RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Billy Donovan Mega Thread

(1/3) > >>

TeufelHog:
Mods -- As unlikely as it may be, please consolidate Billy Donovan discussions here.  There are a couple already out there including mine which was sent to the trash ("Go Get . . .") for whatever reason and "spend the money" / "The Official Ridiculousness thread: Billy Donovan next head coach" in Jump Ball.  Thank you.

Hugo Bezdek:
Seems like a long-shot but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I think you have to ask if he's ready to come back to the college game. Hiring BD would be YUGE.

Kevin:
it is worth one call

King Kong:
He might come open. I don’t think the timing will be right

Hogeyeblind:
Billy D is the only one that excites me in the least.  Then Beard, then the field.

outlawhogeywells:
his current salary is $6M per year
Brad Stevens is making $22M over 6 years.  Salary wise this is more attainable

PorkPontiff:
Would be a coup of a hire! Absolutely should shoot for the stars!

Don't need to spend too much time on trying to woo him unless he is dead-serious and it comes down to talking dollars because we don't need to burn precious time while other teams gather up all of our other great options like Beard and Sampson.

RazorPiggie:
Billy is making 3.6

Timing isn't good. Their last regular season game is 4/10. Then a 7 game series with either Golden State or Denver that would take another week or so. So he wouldn't be available until after 4/20. That's almost another month from now.

King Kong:

--- Quote from: outlawhogeywells on March 27, 2019, 11:25:07 am ---his current salary is $6M per year
Brad Stevens is making $22M over 6 years.  Salary wise this is more attainable

--- End quote ---

The assumption is Billy will be let go

#1 STUNNA:
gotta at least make a call...

King Kong:

--- Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 27, 2019, 11:31:55 am ---Billy is making 3.6

Timing isn't good. Their last regular season game is 4/10. Then a 7 game series with either Golden State or Denver that would take another week or so. So he wouldn't be available until after 4/20. That's almost another month from now.

--- End quote ---

Yep. I don’t see a situation where the timing works out. Billy would have to pull a Bobby Petrino will a playoff team

HogCzar1:
I don’t think this is as much of pie in the sky as some think. He knows jobs like this rarely come open “at the right time”. Also, I don’t doubt he would be at least intrigued. He could get Mike Miller off of Penny’s staff at Memphis. He has a national name and would certainly excite the fan base immediately. He is shaky in OKC now, and he knows it.

This could be worked out.

TeufelHog:
He's a @#$! good coach with instant credibility.
Driven -- with a high basketball IQ WRT X's/O's.
Proven success at NCAA and NBA levels.
NBA ties will entice the recruits needed to garner success at the elite level of SEC/NCAA play.
Will attract the staff needed to attract/then develop players for the next level (NBA play).

If FREAKIN' KENTUCKY can afford Calipari, we can afford Donovan.  Pay the man his price and bring Arkansas back to prominence again.

Why do you think Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc. are preeminent basketball "Bluebloods?"  Why do you think Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, etc. are preeminent football "Bluebloods?"  Because they historically pay for the best coaches around and reap the rewards of the calculated risk they take.  You get what you pay for, and yes, that includes the fans "paying" their fare share by way of season tickets, team "swag," contributions to the Razorback Foundation, etc.  Pick your target and pay the man!  Pulling in a proven NCAA SEC Coach and Professional NBA Coach like Donovan who will maintain those NBA ties/connections will draw in the recruits we need to compete at the next level.  Who does he sound like?  Oh, that's right SABAN . . .

Boarmonger:
I don’t see the same issues here with BD that existed with BP and the Falcons.  There are no hard recruiting deadlines coming up as existed with the FB at the time of BP’s hire.  It is important that we name a coach for recruiting but BD can make up that ground on name alone in a hurry. We’d need an agreement in principle to wait on him so we don’t sit around while everyone else makes their hire.  It seems doable to me if he’s willing.

Hugo Bezdek:

--- Quote from: HogCzar1 on March 27, 2019, 12:03:10 pm ---I don’t think this is as much of pie in the sky as some think. He knows jobs like this rarely come open “at the right time”. Also, I don’t doubt he would be at least intrigued. He could get Mike Miller off of Penny’s staff at Memphis. He has a national name and would certainly excite the fan base immediately. He is shaky in OKC now, and he knows it.

This could be worked out.

--- End quote ---

Not much time for mating rituals though. He'd have to answer with a resounding yes (through channels no doubt) to justify waiting on him.

Been10Hog:
I would love this!! But, everyone would have to accept he is here until Calipari leaves UK then he's off to Lex.

Dwight_K_Shrute:
If you want to be super big time you approach hiring BD like Alabama approached hiring Nick Saban, go big so often that they eventually say yes.

Many thought Bama was absurd at the time for going so high but look at the results.  No one every says Saban is overpaid because his value transcends football revenue. It's about branding, exposure, and mentions for the school.

