RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Gregg Marshall Mega Thread

(1/35) > >>

Nosboar Accubond:
Commence...

Nosboar Accubond:
He 2.c?

RaisinHog:
At this point I would be estatic

UnknownNobody:
Marshall was on my original "wish list" just behind Mussleman.

In the last eight years he has been to the NCAAT 7 times including a Sweet 16 and a Final Four.

rtr:

--- Quote from: UnknownNobody on April 01, 2019, 10:05:21 pm ---Marshall was on my original "wish list" just behind Mussleman.

In the last eight years he has been to the NCAAT 7 times including a Sweet 16 and a Final Four.

--- End quote ---
At Wichita State, no less.

BuddyHog71:
Six posts?  Does this jusify ‘Mega’

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: rtr on April 01, 2019, 10:45:25 pm ---At Wichita State, no less.

--- End quote ---

Exactly

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: BuddyHog71 on April 01, 2019, 10:48:33 pm ---Six posts?  Does this jusify ‘Mega’

--- End quote ---

Build it and they will come...ya gotta start somewhere.

Here's an idea why don't you make an actual contribution to the conversation rather than sniping from the peanut gallery?

ImHogginIt:

--- Quote from: UnknownNobody on April 01, 2019, 10:05:21 pm ---Marshall was on my original "wish list" just behind Mussleman.

In the last eight years he has been to the NCAAT 7 times including a Sweet 16 and a Final Four.

--- End quote ---

Prior to Wichita he took Winthrop to the NCAA tournament 7 out of 9 years. He's a winner for sure

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 01, 2019, 11:03:22 pm ---Prior to Wichita he took Winthrop to the NCAA tournament 7 out of 9 years. He's a winner for sure

--- End quote ---

Agreed and he is an "active" coach not a "passive" coach we need that right now.

Hogmatic:
He is going to be expensive but I would be happy with him.  I would rather have Mussellman at less money, more upside, and have money to hire stud assistants

spehog:

--- Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on April 01, 2019, 10:00:06 pm ---Commence...

--- End quote ---

Wanted him 8 years ago. Better than EM

rtr:
Marshall is the more accomplished coach.

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: UnknownNobody on April 01, 2019, 10:05:21 pm ---Marshall was on my original "wish list" just behind Mussleman.

In the last eight years he has been to the NCAAT 7 times including a Sweet 16 and a Final Four.

--- End quote ---
made my original list, too. SAme list I still got

Beard, Buzz, Sampson, Musselman, Marshall. Only I'd put Muss ahead of Sampson now.

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 01, 2019, 11:10:36 pm ---made my original list, too. SAme list I still got

Beard, Buzz, Sampson, Musselman, Marshall. Only I'd put Muss ahead of Sampson now.

--- End quote ---

Mine was/is

   1. Musselman
   2. Marshall
   3. Beard

I didn't think we had a chance with Buzz and figured we would end up with Sampson.

HornedFrogHog:

--- Quote from: UnknownNobody on April 01, 2019, 11:13:55 pm ---Mine was/is

   1. Musselman
   2. Marshall
   3. Beard

I didn't think we had a chance with Buzz and figured we would end up with Sampson.

--- End quote ---

You should be institutionalized.

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: HornedFrogHog on April 01, 2019, 11:19:00 pm ---You should be institutionalized.

--- End quote ---

Awwwww....you are special aren't you.

 I know...I know I'm not supposed to use the term "retarded" but hey if the Crocs fit.

HornedFrogHog:

--- Quote from: UnknownNobody on April 01, 2019, 11:29:31 pm ---Awwwww....you are special aren't you.

 I know...I know I'm not supposed to use the term "retarded" but hey if the Crocs fit.

--- End quote ---

Could not be farther from the truth - but sure, I must have hit a bit close to home with that one.

In that case, care to rationalize how you could ever put Musselman ahead of Beard especially, but even Marshall for that matter?

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: HornedFrogHog on April 01, 2019, 11:44:06 pm ---Could not be farther from the truth - but sure, I must have hit a bit close to home with that one.

In that case, care to rationalize how you could ever put Musselman ahead of Beard especially, but even Marshall for that matter?

--- End quote ---

No, I'll refrain from engaging further with you.

The Boar War:

--- Quote from: UnknownNobody on April 01, 2019, 11:13:55 pm ---Mine was/is

   1. Musselman
   2. Marshall
   3. Beard

I didn't think we had a chance with Buzz and figured we would end up with Sampson.

--- End quote ---

Sell me on Musselman.  I’ve not watched him coach but looking at his record it seems that whenever he plays a ranked team (once or twice a season) he loses to them.  What am I missing?

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: The Boar War on April 02, 2019, 12:01:44 am ---Sell me on Musselman.  I’ve not watched him coach but looking at his record it seems that whenever he plays a ranked team (once or twice a season) he loses to them.  What am I missing?

--- End quote ---

He would absolutely melt over SEC officiating. Lots of F bombs, possibly slews of Technical fouls. Maybe fight Pearl and Cuonzo..at the same time.

On this alone, it's the perfect hire.

PRJ

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: The Boar War on April 02, 2019, 12:01:44 am ---Sell me on Musselman.  I’ve not watched him coach but looking at his record it seems that whenever he plays a ranked team (once or twice a season) he loses to them.  What am I missing?

--- End quote ---

I watched Nevada play several times the last few years and like his style of play. He is an experienced coach, has been a HC in the NBA, an Assistant in the SEC.

At Nevada he has taken his teams to the NCAAT 3 of the last 4 years making the Sweet 16 last year.

He is an active coach during games much like Nolan was and he recruits.

https://amp.rgj.com/amp/622024002

The Boar War:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 02, 2019, 12:05:41 am ---He would absolutely melt over SEC officiating. Lots of F bombs, possibly slews of Technical fouls. Maybe fight Pearl and Cuonzo..at the same time.

On this alone, it's the perfect hire.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

I remember once when Pelphrey got so mad he kicked a hole in the court side advertising sign.  Lost pretty bad to Auburn that day.

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 02, 2019, 12:05:41 am ---He would absolutely melt over SEC officiating. Lots of F bombs, possibly slews of Technical fouls. Maybe fight Pearl and Cuonzo..at the same time.

On this alone, it's the perfect hire.

PRJ

--- End quote ---
just like me if i was on a sideline. i'd melt and wanna lay hands

swinesation:
Nobody elaborating on Marshall's accomplishments/strengths? Must means he's our next coach.

jbott:
CAREER RECORD (entering 2018-19 season):
Overall: 480-181 (.726), 21st Season
At Wichita State: 286-98 (.745), 12th Season
TITLES:
NCAA Tournament Bids: 14 (1999-02, 2005-07, 2012-18)
NCAA Final Four: 1 (2013)
Other Postseason Bids: 3 (2009 CBI, 2010 NIT, 2011 NIT Champions)
Missouri Valley Conference Titles: 5 (2012, 2014-17)
Big South Conference Titles: 6 (1999, 2001-02, 2005-07)
MVC Tournament Titles: 2 (2014, 2017)
Big South Tournament Titles: 7 (1999-02, 2005-07)
AWARDS:
National Coach of the Year: 2014
Mid-Major National Coach of the Year: 2007
MVC Coach of the Year: 3 (2012-14)
Big South Coach of the Year: 4 (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007)

draftkings33:
Please no Marshall.  Horrible fit.  He's an angry short man

RazorPiggie:

--- Quote from: draftkings33 on April 02, 2019, 09:06:22 am ---Please no Marshall.  Horrible fit.  He's an angry short man

--- End quote ---

He's short?

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: draftkings33 on April 02, 2019, 09:06:22 am ---Please no Marshall.  Horrible fit.  He's an angry short man

--- End quote ---

He's definitely angry, but he's 6'2.

RedyorNot:

--- Quote from: UnknownNobody on April 02, 2019, 12:13:30 am ---I watched Nevada play several times the last few years and like his style of play. He is an experienced coach, has been a HC in the NBA, an Assistant in the SEC.

At Nevada he has taken his teams to the NCAAT 3 of the last 4 years making the Sweet 16 last year.

He is an active coach during games much like Nolan was and he recruits.

https://amp.rgj.com/amp/622024002



--- End quote ---

He does not recruit, his teams are made up of transfers. Google his name and read the article on “3 Reasons Musselman Will Stay” and it will break it down for you. He may be able to do that in whatever conference Nevada is in but it wont cut it in the SEC.

010HogFan:

--- Quote from: RedyorNot on April 02, 2019, 09:13:18 am ---He does not recruit, his teams are made up of transfers. Google his name and read the article on “3 Reasons Musselman Will Stay” and it will break it down for you. He may be able to do that in whatever conference Nevada is in but it wont cut it in the SEC.

--- End quote ---

You have to recruit transfers, ya know....they don't just show up.

Pork Twain:
Marshall yes, Mussleman would not crack my top 5

joeyself:
I've only passed through Wichita on the way to Colorado 9 years ago, so I'm certainly no expert, but my impression is Fayetteville (or all NWA)>Wichita (and its metro area).  Marshall has been able to get good players to come to Wichita and play in a lesser conference...OR, he's been able to turn players that weren't highly regarded into winners. 

While there are other names that came to mind first (Beard, obviously, being one), I have no problem with it being Marshall based on what I now know.

JcS

Little Lady Back:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on April 02, 2019, 12:05:41 am ---He would absolutely melt over SEC officiating. Lots of F bombs, possibly slews of Technical fouls. Maybe fight Pearl and Cuonzo..at the same time.

On this alone, it's the perfect hire.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

I am definitely down with this!

BaconTheSaddleAgain:

--- Quote from: jbott on April 02, 2019, 09:04:52 am ---CAREER RECORD (entering 2018-19 season):
Overall: 480-181 (.726), 21st Season
At Wichita State: 286-98 (.745), 12th Season
TITLES:
NCAA Tournament Bids: 14 (1999-02, 2005-07, 2012-18)
NCAA Final Four: 1 (2013)
Other Postseason Bids: 3 (2009 CBI, 2010 NIT, 2011 NIT Champions)
Missouri Valley Conference Titles: 5 (2012, 2014-17)
Big South Conference Titles: 6 (1999, 2001-02, 2005-07)
MVC Tournament Titles: 2 (2014, 2017)
Big South Tournament Titles: 7 (1999-02, 2005-07)
AWARDS:
National Coach of the Year: 2014
Mid-Major National Coach of the Year: 2007
MVC Coach of the Year: 3 (2012-14)
Big South Coach of the Year: 4 (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007)

--- End quote ---

He's won 13 conference tournaments in 21 seasons as a head coach? I don't care what conference(s) you're in, that's pretty impressive.

Breems:
11 conference titles, 9 conference tournament titles, a Final Four, NIT championship, 13 CoY awards, and 14 NCAAT appearances in 21 years.

OrvilleRedenporker:
My sense is he wanted the job last time and Mike got it.  I think he'd be a good hire.

swinesation:
Alabama tried to hire Marshall in 2015 for $4 Million after he took Wichita State to Final Four in 2013, Round of 32 in 2014, and Sweet Sixteen in 2015. Wichita State countered with $3 Million and he stayed. The $3 Million went to $3.5 Million in 2018.

I'd throw $4.5 Million at him and see if he'll come. Maybe $5 Million. Of course, it's not my money I'm playing with. He's actually in a slight downward trend. After six years in a row making it to at least the round of 32, last year they lost their first game in NCAA, then this year they didn't make the tourney. Now might be the best chance to grab him - buy low. THIS WOULD BE A GRAND SLAM HIRE.

porkerfinger:
Marshall might be a better fit for this region of the country than Musselman.

Busta_Nutt:
This is the type of attitude needed for this program.

WichitaStateRazorback:
Gregg Marshall should be number 1 on the list. I'd take him over Beard, Sampson and Musselman. Turgeon left the cupboard bare at WSU and GM built them into a very very solid program. Having a down year this year due to a team that returned only 11.2% of minutes from the previous season (25 wins). You see the struggle early on in the season, but they found a way to turn it around towards the end of the year and the very well could win the NIT Championship. GM is an amazing coach, good at finding over looked talent and even better at coaching up that talent.

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: WichitaStateRazorback on April 02, 2019, 10:47:26 am ---Gregg Marshall should be number 1 on the list. I'd take him over Beard, Sampson and Musselman. Turgeon left the cupboard bare at WSU and GM built them into a very very solid program. Having a down year this year due to a team that returned only 11.2% of minutes from the previous season (25 wins). You see the struggle early on in the season, but they found a way to turn it around towards the end of the year and the very well could win the NIT Championship. GM is an amazing coach, good at finding over looked talent and even better at coaching up that talent.

--- End quote ---

Any self respecting Arkansas fan knows roster management is the coaches job.  Probably Mike's biggest weakness here.

Kevin:
marshall or mussellman is a no lose situation for the hogs.

they both can coach. the difference will be in the personality of the two men.

BaconTheSaddleAgain:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 02, 2019, 10:48:18 am ---Any self respecting Arkansas fan knows roster management is the coaches job.  Probably Mike's biggest weakness here.

--- End quote ---

It happens. Roy Williams has missed the NCAA tournament after being established. So has Boeheim. Cal missed the tournament in 2012. And that was North Carolina, Syracuse, and Kentucky.

Atlhogfan1:

--- Quote from: swinesation on April 02, 2019, 10:11:35 am ---Alabama tried to hire Marshall in 2015 for $4 Million after he took Wichita State to Final Four in 2013, Round of 32 in 2014, and Sweet Sixteen in 2015. Wichita State countered with $3 Million and he stayed. The $3 Million went to $3.5 Million in 2018.

I'd throw $4.5 Million at him and see if he'll come. Maybe $5 Million. Of course, it's not my money I'm playing with. He's actually in a slight downward trend. After six years in a row making it to at least the round of 32, last year they lost their first game in NCAA, then this year they didn't make the tourney. Now might be the best chance to grab him - buy low. THIS WOULD BE A GRAND SLAM HIRE.

--- End quote ---

He was listening to Bama and came close to at least going to Tuscaloosa to check out the facilities.  That is when he got his big raise at Wichita. 

I don't know if money would be the main reason.  He really likes Wichita.  What may motivate him is the move to the AAC which has brought some better competition with programs who can recruit better and have more resources.  Does his shine fade a little and will programs like an Arkansas from the SEC come calling with $4 million or whatever too many more times? 

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 02, 2019, 10:57:23 am ---He was listening to Bama and came close to at least going to Tuscaloosa to check out the facilities.  That is when he got his big raise at Wichita. 

I don't know if money would be the main reason.  He really likes Wichita.  What may motivate him is the move to the AAC which has brought some better competition with programs who can recruit better and have more resources.  Does his shine fade a little and will programs like an Arkansas from the SEC come calling with $4 million or whatever too many more times?

--- End quote ---

I think his daughter was in HS then (she is in college now) so that may have been a factor.

UnknownNobody:

--- Quote from: RedyorNot on April 02, 2019, 09:13:18 am ---He does not recruit, his teams are made up of transfers. Google his name and read the article on “3 Reasons Musselman Will Stay” and it will break it down for you. He may be able to do that in whatever conference Nevada is in but it wont cut it in the SEC.

--- End quote ---

I guess transfers happen in a vacuum,  I always thought there was a recruiting process for transfers but I guess they just show up and offer to play.

Eddie Sutton must suck considering Darrell Walker, Alvin Robertson, Joe Klein and Ron Brewer were all transfers.

WichitaStateRazorback:

--- Quote from: thebignasty on April 02, 2019, 10:48:18 am ---Any self respecting Arkansas fan knows roster management is the coaches job.  Probably Mike's biggest weakness here.

--- End quote ---
Agreed. However you have a Landry Shamet leave early for the pro's , and Austin Reaves transfer out. This is the first time at WSU where roster management bit him in the ass.

SwineSalesman:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1111031939996241920


A lot of people have mentioned GM being too hard and not well liked by his players, I found this video that shows a different view.

WichitaStateRazorback:

--- Quote from: SwineSalesman on April 02, 2019, 12:17:09 pm ---https://twitter.com/i/status/1111031939996241920


A lot of people have mentioned GM being too hard and not well liked by his players, I found this video that shows a different view.

--- End quote ---
He is loved by his players and the city of Wichita.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View