RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Pace yourselves...

(1/1)

Hollywood870:
I'd say this search goes at least another week, if not two. Two weeks waiting on an answer from Beard if they win it all. One week if they don't.

ConwayHog:
Taking our time on finding a new coach? That makes no sense at all

donkey:
Name the last coach to win it all and immediately leave for another school...  For that matter, name the last coach who went to the final four and left for another school that same year. 

Jim Harris:

--- Quote from: donkey on April 05, 2019, 02:10:30 pm ---Name the last coach to win it all and immediately leave for another school...  For that matter, name the last coach who went to the final four and left for another school that same year. 

--- End quote ---

Last coach I remember who won it all and then hinted he might leave, thus getting a huge raise, was Rollie Massamino at Villanova, who made public overtures about the Arkansas job so he could get a big bump in salary in 1985.

Kevin:

--- Quote from: Jim Harris on April 05, 2019, 02:11:59 pm ---Last coach I remember who won it all and then hinted he might leave, thus getting a huge raise, was Rollie Massamino at Villanova, who made public overtures about the Arkansas job so he could get a big bump in salary in 1985.

--- End quote ---

sounds familiar

donkey:
Roy Williams left Kansas to go to North Carolina in 2003 after Kansas got beat in the championship game.  I'm sure it's happened before, but I don't see it happening now in our situation. 

woodhog14:

--- Quote from: donkey on April 05, 2019, 02:23:43 pm ---Roy Williams left Kansas to go to North Carolina in 2003 after Kansas got beat in the championship game.  I'm sure it's happened before, but I don't see it happening now in our situation. 

--- End quote ---
Roy Williams was also a North Carolina boy. Played there, was an assistant coach for several years under Dean Smith. He was going home, that's the difference. I still think Beard is somewhat interested because he could've easily said no already.

parallaxpig:

--- Quote from: woodhog14 on April 05, 2019, 03:00:31 pm ---Roy Williams was also a North Carolina boy. Played there, was an assistant coach for several years under Dean Smith. He was going home, that's the difference. I still think Beard is somewhat interested because he could've easily said no already.

--- End quote ---

Nobody has talked to Beard yet. They have been talking to his agent. Agents never say no.

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: donkey on April 05, 2019, 02:10:30 pm ---Name the last coach to win it all and immediately leave for another school...  For that matter, name the last coach who went to the final four and left for another school that same year.

--- End quote ---
somebody could have hired Porter Moser.

woodhog14:

--- Quote from: parallaxpig on April 05, 2019, 03:08:49 pm ---Nobody has talked to Beard yet. They have been talking to his agent. Agents never say no.

--- End quote ---
You think that Beard hasn't been in contact with his agent? Come on...

parallaxpig:

--- Quote from: woodhog14 on April 05, 2019, 03:10:41 pm ---You think that Beard hasn't been in contact with his agent? Come on...

--- End quote ---

Come on man. He is trying to win NC.

woodhog14:

--- Quote from: parallaxpig on April 05, 2019, 03:11:59 pm ---Come on man. He is trying to win NC.

--- End quote ---
So? Agents still talk to their clients no matter what the situation is.

porkerfinger:
Here's hoping for a Texas Tech loss on Saturday and a new coach introduction by Wednesday.

parallaxpig:

--- Quote from: porkerfinger on April 05, 2019, 03:25:10 pm ---Here's hoping for a Texas Tech loss on Saturday and a new coach introduction by Wednesday.

--- End quote ---

Hope ainít a plan.

rhames:
The search goes no later than next Tuesday.

Hollywood870:

--- Quote from: rhames on April 05, 2019, 03:32:08 pm ---The search goes no later than next Tuesday.

--- End quote ---
OK

rhames:

--- Quote from: Hollywood870 on April 05, 2019, 03:34:21 pm ---OK

--- End quote ---

Want to bet? Common sense says we are striking out which means we will get down to coaches who will be eager to take our job. It won't go past Tuesday

Biggus Piggus:
Let me just say this: I'm done.

This is a gigantic cluster. It is officially that. The U of A is seriously dysfunctional when it comes to coach-hiring. And Jeff Long screwed us financially for years.

Formula Hog:
Well said, Piggus.

davehog:
Beard will be replacing 4 starters next year at TT and doesn't have elite/one & done talent lined up.

His stock may never get this high again if he remains at TT or at the very least it will be 2-3 years provided he can reload. 

I suspect Beard's agent is telling him this - capitalize on this moment because it may not ever come around again.   

