• 10,270,361 Posts
• 407,562 Topics
• 23,311 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avery Johnson out at Alabama. Possible Alabama tries to get Mike Anderson?  (Read 5379 times)

HoopS

Why hasn't he done that here?
well one year you can blame Bs officiating against UNC. Other years,.....I got nothing.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....

It doesn’t have unrealistic expectations but yet just fired a coach after 4 years?

At that pay rate, no.   People forget that Alabama has or had better paid assistants than Kentucky at one point last year.   Avery was making essentially $3M+ a year, though the university only paid $2.9M --  still more than we paid our HC and our assistants combined.

And if Avery had won an NIT game or two, he'd still have a job.   

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Otis

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

At that pay rate, no.   People forget that Alabama has or had better paid assistants than Kentucky at one point last year.   Avery was making essentially $3M+ a year, though the university only paid $2.9M --  still more than we paid our HC and our assistants combined.

And if Avery had won an NIT game or two, he'd still have a job.

Complete and total speculation on your part  I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume you don’t have any direct line of contact with the Bama athletics director.

root_hawg

So I will admit, I am a booster at 2 schools, my undergraduate school and my doctorate school.  One is Arkansas, one is Alabama.  I can promise that Bama is NOT even thinking about MA.  They consider him less than what they have.  My understanding is that they are going to try and swing for the fences.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

Complete and total speculation on your part  I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume you don’t have any direct line of contact with the Bama athletics director.

You can see it from the outrage bloom that happened with the NIT loss.  It was Alabama's worst loss in almost 20 years-- and certainly by KENPOM, which tracks it as the worst loss in the history of their rankings, going back 18 years.  There was much more Fire Avery pressure last year, until he made the tournament.

Alabama was considered all but to have locked up 4 Top 100 recruits as well.    Really, I hope whoever ends up coaching us, is on the phone with those guys trying to flip them-- there is a real opportunity to pick up quality players and damage a competitor at the same time.

Oliver

Why would anybody in the SEC have any desire to hire Mike Anderson?

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian

The question will be what pressure the leadership at Alabama feels from the success Pearl is enjoying at Auburn and the run Barnes is making at Tennessee.

Here are five candidates that have been identified/written about in one article tonight on Fansided.com:

1. Steve Prohm
2. Andy Kennedy
3. Steve Alford
4. Gregg Marshall
5. John Pelphrey

And on Bama Hammer, they identified three tiers:

1. Fred Hoiberg and Steve Wojciechowski
2. Buzz Williams and Chris Beard
3. Steve Prohm and Eric Musselman

With a mention of one Rick Pitino...

Here is a quote from the article:

"Alabama basketball fans want Greg Byrne to hire a game-changer for the Crimson Tide. A coach who can transform Alabama basketball from a currently NCAA Tournament also-ran to a frequent Sweet Sixteen team and beyond."

Damn, that last part sounds familiar.

SONofHAM

Bama is not hiring Mike, but it would be really ironic if Mike replaced Pelphrey again.

But in all seriousness, I can see Bama promoting Pel if they strike out Prohm and others.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian

The question will be what pressure the leadership at Alabama feels from the success Pearl is enjoying at Auburn and the run Barnes is making at Tennessee.

If they do go big big with a hire,   I think that'll be the ultimate cause.    The question is how much $$ are they willing to spend.   They spent big and did nothing, with Avery.

Occams Razorback

• Bench Warmer
  • Pluralitas non est ponenda swine necessitate

The consensus is Mike Anderson's time on the hill is at a cross roads. The PTB do not want to fire Anderson due to the prior transgressions against the Richardson regime. Mike is 59 and had 5 to 6 more years of solid coaching still left. The Alabama job coming open leaves a chance for the Birmingham native to take a job in his home state which he has proven in the past he cares about when he took the UAB job. The provides Arkansas with a way out, gives Alabama a very respected hometown coach which they would have no trouble selling to their fan base, and provides Anderson a 4 - 5 year plan with a University willing to spend good money for a basketball coach. Just saying connect the dots.

“Prior transgressions against the Richardson regime” is not a fair statement. Would have been better to have said “Richardson’s unfounded suit against his employer and subsequent ruination of the University of Arkansas basketball program”

UnknownNobody

While it isn't going to happen, its not that outlandish.   A better record at a half million less, and for a program that doesn't have unrealistic expectations....yeah, that kind of a deal could easily happen.

So.."it isn't going to happen" but "it could easily happen"

Welp...the sage has spoken.

hawgfan4life

Swinging for the fences is going to cost them!  If they are willing to pay the money, they will get their man and can do better than MA who is better than what they had by most measurable facts despite the critics.  If MA isn't a consideration, no way they are considering Kennedy, Pelphrey, and a few others being mentioned. 

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!

No its not. There are large Boosters donations at every P5 Universities. None of them write blank checks especially for coaches. Fertitta has already had th me opportunity to do so for Herman’s and Kiffin. He balked

https://newsok.com/article/3580519/the-story-behind-boone-pickens-165-million-donation-to-osu

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/may/01/ua-philanthropist-smith-dies-in-la-2018/

http://www.espn.com/dallas/college-football/story/_/id/12205512/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-gives-1065-million-arkansas-razorbacks

Fertitta is different than Pickens, Smith, and Jerry Jones.  Fertitta is going to make sure monetarily Houston has the Coach that he wants.

Those amounts donated by Pickens, Smith, and Jerry Jones is pocket change for Fertitta.

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
Re: Mike Anderson
« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2019, 08:16:22 pm »

Correction, Arkansas was considered the second best job in the SEC. Define what you consider best? Pay we are 8th. Recruiting we are 5th. Expectations we are 2nd maybe.  If Arkansas was still that level Pelphrey and Altman would not have happened. The culture changed after 99 and has been on a steady decline for 20 years. Anderson was the doctor that stabilized the patient unfortunately I dont believe he will have the chance to seen it run again.
according to whom are we 5th in recruiting?  Masked Assassin=MA

Paul

« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2019, 08:29:26 pm »

I guarantee you if Mike wants to go to Bama he would beat Arkansas like a drum every year.
you're probably right...then they'll lose to Vandy in T-town

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2019, 08:44:20 pm »

according to whom are we 5th in recruiting?  Masked Assassin=MA
While I appreciate you thinking I am Mike. History over the last 20 years have shown Arkansas has pulled some relatively strong classes. I would rank them behind Kentucky of course. Florida has had solid classes over the years. Auburn LSU then Arkansas are all kind of the same tier. So I put them at 5 but there have been some very highly thought of classes that have come through here.

Sivad

Anderson won’t get a sniff from Alabama.
His record is too poor and they don’t give a twit about Nolan Richardson.

Screamster

• Varsity
« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2019, 09:15:34 pm »

Arkansas is considered the 2nd best Basketball Job in the SEC. Nobody is buying this.
25 years ago maybe but not when Mike got it.

ishankem

I don't think the Bama people have gone totally loco!

King Kong

Fertitta is different than Pickens, Smith, and Jerry Jones.  Fertitta is going to make sure monetarily Houston has the Coach that he wants.

Those amounts donated by Pickens, Smith, and Jerry Jones is pocket change for Fertitta.

Yet, i’ve provided you examples where he didn’t provide the money for the coach.

King Kong

« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2019, 09:44:43 pm »

25 years ago maybe but not when Mike got it.

When MA got the job Arkansas was considered the 3rd best job behind UK and FL.

Of course Florida’s lack of fan interest is what keeps them down. They wouldn’t even sale out home games when Billy D had them number 1
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:25:06 pm by King Kong »

HogBreath

It doesn’t have unrealistic expectations but yet just fired a coach after 4 years?

Kinda what I was wondering about too.  Avery Johnson might disagree with the professor on this one, lol.

Paul

« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2019, 10:22:52 pm »

While I appreciate you thinking I am Mike. History over the last 20 years have shown Arkansas has pulled some relatively strong classes. I would rank them behind Kentucky of course. Florida has had solid classes over the years. Auburn LSU then Arkansas are all kind of the same tier. So I put them at 5 but there have been some very highly thought of classes that have come through here.
last 20 years?  LOL

Smithian

It seems Alabama did a good job recruiting. Do they have any assistants out of a job we could look at? Perhaps someone with strong recruiting credentials, some head coaching experience? An associate head coach type?

I may need to research this.

WilsonHog

• Administrator

Here is what Alabama AD Greg Byrne said today about their search:

“In terms of what we’re looking for in a head coach: player development, college background, strong academics, NCAA compliance,” Byrne said. “Those will be four of the primary factors we will be looking at. We want a relentless recruiter, someone who has the ability to put together a great staff and recruits well and makes our student athletes better across the board.“

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!

Here is what Alabama AD Greg Byrne said today about their search:

“In terms of what we’re looking for in a head coach: player development, college background, strong academics, NCAA compliance,” Byrne said. “Those will be four of the primary factors we will be looking at. We want a relentless recruiter, someone who has the ability to put together a great staff and recruits well and makes our student athletes better across the board.“

Except for compliance, I think that eliminates MA. Trash this thread.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!

Somewhere, definitely another site, had Arkansas's composite recruiting under MA as NINTH among SEC teams over the past eight years.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

Actually, he may have better luck in Tuscaloosa. It is an easier sell than Fayetteville.

For football yes......for basketball not in a million years an easier sell.

HognotinMemphis

The consensus is Mike Anderson's time on the hill is at a cross roads. The PTB do not want to fire Anderson due to the prior transgressions against the Richardson regime. Mike is 59 and had 5 to 6 more years of solid coaching still left. The Alabama job coming open leaves a chance for the Birmingham native to take a job in his home state which he has proven in the past he cares about when he took the UAB job. The provides Arkansas with a way out, gives Alabama a very respected hometown coach which they would have no trouble selling to their fan base, and provides Anderson a 4 - 5 year plan with a University willing to spend good money for a basketball coach. Just saying connect the dots.
Alabama athletics has great leadership. As does the university. It cuts its losses and doesn't drag out an experience with a Houston Nutt or a Mike Anderson when it is obvious a coach cannot perform to the desired level. The Univ of Arkansas leadership has been poor for 20 years. From the AD to the Chancellors to the BOT. Just awful.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas