RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Chris Beard Mega Thread

(1/20) > >>

WilsonHog:
The only concerns I have about Beard relate to his experience.

No doubt he has won every where he has been, but that is limited to one season at McMurry, two at Angelo State, one at Little Rock, and three at Texas Tech. True enough, in the last four years his teams have gone 103-35 (.746), with three NCAA Tournament bids (2nd round, Elite Eight, and Sweet Sixteen...so far). Big XII Coach of the Year twice, two regular season conference championships, and one conference tournament championship. That is one helluva record, but over a limited number of years.

Having said that, I remember sitting on Press Row in BWA in the winter of '95-96 and watching us play one of Bill Self's Oral Roberts teams. We won 66-65, but what I remember the most was the buzz that this guy was going to be a great coach and he really wanted to come to Fayetteville. Beard may be the next Bill Self; sort of feels like it.

cardinalhawg:
I will go ahead and copy my post from that there to put here.  I definitely think he would be a great choice.

A few things I noticed about Chris Beard and Texas Tech in some brief research.

They have a good mix of underclassmen and upperclassmen as key contributors on the team including their leading scorers being the younger guys.

Beard seems to bring in some foreign players based on current roster and recruits for next year.

They have a good recruiting class lined up for next year including Ramsey who was one of our top targets for a while.  I believe he played at the same prep school as Embrey-Simpson last year.

Glenn Cyprien joined their staff this past season as an assistant.  Would Cyprien return to Fayetteville if Beard is hired?  Cyprien has a reputation as a top recruiter.

Porkem:
Beard is not a realistic candidate.

He's happy. His family is happy.

And we would never pay his 12 million dollar buyout.

But...I would love to have him.

hawkhawg:
I think he is unlikely to leave Tech but Beard is #1 on my list.

WilsonHog:

--- Quote from: Porkem on March 26, 2019, 11:35:42 pm ---Beard is not a realistic candidate.

He's happy. His family is happy.

And we would never pay his 12 million dollar buyout.

But...I would love to have him.

--- End quote ---

I believe that $12 million is if Tech wanted to fire him, not if another school wants to hire him.

makiavelli:

--- Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2019, 11:46:45 pm ---I believe that $12 million is if Tech wanted to fire him, not if another school wants to hire him.

--- End quote ---

I think you confused a few people with your buyout post the other day. But those buyouts were for getting fired, not leaving. At least I think it was your post?

WilsonHog:

--- Quote from: makiavelli on March 26, 2019, 11:49:33 pm ---I think you confused a few people with your buyout post the other day. But those buyouts were for getting fired, not leaving. At least I think it was your post?

--- End quote ---

Correct.

Hogeyeblind:
He's had some weird jobs and has taken a circuitous route to get where he's at.  He's gotten it done everywhere he's been.
Not sure the ages of his daughters but if he's currently located close to them that's gonna be a tough pull.

makiavelli:
Pretty interesting that two of Beards assistants have Arkansas ties. Had not seen that til reading something Wilson posted

Porknoxville:
Beard is a big yes. Sampson is 5th on my list. Houston won against weak weak competition.

hogwood:
Give me Beard or give me death. That is all.

husker71:
well I would be shocked if he left TT but I want no part of Sampson

hogfanny:
Beard is number one one my wish list, and second is not even close.

WilsonHog:
One potential issue with Beard is the Texas job. If the Longhorns lose tonight (18-17), Smart may be out tomorrow. Beard is a UT grad and got his start as a student coach for Tom Penders. I expect Beard would be a serious candidate, maybe at the top of their board, too.

Lanny:

--- Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2019, 07:38:30 am ---One potential issue with Beard is the Texas job. If the Longhorns lose tonight (18-17), Smart may be out tomorrow. Beard is a UT grad and got his start as a student coach for Tom Penders. I expect Beard would be a serious candidate, maybe at the top of their board, too.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for posting this, I meant to see if Texas was still in the NIT last night.

Foshodo:

--- Quote from: Hogeyeblind on March 26, 2019, 11:52:43 pm ---He's had some weird jobs and has taken a circuitous route to get where he's at.  He's gotten it done everywhere he's been.
Not sure the ages of his daughters but if he's currently located close to them that's gonna be a tough pull.

--- End quote ---

He and Morris could road trip it back and forth to Texas to see their family each week...

parallaxpig:
He's the best coach out there that we can afford.  Buzz would be great but I think we loose to A&M deep pockets.  Both can turn around a program quickly......

redleg:
Chris Beard is #1 for me. Fingers crossed.

golf2day:
As a grown man I would be a little embarrassed at the level of excitement I would feel if Beard were to be our next coach.

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: Porknoxville on March 27, 2019, 03:19:28 am ---Sampson is 5th on my list. Houston won against weak weak competition.

--- End quote ---

Beat then #18 Oregon (in the Sweet 16 now)
Beat LSU (in the Sweet 16 now)
Beat St. Louis (won A-10 tournament)
Beat Wichita State (down year but in NIT semis right now)
Beat Temple (made NCAA tournament)
Beat UCF on road (damn near beat Duke)
Beat Cincinnati home and away (made NCAA tournament)
Beat Ohio State in NCAA tournament

Not murder's row but not weak competition.

Hogs-n-Roses:
This a great thread. There was confusion earlier on the 12 million buyout. If he were to leave, nor fired, does anyone know what those numbers would be or a ballpark they are usually in?

mjsphd:
Chris Beard's father still posts occasionally on the UALR message board.  This was his post this morning;

Beard to Arkansas? Where does this stuff come from?01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle Funny at best.....!!!!

WilsonHog:

--- Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on March 27, 2019, 08:52:54 am ---This a great thread. There was confusion earlier on the 12 million buyout. If he were to leave, nor fired, does anyone know what those numbers would be or a ballpark they are usually in?

--- End quote ---

I have looked for that number, but I haven't found it.

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: Lanny on March 27, 2019, 07:40:47 am ---Thanks for posting this, I meant to see if Texas was still in the NIT last night.

--- End quote ---

I think you are going to need to give Wilson a pay bump after this ordeal is over.  Guy has been putting in some time!!!  And valuable time at that.

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: mjsphd on March 27, 2019, 09:01:49 am ---Chris Beard's father still posts occasionally on the UALR message board.  This was his post this morning;

Beard to Arkansas? Where does this stuff come from?01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle01-wingedeagle Funny at best.....!!!!

--- End quote ---

Way to much smoke around his name and Arkansas right now for there not to have been something going on.  Now is he serious or just looking to get a raise at Tech, we will never know till it's to late or he is already at Arkansas .

Mr. Porkleone:

--- Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2019, 09:02:10 am ---I have looked for that number, but I haven't found it.

--- End quote ---

Wilson saw this.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

jjdlc:

--- Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2019, 07:38:30 am ---One potential issue with Beard is the Texas job. If the Longhorns lose tonight (18-17), Smart may be out tomorrow. Beard is a UT grad and got his start as a student coach for Tom Penders. I expect Beard would be a serious candidate, maybe at the top of their board, too.

--- End quote ---

Even if Texas doesn't fire Smart this year, you would have to be constantly worried about Beard bolting as soon as that job did come open.

Been10Hog:

--- Quote from: jjdlc on March 27, 2019, 09:12:43 am ---Even if Texas doesn't fire Smart this year, you would have to be constantly worried about Beard bolting as soon as that job did come open.

--- End quote ---
Once we get him, if we get him, there is no way imo the BOT would ever let  ::hornsdown:: steal a coach from us! They are old enough to remember and therefore hate  ::hornsdown::. If  ::hornsdown:: fires Smart this year I don't think we outbid them for Beard. But, if he becomes ours,  ::hornsdown:: will never get him

jjdlc:

--- Quote from: Been10Hog on March 27, 2019, 09:22:39 am ---Once we get him, if we get him, there is no way imo the BOT would ever let  ::hornsdown:: steal a coach from us! They are old enough to remember and therefore hate  ::hornsdown::. If  ::hornsdown:: fires Smart this year I don't think we outbid them for Beard. But, if he becomes ours,  ::hornsdown:: will never get him

--- End quote ---

Coaching moves aren't always about money.

WeHaveTheMeats:
Why would Chris Beard want to leave the premier meat judging institute in the world for a school with next to no meat judging presence?

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: WeHaveTheMeats on March 27, 2019, 09:34:50 am ---Why would Chris Beard want to leave the premier meat judging institute in the world for a school with next to no meat judging presence?

--- End quote ---
/thread

TrueBlue:

--- Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on March 27, 2019, 09:12:20 am ---Wilson saw this.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

--- End quote ---

So Beard makes only $2.8?

Could be interesting....

Cowtown Hog:
I live in Lubbock and have several connections to the program - I have no idea about his interest in Arkansas job but here are a few things I do know.  Yes his daughters are in Abilene less than two hours away and he does like being closer to them.  I attended a high school game in Lubbock a few months ago and his daughter's team from Abilene was playing in the girls game before the boys varsity.  He had his entire Tech team there to cheer them on, looked like he was having a lot of fun being a dad in the stands. I can tell you he does like the Tech job and Lubbock community. He is very active and when you see him in public he always has time for people. Bobby Knight still lives here after retiring and he has told several locals that he thinks Chris likes what He is building and the support he gets from administration and community. 
I love how he coaches and the intensity he brings to the sidelines and to the arena. I've been to several games, and as much as I liked Mike - I love a more active coaching style.  He is up, enthusiastic, and will get in players face to motivate and correct.  Some in this generation don't like that, but I think you still have to get a kid's attention and keep them stoked to stay in the game the full 40min.  As a lifetime Razorback fan, I would love to see him get the job.  As a Lubbock citizen I would had to see him go from the community.  He is a good one.

thebignasty:

--- Quote from: WeHaveTheMeats on March 27, 2019, 09:34:50 am ---Why would Chris Beard want to leave the premier meat judging institute in the world for a school with next to no meat judging presence?

--- End quote ---
Mods, pls turn likes on for this forum, thanx

cableguy:
Chris Beard is not my favored to be coach. I am not a fan of his style of offense.  Kevin Sampson is my number 1a choice because he is proven winner.  Billy Donovan is my number one choice but the chances of getting him is 1/50 chance.

DenaoStyle:
Watch Tech play and you know Chris Beard is a superstar in the college basketball coaching profession.  We'd be set for years with this guy. 

Deep Shoat:

--- Quote from: jjdlc on March 27, 2019, 09:12:43 am ---Even if Texas doesn't fire Smart this year, you would have to be constantly worried about Beard bolting as soon as that job did come open.

--- End quote ---
This is true of any coach we can hire. 

Dwight_K_Shrute:

--- End quote ---

This is what I call horse**** or a losers mentality.  You don't let this possibility keep you from hiring someone if you believe they are the best person for the job.  Also coaches leaving from one HM job to another are very rare.  Pay them well, give them what ever they need to win from an infrastructure standpoint, and don't treat them like **** and they won't go anywhere. 

BDSCT51:
Had a chance to see Beard in action as coach of LRU in a game against Georgia Southern down here a few years ago. VERY impressed with his work during that one game. I know, I know a small sample size to be sure but I wish we had a realistic shot at wooing him out of Lubbock.

As "they" say, timing is everything. Unfortunately I believe the Hogs have missed this opportunity.

synthartist69:

--- End quote ---
That is funny as hell... lololol

Bash:
Those funny people at Wikipedia.  ;D

Hugo Bezdek:

--- End quote ---

This is a valid question. I think we have no chance.

Smithian:
I only think Beard moves if A&M hands him a Jimbo contract.

I can't see him leaving the state of Texas.

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: Smithian on March 27, 2019, 03:43:47 pm ---I only think Beard moves if A&M hands him a Jimbo contract.

I can't see him leaving the state of Texas.

--- End quote ---
He is a Longhorn LOCK> played there. Coached there. Is #1 on the fan wish list. It's only a matter of hours or days until Smart is fired. Beard aint our guy.

WilsonHog:

--- Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 27, 2019, 06:54:20 pm ---He is a Longhorn LOCK> played there. Coached there. Is #1 on the fan wish list. It's only a matter of hours or days until Smart is fired. Beard aint our guy.

--- End quote ---

I wouldn’t make any definitive statements on that just yet.

Pig in the Pokey:

--- Quote from: WilsonHog on March 27, 2019, 06:57:54 pm ---I wouldn’t make any definitive statements on that just yet.

--- End quote ---
i TRULY hope you are right, but... It's a lot of connection there.

oldfart:

--- Quote from: synthartist69 on March 27, 2019, 12:57:28 pm --- That is funny as hell... lololol

--- End quote ---
but we are great at judging chickens!!!

Pig in the Pokey:
Regarding my previous statements about Beard and Texas- could be something to worry aboutt in a year or two, but, with Shaka's buyout and current recruiting class... he looks safe for now.

TrueBlue:
From being around Beard for a little over a year, he has one thing that to a coach is more important than money: his ego. He knows if he can prove himself as a SEC coach under the big lights, he will have accomplished something.

As I have said before, the dude can flat-out coach. He is a younger version of Eddie Sutton when he first arrived. He does it with discipline, dedication, and defense. He also teaches properly how to rebound and is a great X’s and O’s coach who knows how to draw up plays. 

Breems:
I'm in the extreme minority, but I'm a bit skeptical. He's obviously done a phenomenal job in the B12 and is red hot, much more so than your typical flash in the pan. However, he's yet to coach at a school for more than 3 seasons. I don't like the idea of hiring someone who hasn't built a full roster and sustained success with their own recruits beyond a couple years.

I wouldn't be disappointed, but my up-and-comer PTSD might hang around for a while.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View