RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

UCLA hires Dixon

(1/2) > >>

porque:
That's a good hire.

JOKERHOG:

--- Quote from: porque on April 03, 2019, 11:20:43 am ---That's a good hire.

--- End quote ---

The word out of FW will be that Beard was waiting to see if TCU opened up...

porkrindjimmy:
TCU would be a nice landing spot for Mike.

PRJ

farmhawg:
Very true.

JOKERHOG:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 03, 2019, 11:27:22 am ---TCU would be a nice landing spot for Mike.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

I do agree with that...

Hog Fan...DOH!:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 03, 2019, 11:27:22 am ---TCU would be a nice landing spot for Mike.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

Absolutely.  Great job.   

FineAsSwine:
Wonder if we tried to go after Dixon?

Atlhogfan1:
Heading from alma mater back home for Dixon.  Good as this should have no affect on our search including the now open TCU job.

I like PRJ's suggestion IF TCU is a program where MA could get JC transfers in without issues.  TCU has upgraded their facilities and are trying to compete in the Big 12. 

thebignasty:
UCLA is a top 5 job.

Anyone feel like Dixon is a top 5 coach?

porque:

--- Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 03, 2019, 11:30:35 am ---Heading from alma mater back home for Dixon.  Good as this should have no affect on our search including the now open TCU job.

I like PRJ's suggestion IF TCU is a program where MA could get JC transfers in without issues.  TCU has upgraded their facilities and are trying to compete in the Big 12. 

--- End quote ---

Not true.  I just read an article about possible candidates for the TCU job and Musselman was on the list.  His price just went up.

Also, Mike's name was not on the list.

Here's the list: Eleven potential candidates for TCU if Dixon leaves: Ryan Miller, Scott Cross, Chris Odgen, Gregg Marshall, Thad Matta, Mark Turgeon, Mike Rhoades, Earl Grant, Eric Musselman, Craig Smith and Matt McMahon.

Screamster:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 11:33:20 am ---UCLA is a top 5 job.

--- End quote ---
In their conference top 5?

MakingPlays:

PRJ

--- End quote ---

Was thinking same thing. 

TCU or Va Tech both seem like good fits to me.  He'd probably be more interested in TCU though from a regional standpoint.

GlassofSwine:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 11:33:20 am ---UCLA is a top 5 job.

--- End quote ---

Not anymore, probably a top 20 job. I wouldn't put it in the top 10 today though.

Atlhogfan1:

--- Quote from: porque on April 03, 2019, 11:34:27 am ---Not true.  I just read an article about possible candidates for the TCU job and Musselman was on the list.  His price just went up.

Also, Mike's name was not on the list.

Here's the list: Eleven potential candidates for TCU if Dixon leaves: Ryan Miller, Scott Cross, Chris Odgen, Gregg Marshall, Thad Matta, Mark Turgeon, Mike Rhoades, Earl Grant, Eric Musselman, Craig Smith and Matt McMahon.

--- End quote ---

I have no worry about TCU working from a similar realistic list as we are.  An article can list anyone they want. 

--- End quote ---

It's a top 5 all time program.  Is it a top 5 job right now? 

No I don't in regards to Dixon but he wins and is from So Cal.  It fits. 

The_Iceman:
Anyone think the only reason Dixon got the job is because of his slicked back hair?

Dwight_K_Shrute:
Solid hire.  Will do well there, great guy, personality etc and can coach.  Did a very good job at Pitt and good at TCU, hard place to win.  LA guy.

BossHawg_Outlaw:

--- Quote from: MakingPlays on April 03, 2019, 11:35:28 am ---Was thinking same thing. 

TCU or Va Tech both seem like good fits to me.  He'd probably be more interested in TCU though from a regional standpoint.

--- End quote ---

I don't think he has a shot at either.  Most fans would rather hire an up and comer over someone who failed and got fired.  If you are either of those schools would you rather have Mike or someone like Musselman.

thebignasty:
If y'all think that lowly of UCLA, might be time to adjust expectations around here.  UCLA has made the Sweet 16 11 times since we last made it.

wildturkey8:

PRJ

--- End quote ---
Jimmy:  What are your concerns about Gregg Marshall?

COCHISE:
So we’re the #1 HC opening in the country?

JOKERHOG:

--- End quote ---

His team scored 44 points last night in losing to a bad texass team...

Muleriderhog:

--- Quote from: wildturkey8 on April 03, 2019, 11:42:02 am ---Jimmy:  What are your concerns about Gregg Marshall?

--- End quote ---
He peaked four years ago and is on a downward slide. I hope we dont hire him.

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: JOKERHOG on April 03, 2019, 11:44:45 am ---His team scored 44 points last night in losing to a bad texass team...

--- End quote ---
Feel like hogville would be pretty pessimistic about Dixon if he was our hire, yet he just got a job that I think any objective person would realize is a significantly better gig than ours.

Should put the fear in us.

Atlhogfan1:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 11:40:07 am ---If y'all think that lowly of UCLA, might be time to adjust expectations around here.  UCLA has made the Sweet 16 11 times since we last made it.

--- End quote ---

I don't think lowly of UCLA.  They are the basketball brand in California and in the Pac 12 especially with Arizona's fade.  Obviously surrounded by recruits and has the pull to recruit anywhere.  Facilities have been upgraded.  Get paid millions to live in So Cal. The job has downsides too.  Fans have the highest of expectations but don't always show up.  LA has so much going on including in sports UCLA basketball isn't the prime focus.  The Pac 12 is awful.  Dixon has shown to be a winner wherever he has coached.  I don't see this as a bad hire.  None of the current top coaches were going to leave their situation.  NBA coaches like Donovan or Stevens will have options like UK or Duke perhaps in a few years if they want to come back to college.  Mark Few will not leave Spokane. 

BossHawg_Outlaw:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 11:48:22 am ---Feel like hogville would be pretty pessimistic about Dixon if he was our hire, yet he just got a job that I think any objective person would realize is a significantly better gig than ours.

Should put the fear in us.

--- End quote ---

Yep lower the expectations a little bit.

STLhawg:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26431639/sources-ucla-talks-tcu-dixon-job

I guess since we have talked to Sampson we have hired him too?  ;)

WooPig92:
It's a long way down from Cal to Dixon.. UCLA fans have to be depressed

porque:

--- Quote from: STLhawg on April 03, 2019, 11:53:49 am ---http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26431639/sources-ucla-talks-tcu-dixon-job

I guess since we have talked to Sampson we have hired him too?  ;)

--- End quote ---

It was reported by a basketball writer.  Can't remember his name.

PorkPontiff:

--- Quote from: COCHISE on April 03, 2019, 11:44:33 am ---So we’re the #1 HC opening in the country?

--- End quote ---

As long as Texas does not open up, perhaps so! This UCLA hiring equals good news, as long as it becomes official and not speculative.

STLhawg:

--- Quote from: porque on April 03, 2019, 11:57:41 am ---It was reported by a basketball writer.  Can't remember his name.

--- End quote ---
And we have had a few say Arkansas has hired a coach too.  LOL  Maybe the writer is just trying to be the "winner" because most believe they will end up with Dixon.

hogwood:

--- Quote from: porque on April 03, 2019, 11:20:43 am ---That's a good hire.

--- End quote ---

Yeah... For us.

BuddyHog71:
Lots of coaches heading back home to coach.  Who will be our homecoming coach?

WilsonHog:
UCLA hasn’t hired him yet. Dixon’s buyout to leave Fort Worth is reportedly $8 million, which his agent is trying to negotiate down. UCLA would have to pay the rest.

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: WilsonHog on April 03, 2019, 12:20:37 pm ---UCLA hasn’t hired him yet. Dixon’s buyout to leave Fort Worth is reportedly $8 million, which his agent is trying to negotiate down. UCLA would have to pay the rest.

--- End quote ---

So, UCLA is maybe going to pay a boat load of money to hire Dixon away from TCU out of the NIT.

Would hate to see their other options.

online-with-swine:
UCLA going with Dixon would give us more time to explore potential Beard interest.  It also takes that out as a landing spot for Musselman.  I also don’t think the other openings are looking at our candidates.  Means we still have time to assess our options.

go hogues:

--- Quote from: BuddyHog71 on April 03, 2019, 12:11:49 pm ---Lots of coaches heading back home to coach.  Who will be our homecoming coach?

--- End quote ---
Hopefully no one.

That does not usually work out well for us.

Dwight_K_Shrute:
Reading things have his a snag with this.

Dixon has a hefty buyout, UCLA doesn't want to pay it.  TCU won't drop or reduce it. $8 mil from what I gather.

Could mean Muss in play for them

BR:

--- Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2019, 04:35:10 pm ---Reading things have his a snag with this.

Dixon has a hefty buyout, UCLA doesn't want to pay it.  TCU won't drop or reduce it. $8 mil from what I gather.

Could mean Muss in play for them

--- End quote ---
I just read this also on 3-4 accounts on Twitter. So UCLA is back Open.

STLhawg:
Like I said earlier, UCLA hasn't hired anyone.

hoglady:
Bet TCU works on that buyout.

Not sure I'd want a coach who didn't want to be there anymore.

azhog10:
Called this one. David Patrick will be his lead recruiter. UCLA basketball is back.

husker71:
David Patrick is hc at Cal Riverside now. 

elksnort:

--- End quote ---
NO

BR:
Now SI is reporting done deal.. https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/03/jamie-dixon-hired-as-ucla-new-head-coach-news-tcu

Dwight_K_Shrute:
Whew

FASTEST 40:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 11:40:07 am ---If y'all think that lowly of UCLA, might be time to adjust expectations around here.  UCLA has made the Sweet 16 11 times since we last made it.

--- End quote ---
OUCH...that doesn't feel good.

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: wildturkey8 on April 03, 2019, 11:42:02 am ---Jimmy:  What are your concerns about Gregg Marshall?

--- End quote ---

Deer in the headlights. I think he has been exposed since his team got out of the Missouri Valley. Would be a lateral hire in my opinion.

PRJ

mjsphd:

--- Quote from: BR on April 03, 2019, 07:40:00 pm ---Now SI is reporting done deal.. https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/03/jamie-dixon-hired-as-ucla-new-head-coach-news-tcu

--- End quote ---

I don't see a time on that story.  Reports this evening were that UCLA was not going to pay the buyout.  Maybe it has been resolved.  I guess we'll see.

azhog10:

--- Quote from: husker71 on April 03, 2019, 05:51:28 pm ---David Patrick is hc at Cal Riverside now.

--- End quote ---
He won’t be if Dixon goes to UCLA I’m told. Will follow due to the money.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2019, 11:38:46 am ---Anyone think the only reason Dixon got the job is because of his slicked back hair?

--- End quote ---

If that is important to them they never should have got rid of Steve Lavin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View