RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Mick Cronin UCLA

(1/2) > >>

Ozarkhog05:
I believe he is on the UCLA radar. I've always felt he was a great coach and was hoping we would go after him when Anderson was hired. Any chance we have reached out to his agent? His teams always play very blue collar and tough.

Formula Hog:
Would be about as useful as Kevin Cronin from REO Speedwagon....

King Kong:
I like him. He has one of the most unexplainable NCAAT records.

Really bad

userpick:
He’s signing a long term deal with Cincy.

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: King Kong on April 01, 2019, 10:56:22 pm ---I like him. He has one of the most unexplainable NCAAT records.

Really bad

--- End quote ---

One Sweet 16 back in 2012. That’s it. Less NCAA tournament success than Mike Anderson. But, yeah, it’s weird because they alwaya seem well-rounded and tough. They’re usually great in regular season as well

ChicoHog:

--- Quote from: Formula Hog on April 01, 2019, 10:46:14 pm ---Would be about as useful as Kevin Cronin from REO Speedwagon....

--- End quote ---
He was great 30 years ago but his voice has pretty much gone to s***.

Mick Cronin is a good coach but man they have laid some eggs in the tournament.  I have never been impressed by their offensive systems but they do play good defense.  I would not hire him but I can see why some would think he is a good candidate. 

RedBird5:
Man, I heard it from a friend who, heard it from friend who, heard it from another....

IronMountainHog:
If we are getting past all the ones we thought we would get, how about Cronin? He is 296-146 at Cinncinnati and 332-164 overall. He has taken UC to the NCAA Tournament nine straight years. Was a finalist for UCLA job that went to Dixon. Of course I want Rick Pitino but we have too many cowboys around her on their moral high horses.

cosmodrum:
I thought he was the likely guy for the VT job after Buzz left...

BR:
He will be at UCLA if Dixon can’t get buyout worked out.

King Kong:
Much better than some names mentioned

Unnamed Source:
Better than Alford

jbott:
I would be very happy with him

vandybuff:
IMO excellent coach. Any program would be lucky to have him!

Hawg Red:
Won’t have the NCAA success many want, but his teams are tough and well-coached. His first-weekend track record in March just doesn’t line up with how his teams perform in the regular season and how they play. If we’re getting through this many candidates with no luck, he’s a slam dunk.

Etowah:
Not the sexy name and hire...but he can coach our team would always be prepared.

I would not be unhappy.

Better than several I have heard or read.

He is the not the hot name right now like Beard...but he is every bit as good.

colbs:

--- Quote from: Hawg Red on April 03, 2019, 07:52:26 pm ---Won’t have the NCAA success many want, but his teams are tough and well-coached. His first-weekend track record in March just doesn’t line up with how his teams perform in the regular season and how they play. If we’re getting through this many candidates with no luck, he’s a slam dunk.

--- End quote ---
it is very puzzling .

azhog10:

--- Quote from: Hawg Red on April 03, 2019, 07:52:26 pm ---Won’t have the NCAA success many want, but his teams are tough and well-coached. His first-weekend track record in March just doesn’t line up with how his teams perform in the regular season and how they play. If we’re getting through this many candidates with no luck, he’s a slam dunk.

--- End quote ---
Huggins made the NCAAT 14 straight years. He only made it to the second weekend or better 4 times. Not sure it’s a Cronin thing but a Cincy thing.

SooieGeneris:

--- Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 03, 2019, 06:35:32 pm ---If we are getting past all the ones we thought we would get, how about Cronin? He is 296-146 at Cinncinnati and 332-164 overall. He has taken UC to the NCAA Tournament nine straight years. Was a finalist for UCLA job that went to Dixon. Of course I want Rick Pitino but we have too many cowboys around her on their moral high horses.

--- End quote ---

Pitino does have a way with the ladies apparently and Nolan did give him a pair of cowboy boots once upon a time.. Plus he was at Louisville at the same time as Petrino.

The women's volleyball team had to have 24/7 security around their dorm..

Seriously, we could do a lot worse than Cronin. I would take him over most of the names being bandied about behind Beard and Sampson.

East Clintwood:

--- Quote from: Unnamed Source on April 03, 2019, 07:22:11 pm ---Better than Alford

--- End quote ---

Homer Simpson would be better than Alford.

Boarmonger:

--- Quote from: East Clintwood on April 04, 2019, 02:19:32 am ---
Homer Simpson would be better than Alford.

--- End quote ---

azhog10:
I actually wouldn't mind Cronin of some of the names I've seen. Would take him over Alford, Pitino, and Fran.

(notOM)Rebel123:
Why do I keep humming “Wild Horses” and “Roll with the Changes”?

Pigsknuckles:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on April 04, 2019, 08:57:57 am ---Why do I keep humming “Wild Horses” and “Roll with the Changes”?

--- End quote ---

Nice references. :)

Atlhogfan1:

--- Quote from: IronMountainHog on April 03, 2019, 06:35:32 pm ---If we are getting past all the ones we thought we would get, how about Cronin? He is 296-146 at Cinncinnati and 332-164 overall. He has taken UC to the NCAA Tournament nine straight years. Was a finalist for UCLA job that went to Dixon. Of course I want Rick Pitino but we have too many cowboys around her on their moral high horses.

--- End quote ---

Can't win in the NCAAT. 

Hoosierhog:
Cronin's name might fit the situation:

"I heard it from a friend, who
heard it from a friend, who
heard it from another ..."

HogPharmer:
Heck of a closer...

runner645:
Cronin would a strong hire IMO if we don't get Musselman or Beard.   I don't think we have a shot at Beard...

BroyledNutts:

--- Quote from: HogPharmer on April 04, 2019, 11:26:56 am ---Heck of a closer...

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but where's his off speed ???

parallaxpig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLkQ7OPcfE0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bBJDLpbHks

You want opposite of MA, this guy is it.........

Nosboar Accubond:
Looks confirmed. Thoughts?

Pig in the Pokey:
meh

One more reason we were smart to wrap up Muss over the weekend rather than wait for Beard to finish.

Beaverfever:
The other day I heard someone say that Cincinnati hadn’t been to the Sweet 16 in 8 years.  I couldn’t believe that. 

JonClaudeVanHam:
Will win a ton of games and never get past the round of the 32. Fired after 4 years.

Muleriderhog:
We got a much better coach.

Beaverfever:
I think Cronin is a good coach but watching his teams play is frustrating.  I don’t know how you have a team that can’t shoot every year. 

Nosboar Accubond:

--- Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on April 09, 2019, 12:51:45 pm ---Will win a ton of games and never get past the round of the 32. Fired after 4 years.

--- End quote ---
Based on???

JonClaudeVanHam:

--- Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on April 09, 2019, 12:55:50 pm ---Based on???

--- End quote ---

1. Mick Cronin's entire coaching history. 2. UCLA's insane standards.

AugustaHog:
Yeah, not sure that they are going to be happy with this one.  He's a good coach, but hasn't really ever sustained top 10 level production.  That's what they are going to expect.  Cincy had plenty of resources.  I'd rather have Musselman and the unknown of what he could be over the more known commodity that is Cronin.  His NCAA tourney success has been limited as well.  In 13 years at Cincy he has 1 Sweet 16.  In fairness, though, the first few years there were pretty poor due to the mess they had from firing Huggy Bear and letting Andy Kennedy finish up the year.

311Hog:
not a bad hire, westcoast basketball seems on a down slope. Do you think he got 5 mil like they supposedly offered Barnes?

I am not sure if his "hard nosed Ohio" style will work in LA.

Hawg Red:
Bad hire by UCLA. Another Midwest guy who preaches toughness. Also a guy who has 1/3 of the Sweet 16 appearances as the guy they just fired. He won’t live up to their crazy high standards and he will hate trying to coach toughness into those Cali kids.

hogmolar:
6 years 24 million.  Wow we got a great deal

Seebs:

--- Quote from: hogmolar on April 09, 2019, 01:02:17 pm ---6 years 24 million.  Wow we got a great deal

--- End quote ---

yes, but living in California his take home will be $40K a year.

The_Iceman:
Why fire Alford for Cronin? I think Alford had some tough luck with the big recruiting classes he brought. He's better than given credit for.

HogPharmer:

--- Quote from: Seebs on April 09, 2019, 01:13:30 pm ---yes, but living in California his take home will be $40K a year.

--- End quote ---

Between this, Manny Machado, and Mike Trout, the State of California has hit the jackpot this year in their tax revenue...

Smithian:
I wouldn't have minded Cronin as a fall back, but Musselman is a better hire.

Biggus Piggus:

--- Quote from: Seebs on April 09, 2019, 01:13:30 pm ---yes, but living in California his take home will be $40K a year.

--- End quote ---

Slight exaggeration.

Nosboar Accubond:

--- Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on April 09, 2019, 12:56:54 pm ---1. Mick Cronin's entire coaching history. 2. UCLA's insane standards.

--- End quote ---
Agree

Seebs:

--- Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2019, 01:50:08 pm ---Slight exaggeration.

--- End quote ---
$42.75K with California emission rebate and solar panels.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View