PorkSoda:

--- Quote from: woodhog14 on April 05, 2019, 03:10:41 pm ---You think that Beard hasn't been in contact with his agent? Come on...

--- End quote ---
even if beard talks to his agent, the agent would still not say no, because the higher we offer, the more leverage he has for a raise at his current school.

jump judy.

aar0n:

--- Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 05, 2019, 03:37:34 pm ---Let me just say this: I'm done.

This is a gigantic cluster. It is officially that. The U of A is seriously dysfunctional when it comes to coach-hiring. And Jeff Long screwed us financially for years.

--- End quote ---

What a sad, sad group here. 

People, the job had to be listed for at least 10 days no matter the interest; only way around that is if the governor himself waives it.   

People acting like this is the end of the world is why this site has a bad name.   A bunch of Chicken Littles around here, everything is just fine and going according to plan.

elkhog:

--- Quote from: Hollywood870 on April 05, 2019, 02:05:30 pm ---I'd say this search goes at least another week, if not two. Two weeks waiting on an answer from Beard if they win it all. One week if they don't.

--- End quote ---

Two weeks is too long.   Even Pitino may be taken by then.

elkhog:

--- Quote from: Kevin on April 05, 2019, 02:13:50 pm ---sounds familiar

--- End quote ---

Even prophetic. 

elkhog:

--- Quote from: woodhog14 on April 05, 2019, 03:00:31 pm ---Roy Williams was also a North Carolina boy. Played there, was an assistant coach for several years under Dean Smith. He was going home, that's the difference. I still think Beard is somewhat interested because he could've easily said no already.

--- End quote ---

As others have said, he is using us for a raise.

jbott:

--- Quote from: Jim Harris on April 05, 2019, 02:11:59 pm ---Last coach I remember who won it all and then hinted he might leave, thus getting a huge raise, was Rollie Massamino at Villanova, who made public overtures about the Arkansas job so he could get a big bump in salary in 1985.

--- End quote ---

agree.  this just does not happen.

Randohoggie:

--- Quote from: elkhog on April 05, 2019, 04:18:55 pm ---As others have said, he is using us for a raise.

--- End quote ---

How does this make sense?  He's made the Elite 8 and the Final Four the last two years.  He doesn't need Arkansas to get a raise.  He's getting a raise no matter what. 

26.2Hog:

--- End quote ---

Rollie really tapered off after that natty, won 20 games only 3 times in the next 16 years.

Pancetta:
If Chris Beard wants to go to Texas, he could always take this job with the Lou Holtz caveat that he can walk with no buyout if he goes to Texas. That gets him his raise and we pay his TT buyout and heís free to leave when and if TX comes open. Thatís the only thing I can think thatís going to get him here especially if theyíre screwing around and saying the basketball coach canít make more than the football coach.

pigroots:
I'm not sure we have handled this poorly. I am sure the breaks have gone against us. Anderson had to be let go. We were stagnant. No one really expected TT to be in the final 4. We didn't settle. We are chasing the big fish. If we don't get him we have a fall back. In the opinion of many he would have been a good 1st Choice. (not mine) The misinformation is not coming from the AD but from message boards. It has been handled quietly with a lot of interviews (or so it seems). Our bad break was overachieving on the part of the coach we'd like to hire

Wildhog:

--- Quote from: Randohoggie on April 05, 2019, 04:31:38 pm ---How does this make sense?  He's made the Elite 8 and the Final Four the last two years.  He doesn't need Arkansas to get a raise.  He's getting a raise no matter what. 

--- End quote ---

Just another negotiating tool.  He can say, "Arkansas has offered X dollars, can you beat it?"

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: Wildhog on April 05, 2019, 05:03:02 pm ---Just another negotiating tool.  He can say, "Arkansas has offered X dollars, can you beat it?"

--- End quote ---
Yeah, never turn down leverage.

Wildhog:
In the SEC, if you ain't a football school, you damn well better be a basketball school.  Sure, we're an elite baseball program, but no one gives a darn about college baseball.

We need to be prepared to spend Kentucky-type money on this hire.  Quit hem-hawing around with figures that Tech might be able to match and make Beard a top 4 paid coach in the country. 

Randohoggie:

--- Quote from: Wildhog on April 05, 2019, 05:03:02 pm ---Just another negotiating tool.  He can say, "Arkansas has offered X dollars, can you beat it?"