BDSCT51:

--- Quote from: Hogeyeblind on March 27, 2019, 11:24:14 am ---Billy D is the only one that excites me in the least.  Then Beard, then the field.

--- End quote ---

Plus one on this observation!

kingofdequeen:

--- Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 27, 2019, 01:03:04 pm ---If you want to be super big time you approach hiring BD like Alabama approached hiring Nick Saban, go big so often that they eventually say yes.

Many thought Bama was absurd at the time for going so high but look at the results.  No one every says Saban is overpaid because his value transcends football revenue. It's about branding, exposure, and mentions for the school.

--- End quote ---

he'd pay for himself pretty quickly.  i just don't think we got the jack or the cajones.

Paul:
He would be a recruiting fool(in a good way)!

RaisinHog:
If we somehow got him ( I want to say I know it's a pipe dream) I can only imagine cal would cry like a baby along with the rest of the SEC coaches lol

kingofdequeen:

--- Quote from: RaisinHog on March 27, 2019, 01:24:11 pm ---If we somehow got him ( I want to say I know it's a pipe dream) I can only imagine cal would cry like a baby along with the rest of the SEC coaches lol

--- End quote ---

all the way to the bank when he shoehorned another raise out of UK.

Supermark101:

--- Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 27, 2019, 11:31:55 am ---Billy is making 3.6

--- End quote ---

What's the rush? This isn't football where there is a signing period a week after the season or whatever.

Paul:

--- Quote from: RaisinHog on March 27, 2019, 01:24:11 pm ---If we somehow got him ( I want to say I know it's a pipe dream) I can only imagine cal would cry like a baby along with the rest of the SEC coaches lol

--- End quote ---
he would be a big threat to Cal cuz he's a better bench coach & recruiter

Been10Hog:

--- Quote from: Paul on March 27, 2019, 01:38:46 pm --- he would be a big threat to Cal cuz he's a better bench coach & recruiter

--- End quote ---
threat to Cal until he inevitably becomes his replacement. That's the only thing I would have against BD. We would be setting ourselves up for heartache at the hands of UK again. That's where he's going when it opens.

Junkyard Hog:
For someone like Donovan, salary almost shouldn't matter that much.

If he would come, we can't afford not to get him.

RagingHawgOn:

--- Quote from: Supermark101 on March 27, 2019, 01:38:37 pm ---What's the rush? This isn't football where there is a signing period a week after the season or whatever.

--- End quote ---

Isn't there an early signing period?

BaconTheSaddleAgain:
The rush is that we don't want to be the last domino in the coaching carousel. We want to get who we want before programs like Bama and A&M start picking from the pool we want to pull from.

The timing is really, really bad. So many obstacles. First, we don't really know if Billy Donovan wants to leave or if he is, in fact, feeling the pressure from the front office and may want to make a move on his own. We don't know what seed the Thunder will get. Looks like OKC could realistically finish as high as 5th or so and get some favorable matchup to extend his season. We don't even know if he would want to come to Arkansas even if he does want to get back into college basketball.

That said, sometimes things fall in your lap, like they did with Petrino. If we want BD and he wants to come here, we can't wait on his season to end. Either he has to make his intention known and finish out the season with OKC or he has to quit after the regular season and not coach in the playoffs. We can't wait him out and watch Sampson go to Bama and Buzz go to A&M and Beard Sexton us for a raise and an extension.

It's the longest shot of all longshots, but if he REALLY wants out of the NBA and REALLY wants back into the SEC, we're the best job on the market and he'll have to do his part to help with the timing so that we know we aren't getting left out to dry.

26.2Hog:

--- Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 27, 2019, 01:03:04 pm ---If you want to be super big time you approach hiring BD like Alabama approached hiring Nick Saban, go big so often that they eventually say yes.

--- End quote ---

Exactly.  Here is a pretty good article with some metrics to validate what you are saying.

https://www.nola.com/lsu/2018/07/is_alabama_football_coach_nick.html

Hugo Bezdek:

--- Quote from: BaconTheSaddleAgain on March 27, 2019, 01:51:21 pm ---The rush is that we don't want to be the last domino in the coaching carousel. We want to get who we want before programs like Bama and A&M start picking from the pool we want to pull from.

The timing is really, really bad. So many obstacles. First, we don't really know if Billy Donovan wants to leave or if he is, in fact, feeling the pressure from the front office and may want to make a move on his own. We don't know what seed the Thunder will get. Looks like OKC could realistically finish as high as 5th or so and get some favorable matchup to extend his season. We don't even know if he would want to come to Arkansas even if he does want to get back into college basketball.

That said, sometimes things fall in your lap, like they did with Petrino. If we want BD and he wants to come here, we can't wait on his season to end. Either he has to make his intention known and finish out the season with OKC or he has to quit after the regular season and not coach in the playoffs. We can't wait him out and watch Sampson go to Bama and Buzz go to A&M and Beard Sexton us for a raise and an extension.

It's the longest shot of all longshots, but if he REALLY wants out of the NBA and REALLY wants back into the SEC, we're the best job on the market and he'll have to do his part to help with the timing so that we know we aren't getting left out to dry.

--- End quote ---

This. We can't afford to miss on this hire, so letting our top alternatives slip by if BD is not interested would be damaging. I would have no problem letting him finish his season at OKC if we have an agreement in principle, but we need to know. Recruits and transfers aren't a factor as far as I'm concerned. This is a decision for the long-term.

King Kong:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollbamaroll.com/platform/amp/2019/3/27/18283881/get-to-know-coaching-candidates-rick-pitino-and-billy-donovan-maybe-not-as-long-a-shot-as-you-think

Bama fans comments Billy D

Lulu Hog:
Would be good to at least call him

Lulu Hog:
That article says Duke is his dream job

italian9005:
Donovan would be the only grand slam hire

brenthog:
Would he want to come here?

Florida Coach Billy Donovan said Arkansas “set themselves back” by firing John Pelphrey on Sunday. “When you’ve got a top recruiting class coming in and the majority of your team coming back, to me, I don’t understand that,” Donovan said.

HogCzar1:

--- Quote from: brenthog on March 27, 2019, 03:06:24 pm ---Would he want to come here?

Florida Coach Billy Donovan said Arkansas “set themselves back” by firing John Pelphrey on Sunday. “When you’ve got a top recruiting class coming in and the majority of your team coming back, to me, I don’t understand that,” Donovan said.

--- End quote ---

Different administration here now. Different circumstances.

SSFrazorback:
A Donovan hire says to the SEC we ARE #2 in this league and we plan to challenge #1.

TeufelHog:

--- Quote from: SSFrazorback on March 27, 2019, 03:42:55 pm ---A Donovan hire says to the SEC we ARE #2 in this league and we plan to challenge #1.

--- End quote ---
Totally agree.  It also sets the rest of NCAA Basketball on notice.

BaconTheSaddleAgain:

--- Quote from: brenthog on March 27, 2019, 03:06:24 pm ---Would he want to come here?

--- End quote ---

Universities make business decisions. So do coaches. If he wants out of the NBA, the only open job better than the Arkansas job is UCLA.

Arkansas Fan:
I could see BD coming to Arkansas if we pushed for him hard enough and really went after him. However, I doubt he's even on Yurachek's radar.

Supermark101:

--- Quote from: Arkansas Fan on March 27, 2019, 05:00:15 pm ---I could see BD coming to Arkansas if we pushed for him hard enough and really went after him. However, I doubt he's even on Yurachek's radar.

--- End quote ---

His agent isn't doing his job if he's not looking for a landing spot for BD, and HY isn't doing his if he's not aware of coaching situations all over basketball. Calls will get made. Probably as far as it goes, but they aill be made.

BrooklynRoss:
I don't know about this guy. He hasn't really recruited anyone of note since 2015.

Edit, does Paul George count as a recruit?

The real Hogules:
I'd purchase season tickets again, if we hired Billy Donovan.

Arkansas Fan:

--- Quote from: Supermark101 on March 27, 2019, 05:15:07 pm ---His agent isn't doing his job if he's not looking for a landing spot for BD, and HY isn't doing his if he's not aware of coaching situations all over basketball. Calls will get made. Probably as far as it goes, but they aill be made.

--- End quote ---

You would think so, but people in these positions might not think the same way we do.

RaisinHog:

--- Quote from: The real Hogules on March 27, 2019, 05:54:38 pm ---I'd purchase season tickets again, if we hired Billy Donovan.

--- End quote ---

Hell I live 4 hours away and I might buy them to

Been10Hog:

--- Quote from: BrooklynRoss on March 27, 2019, 05:51:43 pm ---I don't know about this guy. He hasn't really recruited anyone of note since 2015.

Edit, does Paul George count as a recruit?

--- End quote ---
Didnt he get K Allen to commit before he left for OKC

BrooklynRoss:

--- Quote from: Been10Hog on March 27, 2019, 07:27:16 pm ---Didnt he get K Allen to commit before he left for OKC

--- End quote ---

Yeah, but that was 2014-2015, not standalone 2015. (I'm kidding!)

26.2Hog:

--- Quote from: italian9005 on March 27, 2019, 02:36:47 pm ---Donovan would be the only grand slam hire

--- End quote ---

No doubt Donovan would be a grand slam.  Beard would be pretty close.

HogCzar1:

--- Quote from: The real Hogules on March 27, 2019, 05:54:38 pm ---I'd purchase season tickets again, if we hired Billy Donovan.

--- End quote ---

Without question, the grand slam hire. If HY pulled that off, he could run for Governor.

HOGINTENNESSEE:
Miss out on Beard and Sampson. Wait to see if Donovan gets fired

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View