• 10,269,066 Posts
• 407,530 Topics
• 23,309 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Avery Johnson out at Alabama. Possible Alabama tries to get Mike Anderson?  (Read 5363 times)

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Mike Anderson
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2019, 04:26:40 pm »

Fertitta spent a significant amount of money to draw Holgerson to Houston and already was able to write that off last year. Dont see him coming in early March and keeping Sampson. Holgerson and Fertitta also seemed to of had a personal relationship that went beyond just booster and coach.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2019, 04:27:12 pm »

Have people lost their minds?   Why in the world are people worried about what Nolan Richardson thinks?

Good question. They shouldn't be worried about what Nolan thinks though. As a former coach, he knows the head coach has to win to keep his job.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2019, 04:28:54 pm »

Good question. They shouldn't be worried about what Nolan thinks though. As a former coach, he knows the head coach has to win to keep his job.
And has said as much in public interviews.

Screamster

• Varsity
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2019, 05:02:09 pm »

Bama tried to hire MA in the past and he turned them down.

That was of course when MA was successful. MA has not been successful here
Perspective, that’s what it depends on. Someone on the outside might look at it and say, hey look Anderson has Arkansas competing again. He took over a terrible situation and they’ve won over 169 games in the last 8 years, 78-64 in conference, win consistently on the road. While doing it all on the up and up in a world where cheating is the norm. No, he’s not Nolan or even Eddie but the closest Alabama has come to them is Wimp Sanderson. They might just sign up for that. Or maybe not...

Mike Irwin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2019, 05:04:32 pm »

I don’t believe any of this from start to finish!!
You have to connect the dots. Avery Johnson: 0-1 in the NIT. Mike Anderson: 1-1 in the NIT. And all you guys were saying the NIT didn't matter.   ;D

hawgfan4life

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2019, 05:12:26 pm »

This thread has some pretty interesting posts.

1.  The crowd that is so down on MA that they believe Bama wouldn't be interested in him are thinking from their perspective and not Bama's.  MA's NCAA percentage was hurt at AR and is low at AR because he came into a mess when he got here and had to rebuild the program.  MA would be an improvement on what they have had in a while.  Gotfried was the last decent coach they had and Wimp two coaches before him was the best. 

2.  Wilson nailed it when he said once the talk about firing has begun this strongly, it doesn't go away.  The next time we struggle, it comes back with an immediate vengeance.  Sadly, MA has had some of this since the day he was hired and it build up the entire time he was building the program back to respectability.  With each loss and failure to make the NCAA, it is only magnified with little regard to any other variables.  To be fair to the critics, MA has had more than adequate time and opportunity to overcome outside influences so some criticism is completely justified.

3.  It is ironic that people have now begun to make Nolan Richardson into such a great coach and some concern themselves with the renaming the court after him.  When he was our coach, he actually was on the worse end of fan criticism than MA has undergone both at the beginning of his tenure and at the end.  Like MA, fans were so critical of some parts of NR's program that it was impossible for him to overcome the critics.  He might silence them with a win, but they came roaring back with any loss and even with some wins that weren't as pretty as they liked.

4.  If Alabama would indeed be interested in MA and if MA would indeed be interested in Bama, they should both jump for each other.  MA would be an upgrade in what they have had in many years and it would be a clean start for him in a new environment with a ton of potential.  If he stays, it will be nothing but the same stuff every year until he leaves.  The ONLY way he should stay is if he can turn AR around and get us into the sweet 16 and be a consistent threat for a few years.  Even then, haters will find fault that he didn't take us farther.  He is in a no win situation at AR and it is time to leave.  Better to leave on his terms than the other.

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2019, 05:13:14 pm »

Mike Anderson 13 - 12 post season record. 2.2 million a year.  Avery Johnson 1 - 4 and 2.9 million.

King Kong

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 05:20:04 pm »

You have to connect the dots. Avery Johnson: 0-1 in the NIT. Mike Anderson: 1-1 in the NIT. And all you guys were saying the NIT didn't matter.   ;D

Avery has a history of tanking in the NIT. He’s 0-3 at ‘Bama with two of those losses coming at home. But we all know how rugged the post-season can be. No easy games. It’s treacherous I tell ya’, treacherous. There are no easy outs on the “Road to MSG.” We were lucky to get out of that Dunkin’ Center with our lives.  ;)

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 05:20:42 pm »

Unfortunately for Mike the biggest thing that endeared him to the fan base is his biggest albatross. Nostalgia is a powerful motivator unfortunately the expectations are always that you should exceed your predecessors. Mike is a helluva basketball coach and as previously stated he is held in high regard by those who dont compare him to Richardson. I would like nothing more than Mike to coach here until he is ready to leave but familiarity has bred contempt and he is smart enough to realize it's always easier to get a job when you have one vs trying when you dont.

mhuff

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2019, 05:22:53 pm »

What about UAB?

hobhog

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2019, 05:25:01 pm »

I'm ready for a change more than anyone but he isn't going to Bama. Mainly because they will hire much better. MA will land at solid mid major when leaves here.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2019, 05:56:28 pm »

I only know what others are willing to share with me, which I appreciate. I do, however, have some common sense and I have watched stuff like this go down for 40 years.

