SINGLE TIME that national prominence, respect or reaching "the next level" is at stake, Arkansas will drop the game winning INT in the end zone against Miami, will miss multiple game winning field goals against Texas, will commit the Stoernover, will blow the 2nd half against UCLA, will hire Pelphrey, will let a National Championship fly ball bounce harmlessly on the turf, will get called for pass interference vs SMU, will get called for a penalty against Florida twice, will fumble a punt into the end zone in the SEC title game, will give up a 4th down pass vs Texas in the Game of the Century, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

With the lone exception in basketball in 1994, Arkansas is one long painful tale of would have, could have, should have, almost but not quite.

This coach hire will be no different.

Shinobi Wan Kenobi:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 05, 2019, 10:37:46 pm ---I have a feeling you are gonna get proven wrong on this one.

I think he is gonna hit a home run. There is a reason why one of those D-2 no name coaches haven't been named yet.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

Takes some balls for sure. I do like the perceived notion that they want Arkansas basketball to return to elite status and are willing to go all in. Just hope they strike gold and not fool's gold.

Letsroll1200:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 05, 2019, 10:37:46 pm ---I have a feeling you are gonna get proven wrong on this one.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

I'll believe it when I see it. Beard ain't coming and than what.

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 10:38:17 pm ---My "agenda" is nothing more than almost 50 years of watching Hog sports.

--- End quote ---

As usual, you can't keep up.  The list of no names you provided, was eclipsed by twice as many big time hires, coaches who have won championships before coming here, and after leaving here and also won them while here.  Many hall of fame coaches on my list too. 

And sure, we have plenty of room to get better, just like every other school does.

Why'd you even start such a goofy thread?  What is wrong with you?

oldbooniehog:
What's wrong with me is I am sick and tired of Hogs always coming up short

Sick and tired of not being a threat to win any SEC titles in football, baseball or basketball.

Weary unto death of expecting disaster and failure, but still feeling the sting when the disaster and failure inevitably show up.

Exhausted of almost but not quite, would have, should have, could have, close but not quite.

Worn totally out from Arkansas always Arkansasing everything up.

THAT is what is wrong with me!

Randohoggie:

--- Quote from: kkremers on April 05, 2019, 10:31:38 pm ---   what about Jack Crowe .

--- End quote ---

You want to go back that far?  Ok, how about Sutton, Richardson, Holtz, and Hatfield?  I guarantee you get further in the hole as we go back.

Randohoggie:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 10:55:06 pm ---What's wrong with me is I am sick and tired of Hogs always coming up short

Sick and tired of not being a threat to win any SEC titles in football, baseball or basketball.

Weary unto death of expecting disaster and failure, but still feeling the sting when the disaster and failure inevitably show up.

Exhausted of almost but not quite, would have, should have, could have, close but not quite.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like you have personal problems to me.  Foremost, you take this all way too seriously.  A close second to that, you apparently only see the negative.

chortle:

--- Quote from: Randohoggie on April 05, 2019, 10:56:47 pm ---You want to go back that far?  Ok, how about Sutton, Richardson, Holtz, and Hatfield?  I guarantee you get further in the hole as we go back.

--- End quote ---

I agree with you only in the sense that your example demonstrates the downward trajectory weve been on for the better part of two decades in the athletic department in general.

Sure, you can give me outliers like DVH, but the overall trend is 🔻.

Randohoggie:

--- Quote from: chortle on April 05, 2019, 11:01:09 pm ---
I agree with you only in the sense that your example demonstrates the downward trajectory weve been on for the better part of two decades in the athletic department in general.

Sure, you can give me outliers like DVH, but the overall trend is 🔻.

--- End quote ---

Can't argue with the overall trajectory, but that wasn't the discussion that started this.

STLhawg:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 09:56:07 pm ---In true Arkansas fashion, the AD will, with help from power-hungry BOT members, starry-eyed boosters and tobacco-spit-stained members of the GOBN,  completely and totally FRANK up this coach hire.

--- End quote ---
You poor little child; please find an adult to hold your trembling hand.

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2019, 10:44:27 pm ---I'll believe it when I see it. Beard ain't coming and than what.

--- End quote ---

Then he gets Eric Musselman.

But I think there is a decent chance Beard says yes.

PRJ

Shinobi Wan Kenobi:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 05, 2019, 11:07:40 pm ---Then he gets Eric Musselman.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

Because Arkansas can outbid Tech or some other reason?

I think to most on the outside looking in it just seems Beard has reasons to stay at Tech. Family, ties to Tech, etc.

moses_007:
At least we don't have Steinmetz meddling in this hire like Frank White did.  But the BOT shouldn't meddle in it either...all they should do is approve the money when the AD tells them what the new coach will make.

I agree with the OP that someone always fricks up these coaching hires.  We heard Broyles offered Bill Self and someone said no, to hire Stan Heath.  We also had Tommy Tubberville almost hired and got rooked into hiring Houston Nutt.  Then, John White himself hired John Pelphrey while Broyles was over at the Masters in Augusta, supposedly without even conferring with Broyles.  It goes on and on.

So, yeah, expect the next coach to be an up-and-comer that 95 percent of Hogville has never heard of.  Who here had heard of Chad Morris before we announced him?  I had no idea who he was...

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 10:55:06 pm ---What's wrong with me is I am sick and tired of Hogs always coming up short

--- End quote ---

All teams but one come up short, in every sport, every year.  68 teams started the NCAA tourney a couple of weeks ago, 67 will end their seasons with a loss.  Most of those teams will be able to realize they had a good season, maybe not a championship, but still a respectable year. 

This is not exclusive to the University of Arkansas, these other teams we play have good coaches, good players and many of them want to win just like our teams do.

Randohoggie:

--- Quote from: moses_007 on April 05, 2019, 11:12:46 pm --- It goes on and on.

--- End quote ---

No, it doesn't.

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: Randohoggie on April 05, 2019, 11:02:37 pm --- 

Can't argue with the overall trajectory, but that wasn't the discussion that started this.

--- End quote ---

Lol..exactly, OBH quickly shifted gears on his nonsense.

RockyMtnHog:

--- Quote from: Shinobi Wan Kenobi on April 05, 2019, 11:12:25 pm ---Because Arkansas can outbid Tech or some other reason?

I think to most on the outside looking in it just seems Beard has reasons to stay at Tech. Family, ties to Tech, etc.

--- End quote ---

As long as the BOT is in charge of this hire, we are not outbidding anybody.  It's their way or the highway.

RockyMtnHog:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 05, 2019, 11:07:40 pm ---Then he gets Eric Musselman.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

PRJ, why do you say this above.  We will have to come up with around $6.5M plus his buyout to sway Beard.

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: moses_007 on April 05, 2019, 11:12:46 pm ---
  Who here had heard of Chad Morris before we announced him?  I had no idea who he was...

--- End quote ---

For real?  You must not get out much, or need to get out more. 

Morris was a hot name, and very highly regarded around the country.  Some questioned him taking the SMU job.  But he made strides there, and he sure as heck needs to make some big strides here.

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: Shinobi Wan Kenobi on April 05, 2019, 11:12:25 pm ---Because Arkansas can outbid Tech or some other reason?

--- End quote ---

We can outbid them plus this program has more upside. History, facilities, money etc.

Arkansas is a sleeping giant.

PRJ

moses_007:

--- Quote from: RockyMtnHog on April 05, 2019, 11:22:28 pm ---As long as the BOT is in charge of this hire, we are not outbidding anybody.  It's their way or the highway.

--- End quote ---
We won't get in a bidding war with TT for Chris Beard, so you can X him off your want list.  TT has already said they will pay whatever it takes to keep him.

We won't pay even $3.5 million for a basketball coach.  Expect one in the $2- $2.5 million range...

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: RockyMtnHog on April 05, 2019, 11:24:35 pm ---PRJ, why do you say this above.  We will have to come up with around $6.5M plus his buyout to sway Beard.

--- End quote ---

It's this simple. Hunter is a basketball guy. He spent a year observing and has decided there is no reason this program isn't a top 5, top 10 program year in and year out. He is wanting to renovate and improve Bud Walton Arena. He knows that to get back to top 5, top 10 year in and year out, we have to have a top 5 coach. Tommy Boyer also holds those same beliefs. And Warren Stephens and family are very close with Chris Beard. Chris Beard has been the very top choice from the moment he decided to fire Mike.

All this other stuff, Marshall, etc has been smoke. Chris Beard is one, two and three up until he either says yes or turns us down.

PRJ

farmhawg:

--- Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2019, 10:27:49 pm ---Hunter Yuratool has done a terrible job. Has completely taken away the fan base from the Spring game. Terrible

--- End quote ---
You really need to go away.

IAMHogholio:

--- Quote from: oldbooniehog on April 05, 2019, 10:38:17 pm ---My "agenda" is nothing more than almost 50 years of watching Hog sports.

And almost EVERY SINGLE TIME that national prominence, respect or reaching "the next level" is at stake, Arkansas will drop the game winning INT in the end zone against Miami, will miss multiple game winning field goals against Texas, will commit the Stoernover, will blow the 2nd half against UCLA, will hire Pelphrey, will let a National Championship fly ball bounce harmlessly on the turf, will get called for pass interference vs SMU, will get called for a penalty against Florida twice, will fumble a punt into the end zone in the SEC title game, will give up a 4th down pass vs Texas in the Game of the Century, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

With the lone exception in basketball in 1994, Arkansas is one long painful tale of would have, could have, should have, almost but not quite.

This coach hire will be no different.

--- End quote ---

I feel your pain brother.  Just like Terry Francona, Joe Maddon, and Nolan and Bobby P showed here, curses are not real but talent and hard work are.the way to the top.

If we have a GOB, PTB, SDIC, AHOLE network that keep good things from happening, its their meddling and _______ measuring that are at fault.   

I hope Razorback athletics are growing out of that for all our sake.   But if we dont have success its the fault of the administration, coaches, and players.   There is no curse.   Just a history of overachieving and falling a yard short in the big game.

WooPig.  Hope lives eternal.

moses_007:
Can Michael Jordan coach?  Darn, he'd be able to recruit the socks off Calipari, Coach K and Williams.

Scottie Pippen could be one of his assistants.

TebowHater:

--- Quote from: moses_007 on April 06, 2019, 12:06:21 am ---Can Michael Jordan coach?  Darn, he'd be able to recruit the socks off Calipari, Coach K and Williams.

Scottie Pippen could be one of his assistants.

--- End quote ---

And Jimmy Dykes as one of the others!

moses_007:
I wonder if there might be some unemployed NBA coaches that might be interested in our job.  It would help recruiting to have a well known former NBA coach to prepare our boys for the next level...

checkraiser88:

--- Quote from: moses_007 on April 06, 2019, 12:25:21 am ---I wonder if there might be some unemployed NBA coaches that might be interested in our job.  It would help recruiting to have a well known former NBA coach to prepare our boys for the next level...

--- End quote ---

I think I read UCLA is quietly probing Donovan's status

The OTR:
Jimmy how many smoke screens have we had so far and can you break down the value of smoke screens for the folks at home, how it helps a coaching search for have four or five before landing that big fish from deep waters?  You and I understand it but apparently a lot of folks don't.

TNhawgfan:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 05, 2019, 11:30:56 pm ---It's this simple. Hunter is a basketball guy. He spent a year observing and has decided there is no reason this program isn't a top 5, top 10 program year in and year out. He is wanting to renovate and improve Bud Walton Arena. He knows that to get back to top 5, top 10 year in and year out, we have to have a top 5 coach. Tommy Boyer also holds those same beliefs. And Warren Stephens and family are very close with Chris Beard. Chris Beard has been the very top choice from the moment he decided to fire Mike.

All this other stuff, Marshall, etc has been smoke. Chris Beard is one, two and three up until he either says yes or turns us down.

PRJ

--- End quote ---
So they learned nothing from putting all their eggs in the Gus basket? Typical

jphog24:
This search is just like football, shoot for the moon and see what Beard says. Just like with Gus at AU. We will end up with Mus which is like hiring Morris.

Darth Hogus:
Its Jason Kidd

jgcat4:

--- End quote ---
THIS ^^^^^^^

ifghog:

--- Quote from: jphog24 on April 06, 2019, 07:30:30 am ---This search is just like football, shoot for the moon and see what Beard says. Just like with Gus at AU. We will end up with Mus which is like hiring Morris.

--- End quote ---
If that's the case then we will have a very good hire then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View