--- End quote ---

When you already could have your pick of any job that comes open, I doubt that adds much leverage.  TT knows it is going to have to pay up.  Everyone knows.  He is the hottest name in college coaching. 

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: Wildhog on April 05, 2019, 05:13:39 pm ---In the SEC, if you ain't a football school, you damn well better be a basketball school.  Sure, we're an elite baseball program, but no one gives a darn about college baseball.

We need to be prepared to spend Kentucky-type money on this hire.  Quit hem-hawing around with figures that Tech might be able to match and make Beard a top 4 paid coach in the country.

--- End quote ---

You could argue at least 8 SEC schools are running 'elite' baseball programs.

Iwastherein1969:

--- Quote from: donkey on April 05, 2019, 02:23:43 pm ---Roy Williams left Kansas to go to North Carolina in 2003 after Kansas got beat in the championship game.  I'm sure it's happened before, but I don't see it happening now in our situation.

--- End quote ---
Roy is 'powder blue through and through'. Roy really was not at home at a God forsaken place like KU which has a multi-coloured bird with a Jimmy Durante snoz at it's mascot...to borrow a line(with a couple of changes) from the great Eddie Sutton, Roy would have crawled to Chapel Hill for that job.

Wildhog:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 05, 2019, 06:26:03 pm ---You could argue at least 8 SEC schools are running 'elite' baseball programs.

--- End quote ---

Not really the point of my post, but you're right.

Fayette Villains:

--- End quote ---

And what if they can't?

Wildhog:

--- Quote from: Fayette Villains on April 05, 2019, 06:33:54 pm ---And what if they can't?

--- End quote ---

Hopefully very good things happen for us.

Fayette Villains:

--- Quote from: Wildhog on April 05, 2019, 06:34:46 pm ---Hopefully very good things happen for us.

--- End quote ---

Yep. That's why we're holding out to offer. I don't think we'd be waiting this long if someone somewhere didn't think we had a legitimate shot. Texas Tech is already going to have to give Beard the most they can; he doesn't need the leverage that an Arkansas offer would provide, at least in the same way that, say, Gus Malzahn did.

Basically, I think that if Arkansas offers $6 million and Tech offers $4 million, he comes here. I have no idea if those will be the offers, though. As long as a job like LSU or Arizona or Texas doesn't come open in the next few days, it's hard to argue against waiting and trying next week.

lumphog:

--- Quote from: davehog on April 05, 2019, 03:40:28 pm ---Beard will be replacing 4 starters next year at TT and doesn't have elite/one & done talent lined up.

His stock may never get this high again if he remains at TT or at the very least it will be 2-3 years provided he can reload. 

I suspect Beard's agent is telling him this - capitalize on this moment because it may not ever come around again.   

--- End quote ---

Chicken Dinner

Weíre winning this one. Beardís a LOCK

DoneDeal

a shady hog:

--- Quote from: davehog on April 05, 2019, 03:40:28 pm ---Beard will be replacing 4 starters next year at TT and doesn't have elite/one & done talent lined up.

--- End quote ---
This actually makes me question his recruiting ability

Hogs-n-Roses:
May not just be Beard we're waiting to talk to.

Dropkick:

--- Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on April 05, 2019, 07:40:17 pm ---May not just be Beard we're waiting to talk to.

--- End quote ---
If you mean Bennett, I have been wondering why his name hasnít been mentioned much.

HognitiveDissonance:

--- Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on April 05, 2019, 06:29:41 pm ---Roy is 'powder blue through and through'. Roy really was not at home at a God forsaken place like KU which has a multi-coloured bird with a Jimmy Durante snoz at it's mascot...to borrow a line(with a couple of changes) from the great Eddie Sutton, Roy would have crawled to Chapel Hill for that job.

--- End quote ---
I remember when Roy said on CBS national TV that he 'didn't give a damn about the North Carolina job'.

A few weeks later he was the North Carolina coach.

I'm not bashing Roy at all; there's no great way to answer these questions. And this interview took place right after Kansas had been knocked out of the tournament, a few minutes after.

What you can learn though is that what people say publicly often has no bearing on what they do privately. Sometimes you have to give certain answers or talk a certain way. It's part of the job, it's high profile.

JONAS:

--- Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 05, 2019, 03:37:34 pm ---Let me just say this: I'm done.

--- End quote ---

You got that right. 

Randohoggie:

--- End quote ---

lol

Hogginintheville:

--- End quote ---

This time we close the deal. Jay Wright. Done deal!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version
Mobile View