If I was Mike, I would be looking.

Once the pressure mounts like it has this season, once influential people start the conversation of replacing a coach, it rarely ends well. Even if Mike stays, the same conversations will start all over again next fall. If we don't make the NCAA Tournament, he's done.

Assuming he does want to coach five or six more years, staying at Arkansas is not the smart play.

^100% this. However if what we hear about him being stubborn though I wonder if he would look at other jobs.

King Kong

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2019, 06:05:57 pm »

Perspective, that’s what it depends on. Someone on the outside might look at it and say, hey look Anderson has Arkansas competing again. He took over a terrible situation and they’ve won over 169 games in the last 8 years, 78-64 in conference, win consistently on the road. While doing it all on the up and up in a world where cheating is the norm. No, he’s not Nolan or even Eddie but the closest Alabama has come to them is Wimp Sanderson. They might just sign up for that. Or maybe not...

Arkansas is considered the 2nd best Basketball Job in the SEC. Nobody is buying this.

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
Avery Johnson out at Alabama. Possible Alabama tries to get Mike Anderson?
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2019, 06:06:56 pm »

With Alabama and Avery Johnson parting ways, could they try to target Mike Anderson since he is from Alabama?

iHeartHogs

• Varsity

Yes they could.

checkraiser88

Interesting question. I believe this is being addressed as we speak in another thread

LFC Hog

With Alabama and Avery Johnson parting ways, could they try to target Mike Anderson since he is from Alabama?
Oy vey!

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 06:11:09 pm »

Would it be considered stubborn for him to leave a no win situation next year? A team with 2 upper class men coming back, Corliss Williamson isn't walking through that door next year. Sweet 16 or bust type scenario. Also if the rumors are true about him replacing assistants your in effect asking him to fire a family member, a best friend that followed him from Mizzou, and I am almost sure they arent referring to Thurman. He could be looking at what his best for him and his now at this point in his career.

Hogeyeblind

40 minutes of Pel

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2019, 06:15:20 pm »

WISH HE WOULDVE PULLED IN TYLER COOK

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2019, 06:16:05 pm »

Arkansas is considered the 2nd best Basketball Job in the SEC. Nobody is buying this.
Correction, Arkansas was considered the second best job in the SEC. Define what you consider best? Pay we are 8th. Recruiting we are 5th. Expectations we are 2nd maybe.  If Arkansas was still that level Pelphrey and Altman would not have happened. The culture changed after 99 and has been on a steady decline for 20 years. Anderson was the doctor that stabilized the patient unfortunately I dont believe he will have the chance to seen it run again.

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2019, 06:16:09 pm »

His recruiting is frustrating.  He finds really good players but can hardly ever get them to commit after being in the top 5. 

iHeartHogs

• Varsity
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2019, 06:17:22 pm »

I guarantee you if Mike wants to go to Bama he would beat Arkansas like a drum every year.

Cambridge Hog

Lol

I’m sure they are setting their sights a bit higher..

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2019, 06:20:43 pm »

His recruiting is frustrating.  He finds really good players but can hardly ever get them to commit after being in the top 5.
Because Anderson has and always will run a clean program.

UnknownNobody

Johnson has been at Bama for 5 seasons over that span Anderson averaged 2 more wins a season and made the NCAAT one more time than Johnson.

Yeah I'm sure Bama is chomping at the bit to hire Anderson...huge upgrade!!!

Geeze...

Marshfieldhog

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2019, 06:24:49 pm »

Because Anderson has and always will run a clean program.

Not everyone cheats. It’s not against the rules for a coach to be on social media. Mike’s recruiting is bad and it’s his fault

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2019, 06:32:29 pm »

Not everyone cheats. It’s not against the rules for a coach to be on social media. Mike’s recruiting is bad and it’s his fault
This is true Coach Morris has proven its power for sure.

BannerMountainMan

After they announced that Pelphrey was the interim coach, Stef Walsh tweeted and put a eye roll face, and then went on and said that Pel ruined his career and said that the team that went 14–18 should’ve easily made it to the 2nd weekend in the tourney.

King Kong

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2019, 06:45:45 pm »

Correction, Arkansas was considered the second best job in the SEC. Define what you consider best? Pay we are 8th. Recruiting we are 5th. Expectations we are 2nd maybe.  If Arkansas was still that level Pelphrey and Altman would not have happened. The culture changed after 99 and has been on a steady decline for 20 years. Anderson was the doctor that stabilized the patient unfortunately I dont believe he will have the chance to seen it run again.

Listen to any National Writer regarding college Basketball. Since Billy D left it pretty much unanimous Arkansas is the best job. Best result no.

As far as coaching salaries we paid at the time top money for MA. However he barely make more that we gave him a years ago. That that is simply because he has earned more money

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2019, 06:45:58 pm »

You have to connect the dots.
We sure do.
. . . - - - . . .

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!

Highly unlikely. I don't think they pay that buyout and then go get Mike.

Breems

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=679245.0

Isn't happening. Doubt Mike is even a thought in Tuscaloosa right now.

LZH

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2019, 06:51:37 pm »

No way in hell Alabama would even remotely consider hiring MA as their head basketball coach.....no way.

He'll be offered by a mid-tier team and if the money is right, needs to jump on it immediately.

LFC Hog

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2019, 06:55:29 pm »

You have to connect the dots.
I hope Hunter Yurachek is a dot connector!

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2019, 07:00:07 pm »

Listen to any National Writer regarding college Basketball. Since Billy D left it pretty much unanimous Arkansas is the best job. Best result no.

As far as coaching salaries we paid at the time top money for MA. However he barely make more that we gave him a years ago. That that is simply because he has earned more money

How about we look earlier this year, and the coaching profession itself?   John Calipari was asked about the best coaching jobs in the SEC, and we were mentioned as the fifth job out of his mouth, which he described as the collection of quality jobs in the league.   Fifth. 

Smithian

lol

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

Johnson has been at Bama for 5 seasons over that span Anderson averaged 2 more wins a season and made the NCAAT one more time than Johnson.

Yeah I'm sure Bama is chomping at the bit to hire Anderson...huge upgrade!!!

Geeze...

While it isn't going to happen, its not that outlandish.   A better record at a half million less, and for a program that doesn't have unrealistic expectations....yeah, that kind of a deal could easily happen.

LZH

« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2019, 07:02:42 pm »

How about we look earlier this year, and the coaching profession itself?   John Calipari was asked about the best coaching jobs in the SEC, and we were mentioned as the fifth job out of his mouth, which he described as the collection of quality jobs in the league.   Fifth. 

Either take the 5th or drink it!

Roy Bacon

• Bench Warmer

You're just being optimistic thinking Bama would hire Anderson !

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2019, 07:14:54 pm »

I'm ready for a change more than anyone but he isn't going to Bama. Mainly because they will hire much better. MA will land at solid mid major when leaves here.

HM P5 team if he ever leaves. A lot of people would love to have MA especially at these times. He’ll win a lot and go on a run too.

Freddy_Mercury

• Band Nerd

I hope.

LZH

They are smarter than that.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2019, 07:17:26 pm »

I guarantee you if Mike wants to go to Bama he would beat Arkansas like a drum every year.

Like a drum. Seriously. I want us to win, but that grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We’ve already learned this the hard way and I see some of the same taking shape.

rljjr

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2019, 07:24:01 pm »

It is beyond ludicrous for anyone to think MA would go to Bama. It doesn't even make sense. What does make sense is that Bama is invested in improving in basketball and making the NIT every year isn't what it thinks it should be doing. They're banking they can build on what AJ has built and improve on it.

It's silly to think any of this is Nolan related. This is about wins and losses.

MA isn't dumb. He hears the talk. His tenure has an expiration date and it's when the clock hits 00:00 at the end of the 2019-20 season. There is literally nothing he can do to save his job, short of winning the conference regular season, earning a seed between 1-4, making the sweet 16, and finishing the season in the top 25. He's only done one of those things in 8 years. The odds of any of it happening are not in his favor.

All I know is we've seen what MA is capable of, that he's hit his high-water mark, and that he's leaving a better program than he inherited. It's time to recognize your limitations, Mike. Thanks for the memories.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

It is beyond ludicrous for anyone to think MA would go to Bama. It doesn't even make sense. What does make sense is that Bama is invested in improving in basketball and making the NIT every year isn't what it thinks it should be doing. They're banking they can build on what AJ has built and improve on it.

It's silly to think any of this is Nolan related. This is about wins and losses.

MA isn't dumb. He hears the talk. His tenure has an expiration date and it's when the clock hits 00:00 at the end of the 2019-20 season. There is literally nothing he can do to save his job, short of winning the conference regular season, earning a seed between 1-4, making the sweet 16, and finishing the season in the top 25. He's only done one of those things in 8 years. The odds of any of it happening are not in his favor.

All I know is we've seen what MA is capable of, that he's hit his high-water mark, and that he's leaving a better program than he inherited. It's time to recognize your limitations, Mike. Thanks for the memories.

Alabama has doubled down twice on trying to improve by throwing money at their program, without getting measurable improvement; one could very reasonably argue they've regressed since Anthony Grant.

Alabama is in a position where it can either, for a third time, throw an ever growing pile of money at a problem and hope they guess right, or take a moment to breathe financially, and target a coach that's done better elsewhere in the same conference, for the same money.

It isn't to say Anderson is getting the job, but its not anywhere near out of line to say its the kind of lateral move that someone like Alabama would take pretty seriously.  Its not like there would be a bidding war for his retention.

Otis

• Varsity

While it isn't going to happen, its not that outlandish.   A better record at a half million less, and for a program that doesn't have unrealistic expectations....yeah, that kind of a deal could easily happen.

It doesn’t have unrealistic expectations but yet just fired a coach after 4 years?

East Clintwood

HM P5 team if he ever leaves. A lot of people would love to have MA especially at these times. He’ll win a lot and go on a run too.

Why hasn't he done that here?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